Life of an SBI Probationary Officer

Hi guys (and girls :: ) I have a close friend who recently joined SBI as a PO. I also know another friend whose father is a PO at SBI. I’m in and from Kolkata, West Bengal. I got a feeling from scanning the forums that a lot of people h…

Hi guys (and girls )

I have a close friend who recently joined SBI as a PO. I also know another friend whose father is a PO at SBI. I'm in and from Kolkata, West Bengal.

I got a feeling from scanning the forums that a lot of people here wanna know how life is a PO. So I kindly : thought of sharing my knowledge with you all.

Lemme go at it in an organised way:

Posting: It has been 6 months since my friend joined as a PO. The good news is that so far my friend hasn't been posted anywhere outside his native state. He says that most people are usually not sent anywhere outside their state during the probation period which is 2 years (talking about SBI). They keep shuttling from one place to another WITHIN their state. Now the bad news is that you will be posted from one centre to another after a period of time which varies from 4-6 weeks to 1-3 months! 4 weeks you are in Siliguri and then you are sent to Burdwan for a month and then to some other far-flung area for just 1 week. And so on. Its quite random.

The company will cut a little from your gross salary every month for lodging at all the different places ONLY if they are outside your city. But if the place of posting is in your city (no matter how far!) no lodging is provided.

My friend's gross is 24K something and his in-hand salary is 18K. But they won't give you free food anywhere. You need to bear your fooding expenses yourself wherever you go. The same goes for all travel and commuting expenses. You will usually be sharing your room with a fellow PO.

One things for sure folks: get ready for EXTENSIVE travelling when you are a PO! My friend often commutes for hours to his place of posting and then back home. At the end of the day, he's dead tired!

Perks: When you join as PO, you will be given 90K (wow!) to buy furniture! My friend says that they will give you this every year! Hmmmmmm :
Apart from this, there are no perks or incentives during probation.

Workload & nature of work: My friend says that job at the workplace is neither too tough nor too easy. You get lunchbreaks of course. I asked him about the kind of work he does. He says that you just need to be at your desk all day, do some paperwork, and interact with customers SOMETIMES.
For example if a customer comes and wants to know about or get a loan, he will be directed to you. Customers can't get to you as easily as they can get to the cashier. So direct customer interaction is limited, but its there. I haven't yet asked him too many details about the work he does and if the work varies from place to place. But its like any other corporate job. You can't just sit at your desk and have coffee all day. You will expected to PERFORM & pass certain written tests during probation of 2yrs.

After probation: I haven't asked my friend too much about life post-probation. But he said that even after probation period, your posting will change EVERY 2 years. How long this will continue I cannot say. I haven't asked him this. But another of my friend whose father is a PO still goes from one place to another every 2 yrs! :shocked:

Well thats it folks. If you have any more questions, feel free to tell me. I will ask my friends and let you know. :

My friend was about to sit for CAT again last year when this offer came along. So he gave up his MBA plans and went ahead with the PO offer. As far as I know, he does not intend to do MBA and will be settling with the bank job for life.

He says that his biggest complaint is that he can't do anything on a regular basis. For example he wants to join a gym and start training but because his place of living keeps changing so unpredictably, he's not able to do so. And he says he misses all his friends in his hometown whenever he's out of the city.

If you ask me, well: NOT INTERESTED!
Probably because I hate travelling and would prefer just a single place to go and work everyday. I'd be happier with a teacher's job in a school for less salary than this PO thing. But your tastes may vary. I was earlier very excited about this PO thing but not anymore. But it has its good points like job security, holidays in sync with national holidays, some perks etc.

Hope this helps you in making a better and informed career decision. All the best!

1 Like

As I had already said, ur tastes may vary. I respect ur views.

@stayamfiredme

have u been a po?
u wudnt say dis then!
at some point of ur life u will realise that working with 18k/month with some tuitions till you are 60 n dying a good death w/o bp, sugar n cholestrol n peace of mind is better than life till 55 with avgt 30k @ hand and death after say 10years..
sorry 4 d crude picture..a faculty isnt nly ur college/school guy.he cn teach in a professiional/mba firm with d same level of tension u get as a school teacher n much better pay.

and ther s dis thing called accountability in banks.
if u sit @ cash and hv a short of 45000rs u hav 2 pay dat 45k out of ur hand..
dnt tell me dats rare..i knw ppl to whom it happened..
and d tension n risk...d margine 4 error is l;east..even when u r in probation..otherwise u shud be a crocodile..full of thick skin n false tears.

having asaid this, i must say, ther r people who r good at it n slam me for this post.
i respect them!

all the best.
its ezy 2 knw some top notch positions in bankin field and think its all money n honey there.
ppl make a lot of assumptions, but ur line of sight seems to be banking leading to a girl..dat way its assurd, banking s d stuff 4 u.

and sbi is different, try top get there.
ur lyf myt be just differnrt frm ur uncles'..
i think i hd no reasn to post all these..nyway thot i will share al these since i was once a po.

b4 u gt in2 satyam, ur uncle ws in sbi ryt?
or u thot IT was better than banking?

@firedme i agree with all ur points.
1) its true. bank ppl get good and/or salaried girls for marriage.
2) the slogging is for initial period only.
3) respect. bank ppl are looked upon as ethical and sophisticated ppl. so there is high respect in society.
4 ) banks are sensitive organisations. you get leave medical quarters transfers per wish in case of domestic reasons.

satyamfiredme Says
WILL bankers get any hike in coming months :biggrin::lookround:

yes, but only after the next all india strike :biggrin:

hi , How good or relevant exp is a PO job while talkin MBA course from a reputed college.

very useful information.thanks bro

Hiiii,,
Its a nice info. I just got selected as a PO in state bank of mysore. I am also doing MBA in Pune. So I am bit confused which option is better and which 1 to choose.

Suman_nag Says
hi , How good or relevant exp is a PO job while talkin MBA course from a reputed college.

Hiiii,,
Its a nice info. I just got selected as a PO in state bank of mysore. I am also doing MBA in Pune. So I am bit confused which option is better and which 1 to choose.

both of u shud post ur query here.

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/career-discussions/50438-probationary-officers-test-aspirants-feb-758.html#post2298005

bhai log...throught pg a lot has been mentioned abt hw to crack sbi exam and also abt the life of an PO after joining but I what i want to knw is, what are the prospects of a po after 5-6 years in banking industry, does foreign transfer happen easily??? hw easy is switching jobs?? what are the package tht 1 can expect after lets say 4-5yrs in SBI or for that matter any other bank....PSU or private......what r th prospects of a banker in other industries.....may be consultancy etc etc........PG is filled with experts and am sure plenty of ppl bfre me wld hve had these questions........so puys please lemme knw what r ur thoughts.......

vipz Says
bhai log...throught pg a lot has been mentioned abt hw to crack sbi exam and also abt the life of an PO after joining but I what i want to knw is, what are the prospects of a po after 5-6 years in banking industry, does foreign transfer happen easily??? hw easy is switching jobs?? what are the package tht 1 can expect after lets say 4-5yrs in SBI or for that matter any other bank....PSU or private......what r th prospects of a banker in other industries.....may be consultancy etc etc........PG is filled with experts and am sure plenty of ppl bfre me wld hve had these questions........so puys please lemme knw what r ur thoughts.......

bhai padh le
aur passport bnwa le
pohich jayega foreign.

;)
vipz Says

answers to ur questions---

1)prospects of po after 5-6 yrs in banking industry..
ans- prospects are very gud but it depends on ur knowledge and availability of good pool of resources in industry.....

2)does foreign transfer happen easily ??
Ans- IN SBI,foreign postings have some preconditions or assignments wic shud be completed before applying for foreign posting like 2 years rural posting experience and some more assignments and clearing one particular exam for it then u can go for it easily....:):)

3)rest questions of ur posts
ans-switching job is easy but it depends whether u have signed bond with other bank or not...but sbi has no bond ..but oter banks have bonds these days....and scope of banking is wide as banking itself is vast industry but u have to search scope regarding ur interests....

and if u work in sbi as po for 3 yrs and have mba finance degree then u may get high package of about 14lac or even more in private and foreign banks but ur mba sud be full time......
@stayamfiredme

have u been a po?
u wudnt say dis then!
at some point of ur life u will realise that working with 18k/month with some tuitions till you are 60 n dying a good death w/o bp, sugar n cholestrol n peace of mind is better than life till 55 with avgt 30k @ hand and death after say 10years..
sorry 4 d crude picture..a faculty isnt nly ur college/school guy.he cn teach in a professiional/mba firm with d same level of tension u get as a school teacher n much better pay.

and ther s dis thing called accountability in banks.
if u sit @ cash and hv a short of 45000rs u hav 2 pay dat 45k out of ur hand..
dnt tell me dats rare..i knw ppl to whom it happened..
and d tension n risk...d margine 4 error is l;east..even when u r in probation..otherwise u shud be a crocodile..full of thick skin n false tears.

having asaid this, i must say, ther r people who r good at it n slam me for this post.
i respect them!

pls share ur experience other then SBI PO. are the live(salary/remuneration/facility/workload/etc.) same as SBI PO.
i am about to join uco bank .
Thanks a lot.

dosto koi kuch IT officers ke bare me bhi bata do. i just got selected as SBI Assisstant manager (system)

State Bank of India has announced 1500 PO vacancies
Check it Out here....>>
http://www.sbi.co.in/webfiles/uploads/files/1358846860536_SBI_PO_RECRUITMENT_ADVT.pdf

can soeone pls post some past year papers for sbi po and some tips for the exams..thnx in advance.

recent ad for sbi po s says that the salary will be 68k ... how far is it true? i was considering to apply..