Life @ NIRMA, Ahmedabad

Life @ NIRMA is all about fun, hard work, and striving to get the maximum out of the 24hrs of a day… Each day brings with it the dawn of a series of expectations, excitement, resolutions and apprehensions… :: Now its almost 2 months since w…

Life @ NIRMA is all about fun, hard work, and striving to get the maximum out of the 24hrs of a day.. Each day brings with it the dawn of a series of expectations, excitement, resolutions and apprehensions..
Now its almost 2 months since we began our life here @ NIM .. The induction program started on the 24th of June and went on for a week..

Then came a series of events.. We had Freshers party, Finance Conclave, FB Conclave, Talent Night, Sports Events..

A link for the news about the Finance Conclave that appeared in The Hindu Business Line :
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/08/26/stories/2005082602110600.htm

The infrastructure is just amazing out here..

We strive here to keep pace with the fast moving corporate world and prepare ourselves for the challenges ahead..

How's the Industry interaction in Nirma? Do you have regular visits from people from top companies?
Do you have any profs from IIM-A or MICA or IRMA coming for taking classes/electives (visiting faculty). After all NIRMA is near Ahmedabad.
How was the summer placements this year ?
Can you give me the approx percentile in CAT 2004 which was converted into an admission?
What is the approx total fee for MBA programme? Is a laptop required ?

We strive here to keep pace with the fast moving corporate world and prepare ourselves for the challenges ahead..
Life @ NIRMA is all about fun, hard work, and striving to get the maximum out of the 24hrs of a day.. Each day brings with it the dawn of a series of expectations, excitement, resolutions and apprehensions..
Now its almost 2 months since we began our life here @ NIM .. The induction program started on the 24th of June and went on for a week..

Then came a series of events.. We had Freshers party, Finance Conclave, FB Conclave, Talent Night, Sports Events..

A link for the news about the Finance Conclave that appeared in The Hindu Business Line :
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/08/26/stories/2005082602110600.htm

The infrastructure is just amazing out here..

😃 😃 How's the Industry interaction in Nirma? Do you have regular visits from people from top companies?
Do you have any profs from IIM-A or MICA or IRMA coming for taking classes/electives (visiting faculty). After all NIRMA is near Ahmedabad.
How was the summer placements this year ?
Can you give me the approx percentile in CAT 2004 which was converted into an admission?
What is the approx total fee for MBA programme? Is a laptop required ?

We had this finance conclave for two days and for two whole days we were with the industry guys.No classes and no assignments,only and only talks about the real industry life.

Than the last class of mkt was taken by the CEO of an advertising company.She was instrumental in RASNA'S success.

Before that we had many guest lectures from around 10 indusrty guys.These all in the first 2 months.
Our mkt club has tie up with IIM-A and MICA. So we attend their lectures as well.

WE will give u the summers information in due time.

Avg salary was 4.12lacs

people are in the range of 90 to 99.98 percentile.

total fees is 4 lacs and laptop is included in it.

any more queries....................
feel free to ask

Does Nirma has sectional cut-offs in CAT for selection for GD/PI? If yes can anybody give an idea about last years scenario? How important are graduation level marks?

quilon1982 Says
Does Nirma has sectional cut-offs in CAT for selection for GD/PI? If yes can anybody give an idea about last years scenario? How important are graduation level marks?

Hi

As such there was no cut off in CAT 4 selection for GD/PI.. but ofcourse you must have a good score in quants and DI...on the basis of these two can get call from NIRMA....

if u have qny further query, feel free to contact

we have another forum also --- NIRMA 2005 - 2007 on PG....
u can check that also....

Rajesh
MBA - I
NIRMA
quilon1982 Says

NIRMA will have sectional cut-offs this year, If you have a really low score in one section then it might be a problem, You can safely assume the Cut-offs to be some where around 70% -- 75% this time, Overall Cut off mey be around 88% but for conversion you need to be above 94% because most of the batch is 90+ this time and we expect it to go higher.The calls are in the Ratio of 1:8 so the competition is tough, If you have good work-ex then it will be a little easier

Regarding Industry Intercation....well you you wont get time to ask fer more....we have had a lot of speakers coming in in the first two months

CFO & MD of UB group
India partner of PWC
Chief Risk officer of IDBI
Risk manager of SBI CAPS
Risk manager of ICICI LOMBARD
Risk Manager from JP MORGAN
Head of Securities for HSBC
Partner of Delloite Haskins and Sells
Etc...
The list is long

And as it is turning out to be... end terms have appeared out of no where...
i mean we were pretty happy(??) doing all those assignments and projects..

and suddenly everyone is awed...
I guess the thought of getting some respite after end terms has energized everyone...
Some of the junta still trying to beat the deadline of term assignments...
and many others literally drowned in books, handouts, and case studies...
at times it is like a struggle to pull these chaps out tos their groove .. and force them to get some food..
everyone is trying the mighty best to improve the grades of mid term..
commerce ppl are infuriated that few engg.s ((many )) got better grades in accounting ... and enngg ones are puzzled by mystery of OB..
i guess this is an ongoing a tussle.. and would be hard to ignore...

as fas as i am concerned... i am trying to first catch up with my sleep
> and then try to solve the puzzles of mktng miz and off balance sheet items..

good luck to everyone facing any examination in any part of the world..

As we are approaching the much awaited diwali break..
the frenzy of activities are keeping us all busy..
firstly the msp project.. managing social projects.. its a 3 credit complusory course.. were we have to get assciated with an ngo and do a 6month project with them..

SO. first firstly we had ngos coming to campus telling us about themselves and the kind of projects they are currently working with.. we had viksat.. blind persons association.. prathma.. (blood bank).. and many others..

Then we had to visit these ngos.. and disucss more about that prepare a formal proposal for submission.. along with this we had to submit case analysis reports and ppts for other subjects..
QTMs... Financial management.. preparing Markieting Plans...
still .. life is great.. i guess after getting a hang of this life in first term. the normal life seems sloowww..

very true..
there is hell lot of activities going along.. as if every prof has suddenly realised that we would be away from college in diwali and they have thrown so many assignments that next week looks a distant dream..
and as the confirmation of companies are coming.. for the summers and finals.. things are getting more perplexing.. keeping upto date with gk and financial world on one hand and these assignments on other hand..
eagerly waiting for the summers interview.. (( and of course the vacations))

NIRMA will have sectional cut-offs this year, If you have a really low score in one section then it might be a problem, You can safely assume the Cut-offs to be some where around 70% -- 75% this time, Overall Cut off mey be around 88% but for conversion you need to be above 94% because most of the batch is 90+ this time and we expect it to go higher.The calls are in the Ratio of 1:8 so the competition is tough, If you have good work-ex then it will be a little easier

Regarding Industry Intercation....well you you wont get time to ask fer more....we have had a lot of speakers coming in in the first two months

CFO & MD of UB group
India partner of PWC
Chief Risk officer of IDBI
Risk manager of SBI CAPS
Risk manager of ICICI LOMBARD
Risk Manager from JP MORGAN
Head of Securities for HSBC
Partner of Delloite Haskins and Sells
Etc...
The list is long

wowwwww nirma is taking guys above 94 percentile thats a huge claim, even mdi takes some guys in that range .. i dont think it will be that high for nirma although no offence to your college i remeber a lot of guys getting calls and converting nirma at 75 percentiles with good sectional scores although i dont have any contacts with them now
rahine

lowest CAT score = 88.9%le (with work ex of 1 yr in IT)
highest CAT score= 99.xx%le
avg wud be arround 93-94%le (roughly, i dint calculate )

i think people with cat score above 90%le will surely get a GD/PI call. conversion depends upon ur performance in gd/pi.(NIRMA give 70% weightage tu cat score.)

hi...
I'm currently...in finay year of my btech!
I hav a good jobofer frm 1 of da leading s.w. company!
wat i wanted 2 ask was...
dat wud i b in abetter pos...after doin mba from nirma...in comparison 2 da s.w. industry!

Both...status an moneary!
waiting for da replies
thanx in advance

Dood ur totally wrong...i have not come across one single person in NIRMA who has a percentile lower than 89%...mayb the people you are talking made a jack*** of u.... ...neways happens...wait tile CAT results...take it from us CUT-OFFs would be above 88% and a conversion would be at arrnd 92%...Pacments have already started...we have seen companies like EnY,HONEYWELL,FLEXTRONCS...etc already saying yes fer recruitmentrs...

wowwwww nirma is taking guys above 94 percentile thats a huge claim, even mdi takes some guys in that range .. i dont think it will be that high for nirma although no offence to your college i remeber a lot of guys getting calls and converting nirma at 75 percentiles with good sectional scores although i dont have any contacts with them now
rahine

Depends on ur priorities...if u love coding and testing go ahead with your job..thats what ur gonna be doin anyways fer an year or so...if you want to get into an IT company in any functional area it makes sense fer u to do MBA frm a good institute...at NIRMA the regular recruiters frm IT sector are...Honeywell,TCS,Polaris,Patni,Hexaware,HCL etc...this year we expect INFY,Wipro,Bangalore Labs,Datamatics,Satyam etc. to come in as well....there are quite few guys from Big and medium sized companies like INFY,POLARIS,Applitech etc. who quit there jobs to take up NIRMA

Anoop801 Says
Depends on ur priorities...if u love coding and testing go ahead with your job..thats what ur gonna be doin anyways fer an year or so...if you want to get into an IT company in any functional area it makes sense fer u to do MBA frm a good institute...at NIRMA the regular recruiters frm IT sector are...Honeywell,TCS,Polaris,Patni,Hexaware,HCL etc...this year we expect INFY,Wipro,Bangalore Labs,Datamatics,Satyam etc. to come in as well....there are quite few guys from Big and medium sized companies like INFY,POLARIS,Applitech etc. who quit there jobs to take up NIRMA

Thanx a ton....for da advices!
Well...my situation goes like this...
I luv programming....etc... bt at da same time...I dn wanna joi in as a coder........jo har koi kar raha hai aaj kal....I want 2 start wid a higher level!

So.......wat do u say......I think i shud fill NIRMA now....

Thanx again!

hi this is tarun
good to see u on pg and really happy i didnt join a mgmt institute this year. it is definitely not for kecians. gotta review my plans for this year. well as of now it seems its like the shaadi ka laddoo. the ones who dont have it crave for it and the ones who have it are dying. well see u..

bye...

hi this is tarun
good to see u on pg and really happy i didnt join a mgmt institute this year. it is definitely not for kecians. gotta review my plans for this year. well as of now it seems its like the shaadi ka laddoo. the ones who dont have it crave for it and the ones who have it are dying. well see u..

bye...

Wats kecians???????????

again...i would say its up2 u...u have too c where all this fits in your priorities...if u take up coding u can be a PM in 5 r 6 years...that would be in operations...but if your interests lie in marketing, finance or HR i do suggest u do ur MBA...without it you would be paralysed...you would definitely start at a higher level after MBA...no harm in filling it in...the placement fer IT sector is raocking..and the average sal is arrnd 4.2L...so....

Thanx a ton....for da advices!
Well...my situation goes like this...
I luv programming....etc... bt at da same time...I dn wanna joi in as a coder........jo har koi kar raha hai aaj kal....I want 2 start wid a higher level!

So.......wat do u say......I think i shud fill NIRMA now....

Thanx again!
Anoop801 Says
again...i would say its up2 u...u have too c where all this fits in your priorities...if u take up coding u can be a PM in 5 r 6 years...that would be in operations...but if your interests lie in marketing, finance or HR i do suggest u do ur MBA...without it you would be paralysed...you would definitely start at a higher level after MBA...no harm in filling it in...the placement fer IT sector is raocking..and the average sal is arrnd 4.2L...so....

Thanx big bro.....will keep u informed