Life @ Mumbai Business School

MBA can make sense at any level as long as it makes sense to you. Doing MBA or not is a very personal decision people take this decision to move ahead in life (fresher(s), experienced(s)). As an individual I wanted to grow fast, I was facing lo…

MBA can make sense at any level as long as it makes sense to you. Doing MBA or not is a very personal decision people take this decision to move ahead in life (fresher(s), experienced(s)).
As an individual I wanted to grow fast, I was facing lot of stagnation in my job and recognitions were not able to stop my hunger of growth. TINA (There is no alternative) factor for MBA was becoming prominent; I planned taking GMAT and with crucial project deadlines and all I could not get a sexy score for ISB.
I always had this in mind; that selecting a B-school is like selecting a new life, one has to be clear that what he or she wants to achieve in life and then think whether the college they are eyeing at is capable enough to bridge that gap.
What one should look while selecting a B-school; is that whether this School can actually add fuel to one's dreams and desires nurture one by providing knowledge, so that one can protect them and ensures that he/she achieves them rather than making compromises. We just have one life, let's live to the fullest and ensure it gets everything best.
There are two ways to mitigate that gap. Read up or Go back to School. Going Back to School seems a better option as one has to learn in the right fashion and understand the concepts and perspectives. If one wants to lead or manage then one needs to have all the right tools. Hence selection of B-School becomes very crucial.
I kept myself always occupied to find out is there any college that can help me getting wonderful knowledge and career ahead rather I was looking for BATNA( Better AlTernative Next Available)
Finally I applied for Great lakes, Chennai and got call from Mumbai Business School, a School that has been started with much bigger Mission and Vision; and run by same management.
This is a college that gets you world's best faculties to teach you, best world's best management gurus like Padmashree Dr. Bala Balachandran(Professor at Kellogg university, consultant to Indian government and to various countries around the world, man behind ISB,MDI Gurgaon, Great Lakes Chennai) , Prof. Jagdish Seth(Marketing Guru, Professor at Emory university, consultant to best firms in the world like GE, Square D and author to more 200 article), and many more legends standing in front of you and teaching. Chief mentor here is one and only Dr. Sunil Rai (Ex Joint-Director S.P.J.I.M.R, key contributor to its success today). This dream College has been made alive by one of India's biggest entrepreneur Mr. A. Mahendran (Director Godrej).
The only B-school that is committed to fill all gaps, propel individual's career and delight industry by giving them "Day one job ready, Domain focus, Role customized Manager" is "Mumbai Business School". Only place to learn "next best practices".
I feel this is one of the BEST B-School to study. And with God's grace I am at best place.
-Shreeram Iyer( Ex. Satyam Associate)
MBSite
RNo#11

Thread moved to correct section.

20Maverick,

Please elaborate about the pedagogy, faculty, teaching, experiences, weaknesses, co-currics and extra-currics in your subsequent posts. That will make this thread useful for the future aspirants. Also try to rope in your batch mates.

Regards
AFC

Hey,

this is Bhushan here, i am a part of the MBS first batch...

Well as far as the faculty in MBS is considered, we get Prof. from some of the best B-schools in india and abroad. Also the course structure is such that only the industry relevant things are taught. only the things that are in vogue. Also the curriculum is made in such a way that most of the classes are discussion based. most of the studies are done through case studies and presentation.

As far as the Domains are concerned, we have almost finished disecting major 21 sectors of the indian economy. students have already done selecting their sectors and role of interest. I, for instance, have selected the hospitality industry, looking for HRM and Operations. You can choose any industry or domain u want, ur course will be modelled that way, so lot of customisation and role-modelling is done to groom u for ur dream job.

I guess today's the first day I have slept for 12 hrs..since joining MBS.. ....

hey should anyone you guys who are planning to join MBS.. shoot your questions out here... the students would do their best in answering them... when we find the time..:-P

Hi Carlito,

Could you explain more about the features of MBS?

Also it has been mentioned in the website that MBS has signed a collaboration agreement with PRMIA..........Please do elaborate on this....

Thanking you in advance.

Hey Prabhu,

MBS has a tie up with PRMIA wherein we will be havin PRMIA courses at our premises. These will be various programms on Risk Management, where in after givin 2 exams u will get a degree from PRMIA. So in a way we are academic partners with PRMIA, the only othe university to have such a tie up is ICMA, university of Reading. We are the second such institute in the world and first in India.

Hope ur querry is answered.

Thanks Bhushan!!

I believe that if you study the program in ICMA, university of Reading you are exempt from taking the first two levels of the PRMIA certification.

Would students of MBS also be exempt from the first two levels (PRM Exams I and II)?

Yes. Students of MBS will take PGPRM, in ICMA there's a masters in financial risk mgmt, if u do tht program only then u get the excemption. similarly with MBS if ur doin the PGPRM program u'll be excempted.

In addition to my earlier feed, the PGPRM is a different course and not a part of the PGPM program. they have a different fee structure and curriculum.

Is this PGPRM going to be a new course introduced in MBS?

I do not find any information about this on the website. Please do let me know as I am very much interested in Risk Management.

Thanks

I do not find any information about this on the website. Please do let me know as I am very much interested in Risk Management.

Thanks

Hi Prabhu,

Yes this is a new course which would be laucnhed shortly, It's been designed by Prof VS Girish who is also the regional director of PRMIA,

Incase you are interested in this course try to get in touch the college on the same, or if your in mumbai you can visit the college campus, feel free to contact me I could arrange for a meeting with Prof.

Thanks

With all due respect to the management of MBS and the students of MBS who had take admission already i would like clarify a issue that is still confusing me to go for MBS or not.

I had gone to the site of chennai Business school ( whose programe is on the similar line of ISB, MBS, GLIM......etc) . This school was started on 2004 . But my main concern is that the management of this school has some big names and some of them are also on the board of MBS . Since the Chennai business school was a flop show (castrophic school) and down the line 5 years its nowhere in the top 50 schools of India .......how can i trust the MBS .

Chennai business school has many big names associated/govening/magement peoples like MD of Ashok leyland ), Jaymsed godrej (Chairman and MD of Godrej &Boyce;, Some one related to godrej is aslo in tHe board of MBS) , Ashok shoota (chrm and MD of Mindtree ), Piyush Pandey (O& M), Santosh desai ( CEO Future brands ,this guy is also on the board of MBS), and amny big names . i have attached the whole list in this thraed pls refer if you can access or visist the Chennai business school web site and chek them out.

See the placements there worst , i wonder if the avg is 3.5 lacs or not.

Please clear my confusion.

Since Bala is a person on advisory council and not direcly related to college performance they may vanish a year later....and also who can w trust ......can anyone form MBS clarify pls.

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/mumbai-business-school-25036064

With all due respect to the management of MBS and the students of MBS who had take admission already i would like clarify a issue that is still confusing me to go for MBS or not.

I had gone to the site of chennai Business school ( whose programe is on the similar line of ISB, MBS, GLIM......etc) . This school was started on 2004 . But my main concern is that the management of this school has some big names and some of them are also on the board of MBS . Since the Chennai business school was a flop show (castrophic school) and down the line 5 years its nowhere in the top 50 schools of India .......how can i trust the MBS .
Chennai Business School
Chennai business school has many big names associated/govening/magement peoples like MD of Ashok leyland ), Jaymsed godrej (Chairman and MD of Godrej &Boyce;, Some one related to godrej is aslo in tHe board of MBS) , Ashok shoota (chrm and MD of Mindtree ), Piyush Pandey (O& M), Santosh desai ( CEO Future brands ,this guy is also on the board of MBS), and amny big names . i have attached the whole list in this thraed pls refer if you can access or visist the Chennai business school web site and chek them out.
Chennai Business School
See the placements there worst , i wonder if the avg is 3.5 lacs or not.

Please clear my confusion.

Since Bala is a person on advisory council and not direcly related to college performance they may vanish a year later....and also who can w trust ......can anyone form MBS clarify pls.
Chennai Business School

Roky,

First of all let me make it clear that there is no relationship between Chennai Business School and Mumbai Business School except both the names sounds similar

I find your question quite illogicalIf some big names are associated to CBS and similarly some other few big names are associated to MBShow one can state that whatever happened to CBS will happen to MBS Moreover I couldnt find any common big names associated with both the b-schools....

Our whole pedagogy/course curriculum is completely different from CBSWe take mainly candidates who have considerable amount of work experienceThere they mainly take fresher

People have started getting externship offersHDFC, L&T;, Siemens, Kotak, Al seer group (Dubai), NCDEX to name a fewThis shows that Industry has accepted our pedagogyand this give a encouragement to move forward further

For your kind informationTill yesterday we had Dr. Balas classHe had conducted 20 hours class on Management accountingHe is not here for the sake of it

Mr. Mahendran (our chair person) and Dr. Bala are associated not only in MBS but also in Great lakes institute of management

Thanks
Siva
MBS'10

Siva ,

regarding the externship offers that u have mentioned ......students form other small unknowm B-schools also get externship/internship offres form these company ( take this for granted) but what matters is the profile they work or the responsibilities they work on. Can i know what responsibilities these students will be carrying on during externship ......will they be working on those profile so that they can atleast be placed with above 7 to 8 lacs net fix ctc ?

Dear Rocky

Pick any business school in this world ,nobody will tell you what is the profile you will work on and what will be your pay after the course .

Regarding the roles ,which we will work upon ,it will be based on our previous experience and knowledge , which happens in any B School.

Regarding the similarity between CBS and MBS , I dont know about the CBS'much so I would not comment and going by your comments also i do not think you have enough information on that school. If you have please share.

We have the Names from both Academic and Corporate world and they hold stakes in the college . Bala and Jagadish Sheth are just not the advisor they are stake holders as well.

Regarding any specific doubt you could mail me any time at [email protected]

Hi carlito / whitetiger,
I have gone thru your previous posts wherein u had expressed concerns about joining the institute.Now after having joined it, how do you feel? Do u think u have made the right decision / is the institute at par with your expectations?
I am thinking whether to join the institute or not.I have a GMAT score of 630 and 5 yrs of work ex in IT industry.

Hi carlito / whitetiger,
I have gone thru your previous posts wherein u had expressed concerns about joining the institute.Now after having joined it, how do you feel? Do u think u have made the right decision / is the institute at par with your expectations?
I am thinking whether to join the institute or not.I have a GMAT score of 630 and 5 yrs of work ex in IT industry.

Hi Vaibhav,

Yes, I am 100% confident I have made the right decision, This is a fantastic Institute, superb professors, great learning experience, enriched corporate guest lectures, international faculties, all in all MBS Rocks!!, 5 months into my studies and am simply loving it out here... Incase you have queries do get back to me, or u can PM me. If your in Bombay you can get in touch with me directly, give me number and I will call you.

Carlito!

Hi Carlito,

This is Ankit...I have a work exp of 2 yrs in IT Industry and am planning to join MBS . ... Just wanted to know first hand regarding the Placement , the Companies and the package offers in MBS...
Please help me out ...
Thanks in advance.