Life@IWSB

Now that we are up and running, its time the world gets to know what we call "Life@IWSB !! Calling all IWSBians, the inaugral pgp batch to contribute and help create awareness about our beloved alma mater.

Now that we are up and running, its time the world gets to know what we call "Life@IWSB !!
Calling all IWSBians, the inaugral pgp batch to contribute and help create awareness about our beloved alma mater.

Why is a B School looking forward for students who have applied for CAT/ XAT in the last two years?

Isn't it slightly confusing?

I mean my brother appeared in CAT last year and at present is working with Wipro....he can also apply and I am appearing in CAT this year...even I can apply....

It appears that at one hand IWSB is looking at one more mode of admissions which is Work Ex + CAT....I am not sure how would that come in at the admissions cycle because CAT last v/s CAT this year, how could someone compare results of these two tests?

Also some more apprehensions which i carry with me is that the website talks about "Entrepreneurial Leadership" ...what is that...does that mean that students who passout are entrepreneurs...or what? also the biggest issue that brings to me as this is a new institute how do you guys in the alumni look at this....

And moreover its a new school and nowadays every Tom, **** and Harry seems to open up a B School? What is the guarantee that students would get a good placement from the institute...though the website talks about Google, HUL, Birlasoft as some of the recruiters...but looks like a bit early to get this on....

These three elements are a bit new to the Indian context...though my brother in Wipro telle me that the above three are the facts in most of the US B Schools? Does anyone tell me if IWSB is trying to copy the US model???

Firstly thanks for showing interest in IWSB.
The answer your first question is quite simple,
What according to you do apptitude test's like CAT or XAT test in a student?
Apptitude....right?
So if this is true and coupled with the fact that the difficulty level of thse xams stays d same ovr the years then i think its perfectly logical to accept scores of the past two years, exccept in an event whre a student might loose his/her sanity!!!
As far as comparison of this year and last CAT results is concerned be rest assured we aren't evn remotely tryin to do that!!
Like i said these exams merely test ur aptitude and hence give us at IWSB an indication of ur proficiency levels.
Secondly, IWSB which is an Initiative of the Career Launcher Education Foundation is an Entrepreneurial Venture itself, hence the fact that we stand for Entrepreneurial Leadership, moreover we offer a Majors in Entrepreneurship taught by some of the most well known entrepreneurs themselves!!!
The students who pass out have the choice of becoming entrepreneurs and we have a Business Incubation Centre on Campus to support them, the rest get placed thru our Career Services like any othr B-School...hope this clears the confusion?
Lastly, yes it a new B-School but certain thngs lk:
1. Backed by the CL brand.
2. The people associated with the Institute( Imgne being taught by people lk Prof. Ishwar Dayal, Prof Kuldeep Mathur, Prof. Mirza Sayadin etc.)
3. The course curriculum (Courses like Man and Society, Geo Political Environment,Majors in Strategy etc.)
4. The industry exposure
are just some of the thngs that set us apart and repose faith in the fact that the first batch is 70% work ex with ppl having 7yrs+ of experince, so obviously they've given it a thought before taking the plunge!!!
Now, our four pillars and not three that u refer to are prefectly applicable in the Indian Context and also to the values that we envisage to inculcate in ppl lk me who chose to study at IWSB!!!
Regards
Sahil Singh
Students Council 08-10
IWSB

Hi Catbuster,

Your questions are very valid. On the validity of last year's scores, what comes to my mind is whether a 99 percentiler in 2007 is better/worse than a 99 percentiler in 2008. If such a person was worthy of being selected by a good b-school last year, then how does she/he become a reject this year? Are we saying that the CAT/XAT are so unreliable as tests that one year's scores (in percentile) cannot be compared with the next year's? If that is the case then the quality of students at, say, IIM A is varying from year to year? BTW, all good US schools accept GMAT scores upto the last 3 years.

I took a look at the iwsb website and read what is said on entrepreneurial leadership. It seems that entrepreneurial leaders are those that behave like entrepreneurs - be it in their own business or in any other company where they are employed.

Howz your CAT prep going? Hope you bust the CAT 😃

Hi Catbuster,

Your questions are very valid. On the validity of last year's scores, what comes to my mind is whether a 99 percentiler in 2007 is better/worse than a 99 percentiler in 2008. If such a person was worthy of being selected by a good b-school last year, then how does she/he become a reject this year? Are we saying that the CAT/XAT are so unreliable as tests that one year's scores (in percentile) cannot be compared with the next year's? If that is the case then the quality of students at, say, IIM A is varying from year to year? BTW, all good US schools accept GMAT scores upto the last 3 years.

I took a look at the iwsb website and read what is said on entrepreneurial leadership. It seems that entrepreneurial leaders are those that behave like entrepreneurs - be it in their own business or in any other company where they are employed.

Howz your CAT prep going? Hope you bust the CAT :)

Xactly my point!!!:cheerio:

Also totally agree wid u on wat u hv 2 say bout entreprenuerial leadershp.....its much mre than being a mere entrepreneur!!!
Guys, I think...I'll take some time to get some message out of this but what looks at the face value is that Entrepreneurial Leadership is a good concept...and I am sure that it sounds something good.
Sahil, how can someone teach entrepreneurship, I am keen to know about it.

U knw wat Suveena, bfore gettin here evn i thght xactly d same way!!!
But then hw does this sound....spending one and a half hour a day, over 30 sessions wid ppl like Sridar Iyengar, Mahesh Murthy, Satya, Shantanu Prakash and Sreeni.....???
I strongly believe dat one will gain something atleast...........and adding to this d curricullum itself is designed in way that it gives us a Core Application poject, a Summer Internship and a Multidiscilplinary project and what not!!!
So hoping that one comes out wiser...!!!
Lastly, the life here is a whole lotta fun too.....so its all gud!!!
Sahil,

I read your post but have some things to know about IWSB.

Your website talks about some adventure where I see some students climbing a hill on a rope. Is adventure also a part of IWSB academics...if yes how?

And how does a student learn in an environment so very outside the classroom...as some of the pictures state on the website?

Yup, adventure as u call it is a part of our curriculum(We call it Experiential Learning)......the photos u c are frm our first outbound trip to the himalayas.

Infact, ull b surprised to knw hw enlightening thse outbound's can be, my batch can vouch for this.

As far as learning frm thse trips is concerned, there is one word to describe it....Experiential Learning.....!!!
Really helps you in getting to know ur peers, how u react in different situations, ur group dynamics etc.

Hope this clears ur confusion and lemme knw if their is anythng else i can help u wid?

Rgds
Sahil
Thats very interesting. Going to Himalayas for learning Management. I never thought that Management learning could be that much fun.
Experiential Learning - if I interpret it right would mean, learning through experience, looks like a nice manner of learning.

You've hit the nail on the head!!!
It is indeed a whole lotta fun, but then that's shortlived, the academic rigour of the course is really demanding!!
All in all it is an experience to say the least...............
Chao

I see this thread turning more into a 'how is IWSB' thread. We already have one of those!
As far as Life@IWSB goes, its one hell of a balanced ride. Let me explain. Like all decent b-schools, the academics take up a major chunk of our life. The difference, atleast how I feel and Sahil would agree with me here, is in the ride itself. The teaching methodology, the assignments and even the environment here are something to write home about. Our institute is a boundryless organisation wherein we can approach any of the faculty members directly, and heck, we address most of them by their first names! And this forms a significant part of the IWSB culture.
Oh and the subjects we study, like Geo-Political Environment (which, by the way, is taught in only a few b-schools worldwide) in term 3, Man and Society in term 2(going on right now) and Motivation in term 3 et al are unique to IWSB (atleast in India) and these subjects go way beyond books, heck there are no books for a bunch of them! They've been put there to help mould us into aware individuals, and not just run of the mill managers. So my point here is that our time here at IWSB isnt just about learning a bunch of subjects that 'should' be known to a future manager, its about becoming well rounded individuals - 'coz one needs to know thyself before knowing everything else.

Anish Arora
IWSB 2008-10

Thank you for showing interest in IWSB.......we at IWSB are also looking forward to the 2009-2011 Batch.
Hope you are a part of the batch!!!
All the best.........

Rgds
Sahil

dear students,
please feel free to post your quaries about iwsb anytime or contact me at [email protected]
regards,
goutam kumar
pgp 2008-10,
IWSB.

Gautam, I appreciate your helping nature...but can we handle the inquires at "how is iwsb"? can we have this thread for discussing our experience ???

hi

i hv got a call frm iwsb on d basis of my performance in mocks.
i wish 2 know wether it is really a gud colg or not?
does iwsb provides campus placement?
what is d avrg package 4 any passout of dis colg???
i have also heard dat iwsb does not have separate hostels for girls and boyz.....
is it true????
can any1 help me regarding dez questions??????

Hi Amreen,
First of all, congratulations for getting a call from IWSB.:clap:

College is really good, class apart, in one word-AWESOME. All of us(both the batches of PGP) are highly satisfied regarding "Just everything".

Final placements are about to start, in the month of January. Many big companies have agreed for placements. So, exact about packages can't be given. But ya, we have a track record of summer placements in the companies like BBC, Educomp, Capgemini, AstraZeneca, APL, OUTLOOK, EMERSON etc with valuable projects and handsome stipends. And the final placements are supposed to be on the same track...
you can view more information on regarding placements by clicking on the link given below.
Indus World School of Business - Industry Engagement and Placements

About hostels, hostel of girls and boys are on different floors.

some of the recent pics of the new campus

Hello Friends...
Anyone who want to know more about IWSB should check this out..

Four B-schools that started out as obscure, unaffiliated institutes are now trendsetters with unique methodologies

In a recent research study carried out at IIM Ahmedabad's Ravi J Matthai Centre for Educational Innovation, four B-schools were named trendsetters in business education.
They are Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad; Great Lakes Institute of Management (GLIM), Chennai; School of Inspired Leadership (SOIL), Gurgaon; and Indus World School of Business (IWSB), Greater Noida.
Sanjeev Bhalla, who was a student of IIM Ahmedabad's 2009-10 postgraduate programme for executives (PGPX) batch, carried out the study under the guidance of two professors. He found one common feature in the above B-schools none had the mandatory approval from All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE). Walking out of the club, GLIM recently got the much-needed approval and is currently the only B-school that offers a one-year management programme. There is one other similarity between these emerging B-schools pertaining to the duration of programme. All of them, barring IWSB, run one-year programmes. This is unlike other B-schools, all of which offer two-year postgraduate management diplomas.
Conventionally, one-year programmes are run for working executives who are looking for `compacted' management education. Some of the institutes go on to cut out summer internship from the curriculum.

As all students have already worked in the industry for a minimum of two years, they don't need to undergo internship. The normal 72-week programme spread over two years is taught in the period of 50 weeks, says Prof TN Swaminathan, director, external relations, GLIM.

The selection process for all these B-schools is different from other Indian Bschools. While ISB and Great Lakes use GMAT as the selection criterion, SOIL takes a leadership assessment test, while IWSB has a comprehensive approach to accpeting students.

We eliminate applicants through exams such as CAT/ XAT and later, we test their problem-solving skills by making them play Tower of Hanoi (a mathematical puzzle using three rods and discs of different sizes) before interviewing them, says Satya Narayanan R, cofounder, IWSB. Vital stats of the trendsetters Indian School of Business, (ISB) Hyderabad Fee: $ 40,000 (R18.40 lakh approx) Programme duration: One year USP: Faculty from top B-schools in the world Can change: Exorbitant fee Established in 2001 with the launch of its flagship programme, the post-graduate programme in management (PGPM), ISB was set up in a vast campus spread over 260 acres. From an initial class of 126 students, the school currently has 571 students in the Class of 2011. Thanks to its coveted tie-ups with international Bschools such as Kellogg and Wharton, ISB draws students who dump offers from the likes of Oxford and Yale in its favour.
Within a short span of ten years, ISB has made a mark for itself as a premier B-School in India.
Accepting a diverse mix of students from different industries and backgrounds, holding the GMAT score as a selection criterion, promoting international-quality research are a few firsts for ISB.
Recently, ISB was listed among the top 12 global B-schools by the Financial Times annual MBA 2010 rankings. It is on its way to set up its second campus at Mohali, Punjab. The first academic session at the ISB campus in Mohali is expected to commence in 2012.
Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai Fee: R11.22 lakh (including hostel stay) Programme duration: One year USP: Tie-up with the Yale University, AICTE approval Can change: Average pay package falls short of the fee charged This is one B-school where students with a minimum work experience of two years are admitted but the class average usually runs to three-and-a-half years. We choose students from diverse backgrounds, which augments peer learning. When people come from different industries, they learn from each other's experience, says Prof TN Swaminathan, director, external relations, GLIM. The 28-acre campus has a student-faculty ratio of 13:1. Every week, students attend two lectures delivered by industry captains, such as Ratan Tata and Rahul Bajaj.
After spending a year and a little more than R11 lakh, you are well on your way to earning a handsome salary in the corporate world. We believe in the moneyvalue of time, adds Swaminathan. However, be warned that the compact programme calls for strenuous work.
Students are normally pushed hard and forego weekly offs. We don't give any leave on Sundays.
The curriculum is run on a 24X7 model, adds Swaminathan.
School of Inspired Leadership (SOIL), Gurgaon Fee: R9 lakh (for business leadership); R7.36 lakh (for marketing/ HR leadership) Programme duration: One year USP: Promoted by an industryled consortium Can change: Just one batch old, it's run from a building in Gurgaon From live projects to working with NGOs, students at SOIL learn everything through a curriculum designed by an industry consortium.
It is the only B-school co-founded by companies such as Infosys, Dabur, Glaxo-Smithkline etc.
These companies play a role at every level from shortlisting the students, to designing the curriculum and of course, at the time of recruitment, says Nishchae Suri, president, SOIL and former partner, Hewitt Associates.
SOIL offers quite personalised learning where each student is given a learning plan on the basis of his/ her strengths and weaknesses. Each student is mentored by an industry person of the vicepresident or director level who is mandated to spare two to three hours a month with the mentee.
Students work not only on live projects, but also spend one day in a week (Wednesday) in one of the 16 partner NGOs.
Students are selected on the basis of Leadership Assessment Test (unlike CAT /MAT/ GMAT) conducted by Caliper, a USbased company.
Around 30 to 40 per cent of the faculty comes from the likes of Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and Ohio. And, when they come here, they take the entire course (read module, not the entire programme), adds Suri.
Indus World School of Business, Greater Noida Fee: Around R5 lakh for two years (excluding boarding and lodging) Programme duration: Two years USP: Focus on entrepreneurship, reasonable fee Can change: You spend two years, but still get an unapproved diploma While tutoring thousands of Bschool aspirants every year, Career Launcher made a back-up plan for those who couldn't make the cut. It opened its own Bschool Indus World School of Business (ISWB). Its uniqueness lies in the fact that it prepares students to run their own enterprises rather than joining the corporate world and managing someone else's business.
ISWB, spread over a five-acre campus at Greater Noida's Knowledge Park also runs an entrepreneurship competition known as `Srijan' where B-school students from around the country take part. It also runs a Entrepreneurs' Society, called `Disha'. The college runs a $1-million fund, which allots seed money for projects proposed by IWSB students. The institute incubates the start-ups on campus. Co-founder R Sreenivasan, an IIM-B alumnus, says, Rather than becoming glorified clerks, we want our students to think laterally and be willing to dirty their hands. We don't encourage them to join big multinationals. They are trained to join small but growing companies so that their position is not eight or ten layers away from that of the CEO and their contribution is acknowledged fast. Jaydeep Mandal, an IT engineer who finished his MBA at IWSB in 2010, runs Renaissance, a consulting firm. He says, I joined IWSB as it focuses on entrepreneurship and boasts of a faculty which sits on the board of big companies.

Link for reading it online:
B-schools set new trends

Thanks and Regards
Akanksha Jain
Member: Outreach Team
Phone: 9873863258

IWSB's first term gets over. Enjoyed each and every moment of life here at IWSB . A few glimpses of the first term posted by my friend Rustam. Check it out.

A Term to Remember We Are IWSBians !

what is the course fee..................??