Life@ISB

Taking the privilege to open this thread… I guess there is a fair number of PG regulars in the batch of 06. So, together, we will try to keep this thread updated with life or the lack of it at ISB, Hyderabad. Will try to key in 'Percepti…

Taking the privilege to open this thread....

I guess there is a fair number of PG regulars in the batch of 06. So, together, we will try to keep this thread updated with life or the lack of it at ISB, Hyderabad.
Will try to key in 'Perceptions & Realities' about things like batchmates, faculty, Infrastructure, life in a 1 yr MBA course, & whatnot....
& Yes, to begin with ... Food is good. As usual, breakfast is the best meal.

So, as of now, Term I begins today. Had pre-term courses (optional) & orientation in past 2 weeks. Overall feel has been quite hectic but no real pressure.

will post more soon...

~amit

Hi all PGites,

Good initiative.... Hope this goes on with the rigour of the course.....

I wish all the ISB students all the best for their MBA stint.... now while updating please throw more light on the subjects that they are covering, mode of pedagogy, profs profiles ( i know they come from the three best schools in the world... which in turn sky rockets the fees) .....
neways ISB is surely the school of the future... So i really wanted to know how they are progressing which will help immensely when i join IIMB this june end... also looking for entreprenuers/business partners for long term professional relationships.... :)
keep the thread alive......

Regards
Mohit

Learning curve is now starting to look a li'l too steep now .. (atleast for me ) .. dunno whether I will be able to handle the dilemma of advance reading for next day v/s revision for today's classes. v/s chill out. v/s indulge in a intangibly beneficial gyaan exchange session with a fellow classmate.

anyways.. teething issues I guess.
ummmm Lemme talk abt a coupla non acad things here at ISB..
First .. called as the Pool Dunking Tradition.
Originally supposed to have started with the idea of dunking the birthday boy/girl in the swimming pool in recreation center. But as it turns out, most of the junta, including bystanders, do themselves get drunked. Some pics here.

Second.. the parties .. generally .. are called mirror pool parties. Somebody (I couldnt still understand who & how) gets a jockey & drinks bar onto one of the mirror pools in one of the student villages. & Then you can have a blast all nite long. I attended one such. Was great fun.

Hi all PGites,

Good initiative.... Hope this goes on with the rigour of the course.....

I wish all the ISB students all the best for their MBA stint.... now while updating please throw more light on the subjects that they are covering, mode of pedagogy, profs profiles ( i know they come from the three best schools in the world... which in turn sky rockets the fees) .....
neways ISB is surely the school of the future... So i really wanted to know how they are progressing which will help immensely when i join IIMB this june end... also looking for entreprenuers/business partners for long term professional relationships.... :smile:
keep the thread alive......

Regards
Mohit

hi Mohit .. as for ur questions.. Term I has 4 core subjects . Fin Acc, Managerial Eco, Stats, Marketing Mgmt. Mode of pedgagogy .. mostly case based. some theory in Eco. Profs .. 2 profs this term are from Wharton, 1 from kellogg & 1 ISB permanent faculty.To say that they are good would prolly be an understatement. Nice, energetic guys. Make the class a enjoyable experience.

as far entreprenuers.. too early for me to point one in our batch.. But I guess you can contact Shameek , known as arboreal on this forum. He is quite interested in entreprenuership..

& yes .. Ramki, shameek, Vineeth, et all guys .. do keep updating this thread with what you feel

& yeah.. for anyone interested in ISB life.. a coupla blogs might serve better ..

way2top.blogsome.com
autography.blogspot.com

hth ..

~ amit
Learning curve is now starting to look a li'l too steep now .. (atleast for me ) .. dunno whether I will be able to handle the dilemma of advance reading for next day v/s revision for today's classes. v/s chill out. v/s indulge in a intangibly beneficial gyaan exchange session with a fellow classmate.

anyways.. teething issues I guess.
ummmm Lemme talk abt a coupla non acad things here at ISB..
First .. called as the Pool Dunking Tradition.
Originally supposed to have started with the idea of dunking the birthday boy/girl in the swimming pool in recreation center. But as it turns out, most of the junta, including bystanders, do themselves get drunked. Some pics here.

Second.. the parties .. generally .. are called mirror pool parties. Somebody (I couldnt still understand who & how) gets a jockey & drinks bar onto one of the mirror pools in one of the student villages. & Then you can have a blast all nite long. I attended one such. Was great fun.

hi Mohit .. as for ur questions.. Term I has 4 core subjects . Fin Acc, Managerial Eco, Stats, Marketing Mgmt. Mode of pedgagogy .. mostly case based. some theory in Eco. Profs .. 2 profs this term are from Wharton, 1 from kellogg & 1 ISB permanent faculty.To say that they are good would prolly be an understatement. Nice, energetic guys. Make the class a enjoyable experience.

as far entreprenuers.. too early for me to point one in our batch.. But I guess you can contact Shameek , known as arboreal on this forum. He is quite interested in entreprenuership..

& yes .. Ramki, shameek, Vineeth, et all guys .. do keep updating this thread with what you feel

& yeah.. for anyone interested in ISB life.. a coupla blogs might serve better ..

way2top.blogsome.com
autography.blogspot.com

hth ..

~ amit

Great post... keep the information pouring.......

Regards
Mohit

Ummm...ISB!!!

Very little known abt the life @isb(am not sure there r other threads on ISB though)....sure interested in this thread...

Waiting for more info.......

Hey common on guys @ ISB...

What happened.. take initiative and keep posting....
Hey common on guys @ ISB...
What happened.. take initiative and keep posting....

Hey Monoguru,
I think it wud b nice if u let the ISB junta do the posting here.....

Sorry guys.. didnt post for a long time here. to be honest, I forgot this thread .

5 weeks into term I, heres how am feeling ..
(copied from my blog)
Life finally seems to be settling into B School ways. Getting up at 7:30 AM to attend classes or slogging for Econ assignment or fighting with the groupmates over marketing case is now becoming acceptable. Thats going to be the way life for next 10 or so months. & I am not complaining!

When I first came to this place, all I heard was that life would be hell. 1 yr MBA is not for weak hearted, blah blah blah. Dont think its that bad. Lot of it is hype. Ultimately it all boils down to simple things like managing your time well. There would always be people who would excel in acads, participate in extra cirriculars & not miss on the other learning aspects as well. Only thing is ... they operate at better efficiency levels. & I think a B School punishes you for not being efficient. Its not an option.

The part about ISB I am liking most is .. the sublime quality of faculty & the opportunities available to improve yourself.
Enough has been said about faculty already. I wouldnt harp on that much more but only thing I can say after 4 weeks here is that a great prof can make a difference between going over a subject & really liking it.
As regards opportunities .. the clubs activities & the talks by Biz leaders are best examples.
Clubs give you access to people who are also focussed on your area of interest. Obviously most people see it as an activity to improve the marketibility of their resume but if properly done, I believe these activities will make one a better person.

Regular talks are another interesting thing here. Every now & then some biz leader comes to share his insights about his career, company & Biz world in general. Yogesh Gupta, the CTO of Computer Associates came last week to share his wisdom about succeeding in IT industry. Today, Mr. Thierry Moulonguet, EVP & CFO of Nissan Worldwide shared his gyaan about famous turnabout that Carlos Ghosn & his team brought about at Nissan.Perfect example of globalisation. A Brazilian born manager turned around an alliance between a reeling Japanese automaker with a French company. He vowed to quit if Nissan didnt turn profitable soon !

We have a panel discussion tomm titled 'Do B-Schools add value?'
& it is being attended by Arun Maira of BCG India, IIMA's director & 3 other industry executives. These guys know more about B School education in Indian that anybody else. Would be interesting to hear from the horse's mouth.

Only crib in life now seems to be that this class is too competitive. When most of the class scores 90%+ in assignments, it does create a lot of peer pressure. & Frankly, I dont understand why everybody should be running after grades. Only the consults/I Banks look for grades. & 90% of class aint gonna be landing in a McK or a GS by any measure of imagination. Then why screw up the entire experience only mugging up & fighting for every single mark. There was a concern raised by one of the profs about purpoted honor code violation taking place for assignment submission (ppl are not supposed to collaborate to complete assignments unless mentioned otherwise). I dont understand this, when everybody realises that there is an incentive to break the rules or atleast a disincentive to follow the rules, how can violation not take place. Blame the Mck's & GS's of the world. I hope majority understands that one isnt a winner only if he/she bags a Strat Consult/I Bank job.

Anyways, must stop cribbing & accept this too as a fact of life. People will mug & raise the bar for others. :-

End terms in 9 days from now. I gotta lots of catching up to do. Will probably write next after exams.

cya around

~ amit

do NOT quote huge posts

Hey man i feel that even underachievers shouldnt be worried cos they bring happiness into other's life. we lower the bar so that people could feel proud when they are above it. imagine if there were no underachievers in this world. it would be raining chaos with everyone fighting over everything to gain the edge
Sorry guys.. didnt post for a long time here. to be honest, I forgot this thread .

5 weeks into term I, heres how am feeling ..
(copied from my blog)
Life finally seems to be settling into B School ways. Getting up at 7:30 AM to attend classes or slogging for Econ assignment or fighting with the groupmates over marketing case is now becoming acceptable. Thats going to be the way life for next 10 or so months. & I am not complaining!

~ amit

Hi Amit,

Thanks for update... All the best for ur exam...
waiting for ur other posts...

Regards
Mohit

Today the classes for Term 1 are going to end. It has been nearly 45 days since I landed in Hyderabad and till now my room has not been setup properly. I am still living out of my suitcase some-days and suddenly the realisation that Term 1 is coming to a close is striking me.

4 subjects, 6 Professors (1 resident faculty, 1 from Kellog, 1 from Columbia and 3 from wharton) have taught us this term. They have tried their best to give a proper introduction to the assigned subjects and I think they have succeeded. Especially, I would like to make a mention of the Accounting professor, who has done a wonderful job considering tha fact that almost 90% of the batch consists of people who were accounting illiterate. Now, atleast we can say that given a annual report a few of the titles make sense.

Next week we have the first term exams. (We had a mid-term exam in Statistics.) It is going to be 2 long days. 2 exams on Monday and Tuesday. Whew, writing exams after quite sometime. It was kind of a nice experience to write the mid-term exam, but this would be different. Wish me and everyone else luck.

Attending classrooms after a good gap of 5 years is a lot of fun. Unfortunately or fortunately, I just cannot sleep in classes. It does not matter if I had slept for 1 hour or 10 hours the previous night, I cannot sleep in classes. So, I have a lof of fun watching others doze off. Today there were a couple of guys who were literally falling off their chairs and had to be woken up rudely. I have the privilege of observing half the class in their slumber. This has been a good pasttime when some of the things taught in classes did not make sense to me.

I will try to write more about the changes in our day-to-day life after we have come to ISB. That should be interesting, but not at this time. Time to get back to studies.

- Ramki.

Today the classes for Term 1 are going to end. It has been nearly 45 days since I landed in Hyderabad and till now my room has not been setup properly. I am still living out of my suitcase some-days and suddenly the realisation that Term 1 is coming to a close is striking me.

4 subjects, 6 Professors (1 resident faculty, 1 from Kellog, 1 from Columbia and 3 from wharton) have taught us this term. They have tried their best to give a proper introduction to the assigned subjects and I think they have succeeded. Especially, I would like to make a mention of the Accounting professor, who has done a wonderful job considering tha fact that almost 90% of the batch consists of people who were accounting illiterate. Now, atleast we can say that given a annual report a few of the titles make sense.

I will try to write more about the changes in our day-to-day life after we have come to ISB. That should be interesting, but not at this time. Time to get back to studies.

- Ramki.

Hi Ramki and all others at ISB,

I wish u and all the students at ISB all the best for their exams of term1.
Its seems lots of work and pressure by reading all these posts... neways with last 24 odd days remaining before the course begins at IIMB... lets see whats the scene here...
and ya waiting for what u promised... changes in personal life .. becos many claim that there are hell lot of changes... probably u will post after ur exams....

Chalo keep the forum alive....

Regards
Mohit

Wish me and everyone else luck.

Best of luck dude..
score well:thumbsup:

Same for Amit and Vineeth

Hi Everyone,

I am not a B-school student yet but aspire to be one in near future. Whenever I think about doing MBA, few things come in my mind immediately. Such as, I have very less knowledge about the world, whether it is to talk about different cars or about personalities around the world. And then I see MBA around me, I see there knowledge about any damn topic is really good. Is it that MBA aspirants normally have good knowledge base or B-school provide them with a platform to develop knowledge base.? More specifically, before joining any B-school, what groundwork I should do? Any answers??

Thnks.
Regards,
Akhil

Hi Everyone,

I am not a B-school student yet but aspire to be one in near future. Whenever I think about doing MBA, few things come in my mind immediately. Such as, I have very less knowledge about the world, whether it is to talk about different cars or about personalities around the world. And then I see MBA around me, I see there knowledge about any damn topic is really good. Is it that MBA aspirants normally have good knowledge base or B-school provide them with a platform to develop knowledge base.? More specifically, before joining any B-school, what groundwork I should do? Any answers??

Thnks.
Regards,
Akhil

u got the wrong thread mate. try this one
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/preparation-agenda-for-cat-2006-25009259

A breather in for of term break. Term I ended on Tuesday. Exams went just about okay for me. Were tougher than expected. All this term I have been indulging myself with pursuits of 'learning' per-se. & its gonna show up in my grades.

anyhow, time to debit all the sleep payables. Arnd 1/3 of junta is on a quick visit back home.
Rest of us are either trying to kickstart the club activities, or try n make use of Rec center/LRC facilities (depending upon their goals in life ). Mood is overall relaxed.
This is also the time when ppl start contacting companies for something called as ELPs(experential learning projects) & the CAS (career services cell) starts preparing indvidual profiles of each of the students for recruiter's handbook. so now, real activities are kicking in.

Also time for a self assessment. Cant repeat mistakes of term I in rest of the year.
so, thats what sums up the mood for me. Will key in more as I recall.

~ amit

digging this thread out.. so many b schools in this country .

ummm life at ISB these days.. Markstrat, a simulation game in marketing is the flavour of the season. Markstrat is a software simulates a world in which every study group is given a company, some products, some budget & all that jazz (virtual of course ) .. to play around with. The objective is to maximise your market share against all competing firms. There are 6 rounds of decisions to be made. TA runs a simulation after each round of decisions have been made by all teams. Round I results have just come in & I can now understand why alums warned us about the extremely addictive nature of this simulation game. Plus 40% of Mark II grade depends on final position of one's study group. So, lots at stake too.

Elsewhere, results of term I exams trickled in. Lines are starting to get drawn. Word is that a guy with 12 yrs of work ex & 2 kids & a green card is kicking a$$ of a bunch of 1-2 yr work ex guys from IITs (who might have thought grades race was theirs for the taking).
Also, a debate over ISB's grade (non-) disclosure policy ensued sometime back. (mainly started by vingmat aka Vineet aka 780er who also happens to be my groupmate ). Some ppl presumably got enraged by the rush for grades. (not me ). Anyhow, the administration says that since in Indian context, grade non-disclosure would make us look stupid, there is no alternative but to let recruiters know thy grades.

rest, monsoon has arrived in hyd, reducing the agony of ISBians caused by power breakdown some days back. An average ISBian is a spolit lot with airconditioning everywhere & some foren-returned folks were even heard groaning when having to make do with just fans in their serviced apartments in the campus.

thats it from me for now. Ramki, et all.. where art thou. me alone holding the mantle...

hey capreal26,
howdy?
I am very very interested in joining ISB after notching up a coupla yrs work ex. I hope thats a gud idea. Now the thing here is that right now I am doing my MBA from Symbiosis, Pune. So will the interviewing panel take it well, that I am applying to ISB for my 2nd MBA? or is it generally frowned upon over there?
I know its a rigorous schedule ur following over there, but if you could help me out with this I'd be grateful. Also if you could just gimme your email id or something so that I can contact you directly whenever the need arises, I'd be really grateful.
Thanx man.
ciao.
R

Most intstitutes dont frown upon the idea of 2nd MBA, I believe, if the applicant has good reasons for it. I believe there would be some usual questions & if the applicant has right answers for them, he/she is in fact a better candidate than normal ones.

Many people from India go to Ivy schools in US after having done their MBAs in India. They are after the international education. So, from a b school's pov, its not bad to have such people I guess. Same goes for ISB. Am not sure of exact numbers (batch size is ~ 350 so cant remember all stats ), but I remember having met atleast 2 people in the current batch having MBAs prior to coming to ISB.

I shall PM you my Y! id.

~ Amit