Life @ IIMU

Dear All, Let me take the privilege to open the “Life @ IIMU” thread. :: As the name goes, here we will discuss about the IIMU culture, our day-to-day activities and important events. Some lmportant links: IIMU website: :: …

Dear All,

Let me take the privilege to open the "Life @ IIMU" thread.

As the name goes, here we will discuss about the IIMU culture, our day-to-day activities and important events.

Some lmportant links:

IIMU website:

IIM Udaipur | Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur

IIMU FB page (Like it to know more):

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indian-Institute-Of-Management-Udaipur-IIMU/107422679350023

IIMU Student Blog (Follow it):

The IIM U Experience

Follow us @ Twitter:

Twitter

More updates will follow soon.

26th July 2011, I landed in Udaipur with great exuberance and a bit of nervousness. Finally, I got the privilege of being an IIM Student with the burden to perform among the best of brains. I had booked a hotel in Udaipur. After checking in, I went to visit the campus and met the Director and admin staff. After having lunch in the new Hostel(Home to be), I went back to the hotel thinking that tomorrow will be the registration so i can visit tourist places in Udaipur . Out off no where,in the evening,i got a call from College and asked me stay the night in the hostel so that we can prepare for the first case study that was to be held in the evening. The literature was given to us for the class. It was just like saying WELCOME TO IIM .

After the registration, admin staff gave me the material that included three big books with lots case studies. I thought it would be difficult to reads these books in single trimester. I have to put in lots of efforts to complete it. But prof. informed us that this is only 30% of the material for the trimester . It was at that time i felt CAT is tough to clear and IIM is tougher.
First day, it was supposed to be an introductory class. The prof. Came with the quiz. I thought whether she was kidding or screwing us.:shocked: The later was correct. That day,I decided to do whatever it takes to be in top percentile of class and ace all exams. From the following night, I studied till 3:30 am. I tried to stay awake by putting mustard in eyes. Every day in the morning, I woke up by 8:15 am and somehow managed to reach the class by 8:30 am.
Results obtained:
I got a 0.5 out of 10 in one quiz and 4 out of 10 another that means on the brim of getting an F grade(F means Fail). Its time to rethinking strategy. After lots of introspection, I decide that preparation was not adequate and decided to reduce sleep to 4 hours a day.
second week:
I was determined to do better this time around. I studied till 4:30 am in the morning (at least sat in front of a book till 4am), and wait for results to come knocking at my door. I had 2 quizzes again and the results sure came and knocked me down.
Results:
I got a confirmed F for the first one,the other result not yet out, but had done the first one better so no reason to expect an A+ for it:-)

Third week: change strategy. Enjoy life as much as one can. Optimize my time sleeping as much as I can. I tried to put in bare minimum effort, and see what develops. no results out
yet, but I think I like this strategy better. Lets us see how this one turns out to be. if I get a grade better than an F, I am sticking to this one. Even if I get f nothing else going to work so I will be sticking to it. You need to get minimum of a C grade to pass the first year, and there is a D grade
between a C and an F.

As with any other college, the real flavour of IIM Udaipur is best experienced in its hostels. Time inside the hostels doesnt run according to the Indian Standard Time though, at any point in the day the mean number of people sleeping and those wide awake are roughly the same. The latter are either working furiously to complete some assignment or trying to derive some inspiration for doing so off of Facebook!

Come 8:30 AM and its quite common to see mouths frantically trying to gobble down the breakfast before entering the lecture hall hopefully before the professor. The afternoons and evenings that are privileged enough to not be spent in class are utilized for impromptu siestas, corridor cricket matches or Counter Strike battles. More often than not though, it is all the three combined!

The nights can be rather subdued before a quiz or some similar tragedy scheduled for the next day, however one thing that manages to bring people together even in times of such hardship is the call for Maaro Maaro Maaro Maaro that accompanies every poor souls birthday celebrations. The crowd congregates, beats the person black and blue, eats all the cake, (occasionally remembers to wish said person) and then go back to their respective studies. The quizzes still lie in waiting, and they are not going to study for themselves!

P.S It is seriously advised not to have a girl friend or else u would get screwed... Guaranteed