Life@DSC

Hi All,I came, I saw, I got stuck. Some of the posts in this section make for an interesting read. So thought I would make my contribution and present the good, the bad and the ugly of the school I represent. :thumbsup: To begin with, I am curr…

Hi All,

I came, I saw, I got stuck. Some of the posts in this section make for an interesting read. So thought I would make my contribution and present the good, the bad and the ugly of the school I represent.πŸ‘ To begin with, I am currently studying at The Delhi School of Communication.

The Delhi School of Communication or DSC as its known within the communication fraternity, is a 19 year old institute located in New Delhi. It was started by industry professionals & academicians to align education with needs and demands of the communication industry. DSC is a niche academy with more than 500 alumni leading the communications industry and is today recognized as a top-of-line institute in integrated communications.

Essentially, the course is a two year Post Graduate programme - an Integrated Marketing Communications course, offering a unique mix of communication and management providing both academics and work exposure in equal measure. Students in the course explore Advertising, Public Relations, Entertainment Management, Marketing & Strategy and Digital Marketing combined with upto 7 months internship/apprenticeship. By way of intro…that's it. Stay tuned for more on the DSC way of lifeβ€¦πŸ˜

It's again exciting time at DSC… the Placement season has kicked off. The graduating class (graduating mid-April) has begun to receive pre-placement offers. The Placement Brochure was launched a month ago and attached here.

Leading Advertising agencies, Public Relations firms, Research agencies, Media houses, Digital Marketing companies have begun to recruit current students. Log in to keep abreast of the latest on placements. πŸ‘

Alright everyone, will be uploading last years key highlight events and we star with DSC Alumni Meet - 2013. πŸ‘

The DSC Alumni Meet saw a great turnout from previous batches. There was games, music, dance and loads of fun alongside networking and general catching up too. Here's to this annual affair. Cheers!

Latest industry interaction at DSC:

Industry exposure is a part and parcel of life at DSC. Every week industry experts come and address us. My personal favourites are the Ad guru's who are also highly creative, humorous and make learning fun.

This week we were introduced t the great world of Advertising by none other than Naresh Gupta, Managing Partner, Bang in the Middle. A regular columnist, one can catch his comments in numerous newspapers and portals. Sir has headed various leading agencies and won many accolades too. Looking forward to many such sessions! πŸ‘

Latest industry interaction:

In keeping with the previous post, this week Mr. Samil Malhotra visited the campus and shared his Branding fundas. Samil Sir is former VP, Mktg & Sales for The Lalit Suri Hospitality Group. Previously, Sir was also VP, Strategic Initiatives at HT Media Ltd and VP Distribution at Star TV. We got a real taste of how Marketing works and how Branding is a key differentiator. Here's hoping we apply these funda's well to create our own Brands!😁

Connexions 2013!

Communication would be ineffective without understanding Culture and its nuances. As part of the two year programme at DSC, students are encouraged to study culture and its impact on Consumer Behaviour and Brands. This year we cruised through South Korea, Germany, Chicago, Spain, Dubai and Brazil as part of the presentations. it was a treat!πŸ‘

DSC in the news!

Article on Media Planning in this January's Management Compass (the Career Launcher magazine), authored by Prof. Ramola Kumar, Dean, DSC. Looking forward to more such articles on emerging careers. πŸ‘πŸ‘

We all wish to create socially responsible organizations. But a lot depends upon the training and exposure provided during learning years. If exposure to social responsibility can be facilitated within a formal framework of education, it will go a long way to create socially responsible professionals. πŸ‘

In keeping with this belief every year students from The Delhi School of Communication are placed (as part of the Apprenticeship programme) with leading NGO's doing outstanding work in their respective fields. This year, students were placed with 2 NGO's namely Navjyoti India Foundation (an NGO headed by Dr. Kiran Bedi) and Draupadi Dream Trust (run by Ms. Neera Mishra) to work on their various projects for a period of 2 months. While the team working in Navjyoti executed successfully their annual event β‚¬β€œ 'Kids on Ramp-age'; the Rural Development Programme and helped in fundraising too. The team at Draupadi Dream Trust assisted in the Panchala Maha-utsav a festival spanning over 5 days consisted of numerous events such as folk performances, seminars, exhibitions etc.

Students learnt the art of Event Management, Marketing Communications and Digital. But most of all, the ability to make a genuine difference to society. πŸ‘

Celebrating She-roes @ DSC

The DSC team got together to celebrate International Women's Day on March 8. The students chipped in with messages that they splashed on a pink wall called 'Pin.K'. Prof Ramola Kumar also joined in the fun. "What would men be without women. Proud to be a woman", "We men = women", "Everyday remind yourself you're the best", "Definitely the better 1/2 of man," "Love us, hate us but you cannot ignore us", "Blessed to be a woman" - were some of the catchy oneliners that contributed to the this 'wordy' tribute.

The ladies were on a high, and the guys also joined in the fun.

Let each day be an International Women's Day, and let the celebrations continue....

PR Next+ 2014.

The PR campaign presentations this year flagged off with Group Sahara to be followed by PR for E-Rickshaws, AAP- Delhi/NCR; ISRO; Gulaab Gang and so on. From attention-grabbing PR agency names such as Hot Potato to Lifecycle PR to Politically Correct PR - the presentations saw several new and innovative ideas such as Peace Meets, ISRO Space Club and Camps, 'Catch them Young' initiative -amongst others.

The winning team was team ISRO. Way to go!

DSC MediaPop+

Advertising, PR, Media Planning, Journalism, Digital Marketing... what is your calling?

What does the mind say, where does your heart lie?...take the DSC Mediapop+ quiz today (it's a lot of fun, nothing serious) and discover your skills, strengths, interests and learn what career would be great for you!

πŸ˜ƒ

http://www.dsc.edu.in/check-your-media-calling

DSC wishes everyone a Happy Holi 😁

'Navarasas' @ DSC

The Thesis Presentation by Souma Mukherjee on 'Navarasas' displayed how nine rasas are used in Advertising and how an emotional connect maybe made even without words or speech.

What made the presentation memorable were the live performances by renowned mime artist

Swapan Kumar Sarkar and theatre actor Abhinav Sabyasachi.

The audience was left spell bound.

We sincerely thank both for making this event remarkable.

Looking forward to more future interactions.

BrandFest 2014

The 'BrandFest' at DSC is an integration of Marketing Communication principles where students get to execute real-time pitch presentations for prominent Brands.

An annual event, it has become a favourite with judges and students alike. This year the BrandFest 2014 focused on some FMCG brands like a detergent, automobile and even included media.

Brand strategies presented & discussed

A panel of distinguished judges sat on judgement @ the formal presentation on 22 September.There was Samil Malhotra, Former VP, Lalit Suri Grp of Hotels; Pradeep Aeri, Director, Aeri Creatives; Allan Saugat, Client Services Director, Law & Kenneth; Ashish Midha, Brand Manager, Hero Moto Corp and of course, Prof Ramola Kumar, Dean, DSC.

Also present on the occasion was Mamta Bhatt, Head Corp Comm. Rockland Hospital; Saket Pathak, Dir. 45 degrees and Shree Lahiri, faculty DSC. Each team fought to outdo the other, in order to grab the account.

We saw the teams launching new variants, strategizing to expand market to the rural areas, and in increase market share.

The winners take it all!

The winning teams were : Both the Nirma teams – Group 3 - Abhisheik Dutta, Pratik Chakravarty, Soumya Jain, Sonal Singh, Shefali Gautam and Group 4 – Aditya Dabral, Akash Singh Bisen, Kunal Kumar, Ila Malla, Sudeshna Sharma; Group 6 who presented CNBC – Anubha Agarwal, Natasha Geralad, Pranjali Chakarborty, Shamhavi Singh and Group 1 who recommended a β€œManful Detour” – Suvek Sundar, Priyanjali Saxena, Neha Gupta, Shambhavi S Rajput and Meghana Koppala.

DSC in the news!

Catch Prof Ramola Kumar's (Dean, DSC) comments in the Alive magazine (published by Delhi Press) on 'Ignorance is not bliss' - Some neglected aspects of our education system.

@riyapriya

Hi BrandBrat: Have been reading your posts. Very interesting indeed. I have filled up the application form for DSC. Could you tell me what I need to prepare in order to get through? I have 2 years of experience in Client Servicing and have heard a lot about DSC from its students itself. Please help me.

Hi Riyapriya... Let me tell you that getting into DSC is not an easy task as their seats are limited. You really have to work hard for this !! They take 2 entrance examination followed by a Personality Interview. These 2 tests includes Aptitude test of one an half hour which is similar to CAT/MAT examination. They accept CAT/MAT score which should be above 50 percentile. The second test is the Psychological test of half an hour. After that they conduct Personality Interview which is the main criteria of getting into DSC.
All the best dude and perform well !! 😁

Placements@DSC!

Many congratulations to Ms. Papiya Guha who has been recruited as Member, Measurement Solutions Group (Business Development) by Impact Research and Measurements.

Papiya has been working as a Business Development Executive since March.

Way to go and keep it up!

Placements@DSC!

Karishma Taneja has been recruited at Integrated Brand-Comm as PR Consultant.

She started working from April 1.

Many congratulations Karishma and we wish you all the very best!

The month of April advanced and we noticed the heat and dust of summer picked up too. It is also a month replete with festivals, the most prominent being 'Baisakhi', which celebrates the New Year. In DSC too, there was a festive spirit in the air, as we celebrated the seniors reaching the end of their 2-year tenure. So, the second weekend witnessed a Farewell evening on Saturday - April 12.

Time to say 'Goodbye'

There was joy, there was fun, there were seasons in the sun. This was the formal Farewell evening for the batch PGDPC 18, hosted by the current batch PGDPC 19. The programme was planned by the Juniors, who had carefully lined up the activities. They had been at it for around 2 weeks, trying to perfect their act. So, there were dances galore – subh arambh, aaja nachle etc, a short humorous play – Kya se kaya ho gaya, and of course, there were citations read out by the Dean. Everyone joined in the fun and the most enthusiastic ones danced the night away. People generally celebrate Vaisakhi by dancing, singing – and that we saw in plenty at this event! Then the food spread was a taster's delight. In short, an evening well spent.