Life@DoMS, IIT Roorkee

What is the relationship and when does it start? I was trying to find out the answer to this question before coming to DoMS. It is really a difficult question, but one day when I was walking by the side of road, I saw one year old child and his …

What is the relationship and when does it start? I was trying to find out the answer to this question before coming to DoMS. It is really a difficult question, but one day when I was walking by the side of road, I saw one year old child and his father. While trying to cross the road, father extended his finger towards the child, and child held his father's hand. By observing that event I thought "this is the origin and the meaning of relationship".

When I took admission in DoMS I realized that I am entering into a new world of relationship. I am very much sure that this relationship will transform in symbiotic relationship and like a father DoMS will show me the way.

The extraordinary facilities and infrastructure at the IIT R campus really facilitate every possible exposure & learning one can dream of!
Be it Wi-Fi enabled campus, big comfortable single hostel-rooms.
The well equipped hostel provided further helps synergize group activities like case studies which may run late into night, ensuring the best of comfort, fun and learning for all the students!

Hostels are provided with canteen where my batch mates usually gather to share some light moments and smokers share their cigarettes symbolizing the sharing of love and care for each other.

Students with varied dreams as high as clouds in the sky have joined in the department. Who else can give us the wings for flying right from the beginning than the seniors? As soon as the registration got complete, the seniors announced an orientation week for us. Starting from the first day, the orientation was meant for us to interact with the seniors and our batch mates and at the same time to get a deep insight of what activities and knowledge are expected from a b-school student.
What is the relationship and when does it start? I was trying to find out the answer to this question before coming to DOMS. It is really a difficult question, but one day when I was walking by the side of road, I saw one year old child and his father. While trying to cross the road, father extended his finger towards the child, and child held his fathers hand. By observing that event I thought this is the origin and the meaning of relationship.
When I took admission in DoMS I realized that I am entering into a new world of relationship. I am very much sure that this relationship will transform in symbiotic relationship and like a father DoMS will show me the way.
The extraordinary facilities and infrastructure at the IIT R campus really facilitate every possible exposure & learning one can dream of!
Be it Wi-Fi enabled campus, big comfortable single hostel-rooms.
The well equipped hostel provided further helps synergize group activities like case studies which may run late into night, ensuring the best of comfort, fun and learning for all the students!
Hostels are provided with canteen where my batch mates usually gather to share some light moments and smokers share their cigarettes symbolizing the sharing of love and care for each other.

Students with varied dreams as high as clouds in the sky have joined in the department. Who else can give us the wings for flying right from the beginning than the seniors? As soon as the registration got complete, the seniors announced an orientation week for us. Starting from the first day, the orientation was meant for us to interact with the seniors and our batch mates and at the same time to get a deep insight of what activities and knowledge are expected from a b-school student.

Well said Anuj !
Life @ Doms, IITR is truly amazing..Words would never be sufficient to describe the time we spend over here...M sure many of our batchmates would pour in to describe their experiences, which undoubtedly have been awesome..Cheers !!
Gud initiative Anuj. I was really waiting for such a thread to be started.
"Department of management studies". The name itself instils into us a tsunami of vigour, strength, confidence and perseverance to reach new heights. Fondly known as "Doms" and the students called as "Domsonians", the department has been a much coveted place to study for many of the b-school aspirants.I, a Domsonian myself, am here to write about my experiences at doms and IITR from the time I am admitted to this highly-renowned institute. I will especially share my experiences about the orientation week.
Registration was done at 25th July. Oh my god, I m,at last, an IITian :wow:
Presentation by seniors about DOMS on 26th July
The seniors had prepared a small presentation about DOMS to make us understand the different roles played by them and to give us a glimpse of our future.
"Sell yourself" presentation by the new joinees on 27th July
This was an ice-breaking event between the juniors and seniors. First year students prepared a marketing strategy considering themselves as products. Ideas such as family man, missed call men, permanent resident of roorkee etc. really were merry-making. At the same time many of the skill sets inherent amongst the students such as proficiency in rock music, classical music etc. became visible.
Case Study on 28th July
Keeping their word for a rigorous first week for the new joinees, the new joinees were asked to assemble at the DOMS gate at 8:00 AM to discuss a few case studies.
Role Play on 29th July
Role plays such as "baniya ka dhaba" not only entertained the viewers but also gave a very important message of customer satisfaction. Such humorous role-plays were followed by a competition for designing airports.
Leadership Game on 29th July
Games such as leaders describing a shape (shown to them beforehand) to their group and the group members making the same shape out of pieces of paper, explained the importance of coordinating skills amongst a group.
Ad-show: -
Advertisement of weird products like white-hair dye was beautifully presented.
Lots of activities done in the first week itself. Thanks a lot to the seniors that we are feeling the heat of MBA right from the beginning. I really wanted this way and it is fun.
Buddy program
the art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery
When child takes birth he doesnt know in what kind of world he is going to spend his life. We were also in the same condition when we started our new life here. But with the support of our seniors; we adjusted to the conditions here. Prof. Zillur Rehman started a new exercise by introducing buddy program.
Buddy program is informal kind of discussion program in which 1 senior is given the charge of 3 to 4 juniors.
The motive behind this program is to
  1. identify the areas of interest of all the members
  2. discuss and work upon their strengths and weaknesses
  3. discuss the current issues
  4. conduct various activities like debates and solving case studies.
This is very effective kind of exercise, which has been appreciated by both juniors and seniors from which they derive mutual benefits, keeping in mind their long term goals. After all Quality is never an accident. It is the result of planning, teamwork and commitment to excellence
by...
Sachin Ambade
Media Cell
DoMS, IIT Roorkee.

A Rare off weekend.. having a gala time this weekend..poor seniors had classes the whole day on both Saturday and Sunday..

And after a really hectic weekend last week where in we too met with the same fate this comes as a welcome break

Our dearest seniors organized an amazing freshers party for us "Roobaroo 07" yesterday..
Everything in the event was exceptional, an electric environment surrounded the multi purpose hall in the DoMS, where we all gathered for the most awaited event.
Both.. seniors as well as the juniors dressed to impress all.....
add to that the gr8 weather and we had more than wat we cud have dreamt of....

The events were huge in number and were enjoyed to the max, by all...
Starting with the pledges tht we are to follow in DoMS.. such as
thou shalt always sleep in the class
thou shalt do the impossible.. survive the mess food
thou shalt be an active member of an inactive cell... and so on...

Next in line was a performance by the "prabhudeva" of DoMS... then came the Mr. & Ms. Fresher first round.. where each one of us was supposed to give a brief intro, and a motto of life... followed by a longish ramp walk..
then came another blistering performance from our seniors a round of Sher 'o Shayari..
Another round of Mr. & Ms Fresher where 3 boys and 3 gals were coupled together....and were made to dance to the tunes selected by our seniors...:smilecol:

Then came the addressals from some of our faculty.........
then came the final round of Mr. & Ms Fresher.... the question and answer round....which was followed by the most awaited event of the night... JAM session which was cut short by the selection of the Mr. & Ms. Fresher.....
Yours Faithfully becoming the Mr. Fresher...... and a beautiful damsel "Padmini" becoming the Ms. Fresher, she also happened to be my partner in the dancing round..
Congratulations Padmini..
the JAM session continued well into the night with people dancing like maniacs and enjoying the ambrosial dinner...

Thanx to all the seniors for such an amazing party....

Cheers...........:drinking::drinking:

As aptly described by Anuj, we had an amazin freshers party...somethin tht we will remember for times to come...: Announcement of Mr. and Miss Fresher 2007 was deservedly followed by a mouth watering dinner that duly titillated our taste buds.
Finally, with a vote of thanks, the freshers party came to an end...! As per the tradition of DoMS, IITR, our batchmates will now have to give a BADLAA party to our seniors, which will be atleast as good as, if not better than the freshers party that our seniors gave to us..!!
Kudos to seniors for their efforts in makin the Freshers party an immense success !!

And yes...Congrats to Anuj for becoming Mr. Fresher 2007 @ DoMS !!!

Hi there,

Seems I'm the first non-Media cell DOMSonian to post here...
Hmm... Life @ DOMS! Something which gets me really excited!
When I was leaving Bangalore to come to Roorkee, my alterego hit me hard sayin, "Hello!!! How the hell are you going to enjoy there?? You'll be missin Bangalore and gettin homesick fr sure!"

But as I write this, I'm glad I can reply back with a bang!!! Coz DoMS is never lettin me think abt anything else.......
Be it the activities in the Induction programme as discussed by my friend Arpit, the Buddy Programme as discussed by Sachin, the Freshers Bash as put across by Mr. Fresher, the on-going activities like the BIG FIGHT, the cricket matches, those sessions of TT, Foozeball, Carrom, Snooker, those gappe-shappe of canteens, its FUN all the way with lessons! Lessons a manager learns by experience rather than frm books....

Well life roxxxx here.... N u can trust me on that! U name a facility n the campus has it... Enjoyin each moment of my stay here n hope to rock the campus wid all my energy and excitement!

C'mon u guyzzz... A Rocking life awaits you @ DoMS, IITR!!!!

-Sam
Batch of 2009
DoMS, IITR

THE BIG FIGHT
Today we had an event called Big Fight on the topic "Current state of Indian capital markets". There were two teams. One arguing that volatility in Indian capital market is just temporary and in nothing to be worried about while another arguing that we are heading towards another major economic brinkmanship. An Elephant representing Indian economy became a spectator in the BIG FIGHT between the aggressive bulls and evasive but strategic bears. The heat of the fight was equally felt amongst the participants and the audience.

The Big Fight started with the "raising the curtain" wherein both the teams introduced their viewpoints on the subject matter for 2 minutes. We had a juries' panel comprising of people expert in Capital markets, Finance and stocks.

The mind-storming fight brought about many perspectives such as subprime mortgage crisis in U.S., Japanese Yen Carry trade, Indian market relative to China, Overvaluation, various form of instruments used in capital market etc and effects of mortgage bubble in IT, ITES, Financial and Retail sectors. Various statistical figures, facts and statements by persons of eminent market importance were thrown like arrows to the opponent team.

The fight was followed by questionnaire from the juries and students sitting in the audience. The programme ended on a happy note from one of the expert juries that let us be optimistic about the Indian capital market and economy as a whole because it is going to directly affect the pay-scale of us-the future managers.:)

Yea.. tht sure was helluva fight between the teams.. and me as the coordinator did decent enuf (I hope :)).. although i had to try hard to keep up with my partner in the crime... tht is the other coordinator.. an expert "Ujjwal" our senior.. an absolutely awesome speaker...
Thank u Ujjwal for ur gr8 inputs...
Another word of thanks to "Shivani".. because of whom this event was possible..
Thank u both of u...

And now we head into saturday with a huge event coming up....the branding workshop..... the industry honchos are all lining up in DoMS, IIT Roorkee for this day long event... i m soooo happy...

Had a deserved off day today after attending a draining and immense value adding workshop on "Strategies that transform Brands"... the top brass of the best brands of the industry and enlightened all of us with their invaluable inputs towards branding.... had a gr8 value addition to our lives yesterday.. and an equally enjoyable day off..

Workshop Brief
25-08-2007

Today, Department of management studies organized a workshop on "Strategies that Transform Brands". The objective of the workshop was to sensitize students with various aspects of Branding such as
1) Building, measuring and manging brand equity
2) Gauging the effectiveness of a brand
3) Development of a transformational brand strategy
4) inspiring employees to live the brand
5) Brand conflicts and consumer choices

Many distinguished and eminent personalities in different fields shared their knowledge with us and enlightened us.

The day started with Mr. Sudhir Sharma , Managing partner Chromosome advisory and consulting, brain-storming us with the concepts of "Branding". He explained the concepts of "Brand value", "Communication", "Brand Image", "Positioning"," Promotion" etc.He gave a beautiful example of a brand that has been non-refuted throughout the centuries and had "cleared test of time". He said "RAM" is the biggest selling brand in India. He explained that Rishi Valmikiji has created "Ramayana" as an expertise but Tulsidasji created the user-friendly version of Ramayana. Tulsidasji made it readable by common men. He created various verses such as Hanuman Chalisa to meet the music and aesthetic requirements.. He carved the words "RAM RAM", "JAI SIYA RAM", "JAI RAGHUNATH" to fill up the communication gap of people... He created a symbol "DHANUSH" so that people can remember him.. The brand equity reached such a value that "RAM se bada RAM ka nam". Mr. Sudhir covered all the points of branding and helped the students understand concepts in layman's terms.

The second presentation was given by MR. Sundararajan , AVP HCL Technologies.
He beautifully explained the strategies of branding used in HCL. He explained how HCL transformed its brand image periodically to compete with the software and hardware majors. He showed us various advertisements employed by HCL. He explained how companies could be employee-centric or customer-centric.

The third presentation was taken by Mr. Praful Mishra,CEO Netcarrots.com. Since this was a post-lunch session it ought to be a heavy session(Sleeping faces). But Mr. Praful made it so light and witty that students found it full of interest and vigour. Mr. Praful had studied from this very institute. So he cracked lot many jokes and asked us who all visited the vicinity of Sarojini Bhavan every now and then(Thats the Girls hostel :)). Mr. Praful shared his experiences of working with Microsoft, JCPenney, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Hewlett Packard, Dell,GE, Hero Honda Passport program etc. for market research, advertising, direct marketing and consultancy.

The fourth session was taken by Mr. Lokesh Aggarwal, VP SRS Retail. He made us to write down 1) the 10 brands we remember the most 2) the values we adore in any brand 3) the limitations we hate in any brand 4) Who contributes to create and carry a brand 5) as an employee what you expect from your company etc.. . He then made to understand the mission, vision of a brand and the path to make it a successful one.He then explained how branding is strategized in retail sector.

After the tea session, we had a panel discussion wherein questions were posed about successful brands such as "Why the brand Haldiram is famous throughout the world.. How it differs from others".

Last but not the least, our reverent marketing professor Dr.Zillur Rahman gave a vote of thanks to the dignitaries and presented a memento and a bouquet to the guest-of-honours.

On 3rd sept, we had a guest lecture from our alumni Mr. Parikshit Dey, batch 2003, on the topic " Merger and Acquiistions". It was really a gr8 learning experience.

Sumeet Sethi

Alumni Cell
MBA 2nd Year
DoMS,IIT Roorkee

Ahhhhh... thts all i can say after 2 extremely hectic days of mid terms....
but i m really really glad that finally we are over with our first mid terms...

And now the DoMSonians are all set to have a rocking time this week... with a schedule as full as this one... we all wud sure be tested... but well thats wat life@DoMS,IIT Roorkee is all about.. classes but a rocking evening and night...

One of the most hectic weeks in DoMS, IIT Roorkee for all the Domsonians

Had lots and lots of lectures ranging from seminar on technology transfer with glorified and distinguished people coming from the various industries.. giving a gr8 value addition to all the Domsonians...

Now with the first deadlines for the submission of various projects coming up the first yr students of DoMS are getting a taste of things to come in future..

Having a rare off weekend this time.. but a well deserved one with all the slogging that had taken place in the past 2 weeks or so...

We r soo glad that these holidays came up.... with a lot to catch up with ;););)

Had yet another round of Domsonian Discussion forum... easily the most successful one so far...
The topic ofr discussion this time was to discuss the branding strategy of any company which according to the students was wrongly branding itself... besides discussing the strategies where the cos have gone wrong, participants also discussed about what could be the correct strategy for the same company...

We have had Domsonian discussion forum many times prior to this... with the topics ranging from 60 years of Indian independence to the SEZ's and many more as well...

The initiative taken by the Domsonians to this event has been simply outstanding

Cricket is the flavor this weekend... all the DoMSonians got together this weekend to watch all the T20 matches .. we all indulged extensively in cricket.. playing as well as watching it together.. and y not.. after all cricket is the thing which bonds each and every indian sooo nicely... and then there was a special request by yours truly to watch F1 too.. but unfortunately my favs cudnt get the podium.. none the less.. it was a weekend where in all the DoMSonians shared some gr8 moments..
All the players trying to impress the gals with there cricketing skills...

A sporting weekend is over.... now all set for another grinding week

Every1 is back from the Dussehra vacations of one week ..and all set for the college fest... the biggest event in IITR... "THOMSO" ... total fun in daysss to come... surely all r high on energy and all charged up for the big event.. DoMS@IITR is gonna rock "THOMSO"

All Done with our End term examinations....

Now moving onto the bigger things.. Placements, Sports meets, Cognizance... et all.. many many events lined up for the next few days... hectic days ahead 😃