Life at XIMR

Well as for now have seen threads of almost all the b-school discussion going on here so thought of opening one for XIMR…well yes 2006-08 will be the first batch to come out but yet we have lots to say about our new b-school…I m right now in 2…

Well as for now have seen threads of almost all the b-school discussion going on here so thought of opening one for XIMR....well yes 2006-08 will be the first batch to come out but yet we have lots to say about our new b-school..I m right now in 2nd year would appreciate if the current first batch i.e. 2007-09 come ahead and contribute to this thread as they have just entered and might have lots to share their new experience..
I hope this thread gets a good response...

well since ur in the second yr, why dont u share ur exp. whats an average day like.

So you want to know the average day ha...

Well lectures begin at 9:-oo in the morning. The computer lab and the library open at 8:00, students come in at 8:00 if at all they need to complete their library hours (we have a monthly quota of library hours). Some of us just reach early cause the trains aren't that crowded early in the morning. The lectures continue till 5:00pm, twice or thrice a week these lectures drag on till 9:00pm....last week all lectures ended at 9:00pm.
when the lectures do get over at 5:00pm then students break up into groups and complete assignments which include Debates, Quizzes, Case Studies, Industry-Sector reports....
The are a lot of interesting places to hang around in college (by the way its a World Heritage Site) like the Woods, Britannia Music Room, the Basket Ball Court, The Chapel, The Roof top among many others.
The college arranges for seminars nearly every fortnight, from Personal Development to Leadership to Social Responsibility.

Regards,
RButhello

ummm.......wat was the cut off to get admission into XIMR thru the CET last year.? Any idea???

well...the cut off in the last round held at PUMBA (round 4) was 135/240,but there were 4 cancellations within the first week,as those students couldn't cope up with the rigour! these seats were given by merit again to the students in the waiting list from the management seats & this cut off might have been lower.

Hello Everyone,

Well i know it's a bit late but anyways...
Thanks Ananta for the thread , hope going forward everyone maintains it.

For starters two of the most widely asked questions are
1. Placements and
2. Fees.

Lets start off with the placement details first with the exits and then with the summers.

Exits: The first year students have faced some problems with placements and are yet to be completely placed. Many have been offered packages in the range of 4 - 5 lacs. The average package upto now can be conjectured to be 4.5 lacs p.a.

Again many of the placement problems could be attributed to the college being new but i personally do not think that the job opportunities were not present. It's the sort of make or buy decision that you have to make during placements. The process is still in progress and final details will be made available in 70 days time.

Coming to the summers, we have had good companies for summers (i'll post the list of companies in my next thread). Again we have had to take a call as to when to jump in. Getting companies has hardly been an issue for us as the xaviers brand name makes an easy impact and we are leveraging it to the best extent.

Now coming to the fees: The SSS specified fees is 38,000.
XIMR does not even charge any donations for their management seats.

Course Differentiators:

XIMR offers value added courses like Philosophy, Spanish , Anthropology, Psychology, Global Event discussions and Analysis (GEDA), Sociology, CSR (Rural Marketing),Cross cultural Studies, and STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT (which shucks is not YET part of the mumbai university syllabus). Our aim is to make managers that are a bit different.

There's lots more to convey but i hope the queries/ resentments are posted by you.

Adios Amigo.

The companies that came for summers this year were:

Bank of India
Union Bank of India
Axis Bank
Orbis Financial Corporation
BPCL
ONGC
Trailblazers
NJ Invest India
Vijay Sales
Zydus Cadila
Wyeth
Godrej Properties
DBS Cholamandalam
Religare
Feedback Consulting
ITC Hotels
Tanishq(Titan)
Mahindra and Mahindra
Saffron Media
World Trade Center.

15 students are still left to be placed as of today.
Students seem to be happy with the profiles they have been offered though it is too early to comment on that.

Hi Seniors,

Could you al lplease let me how is this college for doing MBA in HR.
How are the placements, packages and summers for HR?

I have got a 92.31 %tile in CET and have WE of 1 year.

What are the chances of me getting in?

Thankyou.

what was the cut off last yr for ppl having CAT and XAT scores??

Hi there,

Confused as to why your post has come in so late.
Anyways I happen to have passed out last year.
You should find relevant details on the Xavier Institute of Management & Research (XIMR) website.

Generally CAT and XAT scores are in the 80+ percentile range and is just one of the parameters for admission.
Really it does not count for much at all as you will have interviews and other activities before final selection.

If you happen to be from mumbai and are planning for next year then you should go visit the college anytime between 9am - 6pm / Mon-Fri.
Have a word with the director and check the facilities and faculty.

That should be the case for any college you choose.
Trust only your own eyes and instincts no matter what people say including me... heh

Also this thread is not too active, you will find more info at
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/st-xavier-college-socs-xavier-institute-of-management-research-mumbai-25016711

Ciao.

All the best

i want to know about the placements of 2009 yr. and when is the last date to apply for the institute?

What is CAT cut off for XIMR ???? Plz Reply

can someone give me the placement details of ximr and the fees for MBA program ??

Hi Puys:

Thought I'd get this Thread going once again. Like the resuscitating a dead man back to life! But XIMR has been alive and kicking all these years. And this year having completed 5 years, the party is just getting started!

Life at XIMR is life like you will never have anywhere else on the planet. 9-to-9 is just half the story. The readings, projects, case discussions, lectures, group study, online research, the cutting chai at Xaviers canteen, the fective celebrations, the rigour and the sincerity expected of us all makes this a unique place to study.

Even our subjects have a wonderful mix of Management Methods, Quantitative Techniques, Cultural Studies, History and even Philosophy and Study of various Religions: each of these unique sessions and subject makes this less of a B-School and more of Finishing School for tomorrow's World Leaders. Other B-Schools teach you to do Management. XIMR has a mission of Building visionaries.

I guess this should do for now! 😉 Please write in your Questions about the culture at XIMR and we would be glad to clear your queries. I am also part of the team doing its internship in East Africa so feel free to ask anything you have on the topic as well.

Hi Puys:

Thought I'd get this Thread going once again. Like the resuscitating a dead man back to life! But XIMR has been alive and kicking all these years. And this year having completed 5 years, the party is just getting started!

Life at XIMR is life like you will never have anywhere else on the planet. 9-to-9 is just half the story. The readings, projects, case discussions, lectures, group study, online research, the cutting chai at Xaviers canteen, the fective celebrations, the rigour and the sincerity expected of us all makes this a unique place to study.

Even our subjects have a wonderful mix of Management Methods, Quantitative Techniques, Cultural Studies, History and even Philosophy and Study of various Religions: each of these unique sessions and subject makes this less of a B-School and more of Finishing School for tomorrow's World Leaders. Other B-Schools teach you to do Management. XIMR has a mission of Building visionaries.

I guess this should do for now! 😉 Please write in your Questions about the culture at XIMR and we would be glad to clear your queries. I am also part of the team doing its internship in East Africa so feel free to ask anything you have on the topic as well.

And Kenny Baba..donot forget the Centre For Africa Studies (CAS)...a very unique project started by XIMR in line with India's Foreign Policy to tap the markets in Africa & later on Latin America....

hey puys,

i am an aspirant this year for XIMR.... wanted to knw more abt de placement for HR specifically ... how are the companies shaping up this yr..... also in relation 2 de academics... is de approach only case study approach or are they live projects as well...??

rgds reuben.

________
deleted on user's request.

hey puys,

i am an aspirant this year for XIMR.... wanted to knw more abt de placement for HR specifically ... how are the companies shaping up this yr..... also in relation 2 de academics... is de approach only case study approach or are they live projects as well...??

rgds reuben.

And with regards to the highlighted text, The approach is a good mix of Case Studies, Class Lectures and Research Projects. The best however is the management of the institute who are very open and very enterprising so long as you are interested in going for it. We are currently 15 of us who have gone for our summer internship and culture studies to Kenya and Uganda! What can be more enterprising than this?

The institute is as academic and as business-oriented as you want it to be! This is because it is a Masters Course and you really cannot hold a 22-odd year old by hand and tell him what to do, can you?

Thanks kenny'baba' for the brutally honest insight, to be honest, i have always lived in a comfort zone and dnt aspire to be in it any longer, i have personal restraints which tie me 2 bbay 4 now, but during the course of de next 2 yrs and wen i pass out i wanna live out of this comfort zone...bcoz acc 2 me the growth story of india is not only in bbay but in the rest of india as well... so 2 cut a long story short... yes i would b lookin at other cities not only in india but de rest of de world as well...

salute 2 ya fr headin 2 uganda and kenya coz there is amazin growth arnd de world and arm chair management is nt de answer ... u need 2 get out der 2 understand de virbancy of de biz world...

m glad 2 hear dat dey r open 2 new ideas as well on de academic front....... wat i am lookin 4 is a good profile and money is secondary....

and yes u cannot hand hold a 22 yr graduate and tell him/her 2 get work done in anyway.. i believe dat if u wanna learn u gotta do it de hard way ..slog ur way 2 de top..coz den only will u get de respect.....

now i had another question... i read dat XLRI professors also come in 2 teach as well right?? is der a specific frequency or is it adhoc?? as u can tell i harp on HR a lot coz i am really passionate abt it.. so wanna make sure dat i learn something new and different in comparison 2 wat i have learnt during de last 3.5 yrs of working in HR itself...

rgds reuben.