Life at XIMB

Hi all! Sorry to have not posted for quite a while, but life hereโ€™s been too hectic. :smiley: Iโ€™d written a bit earlier about the college in some other post, but that was before I had actually attended classes, and so thought Iโ€™d give an uโ€ฆ

Hi all! Sorry to have not posted for quite a while, but life here's been too hectic. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I'd written a bit earlier about the college in some other post, but that was before I had actually attended classes, and so thought I'd give an update.

About the college. Nice, compact campus with a lot of greenery (Orissa's so green - a good contrast from water-starved Tamilnadu). The hostel is about a 40-60 second walk from the college, which really helps when u wake up late! We have a very well stocked 3 storey library, the lecture halls are all air-conditioned, there's a well equipped computer center, but we barely use it except for taking quizzes for the Managerial Computing class, since we've each been given a brand new P4/40GB PC in our rooms!

The lecturers are extremely strict about punctuality and being even 30 seconds keeps u outa the class. The lecturers are simply brilliant! I mean brilliant! Most of them are from the IIMs/XLRI/foreign PhDs. For the most part, all of them are very good teachers, atleast the ones whom I've encountered. We have 2-3 classes a day of duration 90minutes per lecture. The 90 minute part is the one that sucks, 'cos ur brain goes to sleep after about 50 minutes and most of us can barely recall what was taught after the first hour in each class!

Now the assignments part! I understand that assignments help students, but damn! Getting flooded with an assignment a day is simple too much! Having a PC in the room is actually turning out to be a bane, 'cos we get assignments posted at 10pm, and that's the end of sleep for that night! We barely get to sleep 4-5 hours a day, and it's a pain getting used to it. Especially for me, who's used to going to bed at 11 and getting up at 5.30!!! We're lucky if we can go to bed before 3am now! And most classes start at 9am and so we have to get up atleast by 8.15. v Ah sleep, I miss ya baby! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I dont think I've spent so much time in front of a computer even when I was working as a programmer!

The quizzes! When they say they give surprise quizzes, they mean it! We sometimes have lectures at 9am when most of us are still sleeping in class, and at 10.10, surprise! We are given a 15 minute quiz on what was taught since 9am!!! My grades for the most part have been slightly above rock bottom until now(mostly Ds, just better than F!) But then, out of a batch of 120, easily 95 or so share F and D. So, I'm trying to not be too hard on myself; but really, when u look at ur grades, they make u wonder if u really are a dunce after all!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have heard that things turn better after term 1, so let's see.

Now the hostel. The food - decent breakfast, terrible lunch and dinner! Roti and dal every goddam day!!! The side dishes(veggies) are (gasp!)sweetened, or cooked in mustard oil, and that's a big no-no for a poor southie stuck in the east! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ And dal as food - I've always thought that Dal is one small ingredient that is part of a dish called sambar. But giving an ingredient as a main dish - ummmmm..... okay..... It's kinda like giving atta and asking you to eat it imagining it is a finished product like a roti! . The restaurants are about 0.5 kms away and we barely get time to go there to eat. Non-veg consists of chicken twice a week and fish twice a week. The chicken is quite good. But the fish again is cooked in mustard oil, and most ppl from the north, west and south are yet to get used to that. This is the regular menu. We get very good, restaurant-type food for extra money on order from the mess, but it really shoots up the mess bill. But it's worth it to give a treat to your taste buds now and then. There's a cafe open till 2am, but u just get coffee, biscuits and chips and the like.

The hostel rooms are small(compared to the ones at PSG where I did my BE), but quite clean. We have washing machines in each block, but there's always a queue for laundry and so u gotta do it at really odd hours. But it's quite manageable. We also have a big hall that gets converted to a discotheque every now and then, and when that happens, it's big time PARTYING!!! A whole lot of fun, with bass-heavy mega speakers, disco lights, and dancing till late in the morning(4am or so). We call those JLTs(just like that) and have had 3 of 'em already!!! When it comes to having fun, I think XIMB ranks way up on the top! There's several student-driven clubs where total creative freedom is encouraged. I think that's the best part of this college - there's a lot of thrust in making the students confident, well-rounded personalities - grades come last here.

Well, my class starts at 11, and I gotta scoot now.

More later.

wow...... thats a real helluva description of the place satya.....guess one can't go closer than what u have in putting thoughts to keys.... ๐Ÿ˜ƒ looks like u having a gr8 time there pal.......keep it going.......but boy....u serious abt those grades..... here too, the buzz is that for a lot of papers...ppl get an A if they manage around 60% ........and a lot of ppl end up with B......but the number of Ds that u mention sure sounds a bit high pal.... anyways.....have a gr8 time...n keep posting......

Cheers

ps: when do u have ur exams..??i mean any kinda mid-terms???

Now the hostel. The food - decent breakfast, terrible lunch and dinner! Roti and dal every goddam day!!! The side dishes(veggies) are (gasp!)sweetened, or cooked in mustard oil, and that's a big no-no for a poor southie stuck in the east! Smile And dal as food - I've always thought that Dal is one small ingredient that is part of a dish called sambar. But giving an ingredient as a main dish - ummmmm..... okay..... It's kinda like giving atta and asking you to eat it imagining it is a finished product like a roti! . The restaurants are about 0.5 kms away and we barely get time to go there to eat. Non-veg consists of chicken twice a week and fish twice a week. The chicken is quite good. But the fish again is cooked in mustard oil, and most ppl from the north, west and south are yet to get used to that. This is the regular menu. We get very good, restaurant-type food for extra money on order from the mess, but it really shoots up the mess bill. But it's worth it to give a treat to your taste buds now and then. There's a cafe open till 2am, but u just get coffee, biscuits and chips and the like.

That was the single largest description of "food" I've seen on the forums... Man you sound majorly angry at the canteen

But then why not.. if you are studying so hard.. you need to eat good stuff .. I guess it has something to do with how the brain functions after "good" food !

And yes.. my numero uno question.. Are you the oldest student there.. ? How does it feel.. Err.. don't get me wrong.. but are there advantages.. etc etc.. you know.. how do you *feel*

Cheers !
PS : Anil was grumbling you didn't talk about girls
uRmad Says
but the number of Ds that u mention sure sounds a bit high pal: when do u have ur exams..??i mean any kinda mid-terms???

Hi buddy, yep... those grades sure are kinda low, but it appears that term 1 will be like that just to induce some responsibility into us. Heard that things will change for the better from term 2. So, am keeping my fingers crossed.

Regarding mid-terms - they sure are there and very near in fact! Mid terms start on the 21st which is just a week away.... spent the entire day today(sunday) typing two huge assignments. There's a quiz tomorrow, but I'm now too brain-tired to prepare for it. Gotta read up sometime in the morning before class or inbetween other classes. Ah well, life@b-school!

Take care and have fun!
Sathya.

Man you sound majorly angry at the canteen

And yes.. my numero uno question.. Are you the oldest student there.. ? How does it feel.. Err.. don't get me wrong.. but are there advantages.. etc etc.. you know.. how do you *feel*

PS : Anil was grumbling you didn't talk about girls

Hey PG, good to hear from u man! Nah, am not angry at the canteen, but just peeved that there aren't many options available to take care of one's taste buds in these parts. I mean the college is excellent in every other facility, but fares rather average when it comes to food... ah well, one can't complain too much I suppose. :-)

And to answer ur #1 question - yep, am the oldest guy in my batch!!! (what a distinction to have!!!) ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I'm probably older than all of the second year folks as well, but am not 100% sure. I heard there's some guy with 6 yrs work ex in the 2nd year, but we(first years) really haven't had too much time to interact closely with the second years yet - looks like all the fun starts only at the end of term 1. Until then, bookworms we are!

About how I feel - well, it was kinda embarrassing to see ppl look at me in an incredulous manner initially, but now things are back to 'normal'. I mean, I dont feel any different now than how it was when I was in UG when my classmates were of the same agegroup as mine. One or two people still treat me 'differently', but those are exceptions, and I'm having a ball with my newfound friends here. And no, no major advantages of having prior work ex, except that u know whatever some of the seniors/faculty tell u about severe pressure at work is mostly bull, and is just meant to scare ppl who are freshers. But courses like Organisational Behaviour and Human Resources Management are a lot easier to comprehend if u have worked before.

Now, about the girls! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Ah! What can I say? They are all so pretty! First years, second years - all of em! Only problem is some of them are still teenagers, and are way toooo young for me!!! But, as in any decent b-school, all the good-looking girls and all the girls with great personalities, and the very few ones who are the intersection of both traits, are all either engaged or married(yep, we have some of those) or have steady boyfriends. Of course, the boyfriend part is negligible, but it still takes a lot of effort to 'phatao' them! So, more or less, all guys here have decided to take Kotler to bed instead! (For those who dont know who Kotler is, he's the dude who's written a textbook on marketing mgmt., that a lot of b-schools follow). But there's two more years, so what can I say?! ;-)

Have fun!
But, as in any decent b-school, all the good-looking girls and all the girls with great personalities, and the very few ones who are the intersection of both traits, are all either engaged or married(yep, we have some of those) or have steady boyfriends. Of course, the boyfriend part is negligible, but it still takes a lot of effort to 'phatao' them! So, more or less, all guys here have decided to take Kotler to bed instead

lol m8...... taking kotler to bed ๐Ÿ˜‰ haven't heard a better b-school related joke in quite some time........steady boyfriends... :!: :!: u gotta be kidding....tell me u r... ;mg:

have fun....

Cheers

d00d Prabhu wher art thou ?

We have Prof Jesurajan ! this term !!!

So plz let us know each and every damn thing required to crack an A POS in ManComm ( or rather save us from a C )

d00d Prabhu wher art thou ?

We have Prof Jesurajan ! this term !!!

So plz let us know each and every damn thing required to crack an A POS in ManComm ( or rather save us from a C )

Enjoy!!! You will henceforth be insulted beyond anything you have ever experienced before; you will have textbooks thrown around in your class; you will be made to feel as if you have never ever spoken in English before and any communication skills you thought you had are just a figment of your imagination!!! ๐Ÿ˜

Unfotunately, we haven't received any grades yet in that subject and so all of us poor souls at XIM are at a complete loss as to what we will get in Comm! I'm overjoyed at having gotten a C+ in Financial Accounting(my most dreaded subject) overall in term 1 and would be extremely pissed if I got an F or D in Comm of all subjects!!! All the grades of term 1 are due by the end of this week and I should be able to answer you better by next week.

However, one thing to be noted - Prof Jesu does not keep anyone's names or roll numbers or whatever in memory and insults everyone in a similar manner, so there's not much you can do to get better grades or worse grades. He's toooooo particular about time, so if you hand your answer paper even 5 seconds late at the end of a test, you'll have it torn to shreds and flung at your face(literally!). So, do be careful on that. And any question you ask or any comments you give in class will result in further insults flung at you, so the best way to go about this course is to maintain a low-profile and keep your mouth shut no matter how tempted you are to say something!

Good luck buddy! One good thing that you will learn at the end of this course is how to take any kind of insult with elan! Nothing anyone says after this can ever hurt you, so that's probably one very good positive thing that comes off this course. And regarding anything you hope to gain in Managerial Communication - good luck! If you do gain something, let me know - an entire batch of students here would look at you in awe!
Enjoy!!! You will henceforth be insulted beyond anything you have ever experienced before; you will have textbooks thrown around in your class; you will be made to feel as if you have never ever spoken in English before and any communication skills you thought you had are just a figment of your imagination!!! ๐Ÿ˜

Unfotunately, we haven't received any grades yet in that subject and so all of us poor souls at XIM are at a complete loss as to what we will get in Comm! I'm overjoyed at having gotten a C+ in Financial Accounting(my most dreaded subject) overall in term 1 and would be extremely pissed if I got an F or D in Comm of all subjects!!! All the grades of term 1 are due by the end of this week and I should be able to answer you better by next week.

However, one thing to be noted - Prof Jesu does not keep anyone's names or roll numbers or whatever in memory and insults everyone in a similar manner, so there's not much you can do to get better grades or worse grades. He's toooooo particular about time, so if you hand your answer paper even 5 seconds late at the end of a test, you'll have it torn to shreds and flung at your face(literally!). So, do be careful on that. And any question you ask or any comments you give in class will result in further insults flung at you, so the best way to go about this course is to maintain a low-profile and keep your mouth shut no matter how tempted you are to say something!

Good luck buddy! One good thing that you will learn at the end of this course is how to take any kind of insult with elan! Nothing anyone says after this can ever hurt you, so that's probably one very good positive thing that comes off this course. And regarding anything you hope to gain in Managerial Communication - good luck! If you do gain something, let me know - an entire batch of students here would look at you in awe!

What is that? Some sort of mock Court Martial or sth?
Do let me know more about this subject and this class and this professor!