Life at MDI Executive PGPM

Dear All, The MDI’s Executive PGPM (National Management Programme) is a 15 month post graduate programme that was launched in 1987 at MDI, Gurgaon as a ground breaking endeavor to enable practicing managers to acquire skills from a wide range…

Dear All,

The MDI's Executive PGPM (National Management Programme) is a 15 month post graduate programme that was launched in 1987 at MDI, Gurgaon as a ground breaking endeavor to enable practicing managers to acquire skills from a wide range of traditionally segregated domains. Over time, the programme has evolved into the Consortium Executive Management Programme (Consortium Executive MBA) in partnership with ESCP-EUROPE. The programme is recognized by AICTE and is accredited by AMBA, the Association of MBAs (UK). It focuses on developing leaders who will excel in the rapidly changing business environment, become agents of change and be charged with a customer centric orientation.

This thread is open to all existing students and alumni students of MDI Executive PGPM (NMP) who wish to post their present and past experiences from the program.

Life is an ocean of experiences. Please feel free to share your everyday experience from past and present days at the campus and in the duration of the program.

We hope the MDI Executive PGPM (NMP) community (esp the alumni community)will actively participate in this journey.

Regards,

tammech

First day at MDI was not much like the first day at Grad College. It was DIFFERENT. I felt excited, nervous, happy, worried, relaxed and tense. On joining day while walking towards the MDIs Nalanda Building for induction program, I was greeted by the executives and professors from MDI Executive PGPM program office. We were given a participant handbook and then the verification process was completed. The Chairperson MDI Exe-PGPM program, Mr. Godinho then gave his welcome speech. Our extremely charismatic program chairperson not only welcomed us to the program, but also made us realise how this program with its rigorous schedule is going to shape up our everyday for next one year. He was encouraging and immediately brought in one Mr. Jaydeep Das, (MDI Exe-PGPM, 24th batch) for interacting with us for sharing his experiences of last one year. This was the moment when everything finally sank in: I am now embarking on a life changing experience. Nobody knows how it is going work out at the end, but one thing for sure it is going to be great!!

We then moved to lecture theatre area at Lakshaya building where we would spend most of the time during the orientation week. While walking up the stairs, the sense of excitement was building up rapidly. I was greeted by my more new classmates and the first lesson. The good news was that everyone genuinely wanted to get to know each other well. So it was a great atmosphere.

The first week of lectures were amazing. All the lectures from experienced faculty (who had unconventional ways to teaching) were a new experience. While for many of us - Accountancy, Economics and Stats were new subjects, the gruelling discussions among professors and students in these first classes clearly reflected the intelligentsia value of the program. With such a diverse class group, I got the feeling that next one year would be highly enriching.

After the class hours it was the sessions with MDI Exe-PGPM-24 batch mates. During the first week we had long sessions with Jaydeep, KK and Abhijit who gave us their experiences in the college over the last one year. Key tips to study, making us acquainted with names of renowned professors, best courses for career building, hostel stay tips and finally the most Important job placement tips. They were absolutely an encyclopedia and no stone was left unturned. We were amazed and really appreciated their brotherly attitude. It seemed as if we knew them for last many years. While they were leaving the institute for the start of their new careers, they ensured they gave us the crucial information cum tips required to make this 25th batch of this Exe- PGPM program a success. We were promised that Exe-PGPM-24 students would offer us all the necessary support in the next one year as well.

One important advantage out many advantages of being in MDIs Exe-PGPM 25th batch was that it had an average of 6 plus years of work experience, so we could relate to the topics and discussions in class. More importantly, people who are here wanted to be here, so everyone was very engaged. We were asking constructive questions, giving insightful comments and challenging assumptions professionally. Despite the rigorous schedule of first week, no one fell asleep in class despite the lack of it.

While week 1 has just ended and another 15 months still in waiting, I suddenly realised that my dream of a decade was finally coming true. The other day I read the following quote. I just hope that is becomes reminiscent of aspirations of every batch mate from this 25th Exe-PGPM batch and we make this year the unforgettable year of our lives.

Best of Luck Exe-PGPM 25th Batch !!

Imagination is everything. If we can imagine a future, we can create it, if we can create that future, others will live in it. That is the essence of success.

One week @ MDI.
What a change it has been at a personal level for me. Retrospectively, I now think the changes started taking shape the day I was given the admission offer by MDI. I was located in Australia for an overseas assignment. It almost seemed futile even to think of getting a release from the project at that critical stage. However the initiative had to be taken and the effort had to be put. And what a month followed after I informed my managers about my impending separation from the organization. The piece of work which would have unconditionally taken 2 months was wrapped up and transitioned to another guy in half the time. I did my work but still cannot thank my managers enough who really helped me out. I could travel back to India and have a real chance of participating in the program.
Coming back to India was just half the battle. Problems and confusions have their own way of appearing from nowhere. There are no simple decisions in life, toughest being married and leaving the job after 6 years. There were doubts in mind. Whether I was making the right choice? Is the timing right? how will the campus be? Will I be able to handle the rigor of the course? Despite all these questions I finally quit my job last Friday primarily basing my decision on the brand MDI and the ROI. And here I am after one week at MDI.
This Monday when I arrived at MDI which by the way is extremely accessible, I was met by the smiling and inviting faces of the security who guided us to the hostel cordially. The process was very simple and I was allocated a room in less than 10 mins. Now room was a surprise. Nice big rooms with attached bath facilities. AC, heater, geyser you name it and it was there in perfect working condition.
The inauguration by executive PGPM chairperson was really motivating. Over this period of one week of orientation classes, we had different professors giving us lectures on different topics. All I need to mention is that they had answers to all our questions. Though the orientations topics touched the surface we did get a hazy picture of the depth the professors intend to show us in due course. The case technique was taught and I was left wondering why we were taught the way we were taught in our schools and colleges despite the existence of such good learning tools.
The class is extremely diverse which makes the class dynamics very unique. The students are from various backgrounds. Apart from the engineers from PSUs, manufacturing sector and IT we have doctors, Army officers, wealth managers and entrepreneurs. What is fancy and caught my eye though is that the program has less than 25% candidates from IT. Its just that a class mix like this can think in such wider sense that for every question that the professor may raise there are 20 hands that go up all with almost a different answer. Without any marks for the class participation I see Desperate Class Participation (DCP is a new term that I learnt here). The class dynamics is so unique that there is learning in real terms. And then what happens between the classes is worth noting. I am not sure about others but I am a big fan of tea. I can almost have a tea anywhere anytime. And when you add a cookie to the tea its an unbeatable combo for me. Fortunately for me, between every class tea and cookies is offered.
Now the best things that happened which was a real blessing were the sessions held by the seniors in the night. Seniors from our previous batch who didnt have much time but would still come to the campus late nights and give us gyan for no less than 2-3 hours. While we used to yawn they used to be so energetic and motivated at those late hours. Thanks to them I am able to be awake beyond 11 pm and infact in the last one week I have not slept before 1 am. They showed us the roadmap to the program, gave us pointers, motivated us and challenged us to do better. I could not have written about my first week without thanking them sincerely. Thanks seniors for being so passionate about us and the program.
There are lots of minor details that I would like to share but that can wait. Probably as I come to know more about our batch and as we all learn. BTW have to get back to my statistics assignment so I will better give it a stop here. All the best to all my batch mates and I am really glad they are here they make the class what it is.

Andy
1 Like

Hi seniors,

Quiet impressed by the way of life u r enjoying @mdi!! I am equally impressed by the course curriculum which is comparable with the 1yr PGP at IIMs. Pls enlighten me with your views about my chances for this prog. - I hv 6+yrs exp. in retail banking, with GMAT 680!!

Ravi

A "First Day" is really the first day. The day after the last. There's a very familiar feeling associated with it, one that makes you feel you have a bubble machine in your stomach. I was drenched in anxiety, curiosity and sheer awe as I walked on to the MDI campus on 9th April, 2012. Questions, seemingly important as "How good are the teachers here?", to sinister one's "What happens if you bunk a class?" were drilling holes in my skull. Anyhow, finding some familiar faces around brought me some solace. Thanks to the NMP25 facebook page, not everyone seemed like a stranger. In fact I had to make little effort and immediately struck chord with those from the online group. Mostly everyone came dressed up in business formals. It was a good sight to see such inspired people with high aspirations strut around in style. Next we assembled in a lecture hall and began the registration process. A form, few photographs, attested documents and we were done. Following this the chairperson- Mr. Godinho delivered a welcome note and shot out few "must know" facts about the school and him in general. For me, he came through as an erudite, humorous and witty individual. Most likely we would be doing some courses under him next term. The induction schedule started right after the chairperson's welcome speech. The classes were a delight. I was particularly impressed with the academic level and the teaching methodologies of the professors.

All in all it was a great day which started with a cordial welcome and ended with some informative primer lessons. Way to go . . .

Regards,

Sarbjeet

1 Like

Ravi,

While the admission process and evaluation are totally at the discretion of the admission committee, there are some "nice to have" credentials that may increase your chances. A Good GMAT score + Good Academics + Good Experience + A Good justifiable reason for choosing NMP, should help you get past. As with most of the other colleges accepting GMAT, there is NO minimum prescribed admission score. Hope this helps.

Saby

Ravi,

While the admission process and evaluation are totally at the discretion of the admission committee, there are some "nice to have" credentials that may increase your chances. A Good GMAT score + Good Academics + Good Experience + A Good justifiable reason for choosing NMP, should help you get past. As with most of the other colleges accepting GMAT, there is NO minimum prescribed admission score. Hope this helps.

Saby

Thanks sir,

Let me know when the ad-"mission" starts, means the application forms etc...

Ravi

Dear Ravi,

The admission forms for 2013-14 batch will open around October 2012. So keep a track on the national dailies during that time or log in to the MDI website.

If you have any further queries , feel free to post your queries to us.

Regards,

tammech

All MDI Executive PGPM aspirants,

You can post your queries on this PG Thread or visit the following links below for details of our program.

MDI Executive PGPM (NMP) | Facebook

or

National Management Programme

Regards,

tammech

Here are my two cents on the 10 days experience in MDI Executive PGPM program.

To begin with, as I entered the Executive PGPM program @MDI after having gone through a gruelling selection process. Undeniably, I entered with a set of expectations. Rationally, I could classify them into four questions to which I was seeking the answers.

1. Quality of Content which I was going to learn
2. Quality of Teachers who were going to facilitate the learning
3. Quality of the Batch who were going to bring the diversity of thinking
4. Last but not the least - Placements

The first 3 queries were shot off by the induction program at Executive PGPM @MDI. The marathon sessions lasting 4 hours, each involving pragmatic gyan by teachers, case studies, class discussions, were mind boggling. I was awed with the pedagogy used. Every class session is accompanied by a pre-read which is to be done by every individual in order to achieve the full potential of sessions. Needless to say, creating maximum value with the little resources at hand is what managers do. I believe these are the reasons that differentiate these premier institutes like MDI from others.

During case studies the batch is divided into separate groups. At a time two such groups are linked in a manner where One group presents its analysis while the other group listen, analyse the presentation with respect to the case study and produce counter argument, questions to the presenting group. With all this, the teacher works as a driver steering the conversation to the right direction.

The course material is content with practical examples taken from around the world which adds an edge to the course. The literature is the same as used in premier institutes to the likes of Harvard Business School, Stanford etc. The faculties, all doctorates by qualification, have practical working experience in the industry and have written amazing books in the areas of their expertise; these books are being followed in many B schools in India. Many are associated with premier clubs around the world and are chairman of different research institutes. A couple of them even give lectures at Harvard Business School.

The activities here are primarily student driven. We have a lot of committees such as Placement, Corporate Communication etc. all driven extensively by students unlike other B Schools where separate professionals are hired. The practice push the students to the edge as along with studies they manage these committees which does require a lot of effort and energy.

There are various clubs such as Strategy- marketing initiatives, SEED-Center for Entrepreneurship , Sanskriti - Cultural clubs which provides an individual with opportunity to pursue his/her interest in the field. As the saying goes, Two is always better than One, these clubs bring different view points to the table thus help in enhancing the understanding. Having said that, You never know when a new business model might emerge.

By default the course is designed to bring a discipline in life which is required by managers in order to achieve the objective at hand.

Though we are just starting the program, my hands along with the pockets of all my shirts and pants are already full with loads of learning and work.

I am still hungry for more.

:)

Dear All

Check out for our blogs on the following link:

MDI-EPGPM(NMP) 25th Batch Blog | Lets Get the Ball rolling NMPian's

Always happy to help aspiring students

:)

Dear All,

Check our MDI Executive PGPM blog and follow it for updates on the program.

First day at MDI Executive PGPM program | MDI-EPGPM(NMP) 25th Batch Blog

Regards,

tammech

Management Thought for the day by Vikas Aggarwal , NMP-25

Management Thought of The day : 28th April 2012 | MDI-EPGPM(NMP) 25th Batch Blog

regards,

tammech

New Update from MDI Executive PGPM blog

Overcome the Awkward Silence | MDI-EPGPM(NMP) 25th Batch Blog

regards,

tammech

New update from MDI EPGPM Blog

MDI Inaugurates 25th batch of Executive PGPM (NMP) and 7th batch of Energy Management Program | MDI-EPGPM(NMP) 25th Batch Blog

Also check for more updates: http://www.facebook.com/MDIExecutivePGPMNMP

New update from MDI EPGPM Blog

Attending the Asia Competitiveness Forum 2012 | MDI-EPGPM(NMP) 25th Batch Blog

New ariticle by Kaushik from EPGPM ON MDI EPGPM Blog

Attending the Asia Competitiveness Forum 2012 | MDI-EPGPM(NMP) 25th Batch Blog

New ariticle by Ankit from EPGPM on MDI EPGPM Blog

Is FaceBook a Relationship Killer? MDI EPGPM (NMP) 25th Batch Blog

Also check for more updates: MDI Executive PGPM (NMP) Facebook

MDI EPGPM Blog hits the 1000 mark in 15 days from its launch !!! Kudos and Thanks to all Participants of EPGPM.

For more details visit our blog : MDI EPGPM (NMP) 25th Batch Blog | Lets Get the Ball rolling NMPian's