Law + mba

Hi everybody I am a newcomer and currently pursuing my law from Gujarat National Law University(GNLU) one of the top law schools in the country. I am into my final year and as always the question arises WHAT NEXT?? I was hoping to take an MBA…

Hi everybody

I am a newcomer and currently pursuing my law from Gujarat National Law University(GNLU) one of the top law schools in the country. I am into my final year and as always the question arises WHAT NEXT?? I was hoping to take an MBA after law. Well but i am not sure if its a great combination. I have heard Engineers going for MBA but Law students??
I am thus really confused.Please shed some light on this, if Law + MBA is a viable option and what career prospects can this hold???

Thank you
Wolf

Firstly get this thing out of your head that 'many engineers go for MBA so its easy for them'
With b-schools striving for diversity they want people from different education backgrounds like law,CA,humanities etc so your profile will be fairly unique which will give you an edge.
I suggest you to work for a few years after completing your degree and then try for an MBA , because work experience will help you gain vital skills and will build up your profile.

Hi everybody

I am a newcomer and currently pursuing my law from Gujarat National Law University(GNLU) one of the top law schools in the country. I am into my final year and as always the question arises WHAT NEXT?? I was hoping to take an MBA after law. Well but i am not sure if its a great combination. I have heard Engineers going for MBA but Law students??
I am thus really confused.Please shed some light on this, if Law + MBA is a viable option and what career prospects can this hold???

Thank you
Wolf

wolf i also have d same query as urs.....im also planning to go for an mba....as im looking for corporate jobs....and im not interested in practice or joining law firms. can any1 guide me regarding this? is law + mba (hr) a good option to consider? what r d job prospects ?will d law degree b an added advantage when i pursue mba in hr?in gp/pi i heard that importance in giving to past academic sores besides d percentile in cat/mat .......so will they consider our stream? (i mean its very much possible to score 80-90% in science stream in graduation level..........but in law scoring 60% is vry difficult......more than 70% is nxt to impossible) .....so r they going to consider that?any help will be appreciated.
mysteriousgal87 Says
wolf i also have d same query as urs.....im also planning to go for an mba....as im looking for corporate jobs....and im not interested in practice or joining law firms. can any1 guide me regarding this? is law + mba (hr) a good option to consider? what r d job prospects ?will d law degree b an added advantage when i pursue mba in hr?in gp/pi i heard that importance in giving to past academic sores besides d percentile in cat/mat .......so will they consider our stream? (i mean its very much possible to score 80-90% in science stream in graduation level..........but in law scoring 60% is vry difficult......more than 70% is nxt to impossible) .....so r they going to consider that?any help will be appreciated.

Hey,

This topic reminds me of my past 2 years. Well, I have done 5 years law from Govt Law college Mumbai and then worked in a LPO for 3 years. Last year I gave CAT and now wuld be joining TAPMI. Besides answering your question on academic scores I can also give you useful inputs that will prove useful in the interview process as they will definitely grind you as to why you wud like to change stream.

1. I had an average percentage of 57% in my 5 years. The colleges do recognize the fact that people from law colleges dont score that much. I was asked this question as well. I told them frankly that the highest someone would get will be 65 and so my 57 isnt bad. So dont worry about your marks here. Also your low marks can be compensated by getting higher percentile in CAT and doing better in GD/PI
2. I went through a lot of grilling at all the colleges i went for interviews as to why after law, I want an MBA. I had my own reasons and so should you. Just make sure that you start working on it. Just try not to say that you dont like your field or anything that defames your course. Rather give an answer showing your interest in MBA and how your law would help. My answer was like this only. Since my work ex made me do a lot of leadership roles and get involved in the business of the company, a curiosity emerged. This is the most important thing that you should prepare for as all the colleges would grill you on that.
3. Prepare atleast the following subjects thoroughly as they might ask you questions from here:
a)Law of contracts including the sales of goods act
b)Company Law
c)Constitution
d)Cyber laws if possiblle

As colleges look for diverse profiles, law people stand a good chance of getting through a college as compared to engineers who are around 80-85% in strength. So you may stand apart from them.

4. Try and get a percentile in excess of 90-92 in your CAT as it would open up a lot of options for you.

5. Last thing, dont get disheartened after some of your interviews as some colleges would try to make you feel that doing an mba would not serve you any purpose. They are just trying to see how much focussed are you.

I hope all this was helpful.

Let me know if you guys require some other info as well

Thank you Sidsri10

Your reply has indeed been very helpful. I was still confused on whether or not to go ahead with my MBA dream, considering not many replies here on this issue and whomsoever i asked, discouraging this option. Now this has definitely given me hope and more motivation to study and get through to top B schools in India.
Well i had another query regarding different B schools. after my initial research i felt that IIFT would be a good bet for people with a law background? Its, foreign trade and some of the subjects also taught there deal with international law. I would like to have some thoughts on this.

Cheers
Wolf

Hello Mysteriousgal

It is actually surprising to see so few people reply to this thread. We cant possibly be the only people with such a problem. Anyways i am glad some1 else is there who share the same doubts. Well if you do get anymore advice from anywhere please be sure to pass it on to me.

Cheers
Wolf

Hello Mysteriousgal

It is actually surprising to see so few people reply to this thread. We cant possibly be the only people with such a problem. Anyways i am glad some1 else is there who share the same doubts. Well if you do get anymore advice from anywhere please be sure to pass it on to me.

Cheers
Wolf

Thank you Sidsri10

Your reply has indeed been very helpful. I was still confused on whether or not to go ahead with my MBA dream, considering not many replies here on this issue and whomsoever i asked, discouraging this option. Now this has definitely given me hope and more motivation to study and get through to top B schools in India.
Well i had another query regarding different B schools. after my initial research i felt that IIFT would be a good bet for people with a law background? Its, foreign trade and some of the subjects also taught there deal with international law. I would like to have some thoughts on this.

Cheers
Wolf

Well IIFT does indeed deal with foreign trade and if you can convince the interview panel as to how law would help you then nuthng like it.

The big problem for us law fellows is the Math part, I was hoping if someone from a similar background could share their strategy for success.

Hi everybody

Thank you
Wolf

Hi

So what decision did you take finally? I am also studying law and going through the same doubts. The major question is whether employment and growth opportunities would be greater after an mba or not?

hello everyone!

I think this group has been inactive for a long time so I am not sure if I will get a reply but it is regarding GNLU admission to M.A. in Criminology!

Can anyone help?