Lateral Placements in Indian B-schools

Hello friends After lot of interactions and confusing inputs from friends studying in B-Schools ,Aspirants and foras -I realise that still I don’t have clarity over the lateral placement scenarios in B-schools.:biggrin: This thread is fo…

Hello friends

After lot of interactions and confusing inputs from friends studying in B-Schools ,Aspirants and foras -I realise that still I don't have clarity over the lateral placement scenarios in B-schools.:biggrin:

This thread is for discussion on lateral placement scenarios in different B-schools cutting across domains like finance,marketing,operations,HR etc and also sectors like FMCG ,Manufacturing , Banks ,Health care etc.

Let us post relevant facts so that a clear picture can be drawn about the suitability of Indian B-schools for experienced candidates.(i mean>2 years of work ex).

I am sure that there will be many others like me,who might want a clearer picture .It's March 2012 and its apt time for discussions like these, before we take the plunge into serious preps :grin:

Hi Shriraam

Thanks for opening this thread.

I really wanted to know the lateral placement scenario in the b schools .

I have got an admission in BIMTECH and SDMIMD and i have 39 months of experience in IT industry and need to know is it really worth joining the above colleges as i want to know their lateral placements and the oppurtunities that they provide in the same.

Thanks
Sameer

Excerpt from IIM-A website :

"The objective of lateral placement is to place students with extensive work experience at levels commensurate with their relevant experience. Typically, nearly half the graduating class has work experience of over a year and a separate lateral placement period outside of the regular placement week has been designated for the placement of these candidates.

The lateral placement period extends from beginning of January to beginning of February. Companies can schedule interviews for lateral entry candidates during this period.

Companies, in the past, have found it advantageous to use the lateral placement period to recruit candidates for middle management positions before the placement week commences.

For a company that is unable to visit the campus before the commencement of the placement period, the company is free to recruit for non-entry level positions during the placement week starting in second week of March."

Hi Shriraam

I have got an admission in BIMTECH and SDMIMD and i have 39 months of experience in IT industry and need to know is it really worth joining the above colleges as i want to know their lateral placements and the oppurtunities that they provide in the same.

Thanks
Sameer

Hi sameer...
i am also an aspirant .Don't have any details in hand readily -but am sure that as more and more puys chip in , we can have a detailed scenario unfolding !!

I went 2 a few bschools like IIT D,Kgp,NITIE n after interaction wid seniors I realised that lateral students dont have much scope in finance n marketing unless they hav relevant experience..
So they are mostly placed in consultancy n ops
But I met some IIM C guys who said that wen u have vry high and ordianry work-ex..u might even end up in marketing..
Basically a lot depends on ur work-ex..ur peers work-ex n also the companies that r actually visting!!!:grin:
I hope seniors who are studying or hav passed out 4m premier schools :grin:
can help us get insight of roles that are offered 4 lateral ppl...n some guidance vil b grrrr8:biggrin:
Cheers!!!!!

I have friends who study In NITIE ,who were of opinion that for lateral placements,the scenario is not as bright as for freshers !!

shriraaam Says
I have friends who study In NITIE ,who were of opinion that for lateral placements,the scenario is not as bright as for freshers !!

it depends on the colleges as well....some of them are more equipped for placing people with lesser work-ex, while there are some which excel in both.....

what all b-schools are givin lateral placement offers..??

the placement pattern at B-schools now. Check out what going on 

https://edudrona.com/b-school-placement-pattern-2/?mref=oshipau