Lancaster MBA 09-10: Applications and beyond

This discussion thread is started for those who are looking for admission to a one year MBA program in UK in the 2009-10 session and want to discuss or know more about the Lancaster MBA from Lancaster University Management School,Lancaster,UK. …

This discussion thread is started for those who are looking for admission to a one year MBA program in UK in the 2009-10 session and want to discuss or know more about the Lancaster MBA from Lancaster University Management School,Lancaster,UK.
I am a participant (from India) of the current MBA 2008/9 class and will try to respond to any specific queries, in my personal capacity.

Thanks DPS
My Query:

I have given GMAT this october and my score is 690/4.5. Along with that I have more than 3 years of IT experience which wd be 4 yrs by Sep,09( 2 years at onsite in UK). 1 out of 3 years as lead.
Decent academics(X - 87%, XII - 77%, B.Tech - 74%)

Bad part: GMAT score of
Can you please suggest which universities I should aim for where I stand a decent chance of getting through. I am basically interested in one year course and want to specialize in consulting.

I have shortlisted Lancaster, MSB, AGSM, NUS, ISB, KHU, Manchester as of now.

I am more inclined towards Lancaster and would also like to know about the placement scenario for the same.

Thanks
Lovekesh

Hi Lovekesh

1. You could look at taking help from MBA counselling services like Princeton Review, The Chopras etc. who will guide you professionally. The later is Lancaster university official agent in India.

2. You can compare on course content, cost, course length/opportunity cost, rankings, faculty rating, etc

3. Placement scenario in current scenario is something we all are also watching closely.

4. GMAT 690 shouldn't be a big issue in UK, though your relatively less experience may come in the way unless it is balanced of by some other achievements. The average workex of Lancaster MBA is 8 years and avg age is 31 years.

hey DPS1,

Even i am thinking about an MBA in UK.Just spoke to a friend yesterday and she said that its not a very good time right now.She has graduated last year and has still not landed up with a good job.One more friend who graduated from Warwick does not have a job.

Can you please let us know more about the job situation and the placement senario this year at Lancaster?

Well, many people come for MBA to UK hoping that this will a route to placement here. There is nothing wrong with this, except that the current business scenario comes in the way of this. The placement of MBAs from last batch in UK is not encouraging, to put it mildly. Also, there is the issue of people in US wanting to shift to EU due to the relatively better situation here, so far that is!

If you want to come to UK for the better quality of education and return home for job/business, than it there are a whole lot of plus points here. But than, you must evaluate Indian MBA options vs UK ones.

Hi DPS1,

Had 2 queries, 1 regarding my chances of getting a call from Lancaster and the other regarding the Job Scenario in UK at present.

My profile is as follows:
irst, a question abt my chances of getting a call from GLIM.

GMAT:650 :sad:
Work Ex: 5 years (Almost, 3 years satyam, 2 years Franklin Templeton Investments)
Acads: Avg, (70% in 10th, 84% in 12th, 69.1% in BTech (No flunks )).
Extra Currics: Avg, including a failed startup :sad:.

Do I have chances of getting a call from Lancaster? :sad:.

Also, I have sent LUMS an email asking for TOEFL/IELTS Waiver but havent received a reply yet. Did you have a TOEFL Waiver too or did you write TOEFL/IELTS?

Secondly, My supposed plan of action IF I get an MBA Admit from LUMS is to work there for 2-3 years (MBA Paisa Vasool :D) and then return back, but looking at the current job situation and your post above the situation sounds grim. I understand that an MBA from UK is more abt relying on networking and external sources for placements, Are students at LUMS concerned abt placements in the current scenario?

Also, If I am admitted to LUMS and will graduate in Sept 2010, any chances of the UK job market getting better by then??(I know you are no astrologer but asking this just for kicks :D).Also, what is the %age of desis at LUMS now?

Also, one last question. Are you allowed to work part-time while doing your MBA?And how much can one earn??(I know really derogatory question but 😞 ).

Thanks for your time kind sir :).

Replies given below.

Hi DPS1,

Had 2 queries, 1 regarding my chances of getting a call from Lancaster and the other regarding the Job Scenario in UK at present.

My profile is as follows:
First, a question abt my chances of getting a call from GLIM. ??

GMAT:650 :sad: (THIS IS a little below the AVG GMAT IN MOST UK SCHOOLS)
Work Ex: 5 years (Almost, 3 years satyam, 2 years Franklin Templeton Investments) YR AGE IS 38, BUT WORKEX ONLY 5 YEARS ??
Acads: Avg, (70% in 10th, 84% in 12th, 69.1% in BTech (No flunks )).
Extra Currics: Avg, including a failed startup :sad:. V Good... you did try something different!

Do I have chances of getting a call from Lancaster? :sad:. Can't say... if u can differentiate yrself from others with similar profile, it will help. GMAT is not the most important criteria here. It is what you can bring to the class!

Also, I have sent LUMS an email asking for TOEFL/IELTS Waiver but havent received a reply yet. Did you have a TOEFL Waiver too or did you write TOEFL/IELTS? If yr education in India is in English medium, this should not be a problem. They will reply in due course.

Secondly, My supposed plan of action IF I get an MBA Admit from LUMS is to work there for 2-3 years (MBA Paisa Vasool :D) and then return back, but looking at the current job situation and your post above the situation sounds grim. I understand that an MBA from UK is more abt relying on networking and external sources for placements, Are students at LUMS concerned abt placements in the current scenario? Pls see my earlier post. I won't bet my money on anyone getting a job w/o networking and external contacts.

Also, If I am admitted to LUMS and will graduate in Sept 2010, any chances of the UK job market getting better by then??(I know you are no astrologer but asking this just for kicks :D).Also, what is the %age of desis at LUMS now? Yes... situation is expected to improve. 45% Indians in current class.

Also, one last question. Are you allowed to work part-time while doing your MBA?And how much can one earn??(I know really derogatory question but 😞 ). NOT recommended, no one does this, though legally you can work 20hr/week on student visa.

Thanks for your time kind sir :).

Hi,

I am 2/3rd of (Age in profile+1) (Just testing ur quant skillz :D,joking) and not the age specified in my profile :).

hey boss

Scene is really poor.........i hav my frnds in UNC, LBS, LUMS, Cornell......still harping for jobs........

sort of regretting their decisions.

Hi,
When u compare Warwick, Srathclyde and Lancaster according to placements and job prospects after MBA, where do u rank Lancaster.. i know it all depends on individual effort.. but does not the Brand name of the college also matter...

LBS, Lancaster, Manchaster and Cranfield are usually considered in the top bracket in UK by recruiters.

In terms of placement, I think LBS & Cranfield do better (so far) in terms of % placement before the class leaving the school. If you have the money and can get into one of these schools, it is a safe bet.

Manchaster has the relative disadvantage of a 17-month course. I am not sure what may be the effect of current market chaos on LBS placements.

Lancaster differentiates itself from the other three in terms of developing your soft skills through the mindful manager module and the opportunity of three consulting projects in real life business situations. (you can check website for more details)

Thus, I can safely say that there is nothing like a 'best' school. It depends!

Hi,
When u compare Warwick, Srathclyde and Lancaster according to placements and job prospects after MBA, where do u rank Lancaster.. i know it all depends on individual effort.. but does not the Brand name of the college also matter...

K thanks a lot for the reply

hey DPS,
Thanks for starting this thread. This was exactly what I was looking for. Just a couple of quick questions for you:
1. I could not find any info or data on the placements/jobs secured by the latest batch of MBA students, neither in the brochure nor on the website. I found this rather surprising and a tad bit dubious. Could you share some data on this front, in terms of average salaries, top employers etc.?
2. The LUMS website very clearly states that the best way for students to get good a job is to rely on networking and find one by themselves. Also, I didn't see any mention of on-campus placements. From an Indian student's perspective, who is an alien in UK with no professional network to start with: How feasible is that?

Thanks for your time mate.

Hi
1. Placement data should come on the website around Mar/Apr 09. That is 3 months after the graduation (degree is awarded in Dec 09). If you are able to find placement data for other UK schools for 2008 class now, pls let me know - I can take up with the school here.

2. You can develop your network through classmates and Career Management cell of school. Also, you can continue to network back home in India. As I mentioned earlier, there is hardly anything called campus placements here. You must be mentally prepared to accept this.

A quick update. I understand three Indian students have secured admission to the Lancaster MBA beginning Sep 2009. Their GMAT scores are 720+

One is myself
DPS1 and all others who ve been posting on Lancaster threads.. Thanks a lot... helped me a lot with the application and interviews

Congrats! Do post your profile for benefit of everyone. I suggest those who post queries also do the same.

Workex - background/yrs
Gmat
Education
Location-country/city
Languages spoken
Interests
etc

One is myself
DPS1 and all others who ve been posting on Lancaster threads.. Thanks a lot... helped me a lot with the application and interviews

Hi DPS1,

I have applied for Lancaster for 2009/2010 batch and I have received an email stating that my supporting documents have reached AND also "I will be in touch with you again later in the week to arrange a telephone interview."

1) So can I sure expect that I will get a interview call ?
2) If so What I can expect in the interview ?
3) how many % of people usually get thru from interview ?
4) I have a 8 years solid(V. good companies) IT experience ( no management exp though) but with GMAT score of 660 😞 So my low GMAT can any effect on interview result if I get the interview call ? ( I know difficult to answer this question. But... just want to know your thoughts)
5) Can you gimme the profile of 2007-2008/2008-2009 batch ? I mean I am interested to know the avg exp/avg GMAT/professional/national background etc....

Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

Regards
rao_sn
5)

Congrats! Do post your profile for benefit of everyone. I suggest those who post queries also do the same.

Workex - background/yrs
Gmat
Education
Location-country/city
Languages spoken
Interests
etc

Hi All
I am applying for Lancaster through Chopras . I will be starting the application process this week .
cheers
Aditya