Lancaster 2008; interviews & beyond

Dear All This thread is dedicated to the admission in Lancaster University in 2008. I applied around 40 days back and within 10 days, got a reply to get in touch with an alumnus. When this alumnus didnt reply for 10 days, I was asked to …

Dear All

This thread is dedicated to the admission in Lancaster University in 2008.

I applied around 40 days back and within 10 days, got a reply to get in touch with an alumnus. When this alumnus didnt reply for 10 days, I was asked to contact another alumnus. This time I got a response and had a phone interview.

Now I have got an e mail that I need to have a final interview with the director. Please share your experiences...

Regards
Maxximus

Hi maxximus,

Can you pls share ur profile. I am looking at 2009 intake.

Thanks a lot.

Hie...

Seems not many buyers for Lancaster. By one of the most reputed rankings, it stands # 28 in world...n within top 5 in almuni progress and ROI.

Anyways...the news...I've made into the Lancaster University Management School as well.

Options do far..

Boston...100% schol.

ISB...interview scheduled on 3rd Jan

Lancaster...admit but the university does not offer schols.

CAT...had a pathetic day, gettin 22 in quant...may get few lower rung IIM calls...not counting on it

Would love to hear...which is the best option.

Regards,
Maxximus

Hi Maxximus,

Even I have received the mail from lancaster saying the I have to appear for an interview with the alumni.

Can you please let me know how was ur phone interview and what all questions were asked and how long was the interview??

Regards,
Rohit

Dear All

This thread is dedicated to the admission in Lancaster University in 2008.

I applied around 40 days back and within 10 days, got a reply to get in touch with an alumnus. When this alumnus didnt reply for 10 days, I was asked to contact another alumnus. This time I got a response and had a phone interview.

Now I have got an e mail that I need to have a final interview with the director. Please share your experiences...

Regards
Maxximus

Hi all

I am also applying to Lancaster. I intend to apply there in Jan. Am I too late to apply.
please advice.

about myself
Gmat 690
Work ex 2.5yr(till date)
Currently an enterpreneur but worked in IT for 1 yr

Thanks

How did alumni interview go ?
Also, how was the final interview ? What were they interested in ?

Hi Maxximus,
I am an aspirant for Lancaster MBA, just submitted the app online.
what are the documents to be sent by courier?
Also, do we need to ask GMAC to send GMAT report to the university or I can send a copy of the report. Also do we need to send marksheet + degree cert and/or transcripts for the undergrad degree.

Thanks for you help!
Anil

got an email frm Lancaster saying they received all my supporting docs and that they will interview me shortly.

Hey Maximmus,
I have my telephonic interview scheduled with lancaster MBA director for 31st Jan.
Can you please share details on how the interview process is and what kind of questions he kased you.

Thanks in advance!
Anil Singh

Hey Maximmus,
I have my telephonic interview scheduled with lancaster MBA director for 31st Jan.
Can you please share details on how the interview process is and what kind of questions he kased you.

Thanks in advance!
Anil Singh

Hi Anil!

Congrats on clearing phase-I interview. It was imperative to clear the alumnus interview as I've seen people getting rejected by alumni. Admission Director is a true gentleman, he would get very familiar with you and have a very informal, interesting discussion. Throw him hints on things u wanna talk about n he'll grab them. All in all, it'll be a very general i/v..

tell abt ur job
one challenge during job
wats leadership for u
one instance where u displayed leadership
one ethical dilemma
problems in indian economy, growth
what if u were pm of india
y lancaster
international exposure
difference u believe u'll find b/w an indian n a british

n he'll be eager to answer ur questions...have a confident outing...n feel free to contact me if u wish to know anything more....

Regards,
Maxximus

Hello All,

Was going through the LUMS MBA application and they dont seem to have any essays that you need to fill in. Just a Statement of purpose. Just wanted to confirm that there are indeed no essays to be complted for the MBA application of 2008.

Any input would help!

Thanks
-Hrishi

Hi Maxximus,
Thanks for thos inputs, it helped. Just finished the call. actually, they didn't ask me to go for an alum interview and I didn't have the same. I directly had this interview with the director and he asked me similar questions - job profile, challenges, learnings, why lancaster, diff between india and US in terms of work culture, etc.... I think i answered to the point, however not sure on how i fared though. He said they will let me know the outcome in 24 hours.

Keeping my fingers croosed until then.

Cheers,
Anil Singh

Guys,
One day after the interview, I received the admit email. I have been offered a place in Lancaster. I am extremely happy about it, though I am not sure about whether I will join.
I have also been admitted to IPMX at IIML and I have accepted that offer, bit confused now....

Any thoughts between IIML and Lancaster would be highly appreciated.

Regards
Anil Singh

Gentlemen,

I am currently doing the fulltime MBA at Lancaster. Proud to say, the MBA has shot up the Financial Times global MBA rankings that were released on Jan 28th this year.
It now sits at rank 22, above Kellogs, Warwick, Strathclyde, NUS, Nanyang and close on the heels of HEC Paris. Incidentally, it is also ranked by Forbes among the top 10 1-year MBAs (outside the US).

Having a good time so far 😃

If you guys have any queries, shoot them off!

Cheers
Harsha

Hey Harsha,
I have got an admit for 2008 Batch, would appreciate if you can provide some help on the following questions,

1. What is the placement scenario like? I understand that there is no capus offers, the college just facilitates you to contact companies for job offers, is that correct? What are the chances of getting placed by the time you complete the studies.
2. My profile is 9 years work-ex in IT services with Infy and Cognizant. over 3 years international work ex including US and UK. What kind of job can i expect for my profile after the course? Kind of jobs for my profile in IT as well as consulting?
3. What is the Schol scene? What are the chances of getting Schols and to what extent?
4. I intend to work in India later on, how much value add it would bring if one works in Indian market? How is the brand value of Lancaster in India compared to ISBs and IIMs in India.

A quick response will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Anil Singh

Congratulations Anil on the admit !!
Was talking to a lot of Alumni from Lancaster and they are of the opinion that the coure content is great but its kinda difficult to break into industrial hubs like London from a small town far away -Lancaster.

Am done with submitting my application. The app doesnt have any essays at all. Is that correct? Would be glad if you let me know on that one just to be sure I have submitted the right app. None of the applications Ive submitted before appear to be anything like this one.

-Hrishi

Dear Anil,

1. Across UK, companies don't usually recruit MBAs from campus. This holds true even for a b-school like LBS. UK being a very mature market, doesn't rush to campuses to grab MBA talent and coming from India, this will be difficult to digest! One has to personally apply to companies via corporate websites and most companies have graduate recruitment programs that you can apply for. You must understand that, the recruitment process in Europe in general is far more intense than India, with assessment centres, several rounds of interviewing and even group discussions. Lancaster excells in coaching you for this process and there is year long training/ guidance on CVs/interviews/job search resources/ access to career fairs and so on that help you face the UK job scene. Typically most people get placed within 3 months of graduation. One needs to start the process well in advance, depending on which sector you're applying to.

2. With your kind of background, IT consulting is quite big and there are a lot of biggies like CapGemini, Gartner, and Booz Allen Hamilton that have MBA recruitment programs. You seem to have considerable experience (9 yrs) incl. internationalexposure and i think that will lend a considerable advantage bcoz most chaps seem to have around 5yrs.

3. If you have had a good academic background (by Indian standards), and proven career progress, you can request them and see if you're eligible for a scholarship. They always reward several good applicants each year.

4. From what my IT comrades tell me, Lancaster is rated by most HR departments in Indian IT companies as 'Tier-1', which is alongside IIM and ISB. Now coming to the general perception in India, it is slowly developing. You are arriving at a good time, if you ask me, bcoz the school's perception is rising. They recently conferred a honorary PhD on Narayanamurthy. They have plans of building similar goodwill in the Indian corporate circles. And you can't ignore the rising global ranking 😃

Cheers
Harsha

Hey guys,

I have a personla interview with Lancaster tomorrow ie. monday 04th Feb.. So i guess it would be someone from the admission committee...

Hrishi : Yes, there is only one SOP kind of question on the Lancaster application.. and approx work limit is 750 words (i had checked with the univ)

Harsh: could you please address a few of my doubts :

I am pretty interested in the univ, but my doubts are only cause it doesn't support HSMP.. so whats the work authorisation scenario for international students?? Are all employers willing to file for the Work permits ? Whats the risk and monetary investment involved with WP?? Any bonds with the companies that hire you??

Thanks all for your inputs 😃

Thanks for the clarification Somya.
I believe that the MBA provision that automatically gives you 75 points if you passout of one of the 50 colleges is going to be removed in the near future. So that puts all colleges in the same boat.
But if you use the HSMP calculator located on the UK immigration website, you shall find that it is not difficult to qualify for the HSMP even though this provision is removed (provided u were employed prior to joining the MBA and had a decent salary 6000 GBP or so)
Harsha can comment further

-Hrishi