Know your PGite-Anuj Arora, Anuj, IIM-A 2005

Here’s the guy who’s been keeping ya folks in the loop on recent happenings @ IIMA, the guy who joined the forums pretty recently, but has plunged head on since then, the guy who’s now busy chilling out waiting for the placement week to start, the…

Here's the guy who's been keeping ya folks in the loop on recent happenings @ IIMA, the guy who joined the forums pretty recently, but has plunged head on since then, the guy who's now busy chilling out waiting for the placement week to start, the guy who belongs to the class of 2005, IIMA. Anuj Arora a.k.a. Hanjo Singh (more on this in another article 😉 ) a.k.a. Anuj on the forums.

Under-Graduation: Kurukshetra University (B.E. - E.C.E) Fresher
CAT Percentile : 98.78
Final Calls : A (can ya get any luckier than this !!)

CAT/GD-PI Gyaan:

----> Don't mention what stream you plan to specialize in your PI. Doing that would be a definite invitation to probe deep and further into your knowledge of that field. "The Panel Knows everything of nothing !!!"

----> Don't give generic, global stuff on your C.V. You could literally get Rap#% !!

----> Be well prepared on your interests that you mention. Don't put anything for the sake of putting.

----> Don't expect affirmations/denials from adcom while answering. Consequently, don't read too much into any gesture (past years indicate such gestures as giving chocolates, offering tea et al )

----> If something goes wrong in one part of your interview, don't let that hamper the rest of your interview.

----> Stay Cool

----> Try not to use any fancy jargon ;)

Anuj, in past year and half, fell in love with these @ A:

----> "A" is a goldmine of knowledge. What you take from here depends solely on you.

----> Life here teaches you humility

----> One gets umpteen number of opportunities at various things here

----> The scale of things that happens here is really huge

And these are some things he could do less with @ A:

----> Less person to person contact

----> Less freedom

----> People becoming individualistic to a certain extent

Anuj is specializing in : Marketing

And yes, thankfully Anuj sleeps a good 6hrs a day, much to the envy of a lotta fuchchas 😉 (but feels he has to cut down)

Survival kit @ A must have:

----> Will power

----> Belief in oneself

----> Ability to find one's level (grades) and staying there

Since Anuj has been around for some time in A, we asked him what in his opinion was the driving force for most junta here : was it placements or was it learning. And he had this to say :

When people come in :

Placements: 70%
Learning: 30%

@ end of year 1:

Placements: 50%
Learning : 50%

He believes that since most aspirants have hardly any kind of info about life @ A or the kind of learning that is possible there, most people see only the salary figures since that is the only info available in the public domain.

Sound Bites :

----> First thing one realizes after coming into A, All you know is Nothing !!

----> Getting in is NOT a matter of life and death

----> To better appreciate the learning methodologies, it is best advised to have diversified work-ex before coming to A. Anuj believes the average minimum work-ex is only gonna increase in coming years.

---->Ranking is all Hoopla; Use your common sense and realize the business aspect of rankings

----> And finally, IIMA guys are not geeks 😉

hey thats a cool gyan about the pi, just askin if i would be able to divert them from my NOT SO STRONG POINT(tech) , by goin into economics(in which i flair better

Ok....i do c a point in Anuj's sayin that we need not mention in the PIs as to wich stream do we wish to specialize in.That wil save us frm unnecessary trouble.Bt,wt if dat invites trouble frm the panel.....i mean to say.....they tke it
otherwise dat the guy doesnt even knw(or hasnt even planned wt stream suits him perfect)....I guess gettin in2 an IIMA wants the aspirants 2 b well real confident of wat they need to specialize in future.
Maybe i m wrong-bt jus sharin wt i hav in mind..........help me plz..... :huh:
----BTW-This is the future corporate leader of India

i mean to say.....they tke it otherwise dat the guy doesnt even knw(or hasnt even planned wt stream suits him perfect)....I guess gettin in2 an IIMA wants the aspirants 2 b well real confident of wat they need to specialize in future.

They never take it otherwise, because they are also humans afterall, though after a year in IIM-A you kind of start doubting it, given the pressure they put us under ...but still :).

And yeah, if they try qning u on this, it juss means they are testing ur cool and calm...and the only thing one needs to do is to stick to wat has been said earlier, using different arguments to support the same conclusion.

To tell u frankly, I am 27 days away from my 2nd year, but am still not sure if the career path am gonna choose is the best one for me, so dont worry.

ranjan

Allrite.I got that.But,still,i want to know if u r sure of wat u r sayin.....
Like me-I wish to open a financial company .I know wat I m doin as of now n wat i m goin to do in future.But,acc to ur statement,i still hav to pretend infront of the interview panel dat i do not know anything abt my future planning.Right.U want me to do dat?I m confident abt wat i wanna do-but if by doin wat u hav mentioned-if i stay on the safer side-fine-i'll well get doin that.

Allrite.I got that.But,still,i want to know if u r sure of wat u r sayin.....
Like me-I wish to open a financial company .I know wat I m doin as of now n wat i m goin to do in future.But,acc to ur statement,i still hav to pretend infront of the interview panel dat i do not know anything abt my future planning.Right.U want me to do dat?I m confident abt wat i wanna do-but if by doin wat u hav mentioned-if i stay on the safer side-fine-i'll well get doin that.

Hey I guess u being quite particular about wat Anuj has suggested. You see when ever the tips or suggestions are given they are in generalised form, so as may apply for every one. In this case he was meant to suggest that specifying your interest of specialization may attract intense attack on the topic from the int. board. And in case of being not able to reply satisfactorily will certainly bring embarrasement.

May be you are quite confident about your goals but its a specific case and if you beleive that u are convincing enough to justisy your interest of specialization , U may go ahead and get that extra mileage in ur PI performance.

But still having Confidence doesn't implies having Complete knowledge. Some times little knowledge about the matter leads to unreasonable confidence. Its only when we encounter the reality come to know how little we used to know about it. Nothing personal. But interview boards in IIMS or alike are undoubtedly material enough to puzzle the so called confident ppls. Dats why they are their.

SO CONFIDENCE IS GOOD BUT LETS KEEP DUE RESPECT TO THE INT. BOARDS AND NOT CHALLENGE THEIR ABILITY OF MESSING THE CANDIDATES.

Lemme try to answer this Most guys, be they in software/*whatnot* , usually are attracted by the big bracket recruiters, the Lehman bros, the GSes and the like....And consequently develop a liking for finance....Nothing wrong with that....But, imho, in such a case, the functional knowledge that one has of the finance field is something that is limited to just how an i-bank functions, etc (coz he/she learnt a few stuff abt their interest areas)....But, consider the case if the same candidate were to refer to "finance" as his intended area of specialization, then the questions that might follow would, more often than not, pertain more to all verticals of finance rather than a single function....And this is where one gets into the not-so-very-comfortable position of having axed their own foot ....And, from my conversation with Anuj, i guess this was what he was hinting at... :)

Cheers

Here's the guy who's been keeping ya folks in the loop on recent happenings @ IIMA, the guy who joined the forums pretty recently, but has plunged head on since then, the guy who's now busy chilling out waiting for the placement week to start, the guy who belongs to the class of 2005, IIMA. Anuj Arora a.k.a. Hanjo Singh (more on this in another article 😉 ) a.k.a. Anuj on the forums.

yup hav been redaing em and that placement report wsa exhaustive n quite enlightening-(operations 1%:wow: --does not matter)...
No wreally waitin for that article abt Hanjo Singh which has been promised 3.5 weeks back --must be in a quite long pipeline ...
gr8 work urmad (one ques we hav pics of anuj n suhas n shrijit in the interviews but no bharathi --why?)
Puneet

SATYA VACHAN!!
Actually i had a cncern I wanted to share and get addressed, thats why i have posted out here,.Dont know if there is a seperate thread for this!!!!! if there is plz let me know as i am new to this!

I am a graduate with overall 4 years of work-exp and post graduation its 2 yrs.

I am presently working as an HR in a software development company in Hyd! Now I guess that an MBA will add value to me as an individual and also i would be able to apply my knowldge & exp. at work! I was wondering what is the value of a Correspondence Course from symbiosis, pune or an Executive programme from XLRI for 14 months! This will include 6 hrs classes every saturdays and sundays along with one week stay at the XLRI campus. Symbiosis will not have any classes. The total cost of XLRI programme will be 1 lakh 80 thousand. The cost of Symbiosis, Pune will be Rs. 20,000.00

When i consulted someone, he said that a correspondence will always be correspondence be it any brand. Unless it is real time, it hardly matters. So theres no point in wasting 1,8 lakhs and instead invest in Rs.20,000.00! Bottomline is experience,...

Now, I am not able to figure it out which one should I opt for? I request someone to throw some light on this using genuine points so that I am convinced and I can convince others.

According to me XLRI, has a brand and it will be substantial!

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ guide me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks !:neutral:
anandmbm Says
SATYA VACHAN!!

Hi Anuj,

I am a PG student at IIT Roorkee & I am fedup of this course & I dont see any opportunity knocking at my door in future . So I am planning to take CAT as the better option. Please suggest me over that. I am confused. I am a mechanical engineer & doing PG in Industrial Metallurgy here. I have done apprenticeship of 1 yr. I am a 2002 batch passout & admitted in IITR in 2004. I think, I waisted 2 yrs of my life in between. Would that make a impact on further planning to get into IIM's & other management colleges. Is there any adv. for PG student in admission process? I am in urgent need to rap this up as early as possible. So pl. suggest me the right way.
Thank You.

Nilesh M. Kumbhare
IITR

Under-Graduation: Kurukshetra University (B.E. - E.C.E) Fresher
CAT Percentile : 98.78
Final Calls : A (can ya get any luckier than this !!)

CAT/GD-PI Gyaan:

----> Don't mention what stream you plan to specialize in your PI. Doing that would be a definite invitation to probe deep and further into your knowledge of that field. "The Panel Knows everything of nothing !!!"

----> Don't give generic, global stuff on your C.V. You could literally get Rap#% !!

----> Be well prepared on your interests that you mention. Don't put anything for the sake of putting.

----> Don't expect affirmations/denials from adcom while answering. Consequently, don't read too much into any gesture (past years indicate such gestures as giving chocolates, offering tea et al )

----> If something goes wrong in one part of your interview, don't let that hamper the rest of your interview.

----> Stay Cool

----> Try not to use any fancy jargon ;)

Anuj, in past year and half, fell in love with these @ A:

----> "A" is a goldmine of knowledge. What you take from here depends solely on you.

----> Life here teaches you humility

----> One gets umpteen number of opportunities at various things here

----> The scale of things that happens here is really huge

And these are some things he could do less with @ A:

----> Less person to person contact

----> Less freedom

----> People becoming individualistic to a certain extent

Anuj is specializing in : Marketing

And yes, thankfully Anuj sleeps a good 6hrs a day, much to the envy of a lotta fuchchas 😉 (but feels he has to cut down)

Survival kit @ A must have:

----> Will power

----> Belief in oneself

----> Ability to find one's level (grades) and staying there

Since Anuj has been around for some time in A, we asked him what in his opinion was the driving force for most junta here : was it placements or was it learning. And he had this to say :

When people come in :

Placements: 70%
Learning: 30%

@ end of year 1:

Placements: 50%
Learning : 50%

He believes that since most aspirants have hardly any kind of info about life @ A or the kind of learning that is possible there, most people see only the salary figures since that is the only info available in the public domain.

Sound Bites :

----> First thing one realizes after coming into A, All you know is Nothing !!

----> To better appreciate the learning methodologies, it is best advised to have diversified work-ex before coming to A. Anuj believes the average minimum work-ex is only gonna increase in coming years.

---->Ranking is all Hoopla; Use your common sense and realize the business aspect of rankings

----> And finally, IIMA guys are not geeks 😉

Hello Nilesh,
I m sure u wont mind my advising u on this though i m a junior member n i guess 3-4 yrs junior to u.
Look-CAT is not a cake walk-U decide u'll appear for CAT-bcuz it has got more opportunities n gud money--No,dat is not the way u shud approach CAT xam.
It is one of the toughest in the world n u need to be a jack of all trades(know everythin n anything).
U need to real gud in english(wich is real tough out thr in CAT) plus mathematics.Quick maths.N i guess u have a plus point here cuz u r frm IITR itself.Plus-reading Economic Times everyday(make it a habit as soon as possible) will work u wonders.
I see dat u have a query as to whether wil u have any problems in applyin for IIMs bcuz u feel u have wasted ur two yrs inbetween.Well,this never matters.IIMs r meant for MBAs--age group varies--there r ppl who join this insti even at 29-30.Maybe more.Yes they definitely have dat plus point of that work experience they carry.
But since u hav wasted the to yrs(accordin to u),U can definitely put some gud reason of wat u did these two yrs infront of the interview panel.With time while u prepare urself for this i m sure u wil get sum proper xpert advise down the line.
This is it for now.U may mail me at [email protected] for more queries.
Or post them at PGALGUY.COM itself.
One more thing-no advantages to any students frm anystream.CAT is for all students gud in maths n english n sound in a lot of all-round stuff.
Best wishes.

Hi Sweta , am I right?
I am nilesh fr IIT roorkee
It is not like that I am doing it for the money only. It is my dreams to take CAT & have a good hand on the exam for the future. I am very passionate @ CAT . I am very much serious @ CAT this time. Since much time had passed so I ddont think it is right to pass some more time so I am planning my schedule for thte rest of the setion. I have 2 months in hand before my next semister start. What do u think?
I have lot many work to do before the exam.
I know u are much younger to me but since u are one of the aspirant for CAT so I posted my message. But I think I made this for Mr. Anuj but I dont how this went t u.
Lets forgete @ it try to focus on the CAT problems.
I want to know fr u that what kind of discussions we can do on this thread.
If u want suggest anything pl. do it .

NIlesh

My mail add is [email protected]

Hi,
How do I prepare for GD's. Given that I have just appeared for IIML WMP (result awaited - likely to be out by 27th May, '05), and just have very few days to go through all the stuff that I should have gone through over the last few years. I've been a lazy bum, but I do not want that to stop me from making it.

Please Help. I am sure I am in a pretty bad situation here.

Cheers
AT

amazing thread

one question--wat type of hobbies one shud have which can impress the board.

i knw its a bad question but i knw people who do develop hobbies for the heck of cat be it quizzing or f1

saurabh

amazing thread

one question--wat type of hobbies one shud have which can impress the board.

i knw its a bad question but i knw people who do develop hobbies for the heck of cat be it quizzing or f1

saurabh

F1 is no longer the surprise element :)
Try to develop a hobby which u'll b comfortable in while spending innumerous hrs to master it!

Hi Anuj,

Myself Tushar,

I passed out from IIT last year with a gpa of 7.3.

i have got few calls from iims (all - b), and i m reely apprehensive about my interview for IIMA because the gpa factor is not defensible(that's what i suppose).

also, there is a one year gap between my schooling and college entry as i took one year to prepare for JEE, so tht's also a concern as to how to say this stuff in Q & As in the form i have received.

Could you advise me on this as to what route one can take to explain that all?

Also, I m quite a gud enthusiast of dance and have quite a knowledge, will that help......?
and there was a mention about choosing a particular stream (in the previous posts) which should not be mentioned.....in the interview....and the fact is i actually dont know what i want to take up although i have developed some liking about infrastructure topics and i dont know where they fit in those streams.......i want to work in infrastructure consulting after my mba though........

and (i m sorry i m posing too many things) also while spending this one year out of college i do think that after sometime i will be doing some social work may be wanting to get into some NGO or world organisation........but i cannot say this because i have never done any volunteer work for any social organisation as yet.....but i have done some help to some privilege children but i cannot substantiate that so should i go about it or just leave it and make the infrastructure thing more stronger???

I am presently working in an IT company at gurgaon which is a CRM company(customer relationship management) which is again a gap in the mapping as to why i want to get into all that stuff written above...........

its too much for the asking but hope you can drop me an advice on all this as to how i shud go ahead and prepare about this.....my interview is in 2nd week of march....
waiting for ur post......

cheers
tushar