Kellogg 2011 Applicants

I am starting a thread for discussion regarding the Kellogg 2011 App process. The essay topics are as follows: *Essay #1 * Briefly assess your career progress to date. Elaborate on your future career plans and your motivation for purs…

I am starting a thread for discussion regarding the Kellogg 2011 App process.

The essay topics are as follows:

Essay #1
Briefly assess your career progress to date. Elaborate on your future career plans and your motivation for pursuing an MBA. (600 word limit)

Essay #2
Describe your key leadership experiences and evaluate what leadership areas you hope to develop through your MBA experiences (600 word limit).

Essay #3
Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community? (600 word limit).
Essay #4Complete one of the following three questions or statements. (400 word limit)

a) Describe an instance where you encountered resistance in a professional team setting. How did you address the situation?
b) People may be surprised to learn that I..
nc) The best mistake I ever made was.

Guys, do get back and all the best

Applying to Kellogg in R1.

WE : 4+ (S/W)
Acads : Good
EC : Decent
GMAT : 750 / 5

Areas of interest : Strategy Consulting, SCM & Sustainable Development, Entrepreneurship.

Haven't started with the essays yet.
Regarding TOEFL, as per the Kellogg website
"The applicant completed an undergraduate or graduate degree at a college or university where English was the ONLY language of instruction".

I'm wondering how to prove that English was the ONLY language of instruction! Won't the marksheets and transcript in english suffice to prove that?

sF.

It all depends on which school you were in for your undergrad studies. If its fairly popular like IITs you can just point to their website as they have mentioned. Else, get it typed from your administrative block that English was the only language of instruction. I think this is what is mentioned in the website.

When you do get started with the essays, the discussions will get interesting.

Is there no one else applying to Kellogg or succesful Kellog applicants last year?

Hey i want to apply for Kellogg as well but i am confused with my GMAT score
its pretty low at 690/5
TOefl 112

Have very good acads
class 12-90%
Btech -9.5/10 (GOld medalist from NIT silchar )

Decent EC and good recos

work ex-3 years petroleum industry in ONGC, working in a new project with work ex in project management and operations. New project helped gain good knowledge about business development

Goals- Consulting

Have to take a decision quickly guys please evaluate my chances??

I would suggest not using the forum to evaluate profiles, we could rather use this to increase our chances with essays here. You can make your profile as good as you can by writing good essays or projecting your achievements in positive light. 😃

You have an excellent undergrad record, and use that to your advantage, try to use your expereince to your advantage as well.

Just wanted to ask u where does the option of essays come up on the application form...and moreover do we need to send the recommendation letters in soft copy or hard copy.....are there any other documents that are to be sent through mails

Everything is a soft copy, please check the website for application 😃

Has anybody decided what to do for Essay 4? Which essay are you picking?

Essay #4Complete one of the following three questions or statements. (400 word limit)

a) Describe an instance where you encountered resistance in a professional team setting. How did you address the situation?
b) People may be surprised to learn that I..
c) The best mistake I ever made was.

I'm yet to decide on (4). IMO, option (a) is probably going to be the common choice, (b) and (c) are tricky ones - but if reinforced with exciting stories from either professional or personal experiences, can surely bring the applicant one step closer to an I/V call.

Especially for (c), we need to mention about a decision we'd made in life which turned out to be based on wrong assumptions, but at the same time that very decision decision paved the way to our success (well, till now 😃 ). Any more idea on that ?

Btw, probably I've to give the first deadline a miss because of TOEFL issue. (Not getting a date before Nov 12 here ). Nevertheless, I'll try finish the essays along with ISB ones.

For Kellogg, TOEFL is not compulsory, and I agree on you with respect to the essay topics.

You just need to show that you have studied from a College where the language of instruction is English.

Few hours back got a mail from Kellogg adcom -

We would like to issue an update on essay number two so that you have an opportunity to highlight a range of your leadership experiences.

The slightly modified question is as follows:

Describe your key leadership experiences and evaluate what leadership areas you hope to develop through your MBA experience. (600 word limit)

Please respond to this question, and not the earlier iteration. We look forward to reading about multiple examples of your leadership, as well as your aspirations for the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding this matter.

At least how many instances do you think we need to describe here - I'm asking this because I don't lead a team at my workplace, so almost all the instances I need to draw from personal / EC activities.

sF.

You must have taken leadership initiative at something at work, you can describe, else I dont think it should be a problem if almost all instances are from personal/EC activities.

What I didn't understand is the difference between this and the previous question

how are the essays coming along ? btw, this article can be of li'l bit help
http://www.stacyblackman.com/2010/06/29/tuesday-tips-kellogg-essay-tips-2/

sF.

Kellogg was one of the Colleges that my Score was automatically sent to when I appeared for the GMAT. I am, however having second thoughts on doing a MBA from Kellogg, or for that matter, any College in the US. My doubts are as follows :

- The Kellogg 1 yr MBA comes at approx $102000, and the highest Scholarship that one can avail is around $30000. That would mean an expense from anywhere between $72000 to $102000. Clearing the Loan might take over a decade.

- No signs of Placement at Kellogg, and the ever increasing protectionist measures in the US imply that Openings for Asians/Indians will dwindle. It hardly makes any sense to do a MBA that you pay for in dollars and then earn in INR.

Any Ideas?

Hi Samsid,

I might apply for kellog for R2.

I am wondering why do you write "- No signs of Placement at Kellogg, and the ever increasing protectionist measures in the US imply that Openings for Asians/Indians will dwindle. It hardly makes any sense to do a MBA that you pay for in dollars and then earn in INR." Could you point us to your research

Regards

Kellogg was one of the Colleges that my Score was automatically sent to when I appeared for the GMAT. I am, however having second thoughts on doing a MBA from Kellogg, or for that matter, any College in the US. My doubts are as follows :

- The Kellogg 1 yr MBA comes at approx $102000, and the highest Scholarship that one can avail is around $30000. That would mean an expense from anywhere between $72000 to $102000. Clearing the Loan might take over a decade.

- No signs of Placement at Kellogg, and the ever increasing protectionist measures in the US imply that Openings for Asians/Indians will dwindle. It hardly makes any sense to do a MBA that you pay for in dollars and then earn in INR.

Any Ideas?

Hi all,

I'm applying in R1 to Kellogg. My profile reads 750/3yrs/MC/IIT. Would love to connect with other fellow applicants. Has anyone heard for an interview invite yet?

Cheers,
c00

Coolguy
I dont think so....they would rather take some more time before sending out the invites...i have also applied in R1
Cheers
Sayantan

Coolguy
I dont think so....they would rather take some more time before sending out the invites...i have also applied in R1
Cheers
Sayantan

hmm... I've read in a couple of BW forums that some international candidates have already been interviewed... hate playin the waiting game!