Kelley Fall 2013

Folks, I am a current student at Kelley School of Business, Indiana Uni. I am here to provide you with inputs on the School, application, and interviews. Start posting!

Folks,

I am a current student at Kelley School of Business, Indiana Uni. I am here to provide you with inputs on the School, application, and interviews.

Start posting!

Hello...I have applied in R1... When can I expect to hear back from Kelley?

Hey Siddharth, You can expect to hear from admissions in the second week of Nov. I applied in R1 (early) and got my interview invite on 12th Nov last year. It should be similar, if not same, this year.

HTH!

Hi,

I am a prospective student and applying to Kelley in R2.

I have few questions about Kelley application:

1. Is it true that R1 and R2 doesn't make a lot of difference as far as Kelley is concerned? I heard Brad saying that during an admission event at Bangalore.

2. One of the essays for Kelley is based on a hypothetical situation. Now, what is that one most important thing that the admission committee members look in such an essay. Creativity? Clarity of thought? Goal Orientation? General Awareness? Please rate them on decreasing importance.

3. A personalized query: With an experience of 5 Years in IT, Coming from an over-represented pool of candidates, GMAT of 750, Decent GPA and Strong extra-curricular activities like Theater and Stand-up comedy, can I expect a call? What are my chances for a scholarship?

Thanks for starting this thread and it comes at a time when people like me need it most! :-)

Will await your reply...

1. Well, R1 and R2 certain make a difference irrespective of the School. Now that difference is big or small is a function of many factors such as number of applicants in R1 (you can't predict this), popularity of the School (HSWK league) etc. I would just apply based on my overall strategy, which takes into consideration applications to other schools.

2. I am not aware of the essay questions this year; are you referring to the 'three persons one can go on a road trip with' essay? If yes, my rating would be goal and interests orientation, reflection of your personality, clarity of thought. Ignore others.

3. It depends on your story telling. You have a check box on GMAT, GPA. Rest depends on how you tell your story and connect that with your goals. Interview is another hurdle, which can be tackled by thoroughly reading through your essays and CV. Got reminded about CV - dont ignore it.

Is it true that Indians below 700 GMAT do not make it to Kelley ?
Is there special weightage to entrepreneurship?

Hi Ambar,

It really depends on the pool of the applicants you belong to. We have quite a few Indian folks here who are in the range of 680-700. But, 700+ is the safest bet.

I don't know what you mean by weight-age to entrepreneurship, but if you mean you are an entrepreneur and you are planning to apply for an MBA degree, you would certainly have higher visibility over other candidates.

On the other hand if you are asking if Kelley is good for entrepreneurship or not, I would say that Entrepreneurship and Marketing are two forte of Kelley school and are very popular among students

Hey KelleyMBA,

I got an interview call from Kelley, the interview is scheduled on 6th Nov. I am quite excited and nervous as this will be my first real B-School interview ever. Any tips will be very helpful. Would the interviewer have read my CV and essays?
I have 730 GMAT, 7.39/10 GPA and will have 3 years of IT consulting experience when I join.
What is the one important thing that you believe makes the difference between a selection and rejection in an interview?
Thanks,
Ankit

Hey Ankit,

Congratulations for the invite! To reduce your apprehensions, you can ask someone close to take a mock interview. Re: CV and Essays - Interviewer will surely have your CV, but for essays one cant really say. If your interview is with 2nd year, chances of not reading the essays are higher than those of reading.

You are fine on the quantitative aspects of the application, just focus on the qualitative part (interview). Some tips I can share are be sure to listen, and be concise in your answers; Always have 1-2 questions ready for the interviewer at the end of the interview.

Cheers! Let me know how it went.
@KelleyMBA Thanks mate 😃 I will keep these things in mind..! Will keep u posted.

Cheers,
Ankit

Has anybody else received an interview date? I recieved an iSTART ID and PIN yesterday.

@siddharthsen85 Did you receive an interview date as well?

I recieved an iSTART ID and PIN yesterday. But not the interview invite.
Also the mail mentioned explicitly that no decision has yet been made.

ambar - I received the Same mail.

Hi Kelley MBA,

I am Akshay and I am considering applying in R2 for the 2013 intake.

Although my GMAt score of 640 is slightly on the lower side, I would have 3 years of work ex by fall 2013, GPA >3, Worked at Goldman Sachs for 18 months, and currently working in my family business. I have done my B com plus a 4 year PGDM in entrepreneurship and family business mgmt. What do you think my chances are wrt to the Kelly MBA? and do you think my GMAT score will really stand in my way even if all the other aspects of my application are strong?

@KelleyMBA I had my interview yesterday and I feel that I was able to express all the aspects of my personality very well. The interview touched almost all the relevant facets of my application and I felt at ease because my interviewer was really supportive. She also shared her experiences which made me even more excited about getting into the Kelley MBA program.

The questions were:
1. About myself
2. Professional Experiences(the good, the bad and the ugly 😁 )
3. Hobbies
4. Leadership style
5. Why MBA
6. Why Kelley
and some more which came up from the answers I gave to the above ques... :)

From my side, I am happy that I was able to talk about all the important things that I had in mind and I felt that the answers were received quite well by my interviewer.

Now the fingers are crossed! Hoping for the best...
The wait till Late December is killing me :D
Please let me know what you think about this interview and I would also request the other members to share their experiences.

Thanks for your advice and guidance,
Ankit

Hey,

The istart portal indicates that i have to upload financial documents. I have not receievd any interview call or admit letter from them till date. Without an admit letter how can i get a bank loan sanctioned for my MBA? Is it alright to upload these docs once they get back to me reagrding whether they have accepted me or not?

@AK10 said:
Hi Kelley MBA,I am Akshay and I am considering applying in R2 for the 2013 intake.Although my GMAt score of 640 is slightly on the lower side, I would have 3 years of work ex by fall 2013, GPA >3, Worked at Goldman Sachs for 18 months, and currently working in my family business. I have done my B com plus a 4 year PGDM in entrepreneurship and family business mgmt. What do you think my chances are wrt to the Kelly MBA? and do you think my GMAT score will really stand in my way even if all the other aspects of my application are strong?
Hey Akshay,

I assume you meant that you did 3 years B.Com and spent another year doing PGDM (as of now it seems you did a 3 year B.COM + 4 year PGDM = 7 years study).

Realistically, I won't want to discourage you but GMAT is on the lower side esp. for R2. Ideally, you would want your score to at least be equal to the average GMAT score of the current batch; this is true for any School you apply to considering the competitive pool we come from.

I won't say that you should not apply though. Please go ahead and apply!

Also, it's Kell'e'y and not Kelly. Thanks.
@aks16189 said:
@KelleyMBA I had my interview yesterday and I feel that I was able to express all the aspects of my personality very well. The interview touched almost all the relevant facets of my application and I felt at ease because my interviewer was really supportive. She also shared her experiences which made me even more excited about getting into the Kelley MBA program.The questions were:1. About myself2. Professional Experiences(the good, the bad and the ugly )3. Hobbies4. Leadership style5. Why MBA6. Why Kelleyand some more which came up from the answers I gave to the above ques... From my side, I am happy that I was able to talk about all the important things that I had in mind and I felt that the answers were received quite well by my interviewer.Now the fingers are crossed! Hoping for the best...The wait till Late December is killing me Please let me know what you think about this interview and I would also request the other members to share their experiences.Thanks for your advice and guidance,Ankit
It sounds right on track! Wish you good luck for the results.
@tdkr007 said:
Hey,The istart portal indicates that i have to upload financial documents. I have not receievd any interview call or admit letter from them till date. Without an admit letter how can i get a bank loan sanctioned for my MBA? Is it alright to upload these docs once they get back to me reagrding whether they have accepted me or not?
Yes tdkr007, you don't have to worry about the financial docs right now. Just shoot them an email and you should be good. Let me know if you are confused about whom to email.