Katz School of Business V/s Smeal college of Business

hi guys, I’ve been admitted to Katz(University of Pittsburgh) & Smeal(PennState) and am having trouble deciding between the two. I’d appreciate any comments you might have :: University of Pittsburgh-Katz: + ROI + Great relationsh…

hi guys,

I've been admitted to Katz(University of Pittsburgh) & Smeal(PennState) and am having trouble deciding between the two. I'd appreciate any comments you might have

University of Pittsburgh-Katz:
+ ROI
+ Great relationship with Deloitte(it recruits internationals every year)
+ Tagged to be good for consulting which happens to be my post-MBA goal.
+ Location : Heart of Pittsburgh
-- Lower ranking
-- Right next to CMU that generaly attracts more companies and at times eats up Katz placements.

Penn State University-Smeal:

+ Great resources and chances of getting a GA that covers full tuition are prevalent- I dont hold one currently :)
+ Lots of Tech Companies recruiting international students
+ Seems like an up and coming school
- Location ( its like a small university town 3 hrs away from philly)
- Primarily known for SCM and Operations, contrary to my career interest of Consulting.

My gut feel and research suggest that Smeal is a better option...but I would love to hear from you all.Looking forward to your responses guys !

Many thanks in anticipation
Varun

My 2 cents I would go for Smeal. Its got good placements better than Katz and GA stuff is grt. Consulting also it has good scope as per the prev forum for smeal 2008 i guess.

aragon@ora Says
    My 2 cents I would go for Smeal. Its got good placements better than Katz and GA stuff is grt. Consulting also it has good scope as per the prev forum for smeal 2008 i guess.

hey srikanth,

how u doing mate >

thanks on the opinion mate !! so how is illinios turning out ?

Al d best man !
    Varun

hey srikanth,

how u doing mate >

thanks on the opinion mate !! so how is illinios turning out ?

Al d best man !
      Varun

Hey Varun,

Krannert placed me on W/L so I am off to Illinois. So you are decided on Smeal ?

Thanks,
      Srikanth
      Hey Varun,

Krannert placed me on W/L so I am off to Illinois. So you are decided on Smeal ?

Thanks,
      Srikanth

No dude,

Still thinking where to go...

btw..even I got a WL from Krannert.Any chances of us converting it

atb!
      Varun
      No dude,

Still thinking where to go...

btw..even I got a WL from Krannert.Any chances of us converting it

atb!
      Varun

Lemme tell u varun.. Krannert will not tell untill May end as per the adcom I spoke with and even if it does then by that time you would have paid the deposit at either of the schools. If waitlisted I am not sure how much schol you would get, but anyways if you are ready to forfeit the deposit paid then you can wait I am not sure of the conv ration in 2009 but in 2008 it is 1/4th ppl wait listed got converted. I am not too hopeful about that as many of the indians have been wait listed this year
      aragon@ora Says
      Lemme tell u varun.. Krannert will not tell untill May end as per the adcom I spoke with and even if it does then by that time you would have paid the deposit at either of the schools. If waitlisted I am not sure how much schol you would get, but anyways if you are ready to forfeit the deposit paid then you can wait I am not sure of the conv ration in 2009 but in 2008 it is 1/4th ppl wait listed got converted. I am not too hopeful about that as many of the indians have been wait listed this year

True Srikanth,

I'm not to positive either..have already paid my deposit in katz and now deciding on Smeal. Krannert's a laid back school, but even if you get an admit, the GAs and tuition waivers is ought to substantially reduce your tuition. So the HOPE refuses to die out. Practically Krannert's outta my list

But no worries...Both of us will be rich by 2012

Hey,

I would rate Smeal better than Katz, but as you mentioned Katz has other advantages..

Hey,

I would rate Smeal better than Katz, but as you mentioned Katz has other advantages..

hey there,

Would request you to elaborate on ur reasons please

Thanks
      Varun
      True Srikanth,

I'm not to positive either..have already paid my deposit in katz and now deciding on Smeal. Krannert's a laid back school, but even if you get an admit, the GAs and tuition waivers is ought to substantially reduce your tuition. So the HOPE refuses to die out. Practically Krannert's outta my list

But no worries...Both of us will be rich by 2012

Yo Bro rich
      hey there,

Would request you to elaborate on ur reasons please

Thanks
      Varun

Hey Dude,

For more reasons go through these links:

Business school rankings and MBA rankings from the Financial Times
      Business school rankings and MBA rankings from the Financial Times

You can see certain parameters suiting your aspiration.

As per the latest US News rankings. Smeal is at 48 while Katz is at 79.

Would request you all to comment please..

Cheers:cheers:
      Varun

As per the latest US News rankings. Smeal is at 48 while Katz is at 79.

Would request you all to comment please..

Cheers:cheers:
      Varun

Hi,
      You are comparing GLOBAL MBA with EMBA.
      KATZ(GMBA) with Smeal(EMBA).
      Depends on what kind of goal and leverages you have.
      In my view GMBA is always better than EMBA.

Rest you need to take a call..
      Hi,
      You are comparing GLOBAL MBA with EMBA.
      KATZ(GMBA) with Smeal(EMBA).
      Depends on what kind of goal and leverages you have.
      In my view GMBA is always better than EMBA.

Rest you need to take a call..

Hey there,

no buddy
      I'm comparing full-time MBA programs only.
      katz:-

University of Pittsburgh (Katz) - Best Business Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report
      smeal:-

Pennsylvania State University--University Park (Smeal) - Best Business Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Would request you to opine please.

Regards
      Varun

Hi Varun,

I believe its too late to reply to this thread, I have been following your posts.
      IMHO go for Smeal, one of my college senior is in CMU, and no point for guessing his response for Katz. So Katz V/s Smeal is smeal all the way, as i see it. Your only concerns might be 1) Location 2) Consulting firms.

Suppose if XYZ firm is comming to Katz to recruit, the same firm (in my opinion) will also open doors for you, should you apply to them, because the Smeal Brand name is >>>>>> Katz Brand name. so the recuiter at XYZ firm will be aware of that fact. and to think of it, post Smeal MBA you might end up in a good position viz a via a Katz MBA. mostly the good positions will tend to be open for CMU grads, which is across the road. that wont be the case for Smeal.

Hi Varun,

I believe its too late to reply to this thread, I have been following your posts.
      IMHO go for Smeal, one of my college senior is in CMU, and no point for guessing his response for Katz. So Katz V/s Smeal is smeal all the way, as i see it. Your only concerns might be 1) Location 2) Consulting firms.

Suppose if XYZ firm is comming to Katz to recruit, the same firm (in my opinion) will also open doors for you, should you apply to them, because the Smeal Brand name is >>>>>> Katz Brand name. so the recuiter at XYZ firm will be aware of that fact. and to think of it, post Smeal MBA you might end up in a good position viz a via a Katz MBA. mostly the good positions will tend to be open for CMU grads, which is across the road. that wont be the case for Smeal.

Hey there,

Well I appreciate your stance mate. Thanks a ton for bringing out the key differences. I have made a choice : Its Smeal 😃

thanks again for the response.

cheers
      Varun
      😃 congrats for smeal bro.

the key difference is however not the location, but the quality of education that Smeal delivers viz a viz Katz and hence the difference in brand value.

ATB!
      Ayon