K.J.SOMAIYA GD/PI Experiences[2012-14]

Hi everyone, On the eve of the interviews, I know that people would be hell lot busy preparing for the final showdown. Therefore I take this opportunity to start off the thread which would be religiously visited by us in the next few days. AL…

Hi everyone,

On the eve of the interviews, I know that people would be hell lot busy preparing for the final showdown. Therefore I take this opportunity to start off the thread which would be religiously visited by us in the next few days. ALL THE BEST puys.

Please follow the following format while posting

This interview is for the course:

CAT percentile:
Interview Centre:

Educational Profile
X:
XII:
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age:
Any other professional certification or course undertaken:

Work profile (if applicable)
Number of years: Sector/Industry:

Anything special about you:

Written Assessment test:

Regarding GD
GD Topic:
Number of participants:
Duration:
Brief snapshot of discussion:

PI Questions:

Any other Info:

Verdict:(can be edited later)

Please keep the thread clean.
You can subscibe to this thread by clicking on the top right hand corner(Thread tools)
ATB to all

Interviews did take place today but ppl r lazy enough to share their experiences. kal interview hai yaaron... koi to batao kya hua??

Still waiting for some1 to post their experience.. I have my gdpi tomo!!

napa Says
still waiting for some1 to post their experience.. I have my gdpi tomo!!

all the best brother!!
rishabh47 Says
all the best brother!!

thanks bro!! ATB to u too πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

CAT percentile: 92.5
Interview Centre: Kolkata

Educational Profile
X: 82.2
XII: 78.6
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 86.9
Any other professional certification or course undertaken: no

Number of years: Sector/Industry: 17 months, IT sector

Written Assessment test:

We were given 2 topics of which we needed to select one.
I do not remember the exact words of the topics given but it was somewhat like:
1> Poverty in India is due to lack of initiatives by indivisual or due to lack of initiatives by the Government
2> Politicians are business minded.

Regarding GD
GD Topic: It was a case study of creating a fake facebook account by the manager to spy on his employees- is it ethical or not? The employee is a star performer and took a leave of 4 days giving the reason of his sick mother but instead went to Goa to attend his friends bachelor party and has uploaded the photos of Goa. The manager found it out through the fake facebook account. What should the manager do now??

Number of participants: 16
Duration: 90 sec for every indivisual to speak and then 10 minutes for open discussion. They randomly called out the number and asked to give his/her viewpoint.

Brief snapshot of discussion: The GD turned out into a fish market as everyone was speaking together. It was only in the first 90 secs where I was able to put my point clearly.

PI Questions:
Tell us something about your work profile?
Some work ex related questions
Where do you see yourself 10 years down the line?
How would you rate yourself in GK on the scale of 0-5?
Which news paper do you read?
Who is the owner of the newspaper?
Some technical questions like what is the difference between led and lcd?
Why finance?
Name any subject of finance?
Any questions do you have?

There was other panel where they were asking business related questions like about the CEOs.

ATB

For all those who are waiting eagerly for first hand GD/PI experience... :P
Hello puys, here goes my Somaiya GD/PI experience.
Profile:
Xth: 81.25
XIIth: 80.5
Btech: 7.83 DGPA
Work-ex: 24 months in IT
CAT: 90.14 %ile

Venue: Bangalore
Slot: 9 AM

Reached the venue after 35 kms of riding in the refreshing bengaluru morning πŸ˜ƒ The registration process started on time sharp. We were told our respective group numbers. Then we were shown a short film on the college.
After this began the essay. Two topics were given and we had to select any one and express our views in around 300 words in 15 mins. The topics were
1. Globalization is killing local enterpreneurship
2. FB, Twitter, Orkut have changed our social and professional behavior.
The choice was obvious ;)

Then we were sent to diff rooms according to the groups for GD. A caselet on railway accidents at unmanned level crossing and deaths due to falling from overcrowded coaches was given to read for 2 minutes. Then the panel picked people randomly (they will ask everyone) to express his/her view on it for a minute. Then the GD was open for discussion for around 15 mins. The GD was pretty good. Everyone spoke. I made 3-4 entries. At times it was bit loud but again things went normal. At times 2-3 people were speaking simultaneously :P
Then 2 minutes were given for summarizing the caselet.

Next was PI. I was the first to enter.
Two people on the panel. (different from GD)I will name them P1 and P2.
Me: Wished them good mrng.
They asked for the Somaiya form and work ex certis.
P2: Tell me the five sentences about u!! :O
ME: Recollected what I have written in the form and told. (Guys, be thorough with wht u've written in the form else u'd be stumped)
P2: Strengths
ME: told
P2: Tell me abt ur job
ME: gave every detail of it.
P1: what's ur last degree?
ME: Told(WTH..Its there in the form!)
P1: Whats ur major?
ME: again told
P1: why MBA
ME: told my prepared answer ;)
P1: So u r in IT. So why exactly do u feel that only by doing MBA, u'd achieve what u want.
P1: NO..u can achieve the same by working here and gaining the experience. GIve me a str8forward answer. Dont beat around the bush.
ME: (again WTH. I was beating the drums rather :P)explained to him
P1: what specialization r u looking for
ME: Finance. (cudnt justify much :'( bt told that once i get into the prog i will take an informed decision)
P1: Where do u want to see urself 5 yrs down d line not keeping in mind u get a seat here in Somaiya
ME: Gyan-ed him :P
P2: Describe urself in i word
ME: told. (Its a technology name πŸ˜› he seemed impressed!!)
P2: how much do u wanna earn 5 or 10 yrs afterwards
P2: Who is ur competitor
ME: MYSELF (he seemed impressed again!)
P1 and P2: Well, thank u Arin. Do u wanna ask anything?
ME: No sir..thanked them and left the room.

Overall, the process was smooth. I was done in 2 and a half hours. The entire process was explained clearly. Now wait for the results starts!!

ATB puys!!

For all those who are waiting eagerly for first hand GD/PI experience... :P
Hello puys, here goes my Somaiya GD/PI experience.
Profile:
Xth: 81.25
XIIth: 80.5
Btech: 7.83 DGPA
Work-ex: 24 months in IT
CAT: 90.14 %ile

Venue: Bangalore
Slot: 9 AM

ATB puys!!

Thanks bro xD
I have mine tomorrow so this helped πŸ˜ƒ

thnx for sharing... πŸ˜ƒ

abhiEnigma007 Says
thnx for sharing... :)

MAN....U could have used thanks button instead of quoting such a long post and saying thanks.
Thanks bro xD
I have mine tomorrow so this helped :)

abhiEnigma007 Says
thnx for sharing... :)

cyrussster6789 Says
MAN....U could have used thanks button instead of quoting such a long post and saying thanks.

Friends,please use Thanks button for thanking and avoid chit chatting over here. this is exclusively created for sharing GDPI experiences.

For other queries you can PM the user or post it here
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2012-14simsr-aka-kj-somaiya-pgdm-pgdmib-gd-pi-call-getters-discussion-thread-25078500

Hi all... I had my GD/PI today morning
Here goes my Somaiya GD/PI experience
Profile:
Xth: 91.2
XIIth: 79.8
Btech: 7.93 DGPA
Work-ex: 40 months in IT
CAT: 81 %ile :banghead::banghead:

Venue: Kolkata
Slot: 9 AM Had to reach by 8am

First we were asked to show our identity cards. After that, we were shown a video about KJ Som and told about the courses and placements.

After this began the essay. Two topics were given and we had to select any one and express our views in a sheet in 15 mins. The topics were
1. Would Retail industry wipe out our neighbourhood small shops.
2. Should mobile and Internet be used for voting in elections.

I chose the 2nd one and wrote against the topic giving points what negative effects it would have.

Then we were sent to diff rooms according to the groups for GD. A caselet was given on facts about how India is still struggling to excel in various fields such as movies, economy and culture and questions were posed as to 'Has India yet arrived?' which means can India be said to have achieved what it had to in current scenario. We were 9 in a group. All were given 2min to read the case after which we were selected randomly to express our views for 2min(like an extempore). After all had spoken, the GD was open for discussion for 20min. At last we were asked to conclude which 3-4 of us did. Overall our group did well, all got a chance to put forward their points though we had deviated from the topic at times.

Then our profile form was collected.

Next was PI. I was No. 7.
Spent the time chatting with other folks in my group which helped me remain alive in the heat
PI lasted for avg 10-15min for each. My panel was very calm and good :)

Two people were in the panel. (different from GD)I will name them P1(a sweet lady) and P2(an elderly gentleman but calm and good).
Me: Wished them good afternun (I entered the room post 12 :biggrin:)
P2: Tell us about yourself?
ME: blah blah...
P1: Why MBA?
ME: Told all Gyaan
P2: Why Finance (I had applied for it and shown my interest)
ME: put forth my interest in it
P1: Do you read books?
ME: Not exactly but I have read a few.
P1: which is the last book you have read?
ME: Told
P1: What 3 things you liked about the book? any critical comment?
ME: again told... gyaaaan :biggrin: :biggrin:
P1: asked me about a govt policy and is it fine.
ME: I gave my insights and views why and how it is not fine.
P2: How was your GD? How would you rank yourself in the group of 9?
ME: told it was good and contributed many points.
P2: What is your long term goal and how would our course benefit you?
ME: blah blah gyaaaaaaaaaan :biggrin: :biggrin:
P1: any other calls?
ME: Told
P1 and P2: Thank you!
ME: Thanks πŸ˜ƒ
Overall, the process was smooth. I was done in 3 and a half hours. The entire process was explained clearly.

Now the WAIT game begins....
ATB puys!! πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

So here goes my interview experience for SIMSR(PGDM,PGDM(IB))

CAT percentile:94.76
Interview Centre:Kolkata(1:30pm)

Educational Profile
X:84.5
XII:81.4
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 77.7
Any other professional certification or course undertaken:

Work profile (if applicable) :nono:
Number of years: Sector/Industry::nono:

Anything special about you:NGO experience,some extra curriculars

So i reached my centre around 12:15 pm.The centre was easy to locate as it was one of the renowned Kolkata college.A professor(probably) ushered me into this dilapidated classroom(bhutiya tha wo room!!!!).Met some people out there and slowly in about half an hour the entire room filled up.
Then we were taken to a nice conference room(yaha to AC lagaa tha:))
Then the normal procedure of registration was followed.We were also shown a video about the institute in which some students and faculty talked about how good SIMSR is(One of the founder members in the video seemed to read down something in front of him,it was a little funny).Then there was the written assessment test.

Written Assessment test:Two topics were given and we had to write on any one.(time given was 15 minutes and only one page was provided)
1)mobile has changed the banking services.(i chose this one)
2)creativity can not be taught in classrooms.

Then we were devided into groups and directed to our respective rooms for the GD.
Regarding GD:
GD Topic: Some case study about India moving on from an agriculture based economy to service based economy to a manufacturing economy to....??what should be really done and such stuff....(pura to yaad nai...achha lamba chautha tha)
Number of participants: 12
Brief snapshot of discussion:First there was some initial comments from the moderator,then we were given the case.Each person had to speak individually for about 1.5 mins on the topic(randomly) and then the house was open for discussion.
NOTE:Our panel was the best as they continuously stopped the fish market situations and warned students to let everyone speak.(The other groups were mostly fish markets).So people don't try to over dominate,SIMSR panellists have been told to cut marks for people wo do just that.:nono:
All in all my performance was good.Brought in the budget(which luckily no one had mentioned,mentioned increase in service tax,excise duty,subsidy on food and fertilizer etc.).There was a guy from CA background.Man he had a lot to speak and mostly when he spoke every one else was like
Also a girl din't speak at all,while all others chipped in also
then the long wait(i was 10th in my group).But i had a good time while waiting.There were some good people in my group(No. 4,anyone here??)
So there was this old man(OM) and a uninterested lady(UL) in this panel

PI Questions:
OM:hello
Me:hello sir and madam.And goodevening to both of you.
OM:Goodevening..So why MBA ??
Me:gyaan,funda(saare interviews me to yahi bola hai,ab to majak lagta hai ye question)
Om:So you are doing a B.sc course?
Me:No sir ,mine is an integrated course(its a 5 year course)
OM:Oh ok,which subject?
me :Chemistry,sir
OM:Ohh chemistry(jaise maine koi paap kar diya ho)Then why not a phd.You will have some great options after that.
me:No sir,i have set up my aim in my life(had mentioned in Why MVA question) and i believe that an MBA would help me in achieving that AIM.
OM:If u had set up that aim then why did u join a masters course in science,why not a BBA or something similar
(I thought,sir kyuki achha college mil raha tha aur BBA mostly log tab karte hai jab koi option nai rehta)
Me:Sir i liked science and got a great opportunity to join XYZ and further my development.Also sir ,my time in XYZ has far transcnded the theoretical knowledge that i have received.I have grown a lot as a person and have learned a lot.
(All the while the lady was sitting there like a robot,yawning and yawning.I don't even know why she was sitting there??)
OM:So u think you would not have grown in an BBA course?Or does it mean that you always change your aims in life?
Me::shocked::shocked::splat:
Sir,i have never had anything against a BBA course but it was about what i liked and even now i am doing what i think is the best for me.
OM:ok(looking at my form now)Your hobby is travelling.Where have u travelled?
Me:Sir,(mentioned lot of places)
OM:(scratching his head)Everywhere but not mumbai??
Me:(gaya to hu ek baar,but pagal hu jo bataunga)no sir,i have not been to mumbai :(
OM:So your strengths are bla bla.Hmm(me thinking,bhai pooch bhi le ki maine aisa likha kyu??:sneaky:)And your weaknesses are that you sometimes try to make almost everyone happy.So are u a pshychopath?
Me:
No sir.that is an entirely different thing ,my problem is that...
OM:cutting me...(laughing).Hmmmm...anyway....are u confortable with GK
Me:(thnking:Nai Sir,Please chod do ab)Sir,i can give it a try.
OM:Ok,what's the name of the residence of the british prime minister??
Me:Sir,it's not coming up in my mind:splat:(ameica ka nai pooch sakte the??Well i knew it,but just couldn't recolect)
OM:there was a very famous movie about a lady british Prime Minister.Did you watch that?About margaret thatcher?
Me:Yes Sir,i have heard about it.But have not watched it.
OM:Entire world has watched it.Why have you not watched?(laughing)So who was the heroine in the movie?
Me:(maine to nahi dekha,ye log bade movie khor lagte hai)Sir meryl streep.
OM:ok good.Have u heard about the UN?/
Me :(eagerly)Yes sir.
OM:and u must know the first woman president of UN general assembly??Miss vijaylaksmi pandit?
Me:Yes sir.I have heard about it(No,i din't know much though)
OM:who was her brother.
Me:sir,i don't know but can only take a guess.
OM:No,don't take a guess.It's ok.
Me:(thnking)
OM:Ok,thank you .
Me:thank you Sir and madam :)

All in all a pathetic interview but a good GD.

Any other Info:Just think before you speak anything and do not over dominate the Gd's.Also nothing other then a ID and a student profile form was required.i dunno why they asked for a attested copies(:nono::nono:)

Verdict:PI will sure shot ruin it.

Hi All,
Here goes my experience:-
CAT percentile:80.29
Interview Centre:Kolkata(9 am)

Educational Profile
X:79.33
XII:75.5
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 83.5

Number of years: Sector/Industry:- 3+ years in TCS as Oracle Apps DBA

First of all we were asked to show our ID cards (pan card/ driving licence/voter's card/passport).
Then they showed a short video of K.J Somaiya.
After this we were given 2 topics for essay writing:- (15 mins time)
1. Would Retail industry wipe out our neighbourhood small shops.
2. Should mobile and Internet be used for voting in elections.
Thereafter we were divided into groups and were asked to head for rooms where we had our GD. It was a case based. Topic :- "Has India Arrived?" .......GD was good .....total 9 people in my goup....a bit fish market and moderator did intervene once but it was under control as everyone of us were talking in favour of the topic.....Yea one thing...before the GD started we were asked to speak on the topic for 2 mins....Kind of extempore....Candidates were selected in random order and I was the first one to be picked up.....After the GD was over we were asked to wait for the PI...This time a new panelist came....P1 (female) and P2 (Male)...both were pretty old and looked really serious.....The PI was lasting for 5-15 mins for everyone.....People who went before me were fired wid questions from mathematics like state Jacobians Rule..What is integartion?....Rules and theorems of integration.......These questions were asked by P2...
My turn came:-
P1 :- Describe yourself in 2 sentence
Me:- Said
P1:- So you have work ex in TCS for 3 years....Which Technology?
Me :- Mam, its Oracle Applications.
P1 :- Smiled (mereko lag gaya ki ab meri khair nahi)....Started asking me about job role...what is distributed database and what is central database.....what work I have done so far...
Me:- Said whatever I knew..I politely said sorry for the questions which I didn't know....
P1:- You have applied for marketing? So why Marketing?
Me :- Told
P1:- Don't beat around the bush.....Tell me the why Marketing and not anything else...
Me:- Told again a bit more whatever I learnt on the different forums...seemed to be a bit satisfied....
P2:- Since you are not good with numbers so I'll ask you general questions...Tell me ....to have a good economic growth what is needed ...More Consumption or More Saving?
Me:- Told....(P2 Seemed to be a lil bit satisfied)
P2:- Why is RBI increasing intrest Rates?
Me :- to check inflation
P2:- How?
Me:- Told (P2 Satisfied)
P1:- Thanks...Is there anything you want to ask us
Me:- Asked about the dual degree program

P.S :- none of the marksheets were submitted.....is this the case everywhere???...they just asked us to submit our profile forms when we had completed our gd...I even asked the panelists 2 check my marksheets...but they said that the profile form is all that they need...they trust their students!!.....

thanx fr the shares

@unrealheart4mba-
During the 2 min extempore,we have to address the GD members or the Panel.
Please explain about it in detail.

Thanks all for sharing you Experiences.
How much time is given for writing Essay ? and what is the word limit for the same ?

@unrealheart4mba-

I think you are talking about the gd.Well no instructions were given about whom you have to address.But it would be better if you could address it to your group members.As it shows that you are more concerned about the group rather then the marks that you are going to receive.

Thanks all for sharing you Experiences.
How much time is given for writing Essay ? and what is the word limit for the same ?

Time given is 15 minutes and no word limit is mentioned.However you are given only one page(front and back),so cant write more then that
@unrealheart4mba-

The extempore is basically the introduction or your view point of the GD case being given to you, and we were strictly instructed that we should always face the group and not the panel members