K.J Somaiya 2008-2010 GD/PI experience

To all fellow puys, The GD/PI process of K J Somaiya Institute of Management studies & Research started today in Bangalore. The process had following steps: 1. Written Communication Test 2. Psychometric Test 3. Group discussion cum e…

To all fellow puys,
The GD/PI process of K J Somaiya Institute of Management studies & Research started today in Bangalore.
The process had following steps:
1. Written Communication Test
2. Psychometric Test
3. Group discussion cum extempore
4. Personal Interview.

Puys who are done with their interviews, please post your experiences here as it will help others.
p.s will post my experience shortly.

I had my GD/PI today at 1:30 pm. Reached the centre at 1 pm. a few interviews were still going on from the morning batch. at 1:20 pm we were ushered into a room for registration. there we had to show our CAT admit card and CAT score card along with the Student profile sheet. A small presentation was given about the institute after which the procedure started.

1 Written Communication Test
two topics were given. we had to select one and write an essay of about 300 words in 15 minutes. The topics given to afternoon batch were:
1. Should the disposal of judicial cases time-bound?
or
2. Are historical movies trivialising Indian history?
chose the first topic and wrote about 250 words..was told that importance would be given to grammar and spellings, so made sure there were no spelling mistakes.
Also found out the topics given in morning batch
1. Do rich nations respect environment?
2. How can small retailers compete with organised sector?
2 Psychometric Test
This was perhaps the most easiest of the stages. a sheet was given with around 45 questions to assess our personality. 5 options were given like never, seldom, occaisionaly, sometimes, everytime.

Time Limit: 10 minutes

remember there are no right or wrong answers.

3 Group Discussion
At this stage the candidates were divided into seven batches. my batch had 11 people including me. 9 males and 2 females. All the batches were asked to go to separate gd rooms. went to my gd room. the panel included 1 male and 1 female faculty along with 1 alumni. got the most dissadvantageous seat in gd. it was an U-type seating arrangement.
3 ------11
4 ------10
5 ------9
- 6 7 8-
I was at number 9.
The panelists told us that we will be given a caselet. thinking time of 2 minutes and then all of us will have to speak on it individually for 1.5 minutes each after which the discussion will start.
Caselet:
Heena is 15 yr old girl studying in class X. she has been constantly studying for her board exams. she sleeps only for 6 hours a day.she goes to many tuitons. she is a good student.
She is scared of her 2nd language Hindi. she finds the poetry hard to understand, specially dohas by kabir nd poems by mirabai as spoken hindi is quite different from wat is given in these poems.
She also finds hindi difficult as there are many ways it is spoken. mumbai hindi is different from lucknow hindi which is different from hyderabadi hindi all of which are different from wat is thought in schools.
her exams include oral component and written component
How should grading be done? what steps should be taken by teacher to promote interest? why students who find difficult to learn hindi often find it easier to learn foreign language like frnch or german?
after this every1 started speaking individually. some 1 spoke about differnce between hindi medium schools and english medium schools. one person even spoke that tamil should be compulsory:tellme:
i was at number 9 so had a lot of time to think about the caselet. spoke about the difference in wat is thought in schools and how hindi is spoken in the real world. made a point of the relevance. spoke on how english is also suffering from same fate nowadays. spoke about the regional influence on how hindi is spoken. spoke about french and german and how the way they are spoken and thought are similar.
gd started after this...made about 3-4 points on how it should be thought in schools.
with 2 minutes remaining we were asked to conclude. a lady in our group started concluding but was interrupted and discussion started again..tried to steer the group back towards the conclusion but to no avail..fianlly we were told that its time.
4 Personal Interview
was the 9th person in my group..all intervies lasted for about 5-7 minutes. went in and greeted the panelists. 2 senior faculty members. askd to sit.
asked to give student profile sheet and work experience letter. ( submitted)
excerpts from the interview:
p1: are you related to brij mohan lall munjal?
me: no..we share the same last name..thats all. and it is a good thing as i have my own identity.
p1: aha? ok tell me something about yourself. (in the meantime p2 walks out of the room)
me: talk about myself
p1: ok tell me something about ur hobbies?
me: cooking, formula 1 and solving sudoku.
p1: why cooking?
me: for me its stress reliever
p1: my hobby is cleaning...it doesn't involve any brain activity.
me: every1 has their own reason to select their hobbies.
p1: formula 1? wat are the activities that take place in pit lane? (p2 comes back)
me: explains
p1: how long is a pit stop?
me: depends on the conditions of track, driver's position in race..and other thing's such as safety car etc...but genarally its between 6 to 8 seconds.
p1: no its 12 seconds..
me: very rarely.
p1: wat is tyre temperature?
me: don't know the exact temperature as it will depend on braking, track conditions etc...but it's quite hot.. in excess of 150degree C.
p1: michael schumacher won a race and made a comment wat is that ?
me: he won over 50 races...which one are you talking about?
p1: (gives the statement)
p2: why finance?
me: answers
p2: how are room tarriffs set? ( i m from hotel managemnt bckground)
me: city, location, clientele..competiton, service provided etc.
p2: cost?
me: yes sir
p2: collections scenario in india? ( now working in collections)
me: answers
p2: tell me about your work profile?
me answers...blah...blah
p1: thank u...you may go now...send nxt person in.
me: thank you sir.
overall it was quite ok for my first call...the ball's in their court now

Hey dude..today no one even bothered to collect our certificates:wow:..not even in the interview was i asked for my certificates.

It happens...

Hi puys,

I had my SIMSR GDPI on 23rd Feb in Bangalore, morning 0900 slot.
Overall the experience was very good and i am highly optimistic.
I was in bangalore for 2 days and so was unable to post due to non-avialability of net.

If any1 has ne queries bout the process, can post them to this forum.

Will post my GDPI experience soon...

till then CHILL.

Hello fellow puys

Had GDPI on 23rd feb 0900 batch at PESIT, Bang.

The process consists of :
1. Essay writing.
2. Psychometric Test.
3. Case Study Discussion.
4. Personal Interview.

Reached PESIT before hand at 0830, as they had asked.
Nice college btw with nice crowd.
I saw many familiar faces of ppl i have met earlier at GLIM or IMI.
Total candidates present - whooping 84 !!!!
7-9 faculty members were there from SIMSR, with 1 alumni.

1st step - successful registration. Here u need to produce ur personal form.

2nd step - some prsentation on SIMSR and then queries asked to their faculty.

3rd step - 2 topics are given and every1 has to write an essay on any1. timelimit given was 15 mins and wordlimit was 300 words.
Topics to choose from :
a.) Are big countries are responsible for environmental degradation ?
b.) Should Indian retail focus on big players ? how to handle the small players in business ?
These are not the exact topics but the theme was pretty similar to what i have written.

4th step - Psychometric test. This involved 46 odd questions about ur personality traits and moral values.
Depending upon how u would relate yourself to the questions there were 5 choices to answer from, ranging in the extent of similarity.
time limit given - 15 mins

5th step - Case Study discussion.
all of us were divided into groups of 12 according to our SIMSR form nos. the panel consisted of 3 ppl - 1 faculty from SIMSR, and 2 other i thnk were from the college itself or could be current students.

Case given to us involved the scenario of present day india were average age of a person is increasing every year. Nowadays old ppl are not focussed upon by their children and have to live their later phase of life in sorrow and grief. Non-appropriate financial structure alongwith ignorance from the younger generation has made the situation very pathetic. What steps should government take to improve a situation like this.
'IS OLD AGE A CURSE ?'

discussion started off with a 1.5 min intro monologue from every1 present in the group. here every1 put fwd their original thoughts about the case.

this was followed by 12 minutes of discussion, which was living dangerously on the border of being a fish market. I put forward my points with authority and had to be a bit rude at one point of time.:bad-word:
every1 kept discussing bout the financial aspects of old age living. I had to bring in the social and the ethical aspects as well. overall the discussion was not healthy as not many valid points were made and we were made to stop straightaway after 12 mins vthout any1 summarising. only 4-5 of us were participating :sleepy:. but i was personally satisfied vth my efforts as i could get the airtime 3 times and gave my points with loads of authority. lets hope for the best.

6th step - Personal interview.
the panel changes for PI from the 1 which took GD. 1st we need to submit out personal form alongwith the work experience certificates, if any.
my panel consisted of 2 profs - P1 (was very relaxed all the time and also friendly) & P2 (was being tough on me the entire interview).

P1 - goodmorning Aditya.
Me - goodmorning sirs !!

P1 - so u are a technical guy... in which specializtion u did ur BE
Me - told them bout engineering and also that now i am in IT, working vth satyam.

P2 - you are earning a handsome salary in satyam, then why MBA ?
Me - was prepared for this and answered confidently.

P2 - y not go for executive mba then ?
Me - tried explaining the differences but was cut short by an interruption from P1.

P1 (interrupting my answer in the middle) - Which domain and technology are u into satyam ?
Me - Banking and mainframes.

P2 - so u have plans to go to australia ? (was referring to the onsite oppurtunities, with my client being from australia)
Me - successfully explained on y i liked India and didnt wanna go if given an option. but if company demands, will go ahead.

P1 (again cuting me short) :x- which movies have u seen recently ?
Me - English - Rambo, Hindi - Taare Zameen Par.

P1 - compare the 2 movies and also the message conveyed through them, if any.
Me - ;-)gave an in-depth desc of the two. stressed on emotional effect of TZP and the message about violence in burma of Rambo. (talking about movies is the best thing i can do.) :smile:

P1 (smiling) - did u go to TZP alone or vth parents ?
Me - "went alone but made a request to my parents to watch it ASAP. they liked it alot."

P2 - U have mentioned reading as ur hobby. which is the latest book u have read ?
Me - Alchemist by Paul Coelho (i know i am late in reading this, but it was really the latest i had read)

P2 - wats special bout the book and whats the message conveyed ?
Me - told bout following dreams etc. compared the book with other self-help books.

P2 - but the book is hypothetical and cannot be implemented in real life ?
Me - agreed to some extent and then had a small discussion with P2 of the level upto which we can make things happen.:argue:

P2 - (ques out of nowhere) Don't u think the salaries being paid to IT guys is very exorbitant and they dont deserve it ?
Me - disagreed and tried to explain how the high salaries are justified. used terms like work pressure, competition, delivery time etc.;-)

P2 - so u mean to say a nuclear scientist in BARC handles far less pressure than an IT engineer ? (nuclear guy earns 20k and IT earns 25k, according to P2).
Me - "both handle different pressure in different situations, but then the experience comes into picture. IT professionals are young college graduates new to organisation world. BARC scientists have loads of experience behind them. also their responsibilites differ alot."

P2 & P1 both nodded their heads in agreement to my answer and finally P2 smiled (phewww !!!).:biggrin:

P2 - you can ask a question from us if u want.
Me - asked a question in a relaxed manner.

P1 gave back with an answer and after finishing the answer smiled at me and told me the interview is over. i was asked to leave and to call the next guy in.

My interview went on for 18-20 mins. they tried to make it tough but somehow i managed to duck their blows.... somehow :shocked:

Hope this comes in handy to others who have GDPI at later stage.

ATB to all call getters...:bigups:

THanks.....Does K J always conduct Case study?? or there are chances of Gd without case as well...

Hello fellow puys

Had GDPI on 23rd feb 0900 batch at PESIT, Bang.

The process consists of :
1. Essay writing.
2. Psychometric Test.
3. Case Study Discussion.
4. Personal Interview.

Reached PESIT before hand at 0830, as they had asked.
Nice college btw with nice crowd.
I saw many familiar faces of ppl i have met earlier at GLIM or IMI.
Total candidates present - whooping 84 !!!!
7-9 faculty members were there from SIMSR, with 1 alumni.

1st step - successful registration. Here u need to produce ur personal form.

2nd step - some prsentation on SIMSR and then queries asked to their faculty.

3rd step - 2 topics are given and every1 has to write an essay on any1. timelimit given was 15 mins and wordlimit was 300 words.
Topics to choose from :
a.) Are big countries are responsible for environmental degradation ?
b.) Should Indian retail focus on big players ? how to handle the small players in business ?
These are not the exact topics but the theme was pretty similar to what i have written.

4th step - Psychometric test. This involved 46 odd questions about ur personality traits and moral values.
Depending upon how u would relate yourself to the questions there were 5 choices to answer from, ranging in the extent of similarity.
time limit given - 15 mins

5th step - Case Study discussion.
all of us were divided into groups of 12 according to our SIMSR form nos. the panel consisted of 3 ppl - 1 faculty from SIMSR, and 2 other i thnk were from the college itself or could be current students.

Case given to us involved the scenario of present day india were average age of a person is increasing every year. Nowadays old ppl are not focussed upon by their children and have to live their later phase of life in sorrow and grief. Non-appropriate financial structure alongwith ignorance from the younger generation has made the situation very pathetic. What steps should government take to improve a situation like this.
'IS OLD AGE A CURSE ?'

discussion started off with a 1.5 min intro monologue from every1 present in the group. here every1 put fwd their original thoughts about the case.

this was followed by 12 minutes of discussion, which was living dangerously on the border of being a fish market. I put forward my points with authority and had to be a bit rude at one point of time.:bad-word:
every1 kept discussing bout the financial aspects of old age living. I had to bring in the social and the ethical aspects as well. overall the discussion was not healthy as not many valid points were made and we were made to stop straightaway after 12 mins vthout any1 summarising. only 4-5 of us were participating :sleepy:. but i was personally satisfied vth my efforts as i could get the airtime 3 times and gave my points with loads of authority. lets hope for the best.

6th step - Personal interview.
the panel changes for PI from the 1 which took GD. 1st we need to submit out personal form alongwith the work experience certificates, if any.
my panel consisted of 2 profs - P1 (was very relaxed all the time and also friendly) & P2 (was being tough on me the entire interview).

P1 - goodmorning Aditya.
Me - goodmorning sirs !!

P1 - so u are a technical guy... in which specializtion u did ur BE
Me - told them bout engineering and also that now i am in IT, working vth satyam.

P2 - you are earning a handsome salary in satyam, then why MBA ?
Me - was prepared for this and answered confidently.

P2 - y not go for executive mba then ?
Me - tried explaining the differences but was cut short by an interruption from P1.

P1 (interrupting my answer in the middle) - Which domain and technology are u into satyam ?
Me - Banking and mainframes.

P2 - so u have plans to go to australia ? (was referring to the onsite oppurtunities, with my client being from australia)
Me - successfully explained on y i liked India and didnt wanna go if given an option. but if company demands, will go ahead.

P1 (again cuting me short) :x- which movies have u seen recently ?
Me - English - Rambo, Hindi - Taare Zameen Par.

P1 - compare the 2 movies and also the message conveyed through them, if any.
Me - ;-)gave an in-depth desc of the two. stressed on emotional effect of TZP and the message about violence in burma of Rambo. (talking about movies is the best thing i can do.) :smile:

P1 (smiling) - did u go to TZP alone or vth parents ?
Me - "went alone but made a request to my parents to watch it ASAP. they liked it alot."

P2 - U have mentioned reading as ur hobby. which is the latest book u have read ?
Me - Alchemist by Paul Coelho (i know i am late in reading this, but it was really the latest i had read)

P2 - wats special bout the book and whats the message conveyed ?
Me - told bout following dreams etc. compared the book with other self-help books.

P2 - but the book is hypothetical and cannot be implemented in real life ?
Me - agreed to some extent and then had a small discussion with P2 of the level upto which we can make things happen.:argue:

P2 - (ques out of nowhere) Don't u think the salaries being paid to IT guys is very exorbitant and they dont deserve it ?
Me - disagreed and tried to explain how the high salaries are justified. used terms like work pressure, competition, delivery time etc.;-)

P2 - so u mean to say a nuclear scientist in BARC handles far less pressure than an IT engineer ? (nuclear guy earns 20k and IT earns 25k, according to P2).
Me - "both handle different pressure in different situations, but then the experience comes into picture. IT professionals are young college graduates new to organisation world. BARC scientists have loads of experience behind them. also their responsibilites differ alot."

P2 & P1 both nodded their heads in agreement to my answer and finally P2 smiled (phewww !!!).:biggrin:

P2 - you can ask a question from us if u want.
Me - asked a question in a relaxed manner.

P1 gave back with an answer and after finishing the answer smiled at me and told me the interview is over. i was asked to leave and to call the next guy in.

My interview went on for 18-20 mins. they tried to make it tough but somehow i managed to duck their blows.... somehow :shocked:

Hope this comes in handy to others who have GDPI at later stage.

ATB to all call getters...:bigups:
Bootstrap Says
THanks.....Does K J always conduct Case study?? or there are chances of Gd without case as well...

well i have appeared for SIMSR twice.
once in 2006 and one now. both the times it was case study only.
this is 4m my personal experience.

maybe seniors can throw better light on this.

Hi PUYS,
Me too had my GD/PI on 23rd 9.00 am batch, but was out of town after the interview. sorry for the late posting, but hope something here will be useful.

As many of the fellow puys pointed out, it had a registration process first up, where we had to present the SIMSR form along with the original CAT Admit Card and CAT Score Card. (there were a few people who had not taken the print out of the SIMSR form and some who had not got their CAT score cards yet.. But the faculty who had came over were nice, and they handled it in a great manner. SIMSR form was provided to those who had not taken the print out and they were asked to fill it up before their PI's... Those who have not got the CAT Score Card, pls take the web print out and carry that with you..). After the registration process was done with, we had a small presentation about KJS, after which there was a q/a session, where we had ask specific qns on the Insti's courses, research lines, and so on..
Now the stuff began,.. We had a Written Communication test, duration of which was 15 mins. The topics were
1. Are Rich countries more to be blamed for Environmental Degradation..??
OR
2. Retail :(do not remember the exact topic but it was something on these lines - Large organized players v/s small players in Indian Retail Sector..)

you had to write about the chosen topic in less than 300 words.. (NOTE THAT YOU WON'T BE GIVEN ADDITIONAL SHEETS, SO PLEASE TAKE CARE..)
You are required to give them a coherent piece of writing, with no grammar and spelling errors...

Following this, we had the psychometry test, which was also for 15 mins.. My advice on this is to be true on this.. don't try to think too much over the qns.. Be impulsive in answering this..

Once the test(s) were done with, we were split into groups of 12 each, and divided into 7 Groups. Each Group were directed to a different room, where our GD/PI was to be conducted. In the room, the tables were arranged in a U pattern, with the judges/panelists sitting facing all of us.. The topic was a case study, Is OLD AGE A TIME TO BE CAREFREE or a BURDEN (again, i do not remember the exact wordings, but the topic was on this line). The case let consisted of a small write up on the topic, and we were supposed to give introductory thoughts on the TOPIC for 1.5 mins and then start off..

Our GD was good, in that, everyone gave different views on the topic, (thou all were for, and hence the Fish Market situation was avoided...), and then everyone had spoken for 2-3 times.. and the judges were also happy that everyone participated, and there was no real mess.. when ever 2 ppl started to talk, one of them gave it up, so that he can take it up later.. So, in that sense, it was too good..

After the GD, we had the PI in the same room. We had a 2 member panel, and i was the first as per the list..

Questions were in the following format..

P: Introduce yourself..
Me : this is a general question, and was prepared for it..

P: You are a techie, so tell me what is Phishing in general terms..
Me : thou i was not a s/w guy, but in h/w, you are expected to know it, and i had my reply..

P: So what can you, as a common man, do to avoid this security concern on the internet transactions..??
Me : again, what you think can be done..

P: Now, you are from kerala. Tell me why Kerala is not able to attract so many investments like its neighboring states..??
Me : now, this was tricky. coz they knew a bit about kerala and had an idea about the situations there. so had to state the facts here.. and the examples i had cited of a few firms, which had first targeted kerala but later switched to TN, really helped..

P: Tell me something about the kind of work you do..
Me : spoke about the domain i am in, and the kind of work i do and such stuffs...

P: so what do you do as extra currics in your company..??
Me : again, the company initiatives.. blah blah..

P: so why do you want to do an MBA, after being a techie..
Me : again, the regular qn, why MBA, why this field.. i tried to put my goal, and why i chose operations, and how it will be good for me in the long run. The panel was happy..

P: so do you read...??
Me : occasionally,but i have been into Paulo Coelho's books off late. The Alchemist was what got me attracted, and then i've gone thru a few more of his books, The Devil and Miss Prym and his latest, The witch of portobello...

P: do you read buisness news papers.??
Me : no.. i prefer to read materials from the news sites on the net, so that i can pick and choose things of my interests.. moreover, most news papers have news related to stocks and I am not into stock markets, and i am not really clear on what happens there..

P: so if the stock market slows down, do you think it will affect you.??
Me : i do not think so.. coz i've not invested in stocks, neither is my company listed.

P: smiles.. exchanges looks with each other and said, thanks.. you may leave..
Me : thank you sir and mam..
left the room..

Later i came to know that people who had opted for finance had questions on Stocks and Shares more extensively.. Also, some people also said that they felt like they were trying to stress you with certain questions..

Hope this helps ..

Bootstrap Says

yes....

but please try and not quote such long posts in future just for thanking them (its an absolute eye sore)... thats why the thanks button is there....

hi puys,

i had my intvw on [email protected] batch..
reached well before the time so had to wait in campus of PESIT. at arnd 1pm we were called for ppt of KJ Som. We got some important info regarding the coll from there but the presentation members were not well-equipped to answer all our queries(!)
anyway after that registration was done. only our CAT admit, score card n KJSom form was viewed here. Sign in attnedance sheet.
Then the Essay writing started between topics:
(i) Historical movies trivialising Indian history
(ii) Judiciary system should be made time-bound
One has to write in about 300 words in 15mins
This was followed by a Psychometric test (45 qstns/10mins). 5 answers to each qstns.
Then we wr divided into 7 grps. I was GD No 5.
There were 73 persons present in our 1.30 pm batch
The GD was a case study of Heena (class X girl) havings probs in getting good marks in Hindi (mother tongue). So exams should be formal or grade-baed? Y ppl score mor in foreign langs rather than native langs? How can teachers help the study of lang to be more attractive to students?

Case Study began with individual feedback of the case for 2mins and then 18mins of total discussion. It turned into a fish market soon and panels stopped it after abt 10-12mins. We got out n saw other grps are also cuming out at same times approx.

We had to then wait for PI in the same room. After some wait I was called. 2 different panelists wr there.
Started off by asking me to produce original of work ex n xerox of it. then that KJSom form.
Asked about my company details, my work profile details. Followed by specialisation. I have marked as Finance..so why finance? Who is your role -model? Told them abt Warren Buffet...What thing of Buffet attracts u? What points do you consider while picking up stocks?..(seemed impressed coz in the end said 'good')
Lastly, do u want o ask anything abt us? I enquired abt NeN and MDP.

So there ended my process....

Hi puys,

Sorry to being with for a delayed post.MY interview was on 23.02.08 1.30P.m
PES,Bangalore.

I was in the same slot as "srikutmunjal" was and all the process from 1 to 4 was a replica of the same(copy paste the same ).BUt my GD group was different from his.

GD:

Coming to GD the case study again was the same for all the batches and we were gien 1.5 Mins for a monologue on the same.Then the discussion started and unluckily it turned to a "MEAT MARKET" and the group was dismissed in 10-12 Mins.

The main reason for the same being two ppl had an ego issue on their points and none of were allowed to speak further and the entire scenario reflected a poor listening skill.

I was still lucky to AIR my issues three times and was satisfied.Instead of summarizing the GD I like to give the following inputs for a better performance.

1.Everyone including me believe that a person who starts the discussion and the person who speaks the most has an advantage.But this is absolutely wrong as the emphasis is on the "CONTENT AND NOT THE DURATION".The three times I aired my view was in minutes and I made some inputs which made sense.But two people had an unnecessary quarrel on a irrelevant topic.

2.If you are one of those person with a soft voice and is not possible to speak "AT LEAST LISTEN CAREFULLY TO THE DISCUSSION",This reflects your listening skills and you may get your due.What happened in my group was around five people were reclining on the seats and were not speaking till the end.

3.People pl note that there were two moderators one made a note of the content and the second was monitoring the group.i was keenly observing him and he was making a sharp note of the peoples who not even bothered to speak,

4.The main reason for stating the above is that I truly believe that ppl who could not speak had a very good insight of the topic.Trust me I spoke to few such person who gave beautiful points that no one thought of?

Personal Interview:

I usually adopt a question and answer pattern but that will not benefit here.The reason for the same was almost 99% of it was purely job oriented (I am in sales for the pat two years and mt co is selling high end consumer durables).Luckily the person was having a very good knowledge of our products and was questioning on the same.I was able to address all his queries and the usual questions like "Why MBA/ambition?"

Again I like to highlight some points here which will be really useful.

5.For people who have chosen a different domain from their current profile pl be prepared with a concrete answer.(For eg: I met around seven ppl who were from software and wanted to an MBA in finance).Pl consider it as the most important question of the process.

6.Secondly,I observed that they had around seven parameters from which they questions were fired.For each an every reply you give they allot a mark(Do not be intimidated it just their process for the PI has the highest weight age)

I believe that the idea of KJ Som is to allow the candidates to speak as much as they want and extract the details from you.This is a Bit different from other interviews which follows a strict Question and ans basis.

Be focussed on the three Cs Content,Confidence,Cool

To the agony of other members my PI lasted for 35-40Mins(Sorry GUys.Mein kya kharo?)

The entire interview was pleasant .For from the previous threads I could derive that the main questions one could get were from their native place and the WHos who there?Like a IAS interview i was preparing about theCM/FM/governor and the cabinet ministers:smilecol:.BUt nothing was asked to anybody.

This made me laugh at the end of the interview(If ppl do not get changed in the cabinet I will use it for BIM)

Finally good day/good PI/Good colorful campus with divas(Beware of those dangeros curves - I mean the turns in the college are steep;-)/and the end of the day to be celebrated with the "KING OF GOOD TIMES FOR THE ROYAL CHALLENGE I HAVE FACED"

Hope this was of some help and any queries pl post the same I will help u

ATB to all the PUYS

If i convert the call I will report this in this very same post and request other PUYS to do the same as it will give a good insight for the others.

Dear Aspirants,

As I always do I am posting the result of this GDPI.As on 13.04.08 I have been waitlisted will be knowing the status only on 28.04.08 kmfc>

Since most of the candidates have already given a very good account, I will keep it short and simple.

I had the KJS Interview on the 23rd at PESIT, Bangalore.

First the registration. Then a short film followed about SIMSR. Then came the essay. 15 minutes. There was a choice of two topics.

1. Rich countries are responsible for environmental degradation.
2. How can small shop owners survive the rich retailing MNCs ? (Dont remember exactly !)

Then Psychometric test followed. 45 questions. 5 levels of approval. 10 minutes.

Then came the Case Study. 12 members. 2 in the panel. Topic : Is old age a curse or a time to be carefree ?

It was a Pseudo - GD. Because the case was not a an example of so-and-so in such-and-such condition, rather a generic problem of old age and its afteraffects. The panel member warned that preventing other from talking would result in -ve marks. After general discussion, we were given 1.5 minutes to summarize individually, although I felt it was actually not more than 30 seconds.

Interview panel was different than that of the GD. 2 in number. Basically asked questions form the proforma sheet.
Questions:
1. Tell me something about yourself.
2. Since you graduated from a pvt college, did you take up the IIT entrances ?
3. Why did you not make it through the IIT Screening ?
4. What does that(not qualifying for the IIT Main entrance) prove ?
5. Now that you look back at passing out of a pvt engineering college, do you regret it ?
6. What have you missed out in graduating from a pvt college ?
7. About my job profile.
8. My interaction with foreign colleagues, since I was involved a lot with them.
9. Differences in foreign colleagues and Indian colleagues.
10. Suppose you are the project manager and you have a delivery deadline tomorrow to go live and you have a foreign client. You haven't finished testing the product fully. What do you do ?
11. What is more important - Efficiency or Effectiveness ? Why ?
12. Asked why did I opt for that particular specialization ?
13. What do I read ? Said TOI. Asked whether I had read today's edition. Said No. Yesterday's ? Said Yes.
14. Asked to summarize any article on the frontpage, business or the sports page.

Thats all I can remember now. Interview lasted 20 minutes. Remember to sort out all the documents that you give them beforehand. They were a little haphazard in collecting the documents, as in they did not ask for specific documents, they took whatever you gave them.

All the best !

hi puys,

i had my intvw on [email protected] batch..
reached well before the time so had to wait in campus of PESIT. at arnd 1pm we were called for ppt of KJ Som. We got some important info regarding the coll from there but the presentation members were not well-equipped to answer all our queries(!)
anyway after that registration was done. only our CAT admit, score card n KJSom form was viewed here. Sign in attnedance sheet.
Then the Essay writing started between topics:
(i) Historical movies trivialising Indian history
(ii) Judiciary system should be made time-bound
One has to write in about 300 words in 15mins
This was followed by a Psychometric test (45 qstns/10mins). 5 answers to each qstns.
Then we wr divided into 7 grps. I was GD No 5.
There were 73 persons present in our 1.30 pm batch
The GD was a case study of Heena (class X girl) havings probs in getting good marks in Hindi (mother tongue). So exams should be formal or grade-baed? Y ppl score mor in foreign langs rather than native langs? How can teachers help the study of lang to be more attractive to students?

Case Study began with individual feedback of the case for 2mins and then 18mins of total discussion. It turned into a fish market soon and panels stopped it after abt 10-12mins. We got out n saw other grps are also cuming out at same times approx.

We had to then wait for PI in the same room. After some wait I was called. 2 different panelists wr there.
Started off by asking me to produce original of work ex n xerox of it. then that KJSom form.
Asked about my company details, my work profile details. Followed by specialisation. I have marked as Finance..so why finance? Who is your role -model? Told them abt Warren Buffet...What thing of Buffet attracts u? What points do you consider while picking up stocks?..(seemed impressed coz in the end said 'good')
Lastly, do u want o ask anything abt us? I enquired abt NeN and MDP.

So there ended my process....

Hi,

What does NeN stand for? Hope MDP is - Management development program.
Hi,

What does NeN stand for? Hope MDP is - Management development program.

NEN : National Entrepreneur Network

Remember they spoke of it in the ppt?;-)

hi friends....

I had my interview at the PESIT campus in bangalore on Sunday,24 feb,9 am slot.The process was same as has been mentioned by my fellow puys.

I will just write my experiences in brief....

I reached the center at 8:30 and they had already started the Registration process...Saw many familiar faces from previous days IMi interview and some from MICAT;-)....
When i entered i found that they were just checking your CAT admit card,marks card and the personal information form....
they were in a cheery mood....
After that they showed us a brief clip about SIMSR....It was nice...
Then we were asked whether we had any questions...one guy asked some thing..dont remember....

Then we were given a blank sheet of paper and were asked to write almost 300 word essay in 15 min....
The topics were:-
1)Are the news channels raking up trivial issues.
2)The great indian economicc divide-What do you think can be done about it?(something like this!!!!!!!!)

Most of the people i asked said that they had written on the first topic,i chose the second one...and wrote it well(hopefully didn't make any grammatical error!!!!!!!!)

Then we had a pschometric test,abt 45 questions 10 min,be true to yourself and it will be fine(personal view:o:ofcourse try to be as close to positive aspects as possible!!!!!)

Then we were divided into 7 batches of almost 11 each.....i was in the first one...
Then we were asked to go to respective rooms which were assigned to us.....

There were 11 of us,one from previous days batch....Gd pattern was same as earlier days...
Our topic was "Should junk food companies(co-operates) be allowed to take social responsibilty"....

It was mentioned in the case about an initiative by Coca-Cola called ELIXSR to provide money for giving facilities to rural people etc...It was mentioned that although these corporates have time and again been found to flout rules like when it was found that coca-cola bottles had high level of pesticide content....It was said that these companies are using stars and such advertising to improve their image....
in the end,the question was that should they be allowed to take social responsiblity?

eveybody chipped in with points...i was 8 in line...so most of the points were covered by the time my chance came...so just repackaged the whole thing and added two or three points..At this time,saw that the moderators had ticked across certain names...i dont know why?!!!!!!
The discussion was healthy and almost all chipped in...only one guy was against it...weren't able to properly summarize...
won't explain the whole gd..it will become too long...

Then we were asked to wait outside...
one by one we were called for interview...the questions asked were general and most interviews finished in 5 minutes...Interview for 7 guys before me was over in 45 min!!!!!!!

mine latesd for around 8 to 10 minutes....only basic questions from the form were asked...

some questions which i remember are:-
1)why mba?
2)why finance?
3)why dont u want to join IAf?(my father's profession!!)
4)u said u have taken part in essay writing...tell me 3 sentences that come to your min if i say the word "TREE"...
5)some questions on where i have worked with underprivilaged?(written in the form..)
5)Why did u get so less marks in VTU university(ECE)?it is considered easy!!(i disaggreed ,gave some points to support my point)
6)about my work profile?

i dont remember anymore...some related questions....

just wanted to add that almost everybody i had a chat with was a fresher(most of them were from cognizant,chennai!!!!!!!!;-)) or with less than one year experience!!!!!!!
and they didnt ask for any documents either...

i dont know what are the chances....except gd which was average,rest of the process went of fine.....but i always have hope!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps....

all the best to others...

Hi Puys,

Any idea on the dates when the results will be out.I like to hear the one told by the institute as I have already posted my projected dates.

hi to all the puys,

GD/PI slot : 24th morning 9 am slot...PESIT, bangalore

P.S : all of you definitely carry your cat id card, cat admit card and student profile... also do carry attested copies of your mark sheets (becoz a friend of mine from the work ex batch was asked for it and those who didnt have it had to get it attested and submit it that day itself)

the person who checked my card and profile form mumbled something about me wearing specs and my photo not having it etc...:confused:

Anyways that was followed by a presentation on the college...

Written test :
Duration - 15 mins

Topics : 1) Are 24 hr news channels reporting trivial news

2) something about economic divide etc (didnt bother to look at it too much)

as soon as i saw the first topic i decided i would write on that...

P.S :
1) make sure you practice simply writing something a day before the gd/pi day...because my hand was hurting like anything and 15 mins will just fly by if your not quick enough

2)just spend 1 min or so to collect your thoughts as to what you are going to write....coz they specifically mentioned that they are looking for some logiv in the writing also....

3)be very careful of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes

Psychometric test :
just be your honest self and dont try to pull off any tricks here....

Group Discussion : we were split into batches of 11-12.... i was in the 4th batch...Panel of 2 members were observing us

the topic was the same thing as above about "should junk food companies be allowed to engage in corporate social responsibility"
P.S : try to make as many valid points and contribute to the gd... interrupting someone just for the heck of it and just to get airtime is not at all appreciated there. no need for any prior knowledge as such because all the facts you need would be in the given sheet itself.

Personal Interview :
the panel who sat for the interview were 2 other people (not the ones who sat for the gd)...It was basically like a stress interview but i had real fun attending it...

the panel consisted of a young guy(P1) and a middle aged madam(P2)

and then there was me (M)
ill give you puys the details of whatever i remember coz time just flew by for me in there....the interview must have been for 15 mins or more....i dunno...

P2 :So what is the relation between marketing and your engg background
M :gave the reason that i have some skills which seem to indicate that i should take this....blah blah blah....then even connected it to why mba after engg....blah blah blah

P1 : you say that your creative....give an eg to substantiate that
M : narrated an incident from college life...blah blah blah...

P2 : so you play football?..(i had mentioned one of my hobbies as football)
M : yes ma'am... i do
P1 : but you dont look like a footballer (my body is on the slightly heavier side you see...)
M :i said its just a hobby and that i just enjoy playing it.
P1 :so what are the qualities that you gained from the game of football
M :immediately said team chemistry (thanks to all the EA SPORTS - FIFA games i played)....said its a noisy game hence we cant talk a lot, we have to communicate thru our eyes etc...
P1 :ok lets say your a defender, your team mate is going to score a goal, you want to communicate to him, how will you do it???...:shocked:
M :sir, if thats the case then i would prefer that my team mate be focused on scoring a goal than waiting for a communication from me....
P2 : so you also cook?...(another hobbie of mine...im a major league foodie)
M : yes ma'am...said i mostly experiment with fast food...
P2 : so do you like to cook for your friends?
M : said its a pleasure for me to see other people enjoy my cooking...
P1 : so, will you cook for your friends in the hostel also
M : sir, nothing mainstream but ill definitely help wherever i can...
P2 : so lets say that your hostel has no mess, what initiative will you take to provide food for all the students from outside???
M : said that would depend on the type of people, whether vag/non veg etc
P2 :ok lets consider a totally veg hostel full of north indians :crazyeye:...and your a south indian :crazyeye::crazyeye:... and the management is gujju :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:...(the last comment took the cake)...what will you do???
M : said that regardless of northie or southie there some basic items like (roti, dal, rice) that are commonly consumed by all indians...will provide such things...

then there were many more q's but i forgot...these are the ones i remember coz i was enjoying it when they were cooking up situations...

P.S : only thing is mostly it will be a stress interview....keep your cool, answer in a chill manner...

ATB TO ALL THE PUYS...

Hi Puys,

Any idea on the dates when the results will be out.I like to hear the one told by the institute as I have already posted my projected dates.

the first guy in my batch who went for interview asked this question and they said within a month it would come out....