Job Scene in the US

:huh: Hi ppl Ive been interacting sid sme of my senior in da us/canada… wat i learnt that the job scene in the us is not all that rosy rite now…esp for foreigners …also most comapies do not pay fr the project/training… want a broade…

:huh: Hi ppl
Ive been interacting sid sme of my senior in da us/canada..
wat i learnt that the job scene in the us is not all that rosy rite now....esp for foreigners ..also most comapies do not pay fr the project/training....
want a broader view....:whatthat:

wat i learnt that the job scene in the us is not all that rosy rite now....esp for foreigners ..also most comapies do not pay fr the project/training....

u perform well ... get good grades ... nd learn much ... u dont hav any prob anywhr ... abt the rosy thing ... wellll ... coz v saw the rosy stuff during Y2K period ... cant expect tht all the time ... u get good jobs in usa ... good enuf tht u pay back ur fees in less than 2 years ... at max if ur univ is very expensive .... and in less than 3-5 yrs u can buy a gooooood house for ur folks back home ... not at all compromising in the quality of life u live during ur studies ... and those 5-7 years u work over here ...

abt the foreigners ... if they see tht the guy has enuf talent ... nd u can prove it by ur knowledge and smartness ... they dont mind sponsoring ur F1 ... nd all this is not at all tough ... its not just rosy though... and i feel its neither a rosy scenario back in india or anywhr ... u need to work hard in all the fields to get somethin special

-suchit

when u r talking abt jobs, u need to clarify jobs in which sector and what kind of job, now being present and future managers, we all must focus on executive level jobs to say the least.
now getting grades is not that tough but u need to built the overall personality and u need to have the knowledge b'coz its the knowledge that's gonna pay in the long run. as most of the people there are not that qualified, they are mostly dependent on foriegners for most of the talented work force. the only thing i m not sure is that they hire only there MBA's or Indian MBA's also, please let me know.

cheers

when u r talking abt jobs, u need to clarify jobs in which sector and what kind of job, now being present and future managers, we all must focus on executive level jobs to say the least.
now getting grades is not that tough but u need to built the overall personality and u need to have the knowledge b'coz its the knowledge that's gonna pay in the long run. as most of the people there are not that qualified, they are mostly dependent on foriegners for most of the talented work force. the only thing i m not sure is that they hire only there MBA's or Indian MBA's also, please let me know.

cheers

the scene is good in all sectors ... but its very very obvious tht u need to hav the knowledge nd personality ... u cant expect a good job w/o these anywhr ... my intention is to say tht certainly its not rosy ... but its not bad too ... u can get a good job ...

abt most of the ppl being not qualified .... wellll dude ... its not the case ... do u want to say most of the ppl in usa dont study ?? .... nd they hire foreigners nd specifically asians coz v guys r more dedicated nd hard working ... nd the knowledge a plus ... but the limitation is applied coz of the processing of H1 visa and stuff ...

-suchit

ya suchit nice to have strong opinions ...u seem to be very sure of the things..wud b gr8 i f u share the facts which make ya say so...
cheers!!!!!!!!1:)

This is an interesting thread as far as I am concerned. i am leaving for my MS this August to US. Thus if Suchit could share any experiences that makes him speak so confidently, it could be really helpful
As far as I can gather from my seniors and peers back in US is that job scenario is not that bad right now, but it also depends on the line u opt for. Here I am restricting myself to tech jobs.
And it is a very wrong notion tht folks in US dont study. The do need foreigners but not indispensibly. A country cannot be the most developed country in the world with hired muscles.

This is an interesting thread as far as I am concerned. i am leaving for my MS this August to US. Thus if Suchit could share any experiences that makes him speak so confidently, it could be really helpful
As far as I can gather from my seniors and peers back in US is that job scenario is not that bad right now, but it also depends on the line u opt for. Here I am restricting myself to tech jobs.
And it is a very wrong notion tht folks in US dont study. The do need foreigners but not indispensibly. A country cannot be the most developed country in the world with hired muscles.

ya suchit nice to have strong opinions ...u seem to be very sure of the things..wud b gr8 i f u share the facts which make ya say so...
cheers!!!!!!!!1:)

welll ... its been one year now ... i m a M.S. student in CS ... at USC, Los Angeles ... and hav a lot of frnds who hav graduated this year ... i know more than like 30-40 odd such ppl ... and so know the job scene ... i hav a few ppl in mgt too ... even they share the same experience ... pls dont keep the rosy thing in mind ....

for tech jobs ... i consider 55k starting salary is good enuf ... considering the living expense in USA ... if u not intending to live a lavish life ... u can do with max 1200-1300/mnth including car insurance(once u r working .. else its like avg 550 USD expense a month in LA ... nd its n expensive city) ... tht makes like 15-16k a year expense ... adding to tht ... u spend goin out ... twice a year trip ... shopping on sales nd all ... that ... make the max expense 22k-24k/yr .... of 55k ... u giv max tax of like 22%(calif ... most of the states hav lesser %) .... so thts like u get min 40k in hand ... and thts like saving min 16-18k/yr .... even with expensive school like USC ... i can pay bck my fees in 2 years ....

now if the school is low ranked and u wont get jobs so easily ... it would b cheaper too ... i hope ppl wont go to schools ranked low wiht not tht good placements ... and is also expensive ...!!! .... so in any case ... i feel once u hav made a kind of wise decision in selecting the school ... u can pay bck ur fees in 2yrs maxxxxxx .... also consider the pay rises u get ... its quite significant if u perform well .... so in 5 yrs fter graduation ... u wud hav enuf enuf money in ur account ....

abt tech ... my claims r limited to electrical nd electronics and cs fields but i m pretty sure frm wht i see over here ... tht its good overall ... abt mgt ... its just the general view i hav heard nd frm wht i hav read nd heard from school of mgt in my univ ... atleast wont claim anything ...

any specific ques ... pls PM me the ques nd ur email id ... i wud b glad to b of any help if i can ...

all the best to all aspirants ...

cheers
-suchit

there are always good jobs available for desesrving. ofcourse if the job scene is good it becomes easier to find a job to your liking.
the best way to deal with the situation is to look at the Schools u are applying to and check their placements, escpecially for International students.
that way you'd know what your chances of getting a decent placement from so and so schools are

hi thanks fo the info.

How important is ur ug technical knowledge in order to be good when u do MS.moreover heard that indian UG programme doesn't enrich u much. is that true??
i have done my ug in electrical and have nearly 15 national symposium papers and 2 IEEE international conference papers selection( thailand)( only selection as did not register fo the same ). So how good is my chance to get into a good college for VLSi and upto what rank can i look. moreover want to know as to what other courses have good need there. will my papers which are in electic machines and control be of any help for the above course.

i will take my gre by year end or next year after joining job. please suggest assuming i score 1200 or 1300 in same

please reply
:grab:

believe me ... having papers in ur name ...helps a lot ... tht makes the impression tht u always had a gr8 interest in the field of urs ... nd did not do ur ug just for the sake of it ... the ug-grades for tht matter ... well it depends on the univ ... but wiht quite a few papers in ur name ... grades wont b the center of attraction ... plus if u can get a good recomendation letter frm some of the proffs involved in the field of ur research (papers for tht sense) ... u set to get into a damn good univ ... make it atleast 3 of top 15 ....!!!

before u apply just make sure of the % acceptance rate of the college ... like texas austin has a very low percentage rate ... nd lower for intl students ... nd usc has a high %-rate ... but both being damn good schools ... usc being private school ... doesnt hav much restriction on ppl they admit ... just n e.g. ... nd the gre ... welll quant matters... go above 770 nd no worry ... for verbal skills ... welll with good toefl ... they wont see much of verbal ... but yah anythin above 500 is safe .... but most of the schools dont mind anythin >= 400

first thing to do ... research on individual schools ... www.gradschools.com cud help ... in case u havnt done it

all the best ... cheers
-suchit

hi thanks fo the info.

How important is ur ug technical knowledge in order to be good when u do MS.moreover heard that indian UG programme doesn't enrich u much. is that true??
i have done my ug in electrical and have nearly 15 national symposium papers and 2 IEEE international conference papers selection( thailand)( only selection as did not register fo the same ). So how good is my chance to get into a good college for VLSi and upto what rank can i look. moreover want to know as to what other courses have good need there. will my papers which are in electic machines and control be of any help for the above course.

i will take my gre by year end or next year after joining job. please suggest assuming i score 1200 or 1300 in same

please reply
:grab:

hi suchit. thanks a lot. ur info was really useful. never knew abt the factor of % acceptance as in important criteria.

bye 😃