JMET OBC Candidates - Polls & Discussions

Starting the thread on user request. Cheers and best of luck! Rohit

Hi ,
1) What are the chances for OBC candidate for AIR 1310 in IITD

2) For IITD

In application form OBC is not a category
Is this a printing mistake or its not there in IIT D ?
"Category: GEN/SC/ST/PH _______"

And what will be draft amount for OBC candidates. ?
In form its written
"Details of Demand Draft (Rs. 1000/- for general and for Rs. 500/- SC/ST/PH candidates) for IIT Delhi MBA Programme"

Thanks
Shweta

For OBC quota people...

I myself have a got a rank of 2335(OBC)...was xpectin 68 to 70 according to various keys.

I did a bit of research...

In IITJEE 08 exam last yr,my brother got AIR 3427 with OBC rank as 446
His friend got AIR 6966 with OBC rank 673...

So a difference of about 3500 AIR has difference of 230 odd OBC ranks..
that makes it about 23 obc people in between 350 people...

Going by this rule there will be about 23*7= 161 OBC people before me...so i will have a catagory rank of around 160-170

Also,more people appear for IITJEE as compared to JMET...so it may come down...so my rank will lie in range of 120 - 150.

Atlast we got to have an idea of no. of seats reserved for OBC(whether 9% or 18%).Also we have to know in what ratio they give calls...

Can anybody pls help me with no of seats at each IIT...so that I wl come out with more clr predictions...

wat is ur expected score

For OBC quota people...

I myself have a got a rank of 2335(OBC)...was xpectin 68 to 70 according to various keys.

Going by this rule there will be about 23*7= 161 OBC people before me...so i will have a catagory rank of around 160-170

Also,more people appear for IITJEE as compared to JMET...so it may come down...so my rank will lie in range of 120 - 150.

Atlast we got to have an idea of no. of seats reserved for OBC(whether 9% or 18%).Also we have to know in what ratio they give calls...

Can anybody pls help me with no of seats at each IIT...so that I wl come out with more clr predictions...

This year, the percentage of reservation for OBC students in IITs is going to be 17 - 18%.

As far as I know IIT B has 90 seats. Among these seats 18% would be 15 seats approximately. So, IIT B could give calls upto 75 OBC students, assuming an 1:5 conversion ratio. There could be a similar trend in all other IITs. Therefore, if there are 90 - 100 seats reserved for OBCs(altogether 12-15 per IIT), around 350 OBC candidates could receive calls, assuming that, there are multiple calls to some candidates.

These are my ideas. Thanks for your datas and go ahead with your predictions now.
For OBC quota people...

Appreciate your initiative !!

IIT Bombay - 60 seats
IIT Delhi -

MBA (Full Time) with Focus on Management Systems (60 seats)
MBA (Full-Time) with Focus on Telecommunication Systems Management (15 seats)

IIT Kharagpur (VGSOM) - 120

THis is all I could find. Not sure about the other IITs. It should be in the range 60 -100.
I remember reading somewhere that IISc has stopped the MBA course from this year. Not sure about it though.

Wish that you will be able to come up with a good prediction.
For OBC quota people...

Dude full quota is being implemented in IITs this year. So 18%....
Hi All,
Application form has been updated by IIT Delhi. Please visit the link mentioned in my signature. New form takes care of all apprehensions related to previous form like mention of OBC category etc.
Those who have already downlaoded the form, are requested to download the updated form.

OBC cutoffs might not really deviate much frm the GEN cutoffs, unlike the SC-ST cutoffs.

Even if you see for last year each IIT implemented 9% OBC quota without even calling new students. WHich means out of a batch of 60, they already had about 5-6 OBC students.

This time around too, about 10-12% OBCs would have got calls from each college even if OBC quota were not there.

I dont want to demoralise anybody but just be a little realistic about our chances so that none of us is dissapointed.

According to me, IITB would call 75 OBCs for the 15 seats.
Out if this around 25-35 OBCs would have a rank of less than 350, and the cutoff rank may be around 600-700

IITB------700
IITD------800
VGSOM---1200
IITM/K ---1700
IITR------2500

This is the RANK where I expect the last OBC guy to be called !!!

Someone Please upload the link for downloading all the 6 application forms

I belong to OBC new creamy layer according to new rule by Goverment.
But i have marked GEN in JMET form while applying.

What should i do for it?
because we have not received information regarding this like we got in CAT n IIFT.

Can i mention category OBC in MBA admission form for IITs? and send form.

Please reply..........

OBC cutoffs might not really deviate much frm the GEN cutoffs, unlike the SC-ST cutoffs.

Even if you see for last year each IIT implemented 9% OBC quota without even calling new students. WHich means out of a batch of 60, they already had about 5-6 OBC students.

This time around too, about 10-12% OBCs would have got calls from each college even if OBC quota were not there.

I dont want to demoralise anybody but just be a little realistic about our chances so that none of us is dissapointed.

According to me, IITB would call 75 OBCs for the 15 seats.
Out if this around 25-35 OBCs would have a rank of less than 350, and the cutoff rank may be around 600-700

IITB------700
IITD------800
VGSOM---1200
IITM/K ---1700
IITR------2500

This is the RANK where I expect the last OBC guy to be called !!!

Gaurav, great data. I perfectly agree with you and i would say the cutoffs would be something around this give or take 50 ranks for each insti.

May be the picture becomes clearer if we can get more people from OBC get to come and post and poll on this thread.

For this we need advertising atleast on the two threads
1) obc students planning to take cat in cat related forum on PG
2) jmet -2009 official results out.

If we can get more people voting here, each of us would be more clear of our respective positions.
For OBC quota people...

Going by the above rule and considering 18% OBC quota with calls given in ratio of 1:5
i have reached these figures

iitb 900-1100
iitd 1000-1300
iitkgp 2000-2300
iitk/m 2800-3200
iitr 3200-3600

lets also wait for the rank card to come,it may indicate OBC rank
If someday has some different approach towards it,please share...my analysis is completely based on last year IITJEE which had 9% reservation for OBCs
Going by the above rule and considering 18% OBC quota with calls given in ratio of 1:5

iitb 900-1100
iitd 1000-1300
iitkgp 2000-2300
iitk/m 2800-3200
iitr 3200-3600

If someday has some different approach towards it,please share...my analysis is completely based on last year IITJEE which had 9% reservation for OBCs

I completely appreciate your analysis and would be happy if its this way.
In any case am out of race with my 2200 rank.

I am not trying to be pessimistic but i why you calculating ranks on the basis of difference.

i would say if someone has 3427 GE and 447 OBC rank.

Means there is one OBC student for 7 general ranks.

Now i think there would be 96 seats in IITB this year.
for 18% OBC quota, the number of seats would be 17.

Now assuming IIT's call with a ratio of 1:6 for each seat, as per my calculations
Cut off for IITB = 7*17*6= 714 ( makes up for the general cut off rank )

And if you really want to compare with IIT ranks, follow the article
14% on IIT-JEE merit list are OBCs

even going by the conclusions here we would end up at lower numbers.
So i would say your predictions seem to be a little higher to me.
You may be right but its just that i dont understand how you came up with those numbers.
I completely appreciate your analysis and would be happy if its this way.
In any case am out of race with my 2200 rank.

I am not trying to be pessimistic but i why you calculating ranks on the basis of difference.

i would say if someone has 3427 GE and 447 OBC rank.

Means there is one OBC student for 7 general ranks.

Now i think there would be 96 seats in IITB this year.
for 18% OBC quota, the number of seats would be 17.

Now assuming IIT's call with a ratio of 1:6 for each seat, as per my calculations
Cut off for IITB = 7*17*6= 714 ( makes up for the general cut off rank )

And if you really want to compare with IIT ranks, follow the article
14% on IIT-JEE merit list are OBCs

even going by the conclusions here we would end up at lower numbers.
So i would say your predictions seem to be a little higher to me.
You may be right but its just that i dont understand how you came up with those numbers.

I have taken the factor of less deserving people appearing for JMET than for IITJEE...so cutoffs for iitb and iitd goes a bit higher...another factor being people with lower ranks will not apply for iitk/m/r with me being one of those...
deedhnd Says
I have taken the factor of less deserving people appearing for JMET than for IITJEE...so cutoffs for iitb and iitd goes a bit higher...another factor being people with lower ranks will not apply for iitk/m/r with me being one of those...

But this thing is applicable to everyone. Its even applicable to the GE category students. So how does that change the relative calculations.

What should i do for it?
because we have not received information regarding this like we got in CAT n IIFT.

Please reply..........

Dude,
had I been in your case i would have applied to all the IIts based on my rank (also based on my OBC rank based on poll and discussions) but you should be allowed in OBC category...Go ahead..fortune favours the brave...

iitb 900-1100
iitd 1000-1300
iitkgp 2000-2300
iitk/m 2800-3200
iitr 3200-3600

Good analysis but over optimistic....
According to you the top 70 odd OBC guys would apply to IITB and D. Thats fine. But the sudden spike in cutoff of KGP makes one suspicious.
You are assuming that most people who apply to B and D wont apply to Kgp and a fresh league of students would apply to KGP, which I dont agree with.

So Even if B cutoffs are around 1000, Kgp cutoffs wont cross 1500, and K and M would come around 2000!!!

What should i do for it?

My rank 1620(GEN)
but i have to apply category as OBC

tell me which IIts should i apply and what are my chances??

Please reply..........
What should i do for it?
My rank 1620(GEN)
but i have to apply category as OBC
tell me which IIts should i apply and what are my chances??
Please reply..........

I think u have a chance in all except B and D.

Do mention OBC in ur application form.... U wont face any problem, dont worry. ATB