JBIMS - Placements-2005

The executive placements at JBIMS saw more than 100 companies registering for the process, wherein the companies made a total of 149 offers to the 107-strong batch. Although the remaining companies had to leave empty-handed from campus, it only re…

The executive placements at JBIMS saw more than 100 companies registering for the process, wherein the companies made a total of 149 offers to the 107-strong batch. Although the remaining companies had to leave empty-handed from campus, it only reinforced the quality of the students at JBIMS, strengthening the relationships with them rather than severing them. As compared to last year the average offers per student rose from 1.25 to 1.41.

Being a freshers campus, the average Indian salary offered was 7.04 lacs, an upswing from 6.82 lacs offered last year. The highest salary was 9.35 lacs whereas the entry level package was 4.0 lacs. The Batch placed on Day 1 syndrome repeated itself, however the defining element of Placements05 was that all the students received desired job profiles in their preferred sectors.

In congruence with students preferences, the Banks and FIs were the largest recruiters, forming 42 % of the total accepted offers. These included the likes of Citibank, Standard Chartered Bank, SBI Caps, Avendus Investment Banking, Kotak Mahindra Bank, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, CARE, CRISIL, UTI Bank, IDBI Bank, Morgan Stanley AS, HDFC and Development Credit Bank. This was followed by the IT sector, absorbing 20 % of the batch, with IBM, Infosys, HCL Tech, Polaris Software, Satyam and TCS being the major recruiters. Placements05 also saw the FMCG regulars like Hindustan Lever Limited, Colgate Palmolive, Britannia, Coke, Gillette, ITC, Marico, Dabur and Godrej Consumer Products Limited, making both marketing and commercial offers. However, the highlight of Placements05 was the Consulting Sector, wherein McKinsey & Co., Accenture, Tata Strategic Management Group, KPMG, Nova-Serra Technologies and Kale Consultants visited the campus.

The highest no. of accepted offers were made by Kotak Mahindra Bank (10) followed by ICICI Bank (8 ) Infosys (7) and UTI Bank (4). Standard Chartered Bank, IBM, Polaris and Maruti recruited 3 students each whereas Accenture and TSMG recruited 2 each. The companies that came for the first time or revisited the campus were Accenture Consulting, Avendus, Coca-Cola, Novartis, IBM Global Services, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Max New York Life, Godrej and Titan.

In all, 15 Pre-Placement Offers were made on campus which includes companies like Colgate Palmolive, Gillette, ITC, Britannia, Marico, Castrol, UTI and Kale Consultants. The no. of lateral offers was 9, an increase from 5 last year

i heard that iift had better placements than u guyz(avg7.28 lakhs)....is iift that good

wow man Jamil.....JBIMS placements are awesome as always. Hope I get into it this year. As for someone's query....IIFT may be having good placements , but its only restricted to foreign trade & IB and the companies recruting frm IIFT are also from that sector only , whereas placements in JBIMS are in all branches of management and hence i dont think there is any comparison in their placements or whether one is better than the other. Though i would give JB some extra points than iift.

catfever Says
i heard that iift had better placements than u guyz(avg7.28 lakhs)....is iift that good

Hi Catfever

Well i dont know what answer do u expect

But still here are some of the points

1) Dont just compare placements of institutes by the average salary figures .......I guess IIFT and JBIMS are colleges in two different leagues and are therefore bound to have difference in placements IIFT being in Foriegn Trade area have companies like Backes & Strauss, Kuok Oil and Grains which atleast i never heard of before
On the other hand JBIMS is more known as a Banking and FMCG campus, just look at the names in these sectors that visited JBIMS and compare them to the corresponding ones that visited IIFT u will see the difference

2) Also we didnt have any foriegn placements this year so the average is of all domestic offers, IIFT had foriegn placements also ....so does that 7.28 figure includes that also : ? If yes then the average domestic will definitely be much less than our 7.04

3) Also the batch size makes a difference in averages, I dont know whats the batch size of IIFT, if its less then i think they will have an advantage in this area

4) The trend this year in JBIMS was that ppl were more interested in Job profiles and not salaries which resulted in us having 42% placements in Banking & FI whilst just
20% in IT which is very different than all the other colleges
An interesting thing which happened in JB was that the last person to be placed got a salary which ended up being higher than the average, which shows that ppl not necessarily looking at salaries and the companies were not called in the order of the salary that they were paying.

Anyways its upto u how u interpret and compare these figures with other colleges I just wanted to let u'all know what happened at Bajaj

Regards,
Jamil

Hi Jamil,

Nice to know bot the placements at Bajaj but i guess this thread is appropriate for the General Discussions(B Schooler's thread)...

I request the MODs to move this thread...
creates less of a confusion.

Hey Jamilz.........rockin placements at JBIMS man......JBIMS normally has one of the best placements accross any campus..........and you guys have proven it this year too......fundoo

I had a coupla friends id met in gurgaon during their summers.........Romil Parab and Swapnil......any idea where they got placed???

congrats again guys......awesome placements!!!
luv
bingo

Hey Jamilz.........rockin placements at JBIMS man......JBIMS normally has one of the best placements accross any campus..........and you guys have proven it this year too......fundoo

I had a coupla friends id met in gurgaon during their summers.........Romil Parab and Swapnil......any idea where they got placed???

congrats again guys......awesome placements!!!
luv
bingo

Hi Bingo

Thanks for the compliments

Well Swpanil Shah got a PPO from Gillette
whereas Romil Parab got into ICICI Bank

I guess MDI will have its placements soon .....Best of Luck ......and i hope u ppl Rock as hard as well

Cya

Regards,
Jamil

Congrats! When I join in June my batch will take over from where you guys left and raise the average salary bar to 10 lacks.

Jokes apart, I'd like to know why there have been NO overseas placement this year? Were there any offers? If not, then Why?

Cheers.

Hey Wiz
was just calculating the salary that a single person out of 107 should get to move the average from 7.04 lacs to 10 lacs
well it comes to around:wow: :wow: 3.23 crores:wow: :wow: and for that i think u r looking at a CEO job in a big firm
Have conveyed this to my Placecom that we will be having a prospective CEO joining us next year and that they should start talking to companies immediately

Now on a serious note - Yes i think no foriegn placements was a dissappointment but then JBIMS is always considered as one of the best places for Indian jobs and foriegn jobs were never our USP
However lack of foriegn companies on campus is identified as one of the areas of Improvement for JBIMS and efforts are on to to change the situation

A few steps have already been taken and i am sure that next year, it will be a different story altogether

Regards,
Jamil

Being a freshers campus, the average Indian salary offered was 7.04 lacs, an upswing from 6.82 lacs offered last year.

Hey Jamil...is JB a fresher dominated campus?? I thought JB too had a good mix of laterals with quotas for the Armed Forces giving it a very mixed batch.....Why is it being referred to as a Fresher's Campus........
Hey Barricuda,
Thats purely my opinion,
And "Fresher" here actually meant ppl with less than 2 yrs workex, coz really speaking though we have almost 65-70% students who have some kind of workex, but the problem is that there are only about 10-12% who have workex of 2Yrs and more, who qualify for lateral placements. This results in lesser lateral placements which inturn lowers the average salary figures.
i just wrote that for people to understand the difference in batch profile of JBIMS compared to other colleges
Just analyze this Spjain had some 71 lateral offers while we had just around 10, this does not mean that Bajajites are not capable enough of getting Lateral offers but its a reflection of the fact that we dont have that many ppl (due to the admission procedure) who qualify for lateral placements as SP has, Thus these 71 ppl of SP definitely must have got better packages than what are offered to freshers
One thing that i accept is "WRONG" that the current admission procedure does not give enough weightage for Workex which results in Jb having a lesser number of ppl who qualify for laterals compared to other colleges
What?? just 1 marks out of 240 for 1 year and more workex
and just 2 marks out of 240 for 3 years and more workex that too in listed companies is not justified
An example that comes to my mind immediately is that of a fellow PGite "ajain"
He has some 5 yrs workex in a large MNC IT company and lost out on CET last year by just 3 marks, now this is a loss of sorts for JBIMS in the long run
Now if Ajain was given the weightage that he deservedfor his workex, he would have easily bridged the gap of 3 marks and would have joined JBIMS along with me
He would have got a lateral placement 2 years hence and would definitely have got much more than the average that year, thereby increasing the average figure.
Now i dont know JB lost out on how many such "ajain's" last year, which will hurt us 1 year down the line.
Also there is an increasing trend that other coll are giving more weightage to workex, which no doubt helps ppl with workex but there is one more adavntage that it serves for the coll. is that they get more ppl who are easily "Sellable" after two years and that too at higher prices , thereby making the job of the respective placement committee's that much easier, and pushing the most important placement figures a few notches upwards
So to summarize one should keep all these points in mind when comparing Placement figures across B-schools and my intention of writing "Freshers Campus" was just to highlight that point
I hope i have made myself clear as to why i wrote "freshers campus"
Regards,
Jamil
Hey Wiz
was just calculating the salary that a single person out of 107 should get to move the average from 7.04 lacs to 10 lacs
well it comes to around:wow: :wow: 3.23 crores:wow: :wow: and for that i think u r looking at a CEO job in a big firm
Have conveyed this to my Placecom that we will be having a prospective CEO joining us next year and that they should start talking to companies immediately
Now on a serious note - Yes i think no foriegn placements was a dissappointment but then JBIMS is always considered as one of the best places for Indian jobs and foriegn jobs were never our USP
However lack of foriegn companies on campus is identified as one of the areas of Improvement for JBIMS and efforts are on to to change the situation
A few steps have already been taken and i am sure that next year, it will be a different story altogether
Regards,
Jamil

haha.. Jamil interesting calculation. I was implying that "my batch" would make that happen-although Rajiv Mathur CEO has a nice ring to it-don't you think?

Hi Jamil,
I'm a JB aspirant and it really hurts to know that there wasn't a single foreign offer for 2005 batch though domestically the placements rocked!!
Domestically also highest offer slid from 14 Lakhs in 2004 to 9.XX in 2005??? . Also in 2004 there were 2 foreign offers by a Singapore firm of S$25K each. When you look at an insti of JB's stature even these S$25K seem tad too less!
You said the plans are on to change the picture but what I personally feel is JB doesn't just need foreign offers it needs them with huge dough! Hope the scene changes till I graduate from JB in 2007.

hi friends,
iam a jb aspirant,i got 99.3 in cat, do i have any chance to get through jb,any one got through last time, any weightage is there for cat than other exams , plz clarify this is my only hope.

hi friends,
iam a jb aspirant,i got 99.3 in cat, do i have any chance to get through jb,any one got through last time, any weightage is there for cat than other exams , plz clarify this is my only hope.

post in the relevant thread as yu are a new bie first try to get pally with the rules of the forum yu will surely enjoy yur stay here............. post in the thread that is related to poll for percentiles for jbims........... enjoy yur stay here

rahine

enjoy