Japanese MBA?

HI, I am just wondering why aren’t Japanese MBA’s so hot (compared to US and European). They are the 2nd largest economy, have the highest IQ in the world, are hardworking. You could say MBA is basically an American style of education, …

HI,

I am just wondering why aren't Japanese MBA's so hot (compared to US and European). They are the 2nd largest economy, have the highest IQ in the world, are hardworking.

You could say MBA is basically an American style of education, but if Toyotas and Hondas could learn auto-making from Americans and beat them at it, what's different about teaching business?
About networking, I am sure even if you won't get to know Warren Buffet's or Jack Welch's drivers, living next to a Sony, Toyota or Do-Co-Mo HQ. won't do you any harm.
As for language, there are quite a few in English.

Is it just that people don't see beyond S/H/W or Japan has something lacking?

Abhishek

I guess language plus their not so welcoming attitude to foreigners might be the reason. These two in turn create conditions due to which the foreign talent including the faculty is unwilling to migrate there.

IUJ japan was the best Japan can offer for an English MBA...

Few of my colleagues from Infosys went there do an MBA and were happy...

Cheers

Few of my colleagues from Infosys went there do an MBA and were happy...

Cheers

Thanks, but could you elaborate about 'were happy'....

Where did they find jobs - internationally, in Japan or came back to India?
Did they get into IUJ by choice or because they could not get into the top 30 US/Europe?

I guees you are in Australia, hence the OZ

Abhishek

Hi Abhi

I Should have been more specific in my earlier post...

Where did they find jobs - internationally, in Japan or came back to India?
Did they get into IUJ by choice or because they could not get into the top 30 US/Europe?

They managed to find jobs in Japan..mostly in the IT of Investment banks ( JPM. Barclays ..etc ) where the work-force is expatriate and realise the importance of an MBA...

The main reason IUJ was selected due to 3 reasons-- IUJ is popular with MNC's in Japan, Cost of the program and Asia-pacific exposure......

IUJ was by choice as most of them worked in japan(Infosys clients--JPM, MUjho..)...before going for the MBA.....This came into handy while networking for the Jobs...

I guees you are in Australia, hence the OZ

Sydney sider...for the last 2 years...so targeting AGSM/MBS.....

Concept of MBA is not very popular with traditional Japanese companies or for that matter in the age based Japanese society. However, Japan being the second largest economy in the world need people to for liasoning between Japan and thier respective countries.

Almost all of the fortune 500 companies have their bases in Japan, and need MBA graduates for effective functioning.

IUJ MBA is one of the best in Japan with an international inclination. With its whole range of scholarships, extreme cultural diversity at campus and great recruitments makes it the better choice when compared to other famous American MBA's. Also America with its economy in big recession and surging oil prices, looks dull.

cheers

Hi Gupta27,

I have sent you a PM in your PG account. Do respond.

Nikhil

Hi Gupta27,

I have sent you a PM in your PG account. Do respond.

Nikhil

Hi Nikhil,

May I know your profile.

I've lived and worked in Japan for 5 years and considered a Japanese MBA and did some research into this area.

1) outside of finance, recruitment and teaching, if your japanese isn't fluent, you have zero chance of finding a job.

2) MBA is not highly valued in Japanese companies. Traditional system is promotion through years of service NOT ability.

3) a lot of Japanese are sponsored to do their MBA's by their companies

4) most MNC's in Japan are domestically focused, you won't get a job there unless you have fluent Japanese. There's a reason why microsoft, google, apple etc. have their Japan recruitment pages in Japanese only... to weed out the non-Japanese readers.

5) The MNC finance companies usually hire Japanese MBAs who went to top international schools.

I've lived and worked in Japan for 5 years and considered a Japanese MBA and did some research into this area.

1) outside of finance, recruitment and teaching, if your japanese isn't fluent, you have zero chance of finding a job.

2) MBA is not highly valued in Japanese companies. Traditional system is promotion through years of service NOT ability.

3) a lot of Japanese are sponsored to do their MBA's by their companies

4) most MNC's in Japan are domestically focused, you won't get a job there unless you have fluent Japanese. There's a reason why microsoft, google, apple etc. have their Japan recruitment pages in Japanese only... to weed out the non-Japanese readers.

5) The MNC finance companies usually hire Japanese MBAs who went to top international schools.

Hi,

I think you are correct in some aspects, but your little extreme. Let me give my view point on the particular points made by you.

1. First the chance are many and not zero as there are many multinational companies hiring international employees now and this trend will continue to increase.

2. Well traditional system in more common in Traditional Japanese companies like Toshiba, and Nomura. I suggest to work in foreign companies(mostly fortune 500) situated in Japan.

3. I agree with this and most of Japanese go for US MBA'S for their exposure.

4. Depends on companies. I would not say most of the compnaies. Also potential is large for MBA graduates to concentrate in particular international region. Knowledge of Japanese language is definitely a big edge. Most companies have their recruitment pages in English/Japanese both. Offcourse for local Japanese English is hard to read.

5. I think they shall. But the demand for English speakking people is very high and thats why there is a huge potential for all demographic. Bilingual do have an edge anywhere in Japan.

There a huge potential in Japan for international graduates and this will continue to increase as Japan is now running towards globalization.

Cheers

The chance is not zero.. i was being extreme... I know a lot of recruiters in Japan... I mean a lot... (i play football with them every week). Here`s what they say... outside of finance... an MBA even from a top school needs at LEAST JLPT level 2. If you don`t have it, you won`t even be considered why? because there are plenty of Japanese who are just as good and speak Japanese fluently.

The hiring of multinationals are usually insourced... companies likt satyam, wipro, infosys etc. place engineers in Japan, but the Japanese company would very rarely hire them on a permanent basis. They are hired on a project basis because budgets for projects and line management are separate.

As stated even the fortune 500 companies in Japan require Japanese language capabilities... (see above for JLPT requirements)

Globalization? Not in Japan... Regional bases in asia region are in Singapore and Hong Kong. Japan is not cost efficient to host a regional office. So mostly the marketing centres are domestically focused and the R&D; requires you to be able to interact with the local populace which means you need that Japanese language ability.

Finally there is culture... Understanding how Japanese people work, honne and tatamae, why hire a foreigner who doesn`t understand the intricacies of the local business culture?

In terms of MBA... If you want to work in Japan, IUJ has an advantage... you are expected to learn Japanese as part of the course. It also enables you to learn the culture while you are studying in Japan.

However, from personal experience, I have not met a single MBA graduate from IUJ. all the non -finance MBA`s i`ve met in Japan, are

1) Japanese
2) Got their MBA abroad

and I`ve yet to meet a non-Japanese MBA who isn`t in finance.

The chance is not zero.. i was being extreme... I know a lot of recruiters in Japan... I mean a lot... (i play football with them every week). Here`s what they say... outside of finance... an MBA even from a top school needs at LEAST JLPT level 2. If you don`t have it, you won`t even be considered why? because there are plenty of Japanese who are just as good and speak Japanese fluently.

The hiring of multinationals are usually insourced... companies likt satyam, wipro, infosys etc. place engineers in Japan, but the Japanese company would very rarely hire them on a permanent basis. They are hired on a project basis because budgets for projects and line management are separate.

As stated even the fortune 500 companies in Japan require Japanese language capabilities... (see above for JLPT requirements)

Globalization? Not in Japan... Regional bases in asia region are in Singapore and Hong Kong. Japan is not cost efficient to host a regional office. So mostly the marketing centres are domestically focused and the R&D; requires you to be able to interact with the local populace which means you need that Japanese language ability.

Finally there is culture... Understanding how Japanese people work, honne and tatamae, why hire a foreigner who doesn`t understand the intricacies of the local business culture?

In terms of MBA... If you want to work in Japan, IUJ has an advantage... you are expected to learn Japanese as part of the course. It also enables you to learn the culture while you are studying in Japan.

However, from personal experience, I have not met a single MBA graduate from IUJ. all the non -finance MBA`s i`ve met in Japan, are

1) Japanese
2) Got their MBA abroad

and I`ve yet to meet a non-Japanese MBA who isn`t in finance.

Thanks for the info. IUJ has an international MBA, and some people do return to their home countries after graduation, which I think is quite fair from an international MBA perspective and also some scholarships also demand that. As far as overall recruitment goes IUJ MBA ranks 5th in the world according to global Economic Intelligence Unit rankings 2007. Offcourse finance is most popular with hot multinational jobs in banks. I would agree, Japan is I would say heaven for jobs in finance comapanies.
Because its economy has a strong influence in the Asia pacific region, a non Japanese speaker can easliy be placed to regional offices in Singapore, Hongkong etc.

I know many people in foreigners who could not speak even a bit of Japanese are doing quite well in Japan, motivation is the key. Regarding the grduates from IUJ, since the Japanese language course is a part of curriculum, having some grasp in Japanese language, future prospects are brighter than ever. Bilingual capabilities are itself an asset in today's world. All this advantage with no loan after MBA(good scholarships), on getting IUJ MBA is pure gold.

I have come across few IUJ Indian MBA graduates earning very well but yes they all are in finance companies like Lehman and Goldmann Sachs. Also IRP program of IUJ is already doing wonders since a long time.

cheers

2 of the most popular options for people in Japan (foreigners) who are already working are :-

1) Part time Temple MBA
2) Part Time McGill MBA

Mainly bevcause they are N.American

2 of the most popular options for people in Japan (foreigners) who are already working are :-

1) Part time Temple MBA
2) Part Time McGill MBA

Mainly bevcause they are N.American

In terms of part time MBA, both are good options.
But I wonder handling a part time MBA in Japan's
hard working life? Anyways those who can manage it,
I also recommend these MBAs.
In terms of part time MBA, both are good options.
But I wonder handling a part time MBA in Japan's
hard working life? Anyways those who can manage it,
I also recommend these MBAs.

forgot to mention, those part-times MBA`s have campuses in Tokyo

In fact the Japanese Management education is getting really hot these days. RV-Nihongo Bashi in B'lore offers a one year (very intensive) PG Diploma in Japanese Management program for this space. They faculty also comes from Japan for many modules and integrates a cross-cultural biz practices course....

Hi,

I am an IT Graduate from Mumbai University.
I wish to apply for a full time MBA Course in IUJ. But I can't seem to get a list of their
requirements.
1.Do I need to have Work Experience before applying as other institutes in Japan?
2.And apart from GMAT Do I need to give any other exams?
3.Does having a CISA Certification help in any way?