Ivey Mba

Yeah Jai, Ive been admitted for the May 2009 cohort.
Fall 2009 admissions cycle has already begun. Refer to the Ivey Admissions website for exact dates.

Certainly, one cant go wrong by choosing Ivey, at least for the comprehensive success of its alumni. Refer to my post on why Ivey. However, you might want to consider the following:

1. Case Method Theres no doubt that case method along with the cross enterprise curriculum will expose you to a wide array of management problems, interpreting the eagles eye view. However, some students are better off at a lecture-based method, where you tend to learn more by listening in class and burning back home assignments. I am more of a learn by doing kind of a guy and I would strongly advocate the case method. But thats just me; choose the method that you believe is right for you.

2. Financing Canadian banks dont lend internationals that are not landed immigrants (i.e. those who dont hold the permanent resident-ship status). Indian banks offer upto 20lakhs. You would easily need another 20-25 lakhs to finance the Ivey MBA.

3. Ivey is a fast paced programme. Unlike other 2-year programs, at Ivey you will have very little time decide on post MBA careers. I understand that job fairs and interview season starts as early as 4 months into the programme. But this is the case with any top 1-year MBA programme.

Unquestionably, Ivey is a top-school. Following links might be of some help to you.
Ivey Related Links
My Blog posts: Advice on MBA Applications

Deep, I think TOEFL waivers are considered on a case-by-case basis. I remember the text-field in online online application form where you get to send requests to waive the requirement. Try sending an email to the MBA Admissions office. Response turnarounds are reasonably quick.

Hey Demandez,
Any other Canadian schools you applied? How is Queens in Kingston? Is it better than Ivey?
Hey Demandez,
Any other Canadian schools you applied? How is Queens in Kingston? Is it better than Ivey?

No. I didnt apply to other schools in Canada. My strategy was to apply to top case-based schools in NA (Harvard, Darden and Ivey) and a few general management schools in round 1. Had I not been able to convert any of these schools, I had plans to apply to schools such as Queens, RSM, Ox-Cam and a few schools in US.

I wouldnt argue Ivey is better than Queens or the other way. It mostly depends on ones own career goals and course requirements. On a general note, Ivey is great for general management/management consulting, Rotman is famous for finance and Queens is known for technology. However, students from all three schools have been successful in managing offers from variety disciplines. All three programmes are entirely different in terms of courses offered and the teaching methodologies (all schools deploy a wide variety of teaching methods, though). Class strength and program length may also be a concern.

Hello,

Can any admitted students tell me how much time Ivey takes to give any information on the interview results...

Hello,

Can any admitted students tell me how much time Ivey takes to give any information on the interview results...

You can expect the decision before the start of the subsequent application round. Refer to admission decisions for admission and waitlist timing.

Please ignore...

Hey Demandez,
Did you upload your resume for assessment? or directly proceeded to the application? Any advantages of uploading the resume?

Hey Demandez,
Did you upload your resume for assessment? or directly proceeded to the application? Any advantages of uploading the resume?

Uploading your resume will definitely help. Gives you some spice to add during your interview 😃 Resume assessment --> application shows that you are interested in the school. In either case, it is not going to hurt.

Demandez,

Sending you a pm..

I uploaded my resume a few weeks ago... got a generic response... 'thank you four you interest...based on your background you look like a good fit...etc...'.
They probably will respond the same way to everyone.. but it definitely shows you are serious about the program, and you will receive updates regarding the class visits, first class on road etc.
I liked the concept though... it seems to build a relationship between you and the school; shows the school's interest in you as well.

Hey Demandez,

Yes, I did upload my resume. But I don't think that made much difference, except for the email followups that it initiated, where I could clarify my fundamental doubts (such as suitability of a 1 year programme for career changers, etc).

Submitting resume assessment does help in terms of showing your interest to the school. Nonetheless, I would consider class visits, MBA fairs and informational interviews to provide you a better edge, than just the resume assessment.

And I do expect the same generic reply for every potential candidate, unless there's someone who is a total-misfit for Ivey.

Hi,

I have submitted my application for the May 2009 intake; also planning to visit the class on 25th Sept. I will travel Seattle --> Toronto --> London.

My profile:
Male Indian IT 😃 8 years
BE from DCE, Delhi.
GMAT 690, decent extracurriculars

Hope to stay in touch with you throughout the application process.

Cheers...Manish

Guys

Has anyone attended interview. If anyone can throw some light on how the experience was? And what were the questions like? Was the interview hard/ else a casual walk?

Pushing Hard

hello,

When is your interview scheduled ? I had mine last month. The interviewers were very flexible and co operative in choosing interview date and time. Interviews wer not of the Grilling types. Both the interviews are parallel activities and only after that they seem to evaluate your application in totality.I am awaiting my results.. keep me posted about profile and your interview experience...

Guys

Has anyone attended interview. If anyone can throw some light on how the experience was? And what were the questions like? Was the interview hard/ else a casual walk?

Pushing Hard
hello,

When is your interview scheduled ? I had mine last month. The interviewers were very flexible and co operative in choosing interview date and time. Interviews wer not of the Grilling types. Both the interviews are parallel activities and only after that they seem to evaluate your application in totality.I am awaiting my results.. keep me posted about profile and your interview experience...

Oh !.. that sounds better... Thanks for your reply.. i have my first round of interview tomorrow. who had interviewed ? and Could you please tell me how long the interview was? and how many questions did they ask ? what were the question types ? and so on.. it would be very grateful if you can be a bit elaborate about you experience

Thanks
Pushing Hard
Oh !.. that sounds better... Thanks for your reply.. i have my first round of interview tomorrow. who had interviewed ? and Could you please tell me how long the interview was? and how many questions did they ask ? what were the question types ? and so on.. it would be very grateful if you can be a bit elaborate about you experience

Thanks
Pushing Hard

It's pretty early in the game and you guys are already interviewing..woww !!

Did you get interview call after you have submitted your applications... I thought Ivey has invite only interview . RIght ?

When did you submit apps and when you did you intv calls ?

Hi puys,

I had my interviews( both by adcom and by CS Dept.) last month. I hope the below questions would help you prepare better.

Good Luck!!

Adcom:
Why Ivey? What skills you hope to acquire at Ivey?

What is your Anti-resume?

What team-oriented skills do you lack?

Leader I admire? What I dont admire about him?

A situation where some external team was not willing to co-operate and how did you handle that?

A professional failure? Why did it fail?

Why a career in XYZ? What do you think your exp is going to contribute in this career?

How would my friends/colleagues describe me?

Incident when someone did not agree to your suggestion?

What is that one quality about you that I would not get from your resume?

Why do you think you have succeded well in team work?

Career Services:

Walk me through your resume.

Why did you leave abc?

What did you gain from working with MNC?

What skills you have acquired which will help you in your consulting career?

Any specific firm I would like to work with. Why?

An initiative I took that helped my organization?

A team with which I worked and in which people were not willing to listen to my suggestions. How did I handle that situation?

What are my post MBA goals?

How would my colleagues describe me?

A tough client that I worked with. How did I handle the situation?

How do I keep my up tp date with the latest happenings?

Any latest news of interest that Im following?

[email protected], you didn't even browse thru Ivey's web-site. R1 deadline was 1st Sept. Ivey admits on a rolling basis, its kinda first come first serve.

Hello,

Didn't they tell you at the end of the interview? You can expect to hear back from them in the Sept last week.

I know what I'm gonna do till Sept end :drinking:
doosrakeval Says
[email protected], you didn't even browse thru Ivey's web-site. R1 deadline was 1st Sept. Ivey admits on a rolling basis, its kinda first come first serve.

Thanks mate for posting your intv experience. I admit I haven't researched much on Ivey.

I am still keen to know how long did it take you from submission of your apps till your interviews.
Thanks mate for posting your intv experience. I admit I haven't researched much on Ivey.

I am still keen to know how long did it take you from submission of your apps till your interviews.

I submitted my app in 2nd week of July. They contacted me 4 weeks later to give an interview date in 3rd week of Aug.
Hi,

I have submitted my application for the May 2009 intake; also planning to visit the class on 25th Sept. I will travel Seattle --> Toronto --> London.

My profile:
Male Indian IT 😃 8 years
BE from DCE, Delhi.
GMAT 690, decent extracurriculars

Hope to stay in touch with you throughout the application process.

Cheers...Manish

Good Luck Joe.
And, since you have already submitted your application, you may also want to request for interview slots when you visit the school. Try emailing the admissions committee to check if this is feasible. Face-to-face interviews do provide opportunities to present things better.