ISO 9001 certification for IIM Calcutta's Intaglio!

ISO 9001 certification for IIM Calcutta’s Intaglio! The Indian Institute of Management Calcutta’s Intaglio, its annual business school festival, has been recommended for ISO 9001 certification. With this, Intaglio finds itself in …

ISO 9001 certification for IIM Calcutta's Intaglio!

The Indian Institute of Management Calcutta's Intaglio, its annual business school festival, has been recommended for ISO 9001 certification.

With this, Intaglio finds itself in a league of its own as the first and only business school festival in India to achieve the prestigious ISO 9001 quality standard. The audit and recommendation was made by Det Norske Veritas, one of the world €™s leading certification bodies.
Intaglio has been constantly evolving over the years to maintain the high standards that befit the flagship event of IIM Calcutta. This year Team Intaglio, the student run organization responsible for the festival, decided to rationalize the management of the event by implementing a quantifiable Quality Management System. This would ensure that future versions of Intaglio would maintain world quality standards, thus enhancing the event €™s value in the minds of participants, and industry and media sponsors. The certification process itself was arduous, requiring a veritable mountain of documentation, from the conceptualization and implementation to the actual execution of each event. All aspects of the festival had to adhere to strict quality standards, requiring a commitment to excellence by every member of Team Intaglio. The successful recommendation for ISO 9001 is a testament to the professionalism with which Intaglio is managed.

The ISO 9001 series of standards are widely accepted internationally, and specify requirements for a Quality Management System. The standard is maintained by the International Organization for Standardization, and administered by local accreditation and certification bodies.

This is just amazing guys...feels great to be the first B-School to get an ISO 9001 cerification for its bschool meet

Hey,

Before I begin, a Disclaimer - My views are my own and do not mean to harm the sentiments of any particular student community ... its just a comment on the thought behind this certification funda

I guess we all know that college festivals are one of the most remembered events in our college time. And most often than not, we remember then not for how well they went off but for all the goof ups and the fun that we had experiencing those 3-4 days and nights.

All college festivals have their share of late events, arguments between students, missing judges, pampered celebrities, last minute sponsorship deals and what not. These are the very reasons that a group of 30-40 people get together and work on them and develop friendships for years to come

Now I don't really know if it is worth it to sacrifice all of that just to make sure that my college festival will go off smoothly without any glitches and exactly according to what it says in the document. Afterall we are a bunch of students having fun and learning, we are not an event management company

I guess the true essence is lost

No offence meant ... Just give it a thought

Ketan Mohile

ofcourse, management study implies (to me) that the end goal is to bullshit a lot to sell crap.
ISO is just another gimmick - and ISO for a B-school event (OMG - these guys just won't stop - tomorrow they will come and ISO my day to day life! - brush my teeth, and some items i can't name!) justifies to me that the management types will pull any crap to get their own ends.

Interesting line of thoughts. From what I've attended .. its not easy to manage a fest and its even tougher to pull it off when the day is near. People go haywire, guests are delayed, events get screwed up and when nothing works - there is mayhem.

From what I've seen its the seniors who work closely with the juniors to pull off a fest. But herein there is something interesting I've noticed. It doesnt always work well Fests are getting bigger and bigger and managing them would be getting tougher and tougher. An ISO here, I am not sure how helpful it might be - but it does lend credibility to the fact that its a well managed event.

Not everything is jargon, not everything is hogwash. Even the most basic of certifications would require a certain amount of work, processes in place. With that in, I dont see why IIMC shouldn't be commended to go first and take their place in history. If you have sponsors backing the event, I am sure the certification adds all the more credibility and heck, even for the layman it sounds certified.

So yes, an interesting move there. How much does it translate into a much much better run fest..am sure the junta will comment on it sometime 😃

Interesting line of thoughts. From what I've attended .. its not easy to manage a fest and its even tougher to pull it off when the day is near. People go haywire, guests are delayed, events get screwed up and when nothing works - there is mayhem.

From what I've seen its the seniors who work closely with the juniors to pull off a fest. But herein there is something interesting I've noticed. It doesnt always work well Fests are getting bigger and bigger and managing them would be getting tougher and tougher. An ISO here, I am not sure how helpful it might be - but it does lend credibility to the fact that its a well managed event.

Not everything is jargon, not everything is hogwash. Even the most basic of certifications would require a certain amount of work, processes in place. With that in, I dont see why IIMC shouldn't be commended to go first and take their place in history. If you have sponsors backing the event, I am sure the certification adds all the more credibility and heck, even for the layman it sounds certified.

So yes, an interesting move there. How much does it translate into a much much better run fest..am sure the junta will comment on it sometime :)

ISO doesn't define the processes - the processes are defined by some quality guys (employment opportunity) at the organization. Also, to prove to the ISO auditors that a process is being followed - it is suffice to show a ton of documentation and ask a few guys to get ready to face the invigilation committee with answers. The certification process is a joke - this is based on experience.

It sounds great.... First B School event to be certified by ISO... but, wat does this mean??? why should an event be certified??? It does add credibility to the Institution as such and lot of credibility to the people involved behind it.. but as said earlier, I strongly feel that the basic things like arguments, last minute adjustments, missing judges and missing event locations , etc are lost.. the fun behind these events is just washed away...

I am a part of Team Intaglio. The following are my personal views and not of Team Intaglio, IIM Calcutta.

Its not just about fun. A b-school festival is a matter of importance and I dont think delaying an event is fun. I believe that audience time is most precious. When they give their time, we need to value it. Missing judges and event locations create anxious moments not only for the organisers but also for the participants. We do have fun when inspite of all hurdles, we pull it off successfully. And ISO does not mean that there should not be any delay. When there is a delay, it looks at valid reasons for that though regular delay is something bad.

If we feel that we are missing out fun by certifying ourselves, then no company in this world should go for any kind of certification. We are trying to set higher standards for ourselves and hope to make it better and a pleasant one for the participants.

http://www.airportsindia.org.in/aai/chennai-airport/
Chennai International Airport, Chennai:
First International Airport to get ISO-9001-2000 Certification

Speaks volumes about ISO certification?

http://www.airportsindia.org.in/aai/chennai-airport/
Chennai International Airport, Chennai:
First International Airport to get ISO-9001-2000 Certification

Speaks volumes about ISO certification?

I understand ur cynicism but the Chennai Intnl airport isn't a very good example to prove ur point. It is cramped for space and is no Heathrow but the basics are all right which I think is the point of a ISO certification. On a side note. I would love to know what exactly IIMC did to get this certification
convolutedsignal Says
I understand ur cynicism but the Chennai Intnl airport isn't a very good example to prove ur point. It is cramped for space and is no Heathrow but the basics are all right which I think is the point of a ISO certification. On a side note. I would love to know what exactly IIMC did to get this certification

"the basics are all right" - and that's the point. it's no big deal to be ISO certified - but it has become a stamp today which says - "i got it - look at you - ha ha ha!" and that's a statement you can make and get away with in management circles.

Ok, I dont want to get into arguments and counter-arguments. Going by what people are saying in this forum CMM, CMMi dont matter at all. After all when things are in place, they automatically ensue. And true, its just to say that things are in place!

What we do is to make sure that each and every thing is documented, things go on schedule, total tracking of each and every inventory involved and so on....

I rest my case...

Ok, I dont want to get into arguments and counter-arguments. Going by what people are saying in this forum CMM, CMMi dont matter at all. After all when things are in place, they automatically ensue. And true, its just to say that things are in place!

What we do is to make sure that each and every thing is documented, things go on schedule 90% of the time, in case they do not, the reasons for this, total tracking of each and every inventory involved and so on....

I rest my case...

what case?