ISB or IIM Lucknow ??

Hi Guys !! It seems that there are quite a few guys here who made it into ISB. It will help me if any body can provide the following information 1. Any idea about number of people given admit in R1. Also how many got any form of scholar…

Hi Guys !!

It seems that there are quite a few guys here who made it into ISB. It will help me if any body can provide the following information

1. Any idea about number of people given admit in R1. Also how many got any form of scholarship.
2. I have seen vingmat's posting that he has got 1.5L scholarship. I got 1 L scholarship. This is peanuts compared to their total fees. Has anybody got any idea wats the basis of awarding this schol.
3. I will request anyone to give arguments to opt for ISB over IIMs. This will help me to arrive at my decision as I have a call from IIM Lucknow.
4. Any idea when the IIM interview results will be out. ISB will start by 10th April. If IIM L result is not out by 1st week of April, then i will be in real soup.

I know i carry good chance of converting IIM L call becoz of my profile. But rite now I m in total dilemna in deciding between IIM L & ISB.

hope to get a reply soon.
till then..adios..

mousum

Hi Guys !!

It seems that there are quite a few guys here who made it into ISB. It will help me if any body can provide the following information

1. Any idea about number of people given admit in R1. Also how many got any form of scholarship.
2. I have seen vingmat's posting that he has got 1.5L scholarship. I got 1 L scholarship. This is peanuts compared to their total fees. Has anybody got any idea wats the basis of awarding this schol.
3. I will request anyone to give arguments to opt for ISB over IIMs. This will help me to arrive at my decision as I have a call from IIM Lucknow.
4. Any idea when the IIM interview results will be out. ISB will start by 10th April. If IIM L result is not out by 1st week of April, then i will be in real soup.

I know i carry good chance of converting IIM L call becoz of my profile. But rite now I m in total dilemna in deciding between IIM L & ISB.

till then..adios..

mousum

First, Congratulations.

Just to put things into perspective, you should have had an convincing answer to the "Why MBA" question? And "Why MBA from ISB"? just ponder over these again.

Remember there is a difference between "good chance of converting" and "converted". Though you are really confident of converting your IIM L call, you still haven't done that.

Has ISB given you time before remitting the first instalment of fees? (I am not talking about the initial payment, but the instalment after that.)
In case, they have given you time till let's say Apr'15, then if you make it to IIML you lose only 1lakh or 75K (not sure about the amount.). In case, you do not make it then you have ISB to fall back.
I do not know about your position at this moment, about what you do and what kind of experience you have? So, I do not want to comment further.

But, remember say 6-8 years down the line, it does not matter where you did an MBA from, but what you have done after the MBA.

There are a few guys who have made it to IIML from here. You can check some of the older threads, and PM them. Maybe they can help.

Mousum, I got a 1 lac tuition waiver. This is certainly a small fraction of their fee, but like you probably know they have other scholarships once you get in.

The ISB site says 1 in 3 students gets a scholarship between 1 lac and 3 lacs. Going by the number of people here and on the Y!group (about 5 in all) who said they were given waivers, this doesn't seem to be the ratio (unless the rest have not mentioned their scholarships, or are not on one of these forums).

So, it looks like the number of scholarships is much less than the number one would expect for R1 (roughly 30-40% of the 100 scholarships that must exist if 1 in 3 admits get a scholarship).

As regards the basis for the scholarship, I'd say it's pretty much like they say -- merit and need. Merit might be more convincing if backed up by stellar test scores. In my case, I believe I made a strong case for the "merit" aspect with my whole application, and I conveyed the "need" part in the scholarship essay.

- Jaeger

Hi Guys
I just got an offer from ISB last week in R2. I did not get any schol letter.. i was hoping for the same but am dissappointed that i did not get it ( which tell me that i am in the last 1/3 of the class).

This seems very disheartening. I am presently working in no 1 company in fortune 500 and having a salary of about 10 lacs.. i am kind of very confused as to whether i should join ISB or not..

tintin

This seems very disheartening. I am presently working in no 1 company in fortune 500 and having a salary of about 10 lacs.. i am kind of very confused as to whether i should join ISB or not..

tintin

Are you in Walmart ???
But, remember say 6-8 years down the line, it does not matter where you did an MBA from, but what you have done after the MBA.

It does buddy, It does. Brand matters. Yes 5-10 yrs down th eline, Brand will not be the only thing that will be looked at, It will be a combination of Your performance and Brand. Same performance and Diff Brand .. well you know who will be preffered....

Btw, The IIMs are gonna declare the rsult on 10th.
Hi Guys
I just got an offer from ISB last week in R2. I did not get any schol letter.. i was hoping for the same but am dissappointed that i did not get it ( which tell me that i am in the last 1/3 of the class).

tintin

Hi

Dont get disheartened by the fact that u haven't got schol. There are many reasons for that. If u r working in Fortune No. 1 and earning 10L, means u have got Work Ex of min 4-5 yrs. ISB has given schol to guys havin less than 3 yrs work ex and age less than 25. Also current salary matters. All these becoz the schol is partially "need based" and partially "merit based".
And whether to join ISB or not is a personal prerogative. Depends on ur work profile, financial viability and alternate options.
Other than this i guess, being from a Fortune No.1 (guess its Walmart), you have strong credentials which will come good at ISB.

Good Luck
Hi Guys

tintin

U are having a salary of 10 lacs & u are worried about not getting 1 or 2 lac scholarship!!! Somethings amiss!!!

Last year, I was pretty much told by Adcom that usually scholarships are for lower bracket salaries!! This year, things might be a lil different but the basic fact remains that they want to encourage the lower salaried guys to take on ISB even if it has a steep fee structure!! :)

Simba
Hi Guys

So what.... I know that even 1-2 lacs is a BIG amount... but will 'NOT getting a schol' changes your decision to join ISB ?..... I think NO.....then why a dis-appointment.... ask people who have been dinged by ISB despite competitive profiles..... and if you are worried that you are in the last 1/3 of the class...then I think you need to grow up..... I dont believe that ISB keep a "merit ranking" based on profiles..... there are only three things.... 1) You are admitted 2) You are dinged 3) You are waitlisted..... I dont think there is an inherent ranking among the ISB admits....

If there is indeed such a ranking system...then please elaborate more on it......and what use this ranking is put into....

tintin

Isnt it boasting? I mean do u actually believe that " working in no 1 company in fortune 500 and having a salary of about 10 lacs " .....is a reason enough for the "dilemma" about joining ISB......

No hard feelings buddy......expecting a maturity atleast among people who aspire to do a global MBA

Ketan

Dear MPC

This is your erstwhile flatmate speaking. I hope you remember me and the good times we had.

I seriously think that you should go ahead and join ISB because....because...I don't know...there's no particular reason for it. Had we humans been able to predict the future, we wouldn't be humans then. Either one of them (ISB/IIML)could turn out to be a good/bad choice in the future. So...what the heck. I'm sure with the kind of profile you have, you'll be able to get a job of your choice. After all, its YOU who sell, not your ISB or IIML tag. Think over it.

And lastly, you tried so hard...and in the end...it doesn't even matter...all that matters is that you have an amazingly beautiful girlfriend, a pedigreed dog and a caring family.

All the best.

this is a typical case of comparing oranges with apples......here we are comparing two MBA programs which are inherently different without a trace of similarity........one has to just get the basics right and will never face the dilemma....ISB gives u one yr MBA....and mind it that changing the fields ll b really difficult there....ur prior job ex will b the deciding factor there....Mckinsey takes most number of guys from ISB but so does Patni and Infy which dont dare to visit IIM campus.....so if u want to get rid of ur past and start all afresh go to IIM.....in case ur past had been rosy with all those heavy qualifications and damn good job ex...opt for ISB....u ll saving a year too...it's lotta time for managers....

Hi Guys !!

till then..adios..

mousum

Hi !!

Me too in the same boat !! Selected for ISB and for IIML interview. I have tried to analyse the same on following lines:

From a financial perspective:

1. ISB will at least cost around 17-18 L which excludes international exchange program which may cost anywhere from 2-4 Lacs whereas IIML shall be costing around 10 L which also includes tuition, travel expenses for the international exposure program.

2. ISB has an international exchange program that is not mandatory and only 40-50 students go for it and have to return just-in-time to catch on with the final placements. IIML has a mandatory 5 week international exposure program.

Brand Value:

1. Both are different brands altogether !! ISB attracts foreign companies and has the big shots on its board and of course the backing of fortune 500 (i understand it is the brainchild of top think tanks from F 500). IIML is yet to start the program, so you may have to keep your fingers crossed or be the guinea pigs. IIMs generally attract traditional indian companies, MNCs but you can't be sure as the IIM Brand is a strong one.

2. ISB has establised itself as a prominent institute (more than 5 yrs) so it 'should' not falter on placements and is more promising as far as 'value for money' is considered. IIML is a starter though it has built a new campus in Noida and is the first one among IIMs to do so. So you an judge the committment, seriousness and efforts put in here. You can expect value for money but will have to pass through the 'first batch' learning syndrome.

3. If hyderabad is the cyber-city, then Noida is not behind. It is fast emerging as a vibrant industrial estate and expanding fast and is close to capital.

4. Faculty at ISB is a mix of international leaders, profs from other universities besides some regular faculty. IIML has a few regular faculty (as shown on website). Not sure how things would develop in 1st batch.

SO THAT'S IT. TILL THE TIME WE DO NOT HAVE A FINAL OFFER FROM IIM L THERE'S NO POINT IN ANALYSING IT FURTHER. ALL THE BEST FOR INTERVIEW !!!

saptarishi

@saptarishi
I hope you know that you bumped a two year old thread. Please read the date of posting of the last post in the thread before replying :)

-
Bugs

@saptarishi
I hope you know that you bumped a two year old thread. Please read the date of posting of the last post in the thread before replying :)

-
Bugs

@BUGS: Thread old .. But problem still relevant :)

@ Saptarshi: Quite a dilemma you have there... I think you are doing the right thing by assuming that you are gonna get in and starting to think... Frankly, I do not think anyone else will be able to answer this question... You seem to have done enough research yourself... Its for you to decide what you want and accordingly which program suits your objective better :)

All the best.

Thanks,
Abhishek.