ISB, NUS, AIM, have GMAT score, will do an MBA?

OK, so you’ve got between 3 and 6 years of experience, gave the GMAT (or contemplating appearing soon), and are wondering what to do next? Join the conversation. Pitch in with your ideas, because I just can’t make up my mind. I applied t…

OK, so you've got between 3 and 6 years of experience, gave the GMAT (or contemplating appearing soon), and are wondering what to do next?

Join the conversation. Pitch in with your ideas, because I just can't make up my mind.

I applied to the ISB (if you've been reading recent discussions, you know my story already).
I've downloaded the NUS b-school form, and have 2 start writing the essays now. Does anyone have any qualitative info on NUS?

Ditto for AIM, Manila. I hear its better than Singapore, but atleast I know I have a chance of getting a job in Singapore. But what about Manila? (Another fact b4 u think of applying: the admission form has 14 -yes, fourteen essays to be filled out.)

I guess AGSM (Australian Grad School of mgmt) is out of the question, bcoz they're gonna send u back home as soon as u finish.

Individuals (I'm being politically correct here) with reasonable work-ex, especially those thinking of b-schools other than IIMs, please pitch in with ur 2c worth.

Before we head on with discussions... just one quest.. isnt it too late.. are u looking at Fall 2004???

Simba

I'm not in a hurry to get into a b-school. I can wait till next year, which I definitely have to in the case of Queens.

There's ampole time for NUS, AIM Manila and Nanyang though.

Hi!

Any information about AIMAT 03 results?

Hi,

I am also in the same line. My profile:

Experience : 2.3 years
Industry : IT
GMAT : 730

I have applied to ISB. Yet to know the results. I am also planning to apply for NUS and NANYANG. I enquired about the job market in Singapore from an NUS current student and the results are not very hopeful. He also said that the school offers little or no placement assistance.

I enquired about AIM from a current student and he said placement is worse than Singapore. So, what to do, if ISB dings ? Should I apply to AIM inspite of bad placemnet and 14 essays ?

Hi!

I have some info on AIM Manila which I thought will share it with you folks. Well the course content is great but the placements are really tough. I mean they donot have on-campus placements like the ones IIMs and other top B-schools offer..instead they conduct Job-fairs in Manila, Singapore etc where companies come (if they want) and then select them. So placements as such is not guarnteed. During the recession in 2001-2002 lot of folks had a tough time finding a job. But their summer internship is good. They even have exchange programs with other top B-Schools worldwide (including IIMs).

Two of my flat-mates made it there last time but gave up the admissions due to the placements factor and the huge costs invloved (14 Lacs atleast)

To get in you don't need GMAT..alternatively you can take a AIMAT (AIM's aptitude test on lines of GMAT but more easier). It happens in November each year. This is followed by interview (in Mumbai). I find that to get into this B-School is more easier than NUS/ISB or Nanyang.

regards,
Praveen

Thanks a lot Praveen, the recruitment was just the factor I was apprehensive about when it came to AIM.

Do you have similar information about NUS and Nanyang?

Hey Praveen..

Thats called information at finger tips... Just Kidding!!! Yup.. u are right... one of my friend's pal came from AIM, Manila & he was last seen hunting for jobs in Bangalore... that was almost about 6-8 months back... by now.. am sure he must have got a solid one too!!!

About Nanyang & others... not much idea..Tsk Tsk.. wanted to look at it but was strongly advised not to look at them... .....

Thats all i can say.. bye guys...
Simba

Hey Simba, why don't you elaborate on that statement you made about Nanyang and 'others'. Does that include NUS too?

Thanks Beeble & Sowmya!

I had first hand info c'os one of my cousin is a AIM Manila alumnus (though he completed in 1999 itself) besides last year me and lot of my friends were very serious about AIM Manila MBA

After hearing about placements et all I finally decided against it!!

Well Beeble, I don't have much info about Nanyang MBA but NUS had been to their free tea/snacks session @ Taj here last year!

Herez what I gather about NUS MBA:
1.) Its goverment run University hence fees are quite low (compared to Nanyang or even ISB). The Singapore Govt gives you interest free loans that you have to repay in 20 years!!!

2.) After MBA you can immediately look for employment opportunities is Singapore if you want (getting PR would be easy it seems after NUS MBA).

3.) To my dismay they too dont have dedicated placement cell to rope in companies during last sem..they conduct job fairs (like AIM). 😞 But the director said everyone got placed without much problems etc.

4.) GMAT of 680+ would be more than enough to get good admit. I remember that they mention 700 plus you have bright chance etc. But they do want decent essays, recos and other stuff.

As for Nanyang, being a private school feed slightly costlier but I think loans should take care of fees. As compared to NUS, I would give higher marks to Nanyang..since their tieups, network seemed better. But admission might be slightly touger than getting into NUS. :)

regards,
Praveen

Interesting fact about NUS:

Application fee is waived for student with a GMAT score of 700+.

I've done some research on the living expenses associated with NUS, and the total (including tution fee, living exp., insurance, etc. from the NUS web site) comes up to about 11 lakhs (INR, assuming 1 Sing $ = 27 Rs)

Talking about which, I just don't know how ISB justifies its 14lakh+ cost (which a relative of mine once called "FRIGHTFULLY EXPENSIVE") . I asked Vinoo (director of admissions) about this once in an information session, but he sidestepped the question. I had also asked him whether this cost would preclude quality applicants. But he just gave some stats about scholarships and bank loans.

ISB compares its fee with Harvard, INSEAD and LBS, which is ridiculous. ISB's operating costs are in rupees, not in $, pounds or Euros (with the exception of the visiting faculty costs, of course). Also, they don't realise that we're gonna pay off this loan while earning in rupees, so the fee hike this year was unwarranted.

If you don't have some money already saved up, then God help you. If you get a 6-7 lakh p.a job, ur gonna have a tough time paying off your loan, esp if posted in a city like bbay or Blr with the high rentals.
Forget buying a car or a house.

Hi all

Anyone having applied to ISB and having a feedback do reply. Any alumni/current students around?

Rgds,

Hi all

Anyone having applied to ISB and having a feedback do reply. Any alumni/current students around?

Rgds,

Pls restrict ur questions to particular thread. theres some info regarding ISB in other thread!!!

Simba

For all the people thinking "ample time for AIM" ...guys they take just 6 people from India and they dont give anymore time after November to apply yep...in Jan you can twist things a bit but not now.

for ISB, my advise...dont go to that place...u will spend 14 Lakh (as mentioned in some post) and will not land up with a job of 9 Lakh p/a.

gbabu| Says
For all the people thinking "ample time for AIM" ...guys they take just 6 people from India and they dont give anymore time after November to apply yep...in Jan you can twist things a bit but not now.

Sorry Babu... Really didnt understand this part.. what are u saying???

|gbabu Says
for ISB, my advise...dont go to that place...u will spend 14 Lakh (as mentioned in some post) and will not land up with a job of 9 Lakh p/a.

Gosh... Cant say ur posts are brimming with optimism.. But if u do make such categorical statements.. then pls take some time off to elucidate!!!

This is the second time u are making such strong statements.. We really have no probs with such things but pls take note of ppl who are interested in applying to these schools!!! If u really believe whatever u have said above.. then.. give us more info about it... do u know anybody from ISB who are unhappy now?? why is the ROI of an ISB program that bad... Do clear up this issue soon....

Simba

Hi Simba,
Simple....AIM dates r gone now..for Indian nationals. there was a post in Jan that one can apply there...nopes now one cannot.

Second, as for my posts NOT brimming with "optimism"...well I am not going to type out ALL what I know, all I will say is check...."http://rankings.ft.com/rankings/mba/rankings.html" and then go to any TOP B-School website, compare the fees and compare the amount of money hike a student gets after passing out from that Institute (when we talk of ISB we 'generally' dont talk of freshers) and also compare the amount of fee and the 1st placement salary of students there. You will learn a LOT.

I am not here to offend anyone...all I do is...write things, what I would suggest you SIMBA is...in future when u find my posts "strong" then make sure u check out that my facts r completely false! 😃 No hard feelings!

One more thing. This is not SPJ thread but as you mentioned "second time" well there are companies that have NOT visited SPJ but have visited other campuses (Microsoft came to SPJ? Wilco?) havent seen the list...but trust me..there are a million more companies that have NOt visited SPJ. I give super credit to SPJ for the placements they had. i made my point that day..didnt want to elaborate coz dont feel the need to mention what needs to be read "between the lines". Inference you see! :D

Again...NO hard feelings. But i personally believe a lot of people (I am not saying ALL) need to grow up a bit.

I have to completely agree with Simba here. Why are you hell bent on categorizing the kind of students who apply to ISB. I have the salary figures at ISB. Depending on the background of the students, salaries last year have been way higher in most of the cases.

Plus ISB is not for kiddies. Its not people who don't know what an ROI is. Its not for people who intend to spend their 'family money' there. Give the people some credit, before you get wiped out and slam dunked for such all encompassing posts.

http://rankings.ft.com/rankings/mba/rankings.html

LOL .. You really should be showing Simba that link. You really shouldn't. LOL

You will learn a LOT.

Again, you are way out of line assuming she doesn't know more than you do. Back up your view points and you'll have an audience anytime. Chiding us, or expecting us to value your posts due to 'shock' value is a waste of our time 😉

Hey PGz.....Thanks for that....

Babu.. ur posts doesnt & cannot offend me... All I say is from a community aspect... We all are here to share knowledge....

Second, as for my posts NOT brimming with "optimism"...well I am not going to type out ALL what I know, all I will say is check...."http://rankings.ft.com/rankings/mba/rankings.html" and then go to any TOP B-School website, compare the fees and compare the amount of money hike a student gets after passing out from that Institute (when we talk of ISB we 'generally' dont talk of freshers) and also compare the amount of fee and the 1st placement salary of students there. You will learn a LOT.

We would be happy if u could type out everything u knew... No, Am not being sarcastic here!!! What I meant was... when u go about making statements... Back them up with facts.... Yes... U have talked about the comparisons now!!! About me learning a LOT... thanks...I did... :!: :!: .... Also...pls do not think its only me.... u are talking to close to 2000 ppl... & pls take note of them when u make posts.... 😃

I am not here to offend anyone...all I do is...write things, what I would suggest you SIMBA is...in future when u find my posts "strong" then make sure u check out that my facts r completely false! 😃 No hard feelings!

I know... u are not here to offend anyone babu... but just do not make tangential remarks like earlier ones!!! Write... But completely.... :!: I do not have the time/ inclination to check out whether ur one liner post has enough water... It might be true.. but why dont u go a step further & explain.....

One more thing. This is not SPJ thread but as you mentioned "second time" well there are companies that have NOT visited SPJ but have visited other campuses (Microsoft came to SPJ? Wilco?) havent seen the list...but trust me..there are a million more companies that have NOt visited SPJ. I give super credit to SPJ for the placements they had. i made my point that day..didnt want to elaborate coz dont feel the need to mention what needs to be read "between the lines". Inference you see! :D

Great... U are loaded with info... Fine elaborate them in their respective threads!!!!

Again...NO hard feelings. But i personally believe a lot of people (I am not saying ALL) need to grow up a bit.

Ya... Lot of us need to grow up.. U bet......... :!: :!:

No hard or soft feelings anywhere ...

Simba

Hey Simba, did you finally get around to applying? There's only 4 days to go.

Phynance: you can PM me is you have any doubts about ISB. Since I have applied and done some research, I might be able to help you. Or post all your queries on this board.