ISB 2009 Round 2 & 3 Applicants

Hi Guys, This thread has been created for ISB 2009 Round 2 applicants (for the session starting in April 2009). I started this thread because I felt that the main thread for ISB this year had become too big and might be daunting to anyone w…

Hi Guys,
This thread has been created for ISB 2009 Round 2 applicants (for the session starting in April 2009).

I started this thread because I felt that the main thread for ISB this year had become too big and might be daunting to anyone who is applying to r2 and has just started browing through this forum.

I myself am an Round 1 applicant and am eagerly awaiting the final results this Thursday (20th Nov 2008 ) I would try and help out anyone of you, incase you have any questions on the application process, interview experience etc.

All the best!!

Hi ruchir

same here.. applicant to R1 for ISB... its a gr8 initiative to start a new thread for R2( there isnt a R3... so you may want to rephrase the title of the thread ).. but agreed that the original thread has gone way too long for anyone to browse through 500 odd pages.

R2 applicants... best of luck... pray for us, while you are it 😃

Hi DerivativesGuy,
Thanks for pointing that out. I have corrected the title. You may wish to do the same to your post otherwise people who are replying to your post would inherit the incorrect title mahybe.

All the best guys. I am an R2 applicant. Breaking my head over the "Zumba" essay right now.

This zumba essay is the main essay in my opinion that would influence the ISB committee as to who you are as a person. It is indeed slightly tricky. I am dying to tell everyone how I approached it..... but that after all the admission rounds are over 😃 I can just say that initially it looked tough, but when I sat down to answer it, I knew exactly what I would have done and words came out flowing. Dont mean to boast here guys, but it is true, if you write what you really mean, words just flow out.

ATB, with this essay ! Make or break essay I would say.

Sorry if I am entering silly territory ..... ( I am a doc and this is my first MBA application experience ).

By "taking a stand" ..... does it mean that if I feel that the dam would be environmentally and socially detrimental , I should not go ahead and convince the protestors ?

Or I should assume that my aim is going ahead with the project and I should try to find solutions to do the same without harmful side effects ?

that's the decision you have to make ! 😃 I know there are so many ifs and buts and initially it seems unfair that you have to assume so much. But its a blank slate I guess. You can make any assumptions etc, what ever you feel like. Every word you write, assumption you make would be judged and you would be held accountable for. So its in your interest to write in such a way that shows who you are as a person. I know of ppl who took entirely different stands and both were invited for an interview. I guess its about how well you justify your position and how genuine that position is.

Thanks a lot. Another query I have .... I am being sponsored for this course by my Hospital. Should I mention this somewhere in the optional essay ?

Radiochandra, isn't there a place in the application to mention you are a sponsored candidate ? If not then please do mention in the optional essay. Sponsored candidates are encouraged by ISB and usually have a green channel to the interview (meaning they are guranteed an interview). Its called the Corporate Leadership Immersion Proggrame (CLIP). Its the same as the normal 1 yr MBA (you sit with the same students) but you are not allowed to sit for the placements and you get a guranteed interview call during the admissions process. Call up the adcom and ask about CLIP and how you as an R2 applicant utilise it. Hope this helps

My goodness ..... and I did not know about this .... how ignorant of me ? If this happens, I have to treat u with one big party Ruchir.

Ha ha. Deal. I am sure about CLIP. I personally read its brochure a few months ago. I seriously suggest you call up the adcom tomorrow and ask them about this.

Actually I was able to find CLIP on the website. Search for it in thie PDF. http://www.isb.edu/PGP/File/PGPMBrochure_2009-10.pdf

all,

i will be applying in r2. currently working on the essays..

@ Ruchir: how much weightage do you think is given to the recommendations? i do understand that the entire profile / application matters, but this part is slightly tricky for me.. can you pls throw some light on it? all the best for the results. hope you get through!!

Hi Anupam,
I personally am not sure of the exact weightage for recommendations but I guess they are almost as important as the essays (my guess ofcourse). Typically in international schools (Like Harvard) the admissions committe is usually not impressed by the designation of your recommender as much as what he has to say. I would assume ISB should follow the same spirit. But then, in the Indian context, designations usually do influence people, so its difficult for me to say.
I got one reco from my Project Manager and one reco from my manager in our US office. The recommendations should be consistent with what you have written in your application.

Does this clear your doubt to some extent ?

Let me know.

Cheers

Wonderful initiative for R-2 guys
Ruchir and other contributers-wish you all good luck.
This week is make or break for all of you.

This is how we shd be proud of-by contributing for fellow friends for the school,indirectly. other thread became a mess in last 15 days:eyepop:
No offence intended.

keep it up.

Thanks cfaking123 for approving of this. Got a few R1 puys on the edge by creating a "rival" thread. Trust me there is no such intent. I think by the end of this week you should be able to get some gyan from fellow puys who actually made it (me may or may not included ). Passing the baton to R2 ppl now to keep the forum relevant and alive 😃 ATB

A recent survey from the main R1 thread:-

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/international-indian-mba-schools-accepting/29126-isb-2009-aspirants-454.html#post1273021

Thanks cfaking123 for approving of this. Got a few R1 puys on the edge by creating a "rival" thread. Trust me there is no such intent. I think by the end of this week you should be able to get some gyan from fellow puys who actually made it (me may or may not included ). Passing the baton to R2 ppl now to keep the forum relevant and alive 😃 ATB

A recent survey from the main R1 thread:-

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/international-indian-mba-schools-accepting/29126-isb-2009-aspirants-454.html#post1273021

ruchir,
i appreciate you starting this thread. though we have lot to learn from the other thread, going thr' 500 pages to keep us close to the r2 applicants was a challenge.now this thread will help us to keep up with r2 and we have a choice to go to r1 guys too. good it is. thank you indeed.

all,

i will be applying in r2. currently working on the essays..

@ Ruchir: how much weightage do you think is given to the recommendations? i do understand that the entire profile / application matters, but this part is slightly tricky for me.. can you pls throw some light on it? all the best for the results. hope you get through!!

Also a related Q

at the end of the day, we all understand its the total profile that counts.
you have to be different from the guys in the same field
no two similar profile will be chosen in the class of 560. hence the i/v call is expected even with 560 with say 15 yrs in NGO?

There is weightage in every segment.

does it mean 12 yrs exp(from not so traditional field like IT,Finance) will get maxm points in this category whereas 2 yrs guy will get minm?

also 760 GMAT will get 9/10 whereas 600 will get 1/10

what weightage is given to additional study like CFA(USA), etc?
we need to brianstorm. so just my 2 cents

finally i could upload my 300 dpi snap
its looks nice

At what point will the evaluators receive the link to fill out the evaluations? Is it after submitting the application or is it immediately after entering the contact info of the evaluators.

Thanks.