ISB 2006 - Make or Break

Hi ISB-2006 aspirants, I took GMAT last year in December … could manage 720… have a so so acads from a decent college ( DCE ) … work experience of 4 years that too in the demographically most challenged dept… (IT) but of…

Hi ISB-2006 aspirants,

I took GMAT last year in December ..... could manage 720......
have a so so acads from a decent college ( DCE ) .....
work experience of 4 years that too in the demographically most
challenged dept... (IT) but of course in a renowned company ......

Hve some experience of International voluntary sevices
and currently member of UK MENSA club ( since iam currently posted in UK )
(supposedly a renowned club)

very much interested in ISB....
just wanted to get the feel of this year's competition ........

Abhi....

DON'T BE AFRAID THAT THE WORLD WILL END TODAY.......
ITS ALREADY TOMORROW IN AUSTRALIA.

Hey Abhi,

Looks like you have a good profile. Put your best in the essays and you have a great chance.

I am also applying to isb.

Tarun

Hey can any of you give an overview of the admission requirements of ISB
1.minimum work experience , type of experience - will own business also count?

2.What is the application process- - when to apply , last dates for application submission

3. Min GMAT score (is CAT score also accepted, if yes then does have to be of the same year or a previous score will do ??

Thanks
Anshul

Hey can any of you give an overview of the admission requirements of ISB
1.minimum work experience , type of experience - will own business also count?

2.What is the application process- - when to apply , last dates for application submission

3. Min GMAT score (is CAT score also accepted, if yes then does have to be of the same year or a previous score will do ??

Thanks
Anshul

hi Anshul

You will get all your answers at www.isb.edu

Regards
Nihit.
Hey Abhi,

Looks like you have a good profile. Put your best in the essays and you have a great chance.

I am also applying to isb.

Tarun

Well the grass is always greener on the other side :))
So whats ur side of story Tarun.......
Well the grass is always greener on the other side :))

So whats ur side of story Tarun.......

Didn't get u sunshines... could you please elaborate.
PgpxGuy Says
Didn't get u sunshines... could you please elaborate.

I mean .... whtz ur profile like n hve u taken the GMAT or still
waiting for the Dday.......

Abhi
I mean .... whtz ur profile like n hve u taken the GMAT or still
waiting for the Dday.......

Abhi

Hi Abhi,

I got Gmat - 720 with 7 years of work ex in IT and IT consulting ..... these days doing consulting in the demand chain management space. 3 years international.
Hi Abhi,

I got Gmat - 720 with 7 years of work ex in IT and IT consulting ..... these days doing consulting in the demand chain management space. 3 years international.

Hey thats superb man :thumbsup:
hey all ISB aspirants,

i have some questions, pls discuss:

1. i went thru ISB web site n it says tht even GRE scores are valid...if it is true then how does ISB distinguishes between GRE n GMAT scores? i had appeared for GRE in 2002, well its valid but tht was for MS in US of A....does ISB looks in all such facts?
Yes they accept GRE scores and consider at par (or nearly at par) with GMAT scores. They even accept CAT scores but u need to give ur GMAT before u join ISB(for CAT only) .

2. Though they say they strongly recommend 2 yrs of exp...but they admit ppl less than 2 yrs of exp...what is percent of students less than 2 yrs?
Last i had heard that there were only 2 Freshers in the ISB batch,one was the youngest CA of india and other IIT gold medalist. So u can infer what kind of ppl they take if u dont have work ex.

3. FAQ says "our fifth batch will commence mid april 2006" ...didnt get this fifth batch? will some one explain ?
ISB started in July2001 and first batch passed out in July2002. U can calculate now
hey

thanx for tht quick reply dude....
well my 2nd question wasnt all tht for freshers..but less than 2 years....i just wanted to know how adamant ISB is for this 2 yrs criteria
and this 2 yrs is at the time of applying or joining ISB....yes coz even 4 mths make my exp as 2 yrs...
so shall i put my INR 2000 this yr?????
---quite determined to say "bye" to s/w indutry this yr:grab:

It all boils down to the following factors :-

1) GMAT - A score that will catch their eye and gives a boost to ur application . i.e at least 710+
2) Essays - ur application should reflect ur personality. Strong essays can bring u atleast an intrw call.
3) How convincing u r - U will be asked questions about ur work ex and ur reason for the switch . If u are able to convince them on both counts then 4 mnths or 4 yrs really wont matter.

IMO
1) and 2) are attainable to an extent. Real prob comes in the intrw when u have to defend urself for an early switch.

Another reason that less than 2 yrs is not taken in good light is the placement prospects of the candidate. U pay approx 15L at ISB and would certainly expect a pay-package no less than 8-9L CTC. But with low work ex it would be difficult to demand such a paypackage. I have heard of cases where ppl were provided CTC as 7L.

I would suggest that give ur GMAT now and take a good shot at CAT.

yes, u r right..

well, u said a score of 710+ in GMAT is well to catch attention...good essays n all r of course required...

do u have any idea abt GRE score tht ll catch attention..i had appeared for GRE in 2002 (score is valid till 2007, i guess)...got 2080 q 800 a 750 v 530 ..well i really dont know how much this is enuf against eq of 700 + of GMAT....shd i take GMAT again:huh:

can u tell me...????

and yes, CAT is must for all s/w i guess...its now one's way of showing how young n studious one is to all than wish to pursue MBA...hahahahhaha...just kidding....

i say go ahead and give ur GMAT. u still hve 5 mnths before the first deadline and 3 yr old GRE score is not exactly inspiring.
ooops!!!!!!
so again computer based test...
btw how many $ firangis ll charge for this GMAT.....and are dates available till nov??????

250$ :-(

dont think so dates are a prob.. they have tests from mon-sat for slots 9-1 and 1-5..

Hi Abhi,

BLIMEY Tarun ........ thats awesome.... u hve a grt platform .... just need
a little push frm ur essays.....

Just to add to what others have said.

imo, ISB adcom is not adamant on the 2 yr WE constraint. Its just that majority (say 95% +) people who come to ISB have >= 2 yrs of Work Ex. so when somebody with less work Ex applies, some standard sets of questions are asked. Like Why ISB & why not IIMs, etc. & yes, again, some freshers admitted in the past did have exceptional qualifications but that doesnt mean that if you have less than 2 yrs of WE & no exceptional qualification, you have nil chances.
Understand this whole apping game & see what diff institutes are looking for. Then if you can position yourself, you are game.

Just to add to what others have said.

imo, ISB adcom is not adamant on the 2 yr WE constraint. Its just that majority (say 95% +) people who come to ISB have >= 2 yrs of Work Ex. so when somebody with less work Ex applies, some standard sets of questions are asked. Like Why ISB & why not IIMs, etc. & yes, again, some freshers admitted in the past did have exceptional qualifications but that doesnt mean that if you have less than 2 yrs of WE & no exceptional qualification, you have nil chances.
Understand this whole apping game & see what diff institutes are looking for. Then if you can position yourself, you are game.

point taken man............ i guess this situation suits me rihgt...... have a 700 gmat score ..... 1 yr of work ex till date .... will hv 2 yrs by d time i will join isb .. so i do meet their requirements .... i am working wid my dad for d past 14 mnths ....... i dunt think dat qualify as a really gud wrk ex . but still giving it a shot
BLIMEY Tarun ........ thats awesome.... u hve a grt platform .... just need
a little push frm ur essays.....

Thanks Nihit and Abhi...

Its that I didn't realize that I was getting older. It was when I realized that I have 7 years of work-ex and I have to take up management responsibilities sooner than later, I decided to go for mba.

Looks like I need to change my id from pgpxguy as I am equally inclined towards both of these schools. Its that I didn't find much info on pgpx so I decided to take up this name. Also at this time I am only thinking about pgpx. Will finish my apps today and then I am free for some time...

Hey Nihit.... what are ur stats....
Thanks Nihit and Abhi...

Hey Nihit.... what are ur stats....

hi pgpx,

I just completed my Bachelors of Management Studies securing 76% and now working as a Business manager in Medical Tourism firm, Planning for corresspondence Mcom rgt now and than will Move ahead with MBA from India or Abroad.

Regards
Nihit.

Hi Capreal26!

need a bit of help on the essaying part...can u pls throw some light on what are the typical number/topics of essay (for ISB). Im only aiming at ISB..Will be giving GMAT mid Sept. im unclear on how and when to start working on essays, do the topics change every year??..cudnt find much info on that...
pls help.
My profile-CommGrad, DU; 4yrs work ex (2 in Uk) last 2yrs with a top MF AMC in Delhi; avg acads 😞 which makes it imp for me to get good Gmat & strong essays!