Isb 2005-2006

Hi, I don’t want to start another thread called ISB 2005-2006. I am planning to apply to ISB for the academic year starting 2005. I went through the information provided in the ISB website and I want clarification on one aspect menti…

Hi,

I don't want to start another thread called ISB 2005-2006.

I am planning to apply to ISB for the academic year starting 2005.
I went through the information provided in the ISB website and I want clarification on one aspect mentioned there.
The website says that "The reputation of the UnderGrad institution where the applicant studied will be considered". Any idea on how much weightage this is given?
I am not sure of the reputation of the institution where I studied, but at that time I did not have much choice. Hope it does not backfire on me now.

My details are :
Currently working in a Telecom Firm in Bangalore
5+ years of IT experience (Bangalore and Abroad)

Studied under the University of Madras
Ranked 6th in the University and first in the class

Nothing extraordinary about the extra curricular activities, though I have done enough to fill up the pages.

GMAT score of 720. AWA 5.
Wrote GMAT last November, but did not have any plans at that time.

Is it worth for me to give it a shot?
Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards

dude, prolly you shud start a new thread... will make it easier for us to track it.

thnx,
Uday

dude, prolly you shud start a new thread... will make it easier for us to track it.

thnx,
Uday

Yes... I agree with you.. Older thread would have been more cluttered!! 😃 Carry on abt ISB travails here....

Simba

Now, coming to the question...

Currently working in a Telecom Firm in Bangalore
5+ years of IT experience (Bangalore and Abroad)
University of Madras
Ranked 6th in the University and first in the class

Nothing extraordinary about the extra curricular activities, though I have done enough to fill up the pages.

GMAT score of 720. AWA 5.
Wrote GMAT last November, but did not have any plans at that time.

You have an instant interview call pal... What are u waiting for... Just put in STRONG essays... Thass all!! 😃 😃

I went through the information provided in the ISB website and I want clarification on one aspect mentioned there.
The website says that "The reputation of the UnderGrad institution where the applicant studied will be considered". Any idea on how much weightage this is given?
I am not sure of the reputation of the institution where I studied, but at that time I did not have much choice. Hope it does not backfire on me now.

Hmmm... Just put these things to the back of ur mind.. U have everything that it takes to get into ISB.. Just give it ur best shot.... 😃 😃

All the Best

Simba

After seeing your profile and seeing that you ahve doubts about admission in ISB i must be really petrified!!!BTW no workex but i see it is a long road ahead for me to think of ISB

5 yrs of work ex is more than enough to suffice for ur univ education... u already have a gud score... all u need is to start working on ur essays witha state of mind that u have to make it.... BOL...

please anyone can tell me about the deadline for the submission of application for 2005-2006..

Um.. I think the second deadline is in Feb 2005. I think. Check out isb.edu for more details 😃

thanx PG.....

Hi folks,

Thanks for the encouragement. Will surely try and keep you guys updated.

BTW, does anyone have the list of essays that were required by ISB for admissions last year ?

Regards

great_one Says
BTW, does anyone have the list of essays that were required by ISB for admissions last year ?

Hi,

Here are last year's essay questions

1. Evaluate your application and provide a critical assessment of it. Outline factors that might differentiate you from others from a similar background. (600 words)

2. You have just been appointed to head the team to build a dam across the River Zumba. Success in this project is paramount for the subsistence of your company and would earn you a promotion. Failure would mean that your company would be bankrupt and will take along with it its investors and its employees. Building a dam across the river would result in deforestation of a portion of the rainforests and would destabilize the tribal and wild life at Zumba. There is huge resistance from environmental groups against your project. You are meeting the head of the resistance movement in one hour wherein you would have to communicate your decision. Describe what you would do and why? You will be evaluated on the creativity and practicality of your solution. (650)

3a ISB places a lot of emphasis on teamwork. Tell us about your experiences in working as a part of a team. Your essay should talk about the difficulties that you faced and how you overcame them.

3b How do you define leadership?

3c Post ISB where do you think you would like to be professionally.

I think these three were 250 words each. I don't really remember the exact word limits, the ones given are just estimates.

All the best :).

Mansur

hey pg!
gr8 post!
😲 😲 Bye the way is work ex an essentialcriteria to get into ISB. Just a small doubt!!!

regards
harry

want_2_do_cat wrote:
plz can anybody tell me how to post my query on it? and how to check my replies?

You can leave a message at the blog and the person replies to it.
There is some information available at the BusinessWeek Forums. You might find that useful. And 2 students from the current batch answer questions in that forum.

Work Ex is preferable. ISB has a few students in every batch who do not have any work ex.

And thanks Iceman for the list of essays.

Regards

Thanx for your suggestion

actually i m working in SPice mohali and want to go for higher studies ut not able to decide that whether to go for GMAT r CAT

plz could you help me in deciding my future

actually i m working in SPice mohali and want to go for higher studies ut not able to decide that whether to go for GMAT r CAT

Hmm.. CAT & GMAT.. arent they completely different!!! Check out programmes on the web & try to decide which programme suits u!! Also, if it is GMAT .. either in India or abroad, u really need some quality work experience!! 😃

want_2_do_cat Says
plz could you help me in deciding my future

Phew.. strong words pal!! Dont let a bunch of guys decide ur future.. Others can only give opinions.. Decision needs to be finally urs

Simba

hi guys,

me too planning to go for ISB 2005. but after goin thru this thread, i feel i shouldnt.

profession: chartered accountant
workex:(will 3yrs articleship be counted ??) 6 months till date.hmm..till feb 2005 if tht is countd then 1.1yrs.

what i have understand from ISB threads is that min. wor ex thy r lookin for is 3-4 yrs!!!! ami rite ?? should i give it a go ?? or work for another yr & give in 2006..but tht would make it only 2 yrs..do i stand a chance ??

just one request, lets have only one thread on ISB..rather than 5-6...tht would be convinent for all of us..

thanx

hey silversurfer,

The very fact that you are from a Non-IT background should help quiet a lot.

From what lil I know abt ISB, ur articleship will also be counted. And to tell you the truth, it all depends on how u project urself and how u project the ork u've done during those 3 yrs.

So, dont be disheartened by the 3-4 yrs mentioned here. Thats more of a pre-req for us IT doods n dudettes. 'Cuz majority of the ppl joining, 39% to be precise, are from IT and Telecom. So I need something to differentiate me from the John working in the co next door. 😐

HTH.

And hey one more thing, they are starting the campus visits again in Sept. If possible go for it and sit thro some classes, might help you!

You can mail at [email protected] for campus visits.

thanx for the email id. i will try 2 take off from office & attend...tht will give a better idea.

should i start preparing now for GMAT ???? . from what i have understood from the thread 700+ score along with strong essays & stuff should get me in ... hope i am rite..

guess the sooner i start , the better..

thanx & regards