is this is a common query or am i just random?

Hi I have a question in my head - actually its a series of questions - and i really need some opinions and advice on it - just to get a sense of what people’s experiences have been and what not basically ill set the groundwork… i pas…

Hi

I have a question in my head - actually its a series of questions - and i really need some opinions and advice on it - just to get a sense of what people's experiences have been and what not

basically ill set the groundwork... i passed out of xl in 2009 doing hr.. i have no workex from before my mba... 2009 was a bad year but i still got a pretty good indian mnc.. and a pretty good hr profile.. basically im handling my own job and a 2 level senior job alongside for a fair bit of time now...

but i dont want to do hr... i had no workex before so i really didnt know what it was all about.. i want to change my field you know to maybe fin/mar/strategy preferably fin.. my thoughts are to apply abroad but that is where the questions are so im just going to shoot... if you have any thoughts on this please reply i'd love to hear them

1. as far as specialization goes, say for fin, most specialized courses at Haas, Princeton, LBS need 2 years work ex in fin which i dont have and im not gonna get. Are there are any courses in the top 10 schools in US/Europe which are not so strict?
2. In case I can't get into a specialized course, the other option is a 2nd mba - then does it make sense to go for a 2 year one or a 1 year one? bear in mind im already 24 and by the time i go (in fall 2012) ill be 26? does age make really that much of a diff?
3. for a 2 yr program, your targets would be all good schools. but which are the best schools for a 1 yr mba - in us and europe?
4. do placements make any diff for a one year mba vis a vis a 2 year one - even though the 1 year guy may have a previous mba from a pretty good school - at least thats what i think xl is....
5. now i know i have to find funding for this. is it tougher to get funding for a 2 year program? whats the basic diff in payback time if i can take a full loan for a 1 yr program vis a vis a 2 year program? Also, loan amounts would include living expenses so that just makes it tougher
6. how do foreign b-schools view applicants looking for a second mba in a diff domain? this is just a general questions so let me know your experiences
7. whats the cutoff to get into say.. an insead or an LBS with 3 years work ex and a previous mba? and how much does a really good score negate your SOP and profile and stuff? so does a 770 and a okayish SOP and profile beat a 710 with a pretty good SOP and profile? or is it vice versa?

these are just questions i have in my head... forgive my rambling... cheers and thanks for reading...

Chillesh-bhai,

Welcome to the forum.

Many of these questions have been answered on other threads. If you spend some time searching for the right ones, you'll get many more perspectives.

I'll just address one query you have. The situation that you are in - one degree in hand, but not interested spending the rest of your life in this area - isn't very unsual.

A second MBA might be an option after a few years. People manage to switch lanes within their organisations.

So I'd say, spend some time in whatever you are doing currently and keep looking out for opportunities in other areas within the same org.