Is MBA only about Placements

Hi guys I have been following PG from a long time now and am also an occasional contributor. There are various threads about Admits to various Indian, Asian, EU and US B-Schools. I find that all these threads mostly discuss Placements and S…

Hi guys

I have been following PG from a long time now and am also an occasional contributor.
There are various threads about Admits to various Indian, Asian, EU and US B-Schools. I find that all these threads mostly discuss Placements and Salary post MBA.
There are hardly few and far posts related to the quality of education in various B Schools.
Would it be good to discuss about education and long term advantages by doing an MBA in Asian schools?
Is it worth discussing about the faculty and the teaching methodologies?

Thanks
V

Hi guys

I have been following PG from a long time now and am also an occasional contributor.
There are various threads about Admits to various Indian, Asian, EU and US B-Schools. I find that all these threads mostly discuss Placements and Salary post MBA.
There are hardly few and far posts related to the quality of education in various B Schools.
Would it be good to discuss about education and long term advantages by doing an MBA in Asian schools?
Is it worth discussing about the faculty and the teaching methodologies?

Thanks
V

Nice initiative. But then is there anything we can do about it as students/aspirants other than just pulling out some words and hunky dory sentences in PG or elsewhere? It is the attitude of us students/aspirants that needs to be changed first!

B schools in India are glorified job agencies. Unless and until the job of being a professor/faculty in a B-school can be made attractive enough to compete with the white collar corporate jobs, there is not going to be any improvement in the quality of faculty and teaching.

Again in quality of teaching, read the article on the main page in PG about research publications. Unless such a tendency is developed/cultivated for such activities no improvement can be seen in the system as a whole.

This is regarding Indian B schools. Now looking into the Asian, US or UK B- schools, the top ones with well known names, admit people with work experience only. A minimum work experience of 3-4 years is sort of mandatory to be eligible and majority of the courses involve only 1 year curriculum. That itself shows a belief and understanding that MBA is about career progression and value addition and not just fat pay packages. So the teaching methodology and faculty also tuned accordingly to be purposeful and good in quality.

So looking at it that ways, the likes of ISB, GLIM etc are going to give IIM, XLRI etc a tough competition and again, as mentioned in that article, helping in bringing about a necessary change in them.