Is it Worth Doing an MBA from JBIMS after 4 years of Exp.

Hi All, I am currently working in a billion dollar IT company. I have around 4.5 years of experience. I am drawing a salary of around 5 lakhs. I just wanted to know what are the prospects of doing an MBA from Jamanala Bajaj, Mumbai. Will I …

Hi All,

I am currently working in a billion dollar IT company. I have around 4.5 years
of experience. I am drawing a salary of around 5 lakhs. I just wanted to know what are the prospects of doing an MBA from Jamanala Bajaj, Mumbai. Will I add any value to my resume. Doing an MBA has been my cherished dream. I am appying in many colleges, but if I land up in JBIMS should I go for it. Also what can be my salary after I pass out. from JBIMS

Regards
abalahar

Billion dollar Indian IT company means u r either working fro Infy or Wipro..
Regarding JBIMS,highest sal is 14 lacs....
U will obiously land up in a much better company after completing ur MBA from JB....
but it is really diff to land in JB..

I think there is no doubt in that , you shld be taking up JBIMS as an MBA helps u climb the corporate ladder at a much faster pace. And yeah for ur kind of info mr anu , INFY and Wipro are not the only Billion $ S/W company in India . There is another one called TCS , which is teh first indian s/w Billion $ comany , it became billion $ last year itself. Seems like u have to do lot of cathing up with ur GK.

JBIMS is a good school , no matter what the rankings etc might suggest. The recruiters think highly of it, and that is what is most important. So JB will definitely give you a good opening , which is so important. Plus since you already have 4 yrs of work ex in IT, I guess u will have amazing oppurtunities if u decide to get back to IT after JB 😃 U will ofcourse be eligible for laterals and should be looking at a package of 7.5+ should you go back to the IT industry.

There is just one thing which I'd like to bring to ur notice though.JBIMS still isnt an autonomous institution. It is still affiliated to Mumbai Univ. There is a proposal to make it autonomous, but I am sure its a good 4-5 years before that going to materialise(For eg VJTI(top most engg college under mumbai univ) was supposed to become autonomous in 1999, but the proposal has finally been cleared now, in 2004).
I believe autonomy is important for a top college, since it allows the college the necessary freedom is designing the course structure/contents.
JB however has an amzing ALUMNI network being an old college. Plus it has the advantage of being in Mumbai and hence amazing industry interface. Most of their lectures are conducted by people from the industry.

All said and done, its a great place to do ur MBA from. And there shudnt really be any doubt in ur mind, should you get thro . As someone pointed out, getting into JB is really difficult, especially if ur a Outside Maharashtra Candidate 😞

ATB

Arunava says:

Billion dollar Indian IT company means u r either working fro Infy or Wipro..

Well TCS was the first s/w company to reach a billion dollars...happened way back in march 2003. this year they shud touch $1.6b. Just that they choose not to make a big noise about it ala Infy

Hi,
JBIMS is a really old college with an excellent alumni network and good visiting faculty.I would suggest that you apply as there is no harm in applying for it.In the event you get in,Take it.
BTW how do you plan to apply?

You could also look at a foreign MBA as an alternate option.

All the Best!Hope the decision u make is the right one!

O the I.E.

Simply put 2 things :

1) what makes you so sure of getting into Bajaj ? Its more difficult to get there than any of the IIMs (atleast statistically)

2) How many people do you know with an MBA degree from Bajaj vis-a-vis number of people working in $1bn companies with 4.5yrs exp ? I mean anyone can have the profile you have, but not many can boast of an MBA degree from JBIMS.

I don't know if I got through what I meant.

All the best !

Arun

I think there is no doubt in that , you shld be taking up JBIMS as an MBA helps u climb the corporate ladder at a much faster pace. And yeah for ur kind of info mr anu , INFY and Wipro are not the only Billion $ S/W company in India . There is another one called TCS , which is teh first indian s/w Billion $ comany , it became billion $ last year itself. Seems like u have to do lot of cathing up with ur GK.

But why is this fight about if he is in TCS/Wipro or Infy..!!

He never mentioned that he is working in Billion Dollar INDIAN company..
So no need to classify it.. !! If he would have liked to tell the name, he would have done so in the first post itself..!!
If he does not want to tell..!! Just leave it..!!

About JBIBS.. I would say.. I know of ppl in SPJain with WEx of 5-8 years and yes there are quite a many..!! Certainly JBIBS is equivalent to SPJ, though they do not make so much noise about it..!! But during the placement season their avg salaries in the range of 6.5 L so ..!!

And also with 4.5 years of Exp.. you would be notching up lateral placements with certainly higher than the Avg salary of the college..!! 😃

So I would advice you to join it ..!

Don't pursue an Indian MBA if u ultimately wanna stay in IT.
The 'opportunity cost' is high, esp. since u already earn well.
U would do well to go abroad on an IT assignment, earn in foreign currency and do yr MBA there.

there one question to be raised here ...
1. Can u go abroad

if one is yes then u take a shot a GMAT
if no then JB rocks dude compltely fine i know its affliated with the univesity and that can be a problem but where JB beats a lot of school is the ALu mni is is one of the oldest schools in India when u join a compnay its very important that some seniors in the company are part of the alumni ... so the bonding is very important ..... that why IIM a , IIM c, rock beacuse of the alumni where ever u go whcih ever sector u will find guys from these colleges........ tomoorow if i get in one really good college i would have a soft corner for that person beacuse he/ she went to the same school like me .......
++ The return on investment in Bajaj is very high .. like FMS .....
to name a few big guns from bajaj .... MAni shankar , Lalita gupte (icici),
Prashonto Banerjee(Chairman Gail), Vinita Balli (Ceo Brittania)

Don't pursue an Indian MBA if u ultimately wanna stay in IT.
The 'opportunity cost' is high, esp. since u already earn well.
U would do well to go abroad on an IT assignment, earn in foreign currency and do yr MBA there.

Look, i agree with SEH. In fact i am exactly the same boat as you are, just that i am not in IT but in chemicals. Honestly i dont think taking up an MBA in ANY indian inst except IIM/ISB is good enough for you. Look at it this way:

1. You are earning 5 lacs now. In two years time (in fact almost three), with hikes of 30% you'll be at seven plus with ease by continuing to work.

2. I dont think JB gives 7+ salaries to all the blokes. In fact not even IIM does that. The highest salaries are no doubt high, but the majority is a 5-6 lakh category

3. In another two yrs, you'll be at managerial level, and very very few (read none) indian schools can place you into a managerial cadre directly.

4. Like SEH says, opp cost is high. 4 lakhs of fees plus expenses and 10-15 lakhs in lost earnings.

Having said all this, an MBA is fantastic value add and makes sense if you are looking for a specifc Business oriented profile. or if you want to get out of IT.

So my suggestion.: Apply only for ISB. Nowhere else.

Aree yaar... 1st get the admission letter in hand... and then think abt whether to join or not... Iam not underestimating you, but as someone pointed out... it statistically v.v.v.tough for non-maharashtrians.

viceguy Says
Aree yaar... 1st get the admission letter in hand... and then think abt whether to join or not... Iam not underestimating you, but as someone pointed out... it statistically v.v.v.tough for non-maharashtrians.

not olways easy to do this buddy... ther's tremendous amt of investment in terms of preparation time... better 2go ahead knowing v well whether u wanna take it up or not

are u sure u wanna do MBA only for money....
well in that case i dont think it is a good enug choice...
probably u should apply fir H1 this year and land urself into the silicon valley..... but if u r looking for something else... then go ahead join JB...