Is it true that an app may get rejected on the basis of gmat score alone??

hello people ! newb here and i have a very specific ques. I recently scored 700 on my gmat (q47 v40). Now i have 7 years of work-ex, more than 4 yrs of which is international. However, while researching and shortlisting schools to …

hello people !

newb here and i have a very specific ques.

I recently scored 700 on my gmat (q47 v40). Now i have 7 years of work-ex, more than 4 yrs of which is international.

However, while researching and shortlisting schools to apply to, i was told by someone that there is a very high probability that top 15 schools may not even open my app since my score is well below their usual india average. This because indian IT professional demographic is over-subscribed and these ppl usually score in vicinity of 750.

How far do you guys agree with the assertion? Is it a real possibility that an application can get rejected just on the basis of gmat scores with ad-com not even having a look at the quality of work-ex, essays, reco etc?

I recently scored 700 on my gmat (q47 v40). Now i have 7 years of work-ex, more than 4 yrs of which is international.

However, while researching and shortlisting schools to apply to, i was told by someone that there is a very high probability that top 15 schools may not even open my app since my score is well below their usual india average. This because indian IT professional demographic is over-subscribed and these ppl usually score in vicinity of 750.

How far do you guys agree with the assertion? Is it a real possibility that an application can get rejected just on the basis of gmat scores with ad-com not even having a look at the quality of work-ex, essays, reco etc?

I beg to differ. 680 or more should be "comfort-zone" for top-15 except H/S/W/K (720 or more). Add 7 yr work exp. You have good numbers with you... Why trouble yourself??? Apply to where you feel you are the "fit" (apart from gmat scores). Leave the rest to adcoms. If your overall profile is good, they will admit you. Self-confidence (or lack of it) shows up in application.

Absolutely agree with Mumbai Dude.

GMAT is just 'ONE' of the factors and probably 25% of your app weightage is given to it. Essays, recos, ints all are equally important and BTW 700 is a very decent score and would take care of your GMAT part. Dont worry about it at all and use the same energy that you would waste in rather writing your essays and strengthening your app

Dont worry about your GMAT I would say 😃

hello people !

dude who is this 'someone' ...... come on man gv ur self a break .... 700 is a decent enuf score even for the best schools ....... just go ahead with ur apping with full confidence and dont pay heeds to such baseless and illogical notions ......... ppl with a score of even 650 get thru the best schools .... its all about selling urself thru ur essays and overall profile ......... and GMAT score is jst a part of it ....... thr is no Indian or African average as such !!!

Cheers and congrats fr the score !!! 😃

thx for your reply mumbai_dude, chango & KirtiS.

And yes thats what i thought too, that a good fit with the school is much more important than just gmat scores however i guess i was caught in a bad frame of mind when i was talking to that guy.

Anyway pls keep replies pouring in. I would really appreciate some insight from members of the forum

edited : to include more posters

thx for your reply mumbai_dude, chango & KirtiS.

And yes thats what i thought too, that a good fit with the school is much more important than just gmat scores however i guess i was caught in a bad frame of mind when i was talking to that guy.

Anyway pls keep replies pouring in. I would really appreciate some insight from members of the forum

edited : to include more posters

dude gmat is one of the things in whole process go ahead and apply ... i am apllying with 600 ... 700 is a great score.... man ... the whole process is much more detailed than just the gmat....so dont worry .... wtire a killer application...

Am still debating whether we need a separate thread for this or should I club this into the GMAT Query Centre thread.

Opinions/Views/COmments solicited.

hello people !

How far do you guys agree with the assertion?

Interestingly, it coould keep you out from a lower ranked school! This is because a lower rank school would want high-GMAT students to boost their rankings.
Susie Derkins Says
Interestingly, it coould keep you out from a lower ranked school! This is because a lower rank school would want high-GMAT students to boost their rankings.

this makes sense only for schools way down the pecking order. about 35-50 i would say.
other than that i wud say 700 is a "stellar" score by american standards so needn't fret anyway 😃
hello people !

Wow man 700 is an awesome score. First CONGO DUDE!! Second, relax, dont listen to some one!! Just go ahead and apply!! Rest leave it to God. Am sure you essay will be really solid as you will be briefing about you 7yr journey in the corporate world!!

i really dont see the need to worry!! Just be confident! 😃
Susie Derkins Says

Haha. So yer saying 700 is not good enough for the so-called lower-tier schools? Where the average GMAT is generally in the range of 650-690? Makes complete sense to me. Not.
hello people !

Hey,
Bottom line, the GMAT IS a very important of the aspect. However, a score of 700 is more than good enough to put right smack in the ballpark. In fact, with your work-experience, I'd say you'd be a very attractive candidate at first glance to any top school. Now all you need to do is show them you ARE one. How? Nail your essays, get good recos, and blitz the interview.

The GMAT is only a vehicle. While a great score will ensure that the AdComms take a good look at the rest of yer app, it cannot get you any further. Having said that, a *very* low GMAT will definitely count against you. But a 700 GMAT will get you past any cut-offs (if there are any), and the onus is then on the rest of the application. So stop fretting needlessly, and build a strong app. 😃

Thanks a lot for the vote of confidence people !!

You guys rocks

I am concentrating on my essays and recos right now. Will keep you all posted on how it goes !

thks again!