Is it advisable to go to US without work exp?

Guys, Im a final year BCom student. My profile: 10th CBSE - 82% 12 CBSE - 84% Degree - 75% (so far) Gud Extra curr. I do not have any work experience. Im looking for postgraduate courses (MS) in marketing/finance. I am worried about…

Guys,
Im a final year BCom student. My profile:
10th CBSE - 82%
12 CBSE - 84%
Degree - 75% (so far)
Gud Extra curr.

I do not have any work experience. Im looking for postgraduate courses (MS) in marketing/finance. I am worried about job prospects in US after completing the MS degree. Any suggested univ/courses?

Guys,
Im a final year BCom student. My profile:
10th CBSE - 82%
12 CBSE - 84%
Degree - 75% (so far)
Gud Extra curr.

I do not have any work experience. Im looking for postgraduate courses (MS) in marketing/finance. I am worried about job prospects in US after completing the MS degree. Any suggested univ/courses?

No, not advisable.
baccardisprite Says
No, not advisable.

Dear baccardisprite dude,
You seem to be in switzerland. could you tell me some courses / univ there? What are the job prospects in Switzerland?
rookie21 Says
Dear baccardisprite dude, You seem to be in switzerland. could you tell me some courses / univ there? What are the job prospects in Switzerland?

Job prospects for inexperienced people from outside Switzerland, UK or the EU are very very slim. Speaking the local languages (French or German) might make things just a bit easier, but don't count on it. I got my job on the back of 8 years of experience + MBA.

Google & check out websites of the University of Zurich, Berne, St.Gallen, Geneva. These are the strongest available that deliver Finance (M.Sc) programs. Do note however, that some of these might be available only in German or French.

I don't know if this is true for MS Finance courses, but wouldn't you need to have a 4-yr undergrad degree to do an MS in the USA?

Barricuda Says
I don't know if this is true for MS Finance courses, but wouldn't you need to have a 4-yr undergrad degree to do an MS in the USA?

No, some univ do not insist on 4 year undergrads. I wrote to Univ of Buffalo (New York) and they dint seem to insist on this 4 year thing.
rookie21 Says
No, some univ do not insist on 4 year undergrads. I wrote to Univ of Buffalo (New York) and they dint seem to insist on this 4 year thing.

Some insist, some don't care.

There are colleges which accept people without work experience as well, but you need to prove to them that the rest of your application is so simply outstanding, that the huge disadvantage of not having work experience is negated.

Also, you may want to introspect a little bit and try out a job for a year or two. It will probably change your mind about what you want to do in your career- and help you zero in on your future. That would further assist you in picking and getting into the b-school that is RIGHT for you, and not just any b-school that accepts you.

All the best.

Also, you may want to introspect a little bit and try out a job for a year or two. It will probably change your mind about what you want to do in your career- and help you zero in on your future. That would further assist you in picking and getting into the b-school that is RIGHT for you, and not just any b-school that accepts you.

All the best.

Nonedone dude,
You seem to be right on the introspection part. Is work experience for 8 mts to a year enough to find a job in the USA?

hi rookie, also chk the MS-computational fin course of Carnegie Melon/Tepper. suposed to be gr8.

bizskool Says
hi rookie, also chk the MS-computational fin course of Carnegie Melon/Tepper. suposed to be gr8.

sure bizcool, will chk tht out..

how good are MS courses in marketing/finance? and these are two DIVERSE streams.

yeah i know tht.but i havent decided which one to take yet.
you see, i feel im suited to both.

yeah i know tht.but i havent decided which one to take yet.
you see, i feel im suited to both.

MS-mktg may not help much demand wise. MS-finance is a more valued one. plus MS-fin is a real fundu course in most univs. some finance profs in India(top-10 schools) with whom i have discussd carnegie/tepper MS-fin Q-papers(avlbl in faculty sites) were not able to decipher the Q's. that gives you an idea.

no comments on MS-mktg but MS-fin/computational fin from a gud instt will land u in a I-bank or top fin insttn in their credit/risk modelling, prod dev or similar area.
MS-mktg may not help much demand wise. MS-finance is a more valued one. plus MS-fin is a real fundu course in most univs. some finance profs in India(top-10 schools) with whom i have discussd carnegie/tepper MS-fin Q-papers(avlbl in faculty sites) were not able to decipher the Q's. that gives you an idea.

no comments on MS-mktg but MS-fin/computational fin from a gud instt will land u in a I-bank or top fin insttn in their credit/risk modelling, prod dev or similar area.

I wrote to carnegie mellon. they say work exp is not compusory but quantitative aptitude counts