Is GMAT a good option with just 1.5 years of exp??

Hi guys,Looking for some expert advice on the above point…I have 1.5 years of experience, currently working with Infosys Limited.The scope of my job seems reallly low, no progress and no development here.The only option left with me is an…

Hi guys,

Looking for some expert advice on the above point..

I have 1.5 years of experience, currently working with Infosys Limited.

The scope of my job seems reallly low, no progress and no development here.

The only option left with me is an MBA and that too from a good Bschool. i appeared for all the MBA exams this year and I am expecting an average to good result. But just want to have options in hand, in case anything screws, so thinking of apperaring for GMAT as well. I want advice on the point that with 1.5 years of current experience, will it be possible for me to get into a good bschool outside India? I have compromised by getting into this Job, i dnt want to anymore. And also can not afford to stay for another year here, its just a waste. Please help me on this and also list the colleges i should apply to if you think i should take the exam.

regards,

adream27

GMAT score is the single most important factor. Although many schools talks highly about 360 degree review or holistic evaluation, in practice those are just talk. "No decent GMAT no talk" as simple as that.

Regarding your experience etc, it is like showroom ... depends on what you display and what you shout about. If you are not good at displaying or shouting, don't worry, there are marketing agencies (sorry consultants!!). They will package you such that even you will wonder "is it me? really?"

Don't worry ... just focus on GMAT and score north of 700 and see the crazy magic!!

@WouldBeCrazy said:
GMAT score is the single most important factor. Although many schools talks highly about 360 degree review or holistic evaluation, in practice those are just talk. "No decent GMAT no talk" as simple as that.Regarding your experience etc, it is like showroom ... depends on what you display and what you shout about. If you are not good at displaying or shouting, don't worry, there are marketing agencies (sorry consultants!!). They will package you such that even you will wonder "is it me? really?"Don't worry ... just focus on GMAT and score north of 700 and see the crazy magic!!
Thank you for the reply..
You mean to say that all that 3+ experience thing that people say is required for the Bschools outside india is not necessarily true?
And i can get a equally good bschool at 1.5-2 years of experience as well?
And what are those consultants you are talking about?? Are they agents or something??
And yes if i focus well I am sure i will do well in the exam...
@adream27 said:
Thank you for the reply.. #1 .. You mean to say that all that 3+ experience thing that people say is required for the Bschools outside india is not necessarily true?#2.. And i can get a equally good bschool at 1.5-2 years of experience as well?#3.. And what are those consultants you are talking about?? Are they agents or something??#4.. And yes if i focus well I am sure i will do well in the exam...

Was in a holidays ...... here goes your answers

#1 Yes, absolutely. Many schools openly says that and few school does that in the pretext of exceptionally qualified student. A 760 GMAT is definitely exceptional, what do you say?

#2 Oh yes. Mind that, sometimes schools may appear irrational as we do not exactly know their selection criteria. So sometimes an average Joe gets a seat and sometimes even the most balanced candidates are not even called for an interviews ... as a sample of the second category, I think this as a positive sign ... I think the school is not sure whether I will take up their offer or not!!

#3 If I say agent or DALLA, these consultants will feel offended. They call themsealves as admission/branding consultants, who helps you in writing creative CV, essay and all at a fee.

#4 Please do so and be assured that you will be flooded with invitation if you score a 700 GMAT.

@WouldBeCrazy said:
Was in a holidays ...... here goes your answers#1 Yes, absolutely. Many schools openly says that and few school does that in the pretext of exceptionally qualified student. A 760 GMAT is definitely exceptional, what do you say?#2 Oh yes. Mind that, sometimes schools may appear irrational as we do not exactly know their selection criteria. So sometimes an average Joe gets a seat and sometimes even the most balanced candidates are not even called for an interviews ... as a sample of the second category, I think this as a positive sign ... I think the school is not sure whether I will take up their offer or not!!#3 If I say agent or DALLA, these consultants will feel offended. They call themsealves as admission/branding consultants, who helps you in writing creative CV, essay and all at a fee.#4 Please do so and be assured that you will be flooded with invitation if you score a 700 GMAT.
Thanks alot for all that information.. and yes it just made me more confident.. Till now i was just thinking of relying on my CAT result. But yes i have options now.. will apply for GMAT soon 😃 Thanks again :)

Hi WouldBeCrazy I have 2.5 year experience in IT and a 750 GMAT score. I am targeting the fall 2013 intake for any top university. Already got a reject from ISB and Kellogg so I am a bit bummed right now and worried about my chances and that my experience or the lack of it might be a factor. Could you tell me which universities should I be targeting and which might be a little lax on the experience.

@WouldBeCrazy and last question.. i have not registered for GMAT as yet.. Is it worth taking it in some time march ,april if i want to target for admission in this 2013 batch ?? i donot have any idea about the admission process thrugh GMAT..
@adream27 said:
@WouldBeCrazy and last question.. i have not registered for GMAT as yet.. Is it worth taking it in some time march ,april if i want to target for admission in this 2013 batch ?? i donot have any idea about the admission process thrugh GMAT..
Good that you asked this crucial question as I myself was unaware of this clearly and had a bit of last minute rush.

I am not sure about US/Canada schools as I have not looked at those.

Rest of the school starts their sessions in Sept, except a couple, who starts in Jan. So, it is more or less fixed that the session starts in late Aug, Sept or early Oct.

To join the session, say Aug 2014, admission starts in Sept/Oct 2013. Some schools such as HEC starts even earlier. That means, your GMAT score must be finalised before Sept 2013 so that you know where exactly you are competitive. Otherwise, you may need to blindly target and waste energy.

I said finalise your GMAT that means you must get the desired score before Sep 2013. To be on the safer side, you should target your GMAT before August so that if something goes wrong, immediately you can reappear and correct your GMAT score by Sep.

While doing all the preparation, in parallel work on your application. Creative writing is one aspect but more important is your story line. You need to do a lot of retrospect to clearly identify what you want to talk about. A lot amound of self deleberation goes on pros and cons of your story lines. Don't keep that for the last moment. Then arrange your references and ask them to complete the reference form. For my case, my applications were ready along with my GMAT. After the GMAT score, I just submitted.

The issue is, your references will be required to be extra helpful as you will require few additional (both in higher side as well as lower side) schools in your radar.

The early you apply, the better is the chance of acceptance and the better is the chance of scholarship. I know I am competitive to 2 schools that I liked too much but I am late for 1st round and I do not want to stake my pounds where chances are slim. Hope you know admission is not always free and some school charge 150 pounds plus!!

best of luck and a Merry Christmas

@ishan13589 said:
Hi WouldBeCrazy I have 2.5 year experience in IT and a 750 GMAT score. I am targeting the fall 2013 intake for any top university. Already got a reject from ISB and Kellogg so I am a bit bummed right now and worried about my chances and that my experience or the lack of it might be a factor. Could you tell me which universities should I be targeting and which might be a little lax on the experience.
Improve your story line
Review your references
Work on your CV, If you are an IIM then you really need to work hard on your CV
Apply for first round ONLY

Whats the minimum number of days before which I can book the slot for GMAT?

Now let me tell you the practical part. Getting admission is not the end of the story, in fact it is just the start of the journey. What matters the most is the experience during your studies. And to be honest, you need practical experience to connect the class room lecture to ground realities. It is absolutely possible to fake the class and score excellent during the exam but, to be really a role model manager and leader, you need a fair bit of understanding of day to day management. You can survive without that but if you really want to do a good job, have some practical experience of management before you start your management journey. And to be really practical, I believe minimum 5 years experience is required to really appreciate an MBA programme. Preciously this is the reason, I have skipped the entire USA programme.