Is dropping for cat justified

i dont know whether this question is being asked before or not.if this is being repeated then mods please close this thread.i am working and preparing for cat.but i needd to ask is dropping for CAT justified.can a person justify in interview.what …

i dont know whether this question is being asked before or not.if this is being repeated then mods please close this thread.i am working and preparing for cat.but i needd to ask is dropping for CAT justified.can a person justify in interview.what i feel is that we should try to get into job as low profile it may seem.because droppping especially for CAt adds to pressure.if we not get a good %ile then what? so bro to all those souls i may appear a bit -ve but this is what i feel what u say guys.

abhi_g1| Says
i needd to ask is dropping for CAT justified.can a person justify in interview.

There is no rule for that. There are people who have dropped an year, blasted CAT, FMS big time. After 2 years they are better than a person who did those ' low profile jobs' and couldnt concentrate well on his preparations because of his job.

And, there are people who have done both the things simultaneously as well.

|abhi_g1 Says
if we not get a good %ile then what?

Then take up some job and get set for CAT next year.

The answer to your question lies in that annoyingly familliar and oft-repeated line that I use quite a lot "It Depends."

If you feel you can justify the one year drop. And I don't mean in the PI. You first have to crack the entrance to get a call and then you get to the PI. So justify the drop first by working your ass off to crack that entrance, (Hey I can tell you that's NOT what I did :biggrin: , otherwise "I could have been somebody." and then Brando turned in his grave 😉 )

On the other hand, there are people who as Digital_Saint has mentioned juggled both things quite well and came out on top with good work ex and that elusive dream most of us know as an IIM call.

Its you who have to decide based on your personal strengths and weaknesses & your job (profile, satisfaction, experience, learning - cumulative score of all these 😃 )

Don't know how much this will help but even so...

I think it depends a lot on the person and how badly he wants to crack.

i have a lot of friends who left their jobs when they realised it ws hindering their preperation.

:grab:

abhi_g1 Says
i dont know whether this question is being asked before or not.if this is being repeated then mods please close this thread.i am working and preparing for cat.but i needd to ask is dropping for CAT justified.can a person justify in interview.what i feel is that we should try to get into job as low profile it may seem.because droppping especially for CAt adds to pressure.if we not get a good %ile then what? so bro to all those souls i may appear a bit -ve but this is what i feel what u say guys.
I think it depends a lot on the person and how badly he wants to crack.

i have a lot of friends who left their jobs when they realised it ws hindering their preperation.

:grab:

It also depends on one more major factor...Financial Backup....Also when u quit your job, your are pressurising yourself too much..let me put it in a simpler way..Preparing for 4 hours a day is sufficient enough) as CAT is not like our board exams, swallowing & vommitting..CAT is all about how you use your brain under pressure..If you are working, you get diversion from your CAT preps, sort a respite for one to assimilate things..Instead if you quit your Job, first thing is your a loosing your income + your Work Ex & No 2 is that nobody can prepare for 12 hours a day ie at the max you will prepare for 6 - 7 hours..Obviously you will pressurised & all the negative things comes in mind..I have quit my Job is a very hard feeling..So think before you decide, because quiting a Job is an extra pressure than anything else...

Only two words it isn't.

---Asif

it all depends on person 2 person

usually with engg. students,they get a placement after the engg.

so they can carry on workin and simultaneously write CAT..

but other students like B.Com,B.A,B.Sc,BBA,etc usually dont get a campus placement...so they prefer droppin a year n they just prepare a whole year only 4 CAT..

i did d same..

now again comes d question..why 2 drop??

i would suggest..people who can seriously devote time 4 cat prep should drop 1 year..otherwise 1 year would b waste...

No, there is no such hard and fast rule, but yes it does add to the pressure in a way. In my opinion (its a personal opinion, and not a rule!) work experience adds to the value of an mba candidate, and hence i do not think that dropping a year for preparation is the right way forward, apart from having to justify it in the interviews. And I also think that no matter what kind of job one has, one can always prepare for CAT along with that. I used to work in the night shift as part of on-site support team and did prepare for CAT on the side. Yes, I'm not in an IIM today, but I did get into one of my targeted institutes, and am very happy with my position now. Of course, even I know of cases wherein the person has dropped a year and managed to crack CAT in style, but then that person has lost out on some very valuable experience in the corporate world, which is also unreplaceable.

i agree with ans_bhai that job helps a lot as the work ex is helpful.but %ile is also damn importanat if u get 99+ hollaaaaaaaaa rock it man.so bro written is also crucial if u r not working thebn work hard and samrt and get that elusive 99 or if u r working manage u r time acordingly it is tough though but an IIm admit doesnt come easy probably that is why it is cherished

Although it is a highly personal decision...but still will add 2 cents. I took a drop after my engg .....because i wanted to concentrate wholly and solely on CAT. And wanted to make sure i get through in one attempt as i did not want to wait for one more year to give CAT. I was also reasonably confident that will get rhough one of the top insits. Which i Did 😃 .

See as Ans-bhai pointed out it does not take more than 3 hours a day to prepare for CAT. And i totally agree with him . But you can spend the rest of your time learning something else....soemthing useful.....i learnt German . But again this is my opinion and will not be shared by most of the Junta. And yes, they do ask this in the interview, but u have a satisfctory ans ready then it is not a problem

Can someone gauge my situation ?. I shud have passed out by 2005 May but I flunked a paper . THe university conducted the Supplementary exam in Jan 2006(!) , again due to delays in University I cud get my Certfifcates in May 2006 only . In the mean time I did get a JOB at Satyam Computer Services , but couldnt produce my certificates and hence cudnt join ... Then I passed the IIITB exam , but I was honest in the interview about my dreams to do MBA and hence they rejected me.

So I decided against job hunting ( major reason being my 63% which wudnt pass the cut off of most reputed companies ) to concentrate on CAT...effectively I wud have skipped 2 years when I join MBA , but I dont resent one bit about that .. coz I feel there is no hurry in joinin workforce any soon ( just like steve jobs said) ... j pursure ur interests ....I am basically learnnig things like yoga , Pranayama etc in my free time ... I am working on persnality improvement and other value additions ... besides preparing for CAT ...also I am trying my hand at certain small projects on Internet ( part time)...

Wud these reasons be good enuf to appease any IIM panel ? My case is pretty rare coz there is almost 2 years break... I am 22 now... What sort of percetile shud I look forward to so that I can negate my disadvantages ?

Cheers
~N

Dude which institute did u manage to get through?

Although it is a highly personal decision...but still will add 2 cents. I took a drop after my engg .....because i wanted to concentrate wholly and solely on CAT. And wanted to make sure i get through in one attempt as i did not want to wait for one more year to give CAT. I was also reasonably confident that will get rhough one of the top insits. Which i Did 😃 .

See as Ans-bhai pointed out it does not take more than 3 hours a day to prepare for CAT. And i totally agree with him . But you can spend the rest of your time learning something else....soemthing useful.....i learnt German . But again this is my opinion and will not be shared by most of the Junta. And yes, they do ask this in the interview, but u have a satisfctory ans ready then it is not a problem
sameer_dce Says
Dude which institute did u manage to get through?

I am in SJMSOM, IITB . Just see my rank
duude vishy , me too in the same position . 60% for b.tech & an effective losss of 2 yrs.. so seems we require 100 %ile & seems still may be kicked outta iims ... he heee ....

but in spite of all these myself ROCKS .....

SO now wat shd be done PRACTICALLY !!

The best thing is to be totally honest. This (dropping or not dropping) is not the only criteria for selection. They are looking for someone who will fit into the institute . If you fulfil at least some criteria, you have a fair chance .

@ Vishy, was that IIITB or IITB ?

so nice dicussion going on bro.vishy i am no expert bro but i have read somewhere that there ws a person who dropped for 1 year and the panel asked him why will he select him if they have IIT ans in line.what is his USP he said sir i am not IIt but what i have done IITans will not do. he worked for NGOS and helped old people and orphaned children.so holaaaaaaaaaaa that became his USP. what i feel after resaerach that they need justification justify it and get it.irf feeling down read todays times of india article on LEAVE THE PAST BEHIND. all the best bro get that elusive 99+.may god help u all.

a very nice thread
i m in a typical dilemma
i m mechanical engg. final year student.
mechanical branch means low jobs for fresher.
my coll. isnt famous one and we are the first batch so no campus placement.
now at this time my acads are poor but degree will be ok.
but when i will have my degree almost all b schools admission would be over.
i m appearing in cat this year and lets see if i can make it to a good b-school.
now my problem---
if i m not able to make it to a good ( say A or B grade) b-school, should i join a lower grade b school like KIRLOSKAR or IIMM or should i take a drop and take cat again.
show them my degree of around 65 % and try for a seat????
any plz answer yaar

My views on this issue:

I understand that at this stage, CAT is one of THE most important exams for MBA aspirants. But to drop out for this test isn't appropriate. People have this wrong perception, "no matter what we do now, humara to life ban jayega once we get into a top notch B school".
Guys, realize this, once you get into a B school, during the summers and final placements, it has been observed that the companies look down upon people who've droped out a year or two. Dropping out is accepted if you have enough grounds for justifying your stance. But then, you would realize that there would be junta who are in a far better position.
Ensure that you keep an eye towards the long term before taking a plunge!

cheers,

-Vengeance

The best thing is to be totally honest. This (dropping or not dropping) is not the only criteria for selection. They are looking for someone who will fit into the institute . If you fulfil at least some criteria, you have a fair chance .

@ Vishy, was that IIITB or IITB ?

iiit bangalore , www.iiitb.ac.in for admission into M.Tech IT

@abhi thanks abhi , hoping to convert this time . goodluck

@chakrabirsingh

pass ur degree first , try to get some decent job.. just put in the effort , and prepare for cat next year ( if u dont get insto a good insti now ). but if u really want to do MBA without wasting a year , then think well about the institute u r applying like placement etc...if its considerably good ... then join . work ex helps .
in my situ too diff to get a job ...so i have to take this route ...

goodluck
~N

ok i think anupam is right even after getting into a good b school.there is also a lot of fight there.so we must try to get a job and prepare for cat./i know it wont be easy but who said IIM admit comes easy.