Is Coaching necessary for a good GMAT Score?

This is the first question that comes to mind when one starts preparing for the GMAT Exam. As mostly working professionals take the GMAT exam, they usually opt for weekend classes. But the question is: Can a person get a top GMAT Score with self…

This is the first question that comes to mind when one starts preparing for the GMAT Exam. As mostly working professionals take the GMAT exam, they usually opt for weekend classes.
But the question is: Can a person get a top GMAT Score with self study?
The Answer is YES!!
I am not denying that the coaching institutes are really helpful in GMAT Preparation. The main advantage of joining a coaching institute is the fact that they help us in planning efficiently and also for working professionals who have not picked up a book in 3-4 years to get down to studying again.
Another advantage is that you do not need to hunt around looking for books as the study material provided by the coaching institutes is more than enough. So, definitely joining a coaching institute is better as compared to self study.
But what if someone is not able to join a coaching institute because of various reasons such as non-availability of time, posting at a remote place, wants to save money etc..than the only option he/she has is to do self study. In my opinion for the GMAT exam, one can score pretty well if he/she follows the right books and studies consistently. The period of preparation varies from individual to individual and can range from as low as 2 months to as high as 1 year. I have listed below a few points that I feel one should keep in mind if he is doing self study.
1. Do not run behind too many books. OG's are the bible of GMAT and must be taken very seriously. Just take a couple of good books for verbal and that should do. For quant any good book is OK.
2. Practice, practice and more practice.
3. Take a lot of mock tests.
4. Schedule the GMAT once you start getting your target score or more in mocks.Remember Mocks don't lie.
This is just a post to share my views. I am open to criticism. Please feel free to comment.
Cheers