IPFX Aspirants, IIM-L, Class of 2010-2011

Hi All, I’m starting this thread for all the International Programme in Finance for Executives(IPFX) 2010 - 2011 aspirants. The International Programme in Finance for Executives is a carefully crafted and uniquely designed, full time…

Hi All,

I'm starting this thread for all the International Programme in Finance for Executives(IPFX) 2010 - 2011 aspirants.

The International Programme in Finance for Executives is a carefully crafted and uniquely designed, full time, one-year residential dual-degree post-graduate program in Finance. The IPFX program helps develop advanced careers in Finance with an emphasis on the Indian and international business environments through a comprehensive and challenging curriculum jointly delivered by the Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University, Canada (Desautels Faculty of Management) and the Indian Institute of Management Lucknow. The IPFX programme integrates advanced financial theory & quantitative methods with real world business practice. The IPFX programme is rigorous as well as rewarding as it provides ample opportunity for personal development and professional growth through inquiry and insight in an interactive learning environment

Programme Objective

The overall goal of the program is to broaden core financial management competencies to further enhance the professional growth of students. The specific objectives of the program are to:

Provide strong quantitative foundations in Finance through a comprehensive and challenging curriculum
Develop advanced analytical tools, techniques, skill sets and perspectives necessary for optimal financial decision-making at managerial level in a global business environment
Dual Degree Programme

IPFX is a dual degree programme of the Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University, Canada and IIM Lucknow.
Master of Management by McGill University. The transcript will specifically state the Finance specialization.
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance for Executives by IIM Lucknow

Link to this program on the IIML site.

Post Graduate Programme

Advertisement: http://www.iiml.ac.in/IPFXAdv.pdf

Brochure : http://www.iiml.ac.in/IPFX_Brochure.pdf

Admission Form : http://www.iiml.ac.in/IPFXAdmsForm.pdf

FAQ's : http://www.iiml.ac.in/FAQ.pdf

What is the selection criterion?
We are looking for candidates who have a B.Com / B.E. / B. Tech / Graduation degree with Mathematics, Statistics or Economics with minimum 55% marks or Bachelor's Degree in any discipline or higher qualification with minimum 55% marks with proven quantitative skills and having post qualification full-time professional experience of minimum of five years as on September 30, 2010, GMAT scores obtained between February 1, 2007 to January 31, 2010 and group discussion & personal interview. In addition, those who have intellectual curiosity, leadership potential and the determination to succeed, should apply.

What is the last date of submission of application form?

Applications open on November 15, 2009. The last date for receiving completed application form is February 1, 2010 by 5 PM. Online submission is not allowed. Application form fee is Rs. 1000/- (Rs One thousands only) / (USD 40) (USD Forty only) through a demand draft in favour of IIM Lucknow - Noida Campus, payable at Noida.

What documents need to be sent with the application form?
Duly filled-in application form along with application fee of Rs 1000/- (USD 40) GMAT score obtained from February 1, 2007 to January 31, 2010
Statement of Purpose
Two letters of Recommendation

The candidates short-listed by IIML will have to request their all universities attended, to submit official transcripts showing courses and grades for each year of their studies as well as confirmation of degrees directly to IPFX Admission Office, Indian Institute of Management Lucknow, Noida.
The short-listed candidates will apply on-line to McGill University, Canada with a nonrefundable fee of Canadian $100/- by April 15, 2010 (Visa or Master Card).

Is there an upper age limit?
No.

Is GMAT compulsory?
Yes. We do not accept any other tests such as CAT/ MAT etc.

What is the minimum acceptable GMAT score?
We do not specify a minimum GMAT score. GMAT score is among other criteria such as personal interview, professional experience, leadership role.

What are the total numbers of seat available for IPFX 2010-2011?
The total number of seats available for IPFX / MMF 2010-2011 is 50 (Fifty).

Should I submit my GMAT score in the application form?
You need to submit the GMAT score card along with the application form. You should also inform GMAC. Our code is J39-VT-55. The official GMAT reports are to be sent directly to IPFX Admission Office, IIM Lucknow, Noida by GMAC.

When will I know if I have been finally selected for IPFX 2010-2011?
In case you have been short-listed by IIM Lucknow, we will inform you by email/post by First week of April 2010. Short-listed candidates must apply on-line to McGill University by April 15, 2010. Admission results of IPFX / MMF Programme will be announced latest by July 1, 2010. Offer of admittance must be accepted by August 2, 2010.

Are there any seats reserved for company sponsored candidates?
No.

how come no one seems to be interested in this Course ??

I am intereseted in this course but damn, such a mute adv for this course.... IIM brand name will only take it to a small distance... If I have to choose a course, I will look at management's commitment and their willingness to advertise the course to potential students, intustries for placement....

Somehow, I feel management is not active enough.

I am intereseted in this course but damn, such a mute adv for this course.... IIM brand name will only take it to a small distance... If I have to choose a course, I will look at management's commitment and their willingness to advertise the course to potential students, intustries for placement....

Somehow, I feel management is not active enough.

I guess you are right to an extent, lack of interest doesn't augur well for the credibility of the course, but still I think it is worth a try...

I just hope we can get some more ppl on the bandwagon to just carry this discussion to closure...

Although interested in the IPFX program, I am not eligible bcoz of low work experience.

The course requires a 5 year work-ex. However by Oct 2009, I will be 6 months short of the required 5 Years.

Contacted the program head at IIM - L, and he said that 5 Years is mandatory and will not be relaxed even for just 6 months.

SaurabhNayar and Recondite C-09, do you mind sharing your profiles.

Few questions
1. This is the first batch, right? What placement opportunities/relationships exist with industry? i.e. what are prospects afterwards?
2. Why McGill? Is that really a heavyweight when it comes to Finance? The top school, in anyone's mind would be Chicago, no?
3. Some universities in the US have a Financial Engineering (Columbia) or a Computational Finance (CMU) program. Is this comparable to those, or more of an MBA with a Finance focus?

Honestly, with my background and career goals, and geographical preference, this program seems ideal for me.

However, with the placements fiasco last year, IIML-Noida doesn't inspire confidence in terms of being well organized and handling a new program well. I'd think most institutes would devote extra resources in the first few years of a program to help them take off, but that certainly wasn't the case with the IPMX (as reported by students), and therefore, I have my doubts about applying just yet.

Also, I agree with the sentiment expressed by others on PG that this program has not been marketed at all, once again, making me nervous.

Thoughts, anyone?

Few questions
1. This is the first batch, right? What placement opportunities/relationships exist with industry? i.e. what are prospects afterwards?
2. Why McGill? Is that really a heavyweight when it comes to Finance? The top school, in anyone's mind would be Chicago, no?
3. Some universities in the US have a Financial Engineering (Columbia) or a Computational Finance (CMU) program. Is this comparable to those, or more of an MBA with a Finance focus?

Honestly, with my background and career goals, and geographical preference, this program seems ideal for me.

However, with the placements fiasco last year, IIML-Noida doesn't inspire confidence in terms of being well organized and handling a new program well. I'd think most institutes would devote extra resources in the first few years of a program to help them take off, but that certainly wasn't the case with the IPMX (as reported by students), and therefore, I have my doubts about applying just yet.

Also, I agree with the sentiment expressed by others on PG that this program has not been marketed at all, once again, making me nervous.

Thoughts, anyone?

Very tough to judge McGill university in "Finance" expertise.. But it is no heavyweight.. its a second-teir Non-US university as per www.businessweek.com...
SaurabhNayar Says
Very tough to judge McGill university in "Finance" expertise.. But it is no heavyweight.. its a second-teir Non-US university as per www.businessweek.com...

this seems to the new new trend with the Indian B-Schools.. Partner with some international school and send student overseas for a few months.. Though how effective this tour can be is a debatable issue. Anyways I must make the point that what intrigues moi is that in spite of the fees for this course being at par with any other flagship IIM-residental Executive course they are not aggressively marketing this course.. For a pilot course this is not good news...

But the positives that I can see in here are that, firstly there will be lesser competition, and if the market conditions improve by the time this batch complete the course, then the IIM Brand Name will definitely work wonders.. So i'd say that there is a fair amount of Risk involved in this endeavor...
Although interested in the IPFX program, I am not eligible bcoz of low work experience.

The course requires a 5 year work-ex. However by Oct 2009, I will be 6 months short of the required 5 Years.

Contacted the program head at IIM - L, and he said that 5 Years is mandatory and will not be relaxed even for just 6 months.

SaurabhNayar and Recondite C-09, do you mind sharing your profiles.

MOI Profile....

Work Ex : 5 years till date... Technical Architect Lead in an MNC (IT) currently.
Involved in the ISO2K7 Certification Project working on Incident Management,
Problem Management and Change Management processes.
Also initiated a Service Improvement Plan in my DU.

Academics : Average

Extra Curriculars : Very Impressive.. Mountaineering, Debating, Performing
arts - Acting , NGO work, Organized fests etc etc..
MOI Profile....

Work Ex : 5 years till date... Technical Architect Lead in an MNC (IT) currently.
Involved in the ISO2K7 Certification Project working on Incident Management,
Problem Management and Change Management processes.
Also initiated a Service Improvement Plan in my DU.

Doesn't this program require work ex to be in Finance. If you're a technical architect, are you eligible to apply?
BlueHorseShoe Says
Doesn't this program require work ex to be in Finance. If you're a technical architect, are you eligible to apply?

Yep i have gone through the brochure, its clear that anyone with 5 or more years of work exp can apply. Who they select and who they reject is an entirely different issue. Anyways this being the pilot batch of the course I'd say that they should take people from all fields.
Recondite C-09 Says
Yep i have gone through the brochure, its clear that anyone with 5 or more years of work exp can apply. Who they select and who they reject is an entirely different issue. Anyways this being the pilot batch of the course I'd say that they should take people from all fields.

This is from the FAQ

Q. What kind of organizations would the candidates be preferred from?
A. We are looking for middle to senior level professionals from corporate, banking, insurance, NBFCs, Mutual Funds, government sector and regulatory bodies. Candidates could therefore be from private/ public sector/ government departments/ NGOs. They could also be professionals (e.g. Chartered Accountants, Cost Accountants, Company Secretaries) / consultants, defense personnel, civil servants or entrepreneurs.

I remember having a vague impression that they want people from finance related fields and finance jobs. But all I can find is this FAQ, which doesn't make that distinction.
Maybe I was mistaken.
Recondite C-09 Says

Q. What kind of organizations would the candidates be preferred from?
A. We are looking for middle to senior level professionals from corporate, banking, insurance, NBFCs, Mutual Funds, government sector and regulatory bodies. Candidates could therefore be from private/ public sector/ government departments/ NGOs. They could also be professionals (e.g. Chartered Accountants, Cost Accountants, Company Secretaries) / consultants, defense personnel, civil servants or entrepreneurs.

Maybe I was mistaken.

Yes but I think recondite is right.

This being the pilot batch, they may take people from other backgrounds.

Did any of you apply for the IPFX program?

Hey all

I am one of the applicants for the IPFX programme at IIML Noida campus. Has anyone got a call from IIMLNC (IIML Noida Campus).

I called up the admissions office and they informed the shortlisted candidates will be given a call upto second week of May 2010.

My Intro
I am Varun, a chartered accountant working for a Big 4 consulting firm with post qual of 6 Years.

Any more applicants for IPFX ?? Please give your intro!

It is mentioned in the website that Application dead line is extended upto 30.04.2010.

How to get the application form . i could nt find any link.

IS the course meant for the guys already having exposure to finance.

I work in power sector .

Here is the link for admission form:
http://www.iiml.ac.in/IPFXAdmsForm.pdf

well the guys from financial field will definitely be given a preference.