Interview with Mr. Stephan Chambers, Head of MBA Programmes at Said Business School

In an exclusive interview for PaGaLGuY.com, Mr. Stephan Chambers talks about the life, opportunities and education at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. Stephan Chambers is Head of MBA Programmes at the Said Business Sch…

In an exclusive interview for PaGaLGuY.com, Mr. Stephan Chambers talks about the life, opportunities and education at the Said Business School, University of Oxford.

Stephan Chambers is Head of MBA Programmes at the Said Business School and Executive MBA Course director. He joined SBS in 2000 after twenty years in academic publishing in the US and UK. He was acting Chief Executive of Blackwells US publishing company and Chairman of the NCC/Blackwell joint venture. He sat on the boards of two technology start-ups and was editorial director of Blackwell Publishing. He also works for the University of Oxfords technology transfer company, Isis Innovation.

1) Please give a brief overview of the Said Business School.

A) Said Business School (SBS) is the Business School of the University of Oxford. We are a young school (around 9 years old) at the heart of an ancient university. Our key activities are teaching of graduates and undergraduates, and research. The SBS community includes MBA students, Masters and Doctoral students, undergraduates, faculty and staff.

2) Please provide an overview of the class diversity at Said Business School.

A) SBS is the most international of major business schools with an astonishing diversity of student background. In the current year we have 180 students representing over 40 nationalities (around 30% from Asia, 30% from Europe and 30% from the Americas).

3) What do you think are the key factors that attract students worldwide to SBS?

A) The fact that its a one-year programme is clearly a huge draw, as is the Schools position at the heart of the one the worlds truly great research universities. Students like the diversity that Oxford offers, they enjoy its Collegiate structure and I think they appreciate the fact that we are a start-up business school, with the flexibility and responsiveness that that suggests, backed by a venerable institution.

4) Can you give us more details about the collegiate system at SBS?

A) At Oxford every student, whether undergraduate or a postgraduate, is a member of a College. That College becomes their physical home and their access point to the sports, drama, and cultural life as well as to the wider intellectual life of a 900-year-old university. In essence, the University of Oxford awards the MBA degree, the Said Business School teaches the MBA, and the Colleges look after students during their time at Oxford.

5) What is the current strength of Asians and Indians in the course?

A) Some of the most talented and well-prepared candidates in the world are admitted from India. Around 30% of the student intake at SBS is from Asia and a substantial number this year are from India and Pakistan.

6) What kind of students are a great fit at Oxford?

A) Clearly the minimum requirement is that students should be capable of passing the course and should be able to benefit both personally and professionally through the study at Oxford. Students should also be able actively to contribute to the class and bring a fresh perspective to discussions. In almost all cases that means they need to have worked for between 3 and 6 years after their undergraduate degree. Its the sheer variety of our students biographies that makes the SBS MBA such a challenging and transformative experience and that variety is, of course, enriched by students previous academic and work experience.

7) What opportunities do Indian students have after graduating from Oxford?

A) Indians graduating with an Oxford MBA can either return to India to work or they can remain in the UK under a newly introduced scheme open to graduates of the leading MBA programmes, that extends work permits for one year (renewable for up to 3 years) in the UK. Many will do both: that is remain in the UK and then return to India.

How are social entrepreneurs encouraged at Oxford?

A) SBS has a significant commitment to and presence in Social Entrepreneurship in the form of the newly established Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, established at SBS by the co-founder of EBay, Jeff Skoll. The Centre researches the application of business principles to social and environmental as well as or instead of shareholder dividends. There are 5 fully-funded Skoll Scholarships for MBA students every year awarded to students who demonstrate an outstanding commitment to social enterprise.

9) What does Oxford plan to do to attract more students from India?

A) We work closely with our alumni to attract more of the best students from India. We regularly interview and host receptions here and intend to increase our activity over the next couple of years. The quality of students from the best Universities in India is extremely high and wed be delighted to get more applications.

10) How strong is the Oxford Alumni Network?

A) Oxfords alumni network is world-renowned and we work hard to integrate the business schools own graduate network into the wider University network to give our graduates genuinely global connections.

11) Provide us with an overview of the application process.

A) The various components that are the part of an application are the GMAT, the essays, the recommendations and the interview (held with a member of the SBS faculty either in person or by telephone). We do not admit students without an interview. We review applications in the round and have no GMAT or age thresholds. That said, our average GMAT is 690 and the average age of our students around 29.

12) How accessible is SBS to the Indian applicant?

A) SBS welcomes good students who will be active participants and lively members of the MBA class. Indian students have shown themselves to be outstanding participants in our previous classes and we welcome applications from those who think that they meet the admissions criteria and would benefit from the Oxford experience.

Check out the article and pics at :

http://www.pagalguy.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2;_articleid=44

Check out the article and pics at :

http://www.pagalguy.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2;_articleid=44

Its truly amazing. It feels so good that we are able to pull this off. Our junta here deserve great things & this is just the start. PG, you sure have created an amazing place .. now sit back & see it growing all international.

Proud to be a PGite.. Blessed to be a MOD!! πŸ˜ƒ

Simba

a great leap for our forum this.........had always felt that the forum shud try and jump to the next level..

PG bhiya....u better work out some revenue models....if those americans start pouring in......all the servers in the world will not be enough

proud to be a part of PG

Anish

**Warn - Dont use racist remarks pls**- Simba

Its truly amazing. It feels so good that we are able to pull this off. Our junta here deserve great things & this is just the start. PG, you sure have created an amazing place .. now sit back & see it growing all international.

Simba

You could say that again.... The level of integration of portal with the forum is indeed amazing....Now waiting for the junta to take it forward πŸ˜ƒ

Cheers

Proud to be a PGite.. Blessed to be a MOD!! :)

Simba

Amen to that. We ROCK

~C~

Great work PG!! .....Great start to the new portal

Cheers,

Wayne

justn when i think that the forum has reached great heights it scales further. .....i rue the fact that i became a member only recently though i've been a regular for more than a year and a half......great work...keep going!!!!...hang on.... the ride 's getting faster than in a ferrari! !!!!!!!!!

Simba

Yeah..Thanks to PG , Mods, All old hats ... and all the new enthusiasitc members who've made this one of the most vibrant communities on the web!

PG Rocks!!!

Cheers also on going international in the memberships !!

Ciao.

wow!!!
great new look to a great portal.:)

may pg grow to greater heights...up, up and away

Explosive start to the new portal .. . superb work PG.
PG rocks man .

What Simba said. I guess i joined in year after the forum started but I guess it's mazing the path that the forum has taken. I guess the number of people in the meets say it all. From the first meet of 5 members to current tendency to book up the entire Barista joint (hint..hint..at Simba ), from just another MBA forum to the largest one and then on to community service and then further on now into its international foray...PG's come a long way baby - proud to be part of this forum !!!

hey Allwin .. great work there.. It was a good chat & surely helpful for Said B School aspirants. πŸ˜ƒ

hope to see many such interviews & milestones for PG.com.
the portal def has 'portal look'

A nice interview PG πŸ˜ƒ .......

all i can say iz ...... PG Rocks

Proud to be a PaGaL

cheeeeeeeeerz,
vijay

huge leap forward pg......

pagalguy.com in a league of its on now

cheers,

the_czar

The interview was done by me and simba. Ashish too was there :). I'll post the larger resolution pics here today 😁 . It was definitely fun to walk in for an interview and walk out with ..um.. an interview

Cheers,

Here are the pics :)

Pic 317 - Mr. Chambers
Pic 318 - Me and Mr. Chambers
Pic 319 - As above
Pic 320 - Mr. Chambers
Pic 321 - Simba, Mr. Chambers and I
Pic 322 - Ashish and Mr. Chambers ( Ashish wanted this pic for posterity )

All pics taken by my trusty phone cam !

nice pics *ahem*( ) 'old' boy they are all for posterity

way to go PG. way to go

cheers:)

p.s ur not old at all . dig the the pics

Grt job PG

This is really a grt moment for PG and hopefully an indicator of the grt things to come.....

My heartiest congratulations

P.S. Nice suit Allwin....Looking GGGooooooddd