Interview the Director,Admissions of..........

Now that I have your attention :: just imagine if you had the chance to interview the Director,Admissions of what would you ask?? Go ahead. Be the Inquisitive journalist!! And you never know-- we could replace Apurv( even though he’s just t…

Now that I have your attention just imagine if you had the chance to interview the Director,Admissions of what would you ask??

Go ahead. Be the Inquisitive journalist!! And you never know-- we could replace Apurv( even though he's just thanked me for this post)

Rules:(Dont we all love 'em)

1. Do your homework. I cannot emphasize this enough. If you ask any question, the answer to which can be found on their web-site, I will very happily delete that post. And groan at you.
  2. Do not DO NOT ask questions related to personal admission or type of profile.
  3. Please--No post "Great Initiative" and "Posting to Subscribe". Use the Thanks option for the former and the Subscribe option under Thread Tools for the latter.
Ok so that's it. But I guess you already knew that. I'll add more as we go along. It's quite possible that the Directors will come along and take a look at this thread so you know.......

Look forward to those of you'll admitted helping us with more interviews.

Making this a sticky.

Oh, and to get you'll started

Stanford GSB
Acton MBA

My question regarding GMP (General Mgmt Program) would be:

Would GMP suffice (or give an edge over MBAs with Specializations) for specialized careers like Private Equity, etc. Would the right mix of electives (through tailored courses) really make up?

Adding third college to this list

Tuck(Dartmouth)

There's a pretty active thread so posting there as well. You'll Tuckies better start pouring in

Neo
where these three links lead to?
to their respective sites right, so why just three?
whats with the list?

Pagalguy.com going to interview Tuck dean?

Neo
where these three links lead to?
to their respective sites right, so why just three?
whats with the list?
Pagalguy.com going to interview Tuck dean?

Just three coz we just might interview them I can't make any promises but smart people should be able to infer ................

Even so, whether we do or not shouldnt stop you from posting questions right?

For the Acton Program:

1. What does "exceptional GMAT score mean"? May we know a range?
2. How highly does Acton value real entrepreneurship experience? Can I make a switch from the IT field as I am interested in entrepreneurship
b) Can I offset low acads with say, a high GMAT(720+) AND entrepreneurial experience?
3. Can you tell us more about the Acton Fellowship? I find it hard to believe that EVERY student gets a fellowship. How does this work? What's the catch?
4.All my schooling and college education was in English. Do I need to take the TOEFL or may i request a waiver?
5. Can you tell us more about the course? At first glance, it appears very different from what is taught in other colleges. Most of the courses appear to be new.

Have tried to keep the questions as generic as possible while at the same time tried to ask what a majority of junta have raised doubts over a period of time. If I've missed out anything,please do not hesitate to add more

I am replying to these as a current student of this program:

1. There is no range. They look at the complete profile of the student.
2. You can switch from any field. Real entrepreneurship is valued, though not required.
b) See 1 above
3. It is a pass it forward scheme. Yes, each gets a fellowship. There are 2 requirements:
- you have to pass every course (this takes a lot of work, believe me)
- You have to promise to fund another fellowship after you graduate, so another
student may benefit from something like this.
4. I think so. It should be a breeze if all your schooling was in English. Think of it as
a small investment towards a big reward later on.
5. Acton follows a very unique approach to teaching. The result is absolutely amazing.
Please note that this is only an entrepreneurship program. Though we learn Finance,
Marketing etc. etc., the courses are all geared towards real world entrepreneurship.
And they are taught by real entrepreneurs (not ivory tower professors !!)

Hope this helps.

For the Acton Program:

1. What does "exceptional GMAT score mean"? May we know a range?
2. How highly does Acton value real entrepreneurship experience? Can I make a switch from the IT field as I am interested in entrepreneurship
b) Can I offset low acads with say, a high GMAT(720+) AND entrepreneurial experience?
3. Can you tell us more about the Acton Fellowship? I find it hard to believe that EVERY student gets a fellowship. How does this work? What's the catch?
4.All my schooling and college education was in English. Do I need to take the TOEFL or may i request a waiver?
5. Can you tell us more about the course? At first glance, it appears very different from what is taught in other colleges. Most of the courses appear to be new.

Have tried to keep the questions as generic as possible while at the same time tried to ask what a majority of junta have raised doubts over a period of time. If I've missed out anything,please do not hesitate to add more

For the Stanford GSB Program: -

1. Prospective students often do not apply citing high average GMAT as the reason. Is it true that Stanford places undue emphasis on GMAT?

2. Despite its average salary being the highest across the Business Schools , Stanford got a very low rank in WSJ rankings. Employers blame the attitude of Stanfordites for this. What are the possible reasons according to you.

3. What do you have to say regarding the advantages of Stanford vis-a-vis Harvard, Wharton, Sloan and Kellogg.

4. What are the chances of a 21 year old applying in Stanford straight out of the College (off course with a 4 GPA and 99%ile GMAT score)?

5. How much emphasis is there on Entrepreneurship in Stanford?

6. Teaching Pedagogy at Stanford is a mix of theory and Cases. Can you give us an insight on the kind of cases that are normally discussed there. Are they real life cases or hypothetical word problems?

What sort of Job Profile does one expect after this program ?
(Since it deals with entrepreneurship)
There is nothing mentioned about the Recruiters in the site.

I am replying to these as a current student of this program:

1. There is no range. They look at the complete profile of the student.
2. You can switch from any field. Real entrepreneurship is valued, though not required.
b) See 1 above
3. It is a pass it forward scheme. Yes, each gets a fellowship. There are 2 requirements:
- you have to pass every course (this takes a lot of work, believe me)
- You have to promise to fund another fellowship after you graduate, so another
student may benefit from something like this.
4. I think so. It should be a breeze if all your schooling was in English. Think of it as
a small investment towards a big reward later on.
5. Acton follows a very unique approach to teaching. The result is absolutely amazing.
Please note that this is only an entrepreneurship program. Though we learn Finance,
Marketing etc. etc., the courses are all geared towards real world entrepreneurship.
And they are taught by real entrepreneurs (not ivory tower professors !!)

Hope this helps.

Hello Tom:

There is no job profile. Every student comes from a unique background and Acton encourages its students to build on top of their background. In case you wanna make a break from your past, you have to plan along a stars and stepping stones pathway. Stars are where you'd like to go and steppingstones are jobs/roles that get you there. You are helped in the research and planning by your teachers, class mates and mentors (usually alums of the program).

You plan your "star", using meaningful case discussions in a Life of Meaning course (the only one of its kind any where !!). This is the flagship course of the Acton program.

There are no recruiters and placement office. That is because these are passive career search tools. We actively search for careers that have 3 attributes: a) reflect your goals (or stars), 2) use your capabilities and talents, and 3) are something that the world cares about. Acton does not expect something as valuable as your path in life to be left to big company recruiters or placement office bureaucrats.

Once you know one comany and role that you really wanna do, the school puts its muscle behind it and gets you a foot in the door of the company of your choosing. Yes, the school has unbelieveable respect and reach in the business world around here, through its contacts, its teachers' and alums' contacts.

Many prospective students measure B-schools based on its placement office effectiveness. This is not a school for those passive career searchers.

Hope this helps.

Raj

What sort of Job Profile does one expect after this program ?
(Since it deals with entrepreneurship)
There is nothing mentioned about the Recruiters in the site.