International NGO background

Hey boys and girls, Its been really neat reading posts on this forum. Thanks for the service Pagal Guy. I was wondering if any of you good folks could give me input on where I stand in terms of application strength for schools such as SP Jain…

Hey boys and girls,

Its been really neat reading posts on this forum. Thanks for the service Pagal Guy. I was wondering if any of you good folks could give me input on where I stand in terms of application strength for schools such as SP Jain, Jamnalal Bajaj and ISB.

To tell you people a little bit about myself, I completed my undergrad from the States from a decent university with a major in International Affairs specializing in Economics. My overall GPA is 3.3/4.0 and 3.7/4 in my major. I took my GMAT recently and scored a 660.

By the time I will apply to schools, for programs starting in 2006, I will have completed volunteer/working for 2 years in China with an NGO doing work in the field of education.

How competetive is my application to schools such as SP Jain, Bajaj and ISB assuming that I have good essays and reco's? Also can my conversational fluency in Mandarin Chinese assist my app?

regards and many thanks
rollingstone

Your China experience will be lapped by any thinking Business School
On top of that NGO... US bachelor's degree...
trust me just choose your college? and you will be there...

Ofcourse the CAT is an altogether different ball game and the IIMs could be difficult simlpy due to this requirement...

have fun and welcome to pagalguy

K

Hey there,

thanks for the vote of confidence. Yeah the IIM's I do realize are a whole new game 😃
Can anyone suggest any other top tier schools out there apart from the IIM's, SP Jain, ISB, and Bajaj that have excellent reputations and placements?

regards
rollingstone

Hey there,

thanks for the vote of confidence. Yeah the IIM's I do realize are a whole new game 😃
Can anyone suggest any other top tier schools out there apart from the IIM's, SP Jain, ISB, and Bajaj that have excellent reputations and placements?

regards
rollingstone

MDI would be a regular top 15er (much better some think)
mdi" rel="nofollow">mdi">www.mdi.ac.in/
CAT is the entrance test
TISS (best for social service kind of background)
www.tiss.edu (T = Tata)
own entrance test i think
Also FMS, Delhi is another top school
www.fms.edu
own entrance test

Also check out the websites if these schools allow the GMAT for indians currently outside india... Actually IIMs consider the GMAT for NRIs so give it a shot through that route...
If money is not a deterrent ISB is the best choice after IIM ABC for you...

K

RolingStone I'm really impressed by your international exposure. Man you certainly got what it takes.

Apart from Bschools in India do consider Asian Institute of Mgmt, Manilla. With your kind of experience they will be ready to give you at least a full tution waiver (ard 9 lakhs) and at best an ADB scholarship covering everything (tution, boarding, food, stationary, return air ticket.......the works)...........even spending money!!!

Do check the following link for more details abt AIM
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/aim-admissions-25007679

-IceCube

😃 Hi Rollingstone

U hardly see people with ur back ground going for MBA. Congratulations for all that u have achieved so far.
I wanted to know at made u go for NGO work and how do you think that an MBA will help you
further. What do u plan to work in after MBA from a B school.

I am looking for answers for myself.
This would help.

Cheers,
Rainbow

Hey there!

The reason i chose to do NGO work right after my graduation was because I have always had a keen interest in International Development. The opportunity to come to China was almost too good to refuse considering how pivotal it's role is in global affairs. After being here for a year, with one to follow, my perspective on global finance and economics has really expanded and opened up a variety of career options. i want to pursue an MBA because i think i have a very unique set of international educational and professional skills that can be sucessfully applied in a business setting.
whats your story??
regards
rollingstone

Dude i think you should head to the states or europe to study that is if u want to be in this field inidan b- schools are very bad in international development scenerio .. they are only hard core corpoartes ... so depends if NGO/ international development is ur calling go abroad .. that what iam planning to do i jave ahd 2 years experince with an investment bank .. and now working with a ngo .... looking to go a broad there are no oportunites here.. only one ngo (nkf) comes to IIMs for jobs thats about it ....

NGO
International development
Developing countries banks
Institutions involves in social work

these are the places that the indin B SCHOOL totally suck at ...................
so depends my man on what are you pursuing