International MBA - TOEFL compulsory

Hi, Most of the international institutions asks for TOEFL score apart from GMAT. however TOEFL is exempted if medium of education is exempted. Since in most of the engineering institutions like IIT, NIT, Madras University etc… medium of in…

Hi,
Most of the international institutions asks for TOEFL score apart from GMAT. however TOEFL is exempted if medium of education is exempted.

Since in most of the engineering institutions like IIT, NIT, Madras University etc.. medium of instruction is English. Do we still need to submit our TOEFL score to them?

Pl. advice.. If that's the case, I've to book a slot for same.

Thanks
Vigu

Hi,
Most of the international institutions asks for TOEFL score apart from GMAT. however TOEFL is exempted if medium of education is exempted.

Since in most of the engineering institutions like IIT, NIT, Madras University etc.. medium of instruction is English. Do we still need to submit our TOEFL score to them?

Pl. advice.. If that's the case, I've to book a slot for same.

Thanks
Vigu

In most schools, TOEFL is not required if the candidate has been educated in English-medium institutes. A good way to show this is the 10th & 12th board marksheets that have English as a subject and Bachelors transcript that is printed in English. If this is not the case with you, advise you to take the test.

In most online MBA applications, candidates are asked about their medium of instruction for prior academic courses and their proficiency in English. Therefore, TOEFL is not required. However, there are certain schools in the US that require the TOEFL score from all international students, irrespetive of proficiency and prior medium of instruction.

Conclusion: Look at the specific requirements of the schools you plan to target and decide accordingly - contact them over the phone or drop in a mail in case of any query. Also, if you have already taken the GMAT, you still have some time to start with the Round 1 applications, it may be a good idea to take a date for TOEFL soon and get done with it: no need to study for it if you are comfortable with English. Although, you would not require it in 7-8 cases out of 10 but then why make lack of a TOEFL score a reason for not applying to a school or running around getting letters from college authorities stating that your medium of instruction was English (which may be required by some schools when you don't take the TOEFL or ILETS).

Was randomly going through some GMAT-related posts while waiting and came across a post in the Oxford Said MBA 2011-12 Aspirants Thread.

This is what I meant when I said no harm in taking the TOEFL:

I applied to Said for R1 but they told me I have to give Toefl and only then will they consider my application. My application was considered incomplete and they have rolled it over to R2 with the condition that I need to provide them with a TOEFL score before Jan 14th.

TOEFL scheduled on 21st Nov and then I will have to just wait till they start with R2 shortlisting.