Insufficient/False Work Experience

Hello Friends !! I and many of friends are trying for MBA programme of top B-schools around the world. But few of us are fresh as we have just graduated;also many of us have only 1 to 2 years of work-experience. I know foreing B-schools don’t…

Hello Friends !!

I and many of friends are trying for MBA programme of top B-schools around the world. But few of us are fresh as we have just graduated;also many of us have only 1 to 2 years of work-experience. I know foreing B-schools don't entertain fresh candidates.

But one of my friends got admitted in SDA Boconni (Italy). Though she graduated in year 2000 but she has not been regularly working in any one firm. She has shown that she has got 5-years of work-ex where as I know she has NOT! Infact, most of the time she was sitting idle and also her work ex is not of quality level. I know few others too who have lied to admissions committe about their work experience.

I invite comments on this topic. Do these candidtaes have chances of getting caught later on and are expelled? Do the expeirenced and shrewd recruiting guys catch them later on in their campus interviews about their work ex? What does the law say in this matter and is their any chance of these candidates being sued ???

Dear Sursinha,

The only thing which i can say in reply to ur mail is this........discuss ur issues...........dont do mud slingling on others........whether she got admission with correct exp or wrong exp.......is not ur lookout......leave him/her with his/her life and school.........talk abt u not abt others(negatively)........i hope u understand.

Dear Sursinha,

The only thing which i can say in reply to ur mail is this........discuss ur issues...........dont do mud slingling on others........whether she got admission with correct exp or wrong exp.......is not ur lookout......leave him/her with his/her life and school.........talk abt u not abt others(negatively)........i hope u understand.

Dear Munidhi,
The person hasn't even named who he was refering to... I don't think that constitutes "mud-slinging"

He/she was only mentioning a case to illustrate the topic's relevance... Please don't indulge in unnecessary criticism, it hampers genuine discussions...

dear all.... thank god someone started this thread.... even i'm in a similar situation..... i'm planning to quit my job at the end of the month... cos my work involves a lot of travelling.. which basically means..i'll have to sacrifice a few of my sunday mocks... if i quit this month..i'll have 3 months work ex.... but in the cat form ive mentioned work ex as on 31/12/05 as 6 months.... planning to look for a job as soon as i'm thru wid 20/11....is there anyway that the iims come to know??????.....assuming i do get calls.....n if i do, do i have to tell them that i'd quit my job to prep for cat??? does this affect my chances ......
i'm really confused at the moment.... pleeeeez throw some light.....
is there ne one out there.... who quit his/her job.... n yet got final calls....
can someone advise??? will really be appreciated..

dear all.... thank god someone started this thread.... even i'm in a similar situation..... i'm planning to quit my job at the end of the month... cos my work involves a lot of travelling.. which basically means..i'll have to sacrifice a few of my sunday mocks... if i quit this month..i'll have 3 months work ex.... but in the cat form ive mentioned work ex as on 31/12/05 as 6 months.... planning to look for a job as soon as i'm thru wid 20/11....is there anyway that the iims come to know??????.....assuming i do get calls.....n if i do, do i have to tell them that i'd quit my job to prep for cat??? does this affect my chances ......
i'm really confused at the moment.... pleeeeez throw some light.....
is there ne one out there.... who quit his/her job.... n yet got final calls....
can someone advise??? will really be appreciated..

Relax man... if you look at it logically, you aren't doing anything sneaky by telling them what you workex will be in DEC 2005... the form only wants a projected time period... its not an obligation... one could decide to quit his/her job after a few weeks when they realise that they aren't getting time to study... nothing wrong in that, is there?
Dear Munidhi,
The person hasn't even named who he was refering to... I don't think that constitutes "mud-slinging"

He/she was only mentioning a case to illustrate the topic's relevance... Please don't indulge in unnecessary criticism, it hampers genuine discussions...

ok, i agree.

well guys the point over here is not only of the indian universities which come into play through CAT,XAT etc....

we need to this about this issue from foreign universities point of view as well.....

as i know so many students who submited false work ex certificates and got admissions in good universities.....

can anyone throw light on this.....

is there a chance of getting cought......

In India in the better b-schools there is almost no point in false work ex as the probability of getting caught is very high.
For the lower rung B-schools it might not even be worth it though.

Companies.. that's a different matter. Eventually companies will ask for documentation, or even verify.. depends on company to company. At ICICI they once asked a friend for documentation over 9 months after he joined; when they remembered they had to complete a file or something. And they wouldn't have fired him for that, that's for sure.

Foreign B-schools it is very useful to give workex, because of the advantages involved. Let the agent do it for you though..

For all those who think that there is no way such applicants can be caught Go through this...

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/busted-lying-on-application-25008307

Although in india things are different, indian schools have large applicant pool and hence its not possible to verify each and everything. but B-Schools abroad are getting increasingly focused on verification of the Data provided by the candidates.

Both places (India, and abroad), it's only the higher rung universities who do this.. Indian universities won't really "hire" someone to check your past, but then even most universities abroad won't.

The article, though interesting, just goes to prove how this is an exception to the rule. So lying to ivy league colleges may be out, but in general it won't be caught in lower rung colleges unless you yourself blurt it out or show it somehow.

That risk is always there :-P

In India in the better b-schools there is almost no point in false work ex as the probability of getting caught is very high.

Foreign B-schools it is very useful to give workex, because of the advantages involved. Let the agent do it for you though..

Exactly opposite of the correct thing...

Here in india even IIM A,B,C wont bother to look into verifications (atleast not till now), for they have the assurance that the candidate was good enough to crack CAT,

where as in B-Schools abroad, all the Ivys and Near-Ivys do check your stuff, and using an agent to lie on your behalf is not so smart.
1) You do not have any option of plausible deniability.
2) Admission consultants in india are generally Clueless and dumb, why would you want to authorise them to do anything on your behalf.

Sorry - I wasn't clear!

I didn't mean to say that Indian B-schools will hire someone or do background verification.

But having been to an IIM interview, and seeing the experience and worldly knowledge of the interviewers, I can say that they don't need to .. 😃 it's difficult to fool them that way.

As for consultants, I meant that they are good for getting paperwork.. and no, the better consultants are not really clueless. Not thay they're paying me :-P just that they are good for applying to second-rung colleges, with 'created' documentation.. I've seen closely how this works, with more than one friend of mine having submitted such work-ex.

But I think we all agree that it's useless to lie to a higher rung university as the risks are too high. And for the lower rung colleges, well, it may not be worth lying there as the benefits are too little.

Dear Sursinha,

If you can prooveit youdeserve to be there

hi guys,

gr8 thread man!!!!!!!! i think there is lot more to discuss on this topic.....

well guys i am a average student and planning for mba in UK!!!!!

well i am not thinking very high as far as the selection of university is concerned.....

currently i am working with WNS(bpo) on a travel related process.....
will this work exp be get counted????????
also was planning of taking a work exp certificate from my friends co. but will think about it as the last option ofcourse!!!!!!
i am trying for universities like glasgow,manchester,leeds,cardiff ............

can anyone please throw some light on this?????????
can i take the risk with these universities???????
anybody giving any views regarding this will be considered GOD!!!!!!!!!

please guys need a response for this.......

thanks,
omkar