INSEAD 2009 Applicants

Hi, I am finishing up my R1 application to INSEAD for the Jan 2009 batch. Just thought I would start a thread on to gather other people as we anxiously await the decisions! My profile: 700/3.8/3 yrs at Lehman Brothers New York. I was also …

Hi,
I am finishing up my R1 application to INSEAD for the Jan 2009 batch. Just thought I would start a thread on to gather other people as we anxiously await the decisions!
My profile:
700/3.8/3 yrs at Lehman Brothers New York.
I was also curious about the 2nd essay question, the one asking for two most substantial accomplishments. I've read in a few places that its good to include at least one accomplishment from the professional realm. Just wondering what the "applicant pool" thinks?
Good Luck!

Hi Duffman-

Good to see a new thread on INSEAD Jan'09.

I will submit my application during the weekend. Still to finish job-related essays.

Regarding the two accomplishments - though many experts suggest including 1 from profession, I believe it's personal choice. It's quite probable that of one's accomplishments the best 2 may be out of professional world.

That's the case for me and I rather stick to my conviction;)

Leaving the rest to Admissions' Committee's belief!!

cheers!

Hi,
I am finishing up my R1 application to INSEAD for the Jan 2009 batch. Just thought I would start a thread on to gather other people as we anxiously await the decisions!
My profile:
700/3.8/3 yrs at Lehman Brothers New York.
I was also curious about the 2nd essay question, the one asking for two most substantial accomplishments. I've read in a few places that its good to include at least one accomplishment from the professional realm. Just wondering what the "applicant pool" thinks?
Good Luck!

I'm submitting my app on the weekend as well after doing some last minute brushing up. I would agree that at least one be from the professional realm. Whether the second one is personal/professional is totally upto each individual.

Thanks for the reply --

The more I think about it, the more I feel I should write about at least one professional experience -- so in a way, that is my conviction now.. :)

Also, how are you guys doing with your word limits? I feel the 250 word essays are too short to include more information, and I am ending them at ~ 225 or so.

The 400-500 ones, were you need to include more info, seem too little. I fervently keep resvising my essays with this concern!

Man, I cant wait to just submit this application and party Tuesday night!!

Hi Duffman-

Good to see a new thread on INSEAD Jan'09.

I will submit my application during the weekend. Still to finish job-related essays.

Regarding the two accomplishments - though many experts suggest including 1 from profession, I believe it's personal choice. It's quite probable that of one's accomplishments the best 2 may be out of professional world.

That's the case for me and I rather stick to my conviction;)

Leaving the rest to Admissions' Committee's belief!!

cheers!

In talking to a couple ex INSEAD students as well as shortlisted applicants, the advice I've gotten on the word limits is to not exceed it by 10%. So for the 250 word essays, its fine to be around 275 words or so.

This is the formula I'm sticking to, in fact most of my essays are 10% over the limit. I've pasted all the essays into the PDF and now am just waiting to hit the "SUBMIT" button. Once done, there's no going back, so some bit of anxiety building up...

All the best to everyone!

Hi All,
A couple of queries if anyone has the answers:
1. Does the INSEAD application not require any business resume? Most other school applications seem to require one.
2. Can someone who has understood the Insead language policy explain it in simple words? 😃 Assume that one has completed ones education in English and speaks a local Indian native language which is perhaps the common theme for most Indian applicants?
Best Regards,
- TTB

1) The app itself does not require one but you will need it if preselected for an interview.

2) From what I understand you need 2 entry languages one of which has to be English. For Indians, the second one can either be your native language like Gujarati, Bengali, Punjabi etc or another language you have practical knowledge of. Then you need a basic knowledge of a third language, say Hindi for Indians, before you graduate.

I wouldn't sweat too much about the 3rd language for now.

Hope this helps!

Accomplishment Essays: Duffman, that's the way - do what reflects one the best.

Length of Essay: I too am sticking to + 10% principle - for 400 words my essays range 406-416 words...500 - it's 519, 250 it's 259 and 200 it's 218 :)

limit -> approximation :)

me thinking over and over again on Culture Shock essay.

Once done, the submission shall be a click away!

Thanks for the reply --

The more I think about it, the more I feel I should write about at least one professional experience -- so in a way, that is my conviction now.. :)

Also, how are you guys doing with your word limits? I feel the 250 word essays are too short to include more information, and I am ending them at ~ 225 or so.

The 400-500 ones, were you need to include more info, seem too little. I fervently keep resvising my essays with this concern!

Man, I cant wait to just submit this application and party Tuesday night!!

Finally clicked the submit button, uploaded the picture and paid the Euro 200 fee. Now the endless wait begins....I'll keep my fingers crossed.

That's great!

I should be done later tomorrow.

mba_europe_09 Says
Finally clicked the submit button, uploaded the picture and paid the Euro 200 fee. Now the endless wait begins....I'll keep my fingers crossed.

kewl.. =) at least you can enjoy now -- I am just wrapping things up, and should be done by later tomorrow.

Good Luck!

mba_europe_09 Says
1) The app itself does not require one but you will need it if preselected for an interview.

2) From what I understand you need 2 entry languages one of which has to be English. For Indians, the second one can either be your native language like Gujarati, Bengali, Punjabi etc or another language you have practical knowledge of. Then you need a basic knowledge of a third language, say Hindi for Indians, before you graduate.

I wouldn't sweat too much about the 3rd language for now.

Hope this helps!

1.) The 'Profile' section in your app itself would perhaps be your resume, since you're required to save 2 copies of that and present them during your interview if you're preselected.

2.)I'm not too sure about that. An INSEAD student I recently spoke to said the exit language cannot belong to the same family as your entry language, which means if you choose your native language like Bengali, Gujarati etc as your entry language, the exit language would have to be a language outside of that language family, so you have to choose French, Spanish or something else. Check out their language policy for more info:
INSEAD - MBA - Download Centre
BTW, is anybody here attending INSEAD's Mumbai event on 5th March (this Wednesday)?

Wow.. those who've already submitted must be so relieved.

I am still doing some last minute edits... hope everything goes well.

Good luck all!

1.) The 'Profile' section in your app itself would perhaps be your resume, since you're required to save 2 copies of that and present them during your interview if you're preselected.

2.)I'm not too sure about that. An INSEAD student I recently spoke to said the exit language cannot belong to the same family as your entry language, which means if you choose your native language like Bengali, Gujarati etc as your entry language, the exit language would have to be a language outside of that language family, so you have to choose French, Spanish or something else. Check out their language policy for more info:
BTW, is anybody here attending INSEAD's Mumbai event on 5th March (this Wednesday)?

How do we know well in advance about the various B-School events in different cities in India. I had plans to attend but just saw this posting at the last moment.

2) You're right about this. On reading the whole Language Policy, it clearly states that languages that are linguistically similar like Hindi and Urdu etc. cannot be used together. I guess we'll have to worry about that post acceptance, if there is one!

I too made my pocket lighter by Euros 200!

One of my recommendors is yet to submit the recommendation. So I will be after him to get it done before 5th March.

Now shall begin THE WAIT.

mba_europe_09 Says

Good Luck Folks !! I am targeting Insead too .. but will hit the 'submit' button in R2. :D
And a quick question to all - how are you utilizing the last optional essay? -
Any inputs?
Is there anything that you have not mentioned in the above essays that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? (200 words approx.) This essay is optional.

Hi Figure_Out,

the question is as clear as it can be. Utilize the space to write anything you would have liked to but was not covered in Essays (including job essays).

It could be anything: eg. an anomalous academic score or a gap in education, or some extra-curricular which is relevant with respect to your profile, or some personal condition which is relevant to your application are a few things I can think about.

A significant extra curricular may make sense, as the application does not give us space to write about EC anywhere else. (we just mention in in the Activities section).

I am sure in the flow of application you will "figure out" :)

cheers!

Good Luck Folks !! I am targeting Insead too .. but will hit the 'submit' button in R2. :D
And a quick question to all - how are you utilizing the last optional essay? -
Any inputs?
Is there anything that you have not mentioned in the above essays that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? (200 words approx.) This essay is optional.

ha ha ... I hope so. Actually, my case is probably similar to yours. My "honest accomplishments" are outside my job arena. Had the similar doubt as many other applicants might have faced - "Shouldn't I have a killer career accomplishment"? Well, I don't. Too bad. :-P

So had to spend some time 'figuring_out' what to put in the accomplishment section. Decided to be truthful. Then decided - ok, will take some time. take it easy, ask for suggestions from ppl around the web.

Thanks for your prompt suggestions,
Good Luck
SB