IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA--Free to use and modify

Hi Everyone, Background: I am studying for GMAT. Was searching for a user friendly software for Vocab Building, which user can modify according to the need. The closest I got was Crammer, must say a good one but did not get the facility t…

Hi Everyone,

Background:
I am studying for GMAT. Was searching for a user friendly software for Vocab Building, which user can modify according to the need. The closest I got was Crammer, must say a good one but did not get the facility to have word with sentence. So started developing one and here is the result of that IndiVocab.
( This is 'e'specially useful for the people who always work on the computer, may be in office.)

Its a VB based thing with the data in Excel. The code is open , if someone wants he/she can modify it or just by changing the database in Excel file one can change the wordlist.

Features:

1. You can have GMAT wordlist, or high frequency word list.
2. You can choose Number of words per hour and the delay time. e.g 7 word/hr with 30 sec delay will result in scrolling of these 7 words with a delay of 30 sec in a loop and as the hour in your computer changes the next 7 word will scroll in loop.
3. Same way for idioms.
4. 1 hour test, so you can test the words you learned in last hour.
5. Same way 1 day test.
6. Transparency, this i guess is the best feature, when you are working on ur office PC.

I struggled for such software, so thought of developing and sharing it with PG.

This is in initial phase of development, so there could be few 'Bugs' and vast scope for improvement. Pls spend 5 min on it and let me know your opinion.

Thanks
Haresh

Hi Haresh,

Very innovative and helpful.
It is so going to help for CAt prep. Thanks for all.
One query: I am not a coding person, can u share a lil insight how to add my own wordlist in this. I have mine in excel file. It has meaning, synonym and an example sentence.

Thanks & Regards,
Rachna.

Hi Haresh,

Very innovative and helpful.
It is so going to help for CAt prep. Thanks for all.
One query: I am not a coding person, can u share a lil insight how to add my own wordlist in this. I have mine in excel file. It has meaning, synonym and an example sentence.

Thanks & Regards,
Rachna.

Thanks for the kind words.

About Adding the new list:
Open Excel-->press Alt+F11 ( So tht you get VBA Editor)
Now open the IndiVocab.xls
In VBA Editor Go to Run Meue-->Reset.
Now on the left side you will see VBAProjects(Indivocab.Xls), go to-->Modules-->module1
Now clicl on Make_Sheets_Visible() and then Run Meue-->Run or simply press F5.
Now you should able to see Xls file visible. Go to the Full words worksheet.
Here you can place the words you want, but remember that Colomn C is for words D is for Meaning and E is for sentence.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks
Haresh

Hey Haresh,

keep up the good work man!! I am sure this is going to prove very helpful for people for preparing for GMAT and working simultaneously.

Thanks & Regards,
Starwalker.

Hey Haresh,

keep up the good work man!! I am sure this is going to prove very helpful for people for preparing for GMAT and working simultaneously.

Thanks & Regards,
Starwalker.

Hey I am getting a runtime error....dont know why? 😞
ABCLIKS Says
Hey I am getting a runtime error....dont know why? :-(

Hi,

that's strange.....did you put 0 as start word??? dont start with 0, start with 1..

or did you even get the main wondow of the software ( pic attached)?? like what happened after you double click on the file...?

Thanks
Haresh

Hey Haresh,

Thanks for the help. It did work. I am able to edit it as per my need.

Br/Rachna

Hi Everyone,

Background:
I am studying for GMAT. Was searching for a user friendly software for Vocab Building, which user can modify according to the need. The closest I got was Crammer, must say a good one but did not get the facility to have word with sentence. So started developing one and here is the result of that IndiVocab.
( This is 'e'specially useful for the people who always work on the computer, may be in office.)

Its a VB based thing with the data in Excel. The code is open , if someone wants he/she can modify it or just by changing the database in Excel file one can change the wordlist.

Features:

1. You can have GMAT wordlist, or high frequency word list.
2. You can choose Number of words per hour and the delay time. e.g 7 word/hr with 30 sec delay will result in scrolling of these 7 words with a delay of 30 sec in a loop and as the hour in your computer changes the next 7 word will scroll in loop.
3. Same way for idioms.
4. 1 hour test, so you can test the words you learned in last hour.
5. Same way 1 day test.
6. Transparency, this i guess is the best feature, when you are working on ur office PC.

I struggled for such software, so thought of developing and sharing it with PG.

This is in initial phase of development, so there could be few 'Bugs' and vast scope for improvement. Pls spend 5 min on it and let me know your opinion.

Thanks
Haresh

cool man!

earlier it was giving a run time error but changing 0 to 1 fixed it.

I have few questions :

Can we use it in mobile, if it has provision of opening excel??

Is it possible to modify the existing words, their meaning or adding 1 more row, as i want to add whether the word is noun/verb/adjective etc.

Currently how many words are there and what is the source of these words?
Hi,

that's strange.....did you put 0 as start word??? dont start with 0, start with 1..

or did you even get the main wondow of the software ( pic attached)?? like what happened after you double click on the file...?

Thanks
Haresh

Thanks...after changing from 0 to 1 , it worked. Awesome software , man. Kudos to you.:thumbsup:
cool man!

earlier it was giving a run time error but changing 0 to 1 fixed it.

I have few questions :

Can we use it in mobile, if it has provision of opening excel??

Is it possible to modify the existing words, their meaning or adding 1 more row, as i want to add whether the word is noun/verb/adjective etc.

Currently how many words are there and what is the source of these words?

For adding or seeing the words follow this:
About Adding the new list/viewing it
Now on the left side you will see VBAProjects(Indivocab.Xls), go to-->Modules-->module1
Here you can place the words you want, but remember that Colomn C is for words D is for Meaning and E is for sentence.

About Mobile:
Its really an innovative thought.....u can try it.
The problem i cab foresee is that: Whether mobile excel has got facility to run macro or not, then second thing is the screen size and the adjustment.

there are about 4800 words in full list and 500 for high frequency words.

let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks
Haresh
ABCLIKS Says
Thanks...after changing from 0 to 1 , it worked. Awesome software , man. Kudos to you.:thumbsup:

I will be more happy if people find it useful and if they change it as per users requirment and share it with other peoples too...

So i guess, i must say Thanks to you guys..who are using it and finding it usefull.

Thanks
Haresh
For adding or seeing the words follow this:
About Adding the new list/viewing it

About Mobile:
Its really an innovative thought.....u can try it.
The problem i cab foresee is that: Whether mobile excel has got facility to run macro or not, then second thing is the screen size and the adjustment.

there are about 4800 words in full list and 500 for high frequency words.

let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks
Haresh

hey buddy

M not able to get Make_Sheets_Visible() thing. I have added u on gmail. Hope no problem.

I just wanted to know how to add new column for part of speech.
hey buddy

M not able to get Make_Sheets_Visible() thing. I have added u on gmail. Hope no problem.

I just wanted to know how to add new column for part of speech.

'Now on the left side you will see VBAProjects(Indivocab.Xls), go to-->Modules-->module1
Now clicl on Make_Sheets_Visible() and then Run Meue-->Run or simply press F5.'

But if you still don't get it...we can discuss it on gtalk...no prob.

Regards
Haresh