Indian @ IMD MBA 2009 taking questions.

Hi, I am an Indian currently pursuing MBA 2009 @ IMD, Lausanne, Switzerland. I would be very happy to guide future aspirants on the wonderful program here at IMD. I am 34, male, Indian with 11 years of experience in FMCG sales & marketin…

Hi,

I am an Indian currently pursuing MBA 2009 @ IMD, Lausanne, Switzerland. I would be very happy to guide future aspirants on the wonderful program here at IMD.

I am 34, male, Indian with 11 years of experience in FMCG sales & marketing in India. I chose to do an MBA to further my career prospects via meaningful learning. My first choice was IMD and having got through I did not follow up with INSEAD, IIMA PGPX which were my alternate choices.

What inspired me at IMD was the small class size (90 students only), a truly multicultural environment (MBA 2009 class has 38 nationalities), an experienced and successful class profile (on an average we have 7 years of experience and the average class age is 31), internationally acclaimed professors (yes the professors teach you - every class, no teaching assitants or readers), intense 1 year program and a world renowned MBA equity (Ranked # 1 by The Economist in 2008 ).

The admission criteria is pretty stiff and exhaustive. The starting point is a very good and balanced GMAT score. A demonstrated career and educational excellence, a multifaceted personality and international experience is very important. The interview and selection process is on campus and is a full day affair. The application asks for almost 13 essays. They really go to all lengths possible to choose the best set of 90 people for the year.

The environs are truly breathtaking and inspiring. The college is set amidst lush greenery by the lake Geneva surrounded by snow capped mountains. There are amazing activities that one can do provided one finds time for it. Most of the students are here with their partners and some even with their kids. The partners sustain the participants during their hectic year by providing moral and physical support. IMD partners are very active socially and form close multicultural bonds and friendships with each other. A truly international environment.

Regards & All the best
Shibu James

Hi

I can appreciate your concern about the job situation in the current economy. Yes the situation is not as good as it was in the boom years of 2004 - 2007. The schools you have mentioned have had difficulties in 2008. However with IMD the situation has been not as drastic as those faced by the schools you mention. There are only a very few who have not yet been placed (3 months post program) and it is mainly due to the students choice of wanting something in particular. Finance in particular is facing significant strain.

The following factors work in IMD's favor
1. Relatively small class size - 90 students only. This compared to 700 - 800 students in other colleges is a very small no. to manage. The career services is able to pay individual attention to your needs. Infact understanding the economic situation the career services this year has preponed their activities by 2 months.
2. 70% of IMD students come from industry and 70% go to industry. (That does not mean that there is no career shift). The impact of the financial sector is somewhat mitigated.
3. IMD students on an average have 7 years of experience. This means that they have already been in middle or senior management roles before coming in. In a bleak scenario this is a cutting edge advantage with recruiters.

Generally speaking - most companies do not freeze recruitments they just recruit lesser. In such a situation they cut down on lesser colleges and focus on the better ones. Also on a different perspective in the current scenario where would you want to be - in the job market or in a skill development school? I feel its a nice time to be in school.

Your particular question about Indians and the risk of placements in Europe. I can speak for IMD. Of the 4 Indians in the 2008 batch, 3 have found placements in Europe. The 4th person is very particular on focusing on finance and particular about the role he wants. He has had options but chooses to stick to his wants - that confidence can only come when you have a very good pedigree MBA.

Doing an MBA outside India is a very important decision that one makes. It depends on one's situation and long term needs. The decision needs to be carefully thought out. The pros & cons would have to internally debated, the costs justified and decisions firmed. All the best.

Regards
SJ.

Hi
There are 4 Indians in the batch. The 5th Indian origin person carries a Canadian passport.
For more details you may visit IMD is a Leading Global Business School, based in Switzerland. IMD offers: Open Programs, Company Custom Programs, MBA, EMBA, World Competitiveness Yearbook. and the profiles in particular can be downloaded at http://www.imd.ch/programs/mba/upload/MBA_class_profile.pdf?
Regards
SJ.

Hi Shibu,

thanks for volunteering to clarify queries. For the 'goals' essay the space is very limited. Is it necessary that we discuss our past career moves and mention the rationale behind them?

Regards,
Arun

Hi Shibu,

I am seriously considering IMD. Is it fine to speak to you over the phone/skype. I will not take too much of your time. If this option is fine by you, kindly mail me your skype/phone no. I will call you at your convenience. If you are held up and as a result you do not prefer this option, its fine. Thanks.

Regards,
Arun

Hi Shibu,

I am seriously considering IMD. Is it fine to speak to you over the phone/skype. I will not take too much of your time. If this option is fine by you, kindly mail me your skype/phone no. I will call you at your convenience. If you are held up and as a result you do not prefer this option, its fine. Thanks.

Regards,
Arun

Hi Arun,
sorry to be pedantic! but pls dont post ur personal email id in the forum. Pls use PM to communicate your email address. pls edit your post

Shibu, thanks a lot for your effort. I would be applying to IMD. I m not yet done with gmat. So, i would shoot questions after i get a decent score!
Cheers,

Hi Arun

The essays are highly personal and the writer knows best to position it.

If you think that the past moves are essential to qualify your future aspirations - by all means go ahead. However also note that the essay has word or character limit, make sure you say everything that you wanted to say.

My suggestion will be 1) be clear, 2) be concise & 3) be choiceful.

Hope this helps

All the best
SJ.

Getting me on phone or skype will be very difficult. We have classes till 6 pm and then assignments for the next day that takes about 4/5 hrs. However you may PM me.

i have 2 yrs of experience, whether it is ok with IMD?

Hi Pawan
The average experience of the class is 7 years. The least experienced people have atleast 3 years of experience. May be you would want to position yourself better in the next 3/4 years for IMD by making relevant career steps. If you are looking for an immediate MBA, maybe a 2 year MBA should be a valuable proposition.
Regards
SJ.

Hi,
I'm glad you started this thread because this is exactly what I was looking for.

I have 6 months of internaltional workex but my international exposure is not restricted to business trips. I have been working for a virtual organaztion since the past 2 years and intereact with my team that spans 3 continents and 7 nationalities. Would this qualify as international exposure?

Im from the dreadded IT background eventhough I have moved to marketing now and have about 6 years of work ex with a 710 in GMAT.

Hi

You have sketched a very skeletal frame of your background. From whatever data that you have presented - there are unique characteristics that are of interest. Virtual organization and working across continents is interesting. Is that your primary job or something that you do on the side?

On your question on international exposure - the objective is to understand the person's adaptability & success in a multicultural environment. An IT background does not disqualify you, but just puts you into a more competitive pool. What is it that differentiates you is of importance. Your GMAT score is actually a perfect match.

However other aspects that IMD would look into are
- cultural / personality fit into a very diverse class. IMD looks for the 90 who could form the best team and not necessarily the best 90.
- career - responsibility and progression. A consistent increase in responsibility and a regular career progression is looked for.
- Leadership evidences in every day professional and personal life is very important.

Hope I have been of help

Regards
SJ.

Hi

You have sketched a very skeletal frame of your background. From whatever data that you have presented - there are unique characteristics that are of interest. Virtual organization and working across continents is interesting. Is that your primary job or something that you do on the side?

On your question on international exposure - the objective is to understand the person's adaptability & success in a multicultural environment. An IT background does not disqualify you, but just puts you into a more competitive pool. What is it that differentiates you is of importance. Your GMAT score is actually a perfect match.

However other aspects that IMD would look into are
- cultural / personality fit into a very diverse class. IMD looks for the 90 who could form the best team and not necessarily the best 90.
- career - responsibility and progression. A consistent increase in responsibility and a regular career progression is looked for.
- Leadership evidences in every day professional and personal life is very important.

Hope I have been of help

Regards
SJ.

Does IMD conduct interview over the phone? What I gathered from the website is - one has to fly out of India to just attend the interview?

IMD students/alumni

Please confirm

Thanks
Sac

IMD does interviews at Lausanne. They have a 1 round of interviews in Shangai & Singapore. Rest of the rounds are done in Lausanne.

Shibu James Says
IMD does interviews at Lausanne. They have a 1 round of interviews in Shangai & Singapore. Rest of the rounds are done in Lausanne.

That itself makes the school out of list for many candidates ...

Guess only super richie guys can even think of applying to IMD

Sac

Hi Ding exp

Without sounding as a over enthusiastic IMD ambassador, if I may - IMD is for experienced professionals, who have had significant progress in career. It is naturally expected that such candidates should have managed to make reasonable savings and are willing to use these to further their career interests. IMD positions itself as an MBA+.

IMD supports deserving candidates with loans to the level of CHF 65k. Most of the Indians in the class including me are from a solidly middle class background having reasonable success in career.

I appreciate your concern and and basis of your decision. It is very important to be comfortable when such huge career decisions are made.

All the best in your endeavours.
SJ.

Hi Ding exp

Without sounding as a over enthusiastic IMD ambassador, if I may - IMD is for experienced professionals, who have had significant progress in career. It is naturally expected that such candidates should have managed to make reasonable savings and are willing to use these to further their career interests. IMD positions itself as an MBA+.

IMD supports deserving candidates with loans to the level of CHF 65k. Most of the Indians in the class including me are from a solidly middle class background having reasonable success in career.

I appreciate your concern and and basis of your decision. It is very important to be comfortable when such huge career decisions are made.

All the best in your endeavours.
SJ.

Thanks SJ for your response. Still I believe people from developing countries - many people from such countries would not try to even apply if such restrictions are there. I personally even know many people.

Sac

Thanks SJ for taking up the questions related to IMD

I want to have a feedback from you on my profile for IMD:

- Nationality: Indian
- Total work ex: 6.5 years (MNCs)
- International work ex: Out of the 6.5 yrs, 3.5 yrs (majorly Europe)
- Total International exposure (including education): 4 years (including 3.5 yrs from above)
- Industry: IT Services (ERP consultant)
- GMAT: 680
- Education: Engineering + PG (India)
- Community work: being a member of the CSR (corporate) team, helped establish an English medium school in a village

In addition to a feedback, it would be great if you help me with following:

- I have only IT related work experience, is that a drawback?

- I feel my GMAT score is a bit on the lower side, your comments and if you know could be please share the range for the current batch?

Thanks for your help!

Hello SJ

I have applied in the April deadline for 2010 class. I have heard that IMD focuses a lot on ensuring diversity in its batch and as a result doesnt take more than 4-5 Indians or for that matter any nationality in the class. Are you aware of any Indians been offered admission in the Feb deadline because that would mean 1 less position for Indian applicants :)

Cheers

LK

Hi Shibu,

I have applied for the April1 deadline.

Do you know by when the adcom revert on the application status.

I also understands that there are large no. of Indian who apply and it may be a difficult proposition,esp in these economic times, when applicants would be even larger.

Regards,