Improving your Grammar

In this article, we shall discuss questions pertaining to Grammar that appear in the Verbal Ability section of the CAT and other Business school entrance exams. To some extent, there has been a change in the kind of questions that do appear in …

In this article, we shall discuss questions pertaining to Grammar that appear in the Verbal Ability section of the CAT and other Business school entrance exams.
To some extent, there has been a change in the kind of questions that do appear in the CAT exam (less so for other exams such as FMS, NMIMS etc where the change has been less pronounced). In earlier CAT papers, questions involving sentence correction, fill-in-the-blanks etc could be seen. These types of questions are found to a lower extent these days.
The questions in this section generally test your knowledge of certain correct ways of speaking and writing the language. The emphasis is on contextual usage of elements of grammar, including when a particular phrase or idiom may be appropriately used.
Similarly, there are often questions on concepts such as subject-verb agreement, correct parallelism, which tense in appropriate given a particular context etc. This means that the test taker should be familiar with the ways of structuring a sentence in the English language correctly.

Preparation Strategy
Based on the above, the first step for the student is to have a basic knowledge of the rules of grammar as applicable while speaking or writing English.
Beyond this, one has to be familiar with the appropriate and contextual usage of these rules. This shall be discussed in subsequent parts of this article.
After having got a good hold over the basics, the student should get hold of good study material and practice! The basics of Grammar are given in books like Wren and Martin.
Also, it is important for the test-taker to have a fair idea of the kind of questions that appear in various entrance examinations. This is so that he can tailor his preparation accordingly. Looking through the questions of previous CAT exams and taking a diagnostic test would help in this connection

Rules of Grammar and their applications:
We shall now discuss certain important rules of the language and their applications.
Understanding these is the first step in doing well in the Verbal Ability section.

1. Subject-Verb Agreement:
When singular subjects are connected using the words 'or' or 'nor', a singular verb should be used after that. However, when there is a singular and a plural subject in the same sentence connected with 'or' or 'nor', the verb agrees with the nearest subject (noun or pronoun).
Examples:
It is incorrect to say "either A or B have drunk this" or "neither A nor B have drunk this". The correct way of writing the sentence would be "either A or B has drunk this" or "neither A nor B has drunk this" This is because both A and B are singular
However, when we have one plural subject in the sentence, the verb agrees with the closest noun or pronoun. So, the correct sentences are:
"Neither Ram nor his friends are playing" and
"Neither Ram's friends nor Ram is playing"
'Either he or is brothers are going out'
'Either his brothers or he is going out'
2. Related to the rule above, when the subject of a sentence has two or more nouns or pronouns connected by the word 'and', then we always use a plural verb.
For example:
Ram and Shyam are playing outside
He and his friends are playing cricket
We shall continue with more such rules in subsequent articles on Grammar.

In the first article on Grammar, I mentioned the need to know certain rules of Grammar. Do not merely try to memorize these, but try to improve your knowledge and ability to use this through regular practice.
This can be done through reading good literature, writing and speaking in English and also, doing practice exercises.
Now, in this article, I shall tell you about some more rules:
1. If a sentence contains a phrase, separated from the subject and the verb by commas on either side, then the verb agrees with the subject only (and not the noun or pronoun in the phrase).
For example:
The politician, along with his attendants, is receiving presents (not 'are receiving presents)
The captain, as well as his team, is happy (not 'are happy')
The king, along with his ministers, is outside (not 'are outside')

2. Some words always are used with singular verbs. These are:
Everyone
Someone
No one
One of
Somebody
Everybody
Each
Each one
Either
Anybody
Anyone
'Many a'
Some examples:
Everybody was outside (not 'everybody were outside')
Each one must do his duty (not 'their duty')
Someone is outside (not 'someone are outside')
Everybody was making noise (not 'were making noise')
No one was capable of this (not 'were capable')
Either answer is correct (not 'are correct')
Everybody respects him (not 'respect him')
Many a game was won by sheer luck (not 'were')
One of the boys was destined to succeed (not 'were')
He is one of those who appear correct (not 'appears')
If anyone calls, take his/ her number (not 'take their number')
However, there is one exception:
The pronoun 'none' can take both singular or plural forms, depending on the particular context.

3. Always singular
Some nouns are always singular. These apply to nouns dealing with currency, subjects etc.
Examples:
Ten Rupees is kept on the table (not 'are')
Civics is an interesting subject (not 'are an interesting subject')
Mathematics is useful (not 'are')

4. Always Plural
Similarly, some nouns are always plural. These include nouns such as 'scissors', 'jeans', 'shorts', 'trousers' etc
Examples:
The scissors have become blunt (not 'has become')
The trousers are made of cotton (not 'is made of cotton')

In this article, we shall continue to discuss some rules of Grammar and their applications. Do remember that these rules are not intended for learning by rote/ mugging up-you have to practice these in actual day-to-day speech, writing etc.
1. Collective nouns:
Collective nouns are singular. So whenever words such as 'team', 'Committee', 'group', 'family', 'cabinet', 'cluster of grapes', 'box of apples' etc are used, the verb needs to be singular
Examples:
1. The Committee is meeting tomorrow (not 'are meeting tomorrow')
2. The family is the primary unit (not 'are the primary unit')
3. The family is important (not 'are')
4. The team is in the field (not 'are in the field')
5. A box of apples is on the table (not 'are')
Related to what we said in an earlier point about the usage of phrases in a sentence, separated using commas or brackets:
1. The Committee, along with others, is meeting tomorrow
2. The Chairman, and his team, is coming tomorrow
Exception
However, when there is a division in the group, we use the plural form, to indicate the division.
Examples:
The jury are divided in opinion (not 'is')

2. Universal Truths
For 'Universal Truths' sentences are always in the present tense.
Examples:
1.'He said that the earth is round' (not 'was round')
2.'She said that the sun rises in the east' (not 'rose in the east')

3. Habitual action
For habitual action, the present indefinite tense needs to be used.
Examples:
1.'He always praises you' (not 'he is always praising you')
2.'He always speaks the truth'

4. Use of 'Will and Shall'
'Will' and 'shall' cannot be used twice in the same sentence.
Example:
1.'I shall meet him if he comes' is correct. ('I shall meet him if he shall/ will come' is not)
2.'I shall do this if he agrees' is correct (not 'I shall do this if he will agree')

In this article, we shall discuss questions pertaining to Grammar that appear in the Verbal Ability section of the CAT and other Business school entrance exams.
To some extent, there has been a change in the kind of questions that do appear in the CAT exam (less so for other exams such as FMS, NMIMS etc where the change has been less pronounced). In earlier CAT papers, questions involving sentence correction, fill-in-the-blanks etc could be seen. These types of questions are found to a lower extent these days.
The questions in this section generally test your knowledge of certain correct ways of speaking and writing the language. The emphasis is on contextual usage of elements of grammar, including when a particular phrase or idiom may be appropriately used.
Similarly, there are often questions on concepts such as subject-verb agreement, correct parallelism, which tense in appropriate given a particular context etc. This means that the test taker should be familiar with the ways of structuring a sentence in the English language correctly.

Preparation Strategy
Based on the above, the first step for the student is to have a basic knowledge of the rules of grammar as applicable while speaking or writing English.
Beyond this, one has to be familiar with the appropriate and contextual usage of these rules. This shall be discussed in subsequent parts of this article.
After having got a good hold over the basics, the student should get hold of good study material and practice! The basics of Grammar are given in books like Wren and Martin.
Also, it is important for the test-taker to have a fair idea of the kind of questions that appear in various entrance examinations. This is so that he can tailor his preparation accordingly. Looking through the questions of previous CAT exams and taking a diagnostic test would help in this connection

We shall now discuss certain important rules of the language and their applications.
Understanding these is the first step in doing well in the Verbal Ability section.

When singular subjects are connected using the words 'or' or 'nor', a singular verb should be used after that. However, when there is a singular and a plural subject in the same sentence connected with 'or' or 'nor', the verb agrees with the nearest subject (noun or pronoun).
Examples:
- It is incorrect to say "either A or B have drunk this" or "neither A nor B have drunk this". The correct way of writing the sentence would be "either A or B has drunk this" or "neither A nor B has drunk this" This is because both A and B are singular
However, when we have one plural subject in the sentence, the verb agrees with the closest noun or pronoun. So, the correct sentences are:
- "Neither Ram nor his friends are playing" and
- "Neither Ram's friends nor Ram is playing"
- 'Either he or is brothers are going out'
- 'Either his brothers or he is going out'
2. Related to the rule above, when the subject of a sentence has two or more nouns or pronouns connected by the word 'and', then we always use a plural verb.
For example:
- Ram and Shyam are playing outside
- He and his friends are playing cricket

Point 1 -Welcome to PG..

Point 2 - There may be athread existing for Grammar usage already where this could have been posted

Point 3 - When Copy pasting stuff please quote your source - In this case MBA Universe - CAT 2010 and MBA Entrance Exams Percentages | MBAUnivesre.com

On a lighter note - Be wary of a forum that cannot spell "Grammar" correctly in their URL.!!!!

(Check URL ..of Link)

In this article, we shall examine some more facets of English Grammar.

1. Two actions both in past
This is an important type of question that appears in entrance exams. If there are two actions that both occurred in the past, then which tense should you use for both? The answer is that for the one that occurred earlier, the past perfect tense should be used.
For example:

1. I reached there before he came is wrong. Why? Because for the earlier action (your reaching there), the past perfect tense needs to be used. The correct sentence is therefore I had reached there before he came.
  2. The movie had started before I reached
  3. The game had commenced before I switched on the TV

2. Plural form for wishes/ desires
Another important type of question/ rule of grammar from the test perspective. While expressing wishes or desires, use the plural form.
Examples:
  1. I wish I were a king
  2. I wish I were a bird
  3. He acted as if he were a king
  4. He behaves as though he were my boss
  5. If he were here.. (not if he was here)

3. Phrases that go together
There are certain phrases that always go together. These cannot be used in any other form. Some such phrases are:

1. else is always followed by but
  2. no sooner is always followed by than
  3. too is always used with to
  4. hardly/ scarcely must be followed by when
  5. the same is always followed by that
  6. although is always followed by yet
  7. I is followed by he (not him)
  8. you can be followed by him and me

Examples:
  1. It is nothing else but fraud
  2. No sooner had he come than I met him (not no sooner had he come when I met him)
  3. He was too big to fit through the hole (you cannot just say he is too big or too good)
  4. Hardly had he come when I met him
  5. This is the same person that came yesterday (not who came yesterday)
  6. Although he was aging, yet he was a good fielder
  7. Besides you and me, they are also coming (not besides you and I)
  8. Along with you and me, they are also coming (not along with you and I)
  9. I agree to you and him (not you and he)
In this article, we shall examine some more facets of English Grammar.

1. Two actions both in past
This is an important type of question that appears in entrance exams. If there are two actions that both occurred in the past, then which tense should you use for both? The answer is that for the one that occurred earlier, the past perfect tense should be used.
For example:

1. I reached there before he came is wrong. Why? Because for the earlier action (your reaching there), the past perfect tense needs to be used. The correct sentence is therefore I had reached there before he came.
  2. The movie had started before I reached
  3. The game had commenced before I switched on the TV

2. Plural form for wishes/ desires
Another important type of question/ rule of grammar from the test perspective. While expressing wishes or desires, use the plural form.
Examples:
  1. I wish I were a king
  2. I wish I were a bird
  3. He acted as if he were a king
  4. He behaves as though he were my boss
  5. If he were here.. (not if he was here)

There are certain phrases that always go together. These cannot be used in any other form. Some such phrases are:

1. else is always followed by but
  2. no sooner is always followed by than
  3. too is always used with to
  4. hardly/ scarcely must be followed by when
  5. the same is always followed by that
  6. although is always followed by yet
  7. I is followed by he (not him)
  8. you can be followed by him and me

Examples:
  1. It is nothing else but fraud
  2. No sooner had he come than I met him (not no sooner had he come when I met him)
  3. He was too big to fit through the hole (you cannot just say he is too big or too good)
  4. Hardly had he come when I met him
  5. This is the same person that came yesterday (not who came yesterday)
  6. Although he was aging, yet he was a good fielder
  7. Besides you and me, they are also coming (not besides you and I)
  8. Along with you and me, they are also coming (not along with you and I)
  9. I agree to you and him (not you and he)

can any one confirm if the rules are correct ? and used ? specially

thnx soumya !

Wow thank you soumya32 my basic English grammar is not that much good and you have explained everything nicely here, I'll try to use for increase my skills Thanks

Preparation Strategy

Examples:
It is incorrect to say "either A or B have drunk this" or "neither A nor B have drunk this". The correct way of writing the sentence would be "either A or B has drunk this" or "neither A nor B has drunk this" This is because both A and B are singular
"Neither Ram nor his friends are playing" and
"Neither Ram's friends nor Ram is playing"
'Either he or is brothers are going out'
'Either his brothers or he is going out'
For example:
Ram and Shyam are playing outside
He and his friends are playing cricket

it helped me a lot

it's really very helpful content .

soumya can you some basic idiea over "preposition".

very useful...... thank you so much!!

Very useful!keep posting puys!! Wud be more helpful for us if frequency increases!

In this article, we shall continue to discuss some rules of Grammar and their applications. Do remember that these rules are not intended for learning by rote/ mugging up-you have to practice these in actual day-to-day speech, writing etc.
1. Collective nouns:
Collective nouns are singular. So whenever words such as 'team', 'Committee', 'group', 'family', 'cabinet', 'cluster of grapes', 'box of apples' etc are used, the verb needs to be singular
Examples:
1. The Committee is meeting tomorrow (not 'are meeting tomorrow')
2. The family is the primary unit (not 'are the primary unit')
3. The family is important (not 'are')
4. The team is in the field (not 'are in the field')
5. A box of apples is on the table (not 'are')
Related to what we said in an earlier point about the usage of phrases in a sentence, separated using commas or brackets:
1. The Committee, along with others, is meeting tomorrow
2. The Chairman, and his team, is coming tomorrow
Exception
However, when there is a division in the group, we use the plural form, to indicate the division.
Examples:
The jury are divided in opinion (not 'is')

2. Universal Truths
For 'Universal Truths' sentences are always in the present tense.
Examples:
1.'He said that the earth is round' (not 'was round')
2.'She said that the sun rises in the east' (not 'rose in the east')

3. Habitual action
For habitual action, the present indefinite tense needs to be used.
Examples:
1.'He always praises you' (not 'he is always praising you')
2.'He always speaks the truth'

4. Use of 'Will and Shall'
'Will' and 'shall' cannot be used twice in the same sentence.
Example:
1.'I shall meet him if he comes' is correct. ('I shall meet him if he shall/ will come' is not)
2.'I shall do this if he agrees' is correct (not 'I shall do this if he will agree')

very useful...... thank you so much!!

welcme guys

very useful article

Prepositions are a class of words used to describe the relationships between nouns and/or pronouns in a sentence. These words generally, come before a noun or a pronoun. Even as I write you can see that "come before "A" noun". There are more than a hundred prepositions in English and the most common and the frequently used are, "about, above, across, after, against, along, among, around, at, before, behind, below, beneath, beside, between, beyond, but, by, despite, down, during, except, for, from, in, inside, into, like, near, of, off, on, onto, out, outside, over, past, since, through, throughout, till, to, toward, under, underneath, until, up, upon, with, within, without".

Please continue this thread.. very useful

thank buddy

phoenix0203 Says
can someone clarify the usage of 'who' and 'whom'....just read wren n martin...n i m quite confused...:(

Try this

The difference between who and whom

This helped me clearly understand the diff. I can easily tell who from whom now just by following these tricks